Hatchet 2

danvader123@hotmail.co.uk

Bloody Disgusting following his epic, WAYYY unrated panel (featuring EIGHT deaths!), Adam Green promised that Hatchet 2 is 100% un-compromised (and that includes going out unrated!). "I had complete creative control this time. You notice that my name is above the title now - that's not a 'status' thing. It's the fact that nobody said anything; I had no script notes, no cast notes, no anything. Everyone was involved, but I had final say. This movie is pure, 100% me, and that was something I couldn't pass up. Everything else I do is not really like that. So this was a good opportunity - the movie itself is exactly what I wanted it to be." Green also promises that we will be seeing a teaser trailer very soon, and that both 3 and 4 are still in the cards. Look for the full interview later this week!

• 3 weeks later...

Usually when I start off a set visit report, the story begins for this writer as I walk onto the set. For Hatchet II, however, the story starts about three years earlier than that. See, in October 2007 I was just starting off my horror journalism career, and one of my very first in-person interviews while visiting LA was an up-and-coming horror director, Adam Green.

Green, whom I met that summer in Chicago at Flashback Weekend while he was there promoting Hatchet, was one of the key factors in getting me to follow my passion for writing and for horror. True to his supportive roots, Green agreed to meet with me while I was in town to talk about his throwback to the slasher genre. During the interview we started talking about Hatchet II and the future of his potential franchise, and Green mentioned he wasn’t sure if he’d be the one to bring Victor Crowley back to the big screen for fans. It wasn’t until recently though that I came to learn just what was holding him back from working on Hatchet II.

“I passed on directing Hatchet II five different times before saying yes,†said Green. “I actually hated Hatchet by the time it came out. It took so much out of my life that I needed to go and do other types of movies before I could come back for this. If I had done Hatchet II three years ago, I don’t think it would be half the movie it is now.â€

So is Hatchet II everything Green had been hoping for all these years? Based on what I experienced during my set visit in Los Angeles, I think the fans will be more than pleased with what Green and his cast and crew have cooked up this time.

Now, with all those doubts about coming back for Hatchet II long behind Green, I asked the writer/director to talk about that first moment of being back in the swamps with Victor Crowley and his new batch of victims.

Green said, “I feel like the biggest moment of the entire shoot for me on Hatchet II was that first shot when we were set to roll cameras. Here I am standing five years later after the first shot on Hatchet, and I am standing there with mostly the same people who worked on that project. You could hear us cheering all the way to Pasadena with how loud we were right before we began. It was an amazing feeling.â€

As I entered the soundstage in Silver Lake this past January, the first thing I noticed was the swamp that had been carefully constructed, mimicking the Louisiana swamps that serve as Victor Crowley’s deadly stomping grounds. However, that authenticity came with a price I soon learned as I was handed a face mask and was encouraged to wear it to avoid any sort of spore-related illness that had plagued both the cast and crew while filming.

h2ex1.jpg

“Because our art director is so amazing, we ended up with a real swamp on our soundstage - everything kept growing, which was surreal and definitely unexpected,†explained Green, “but when you have plants and trees growing indoors like that, subsequently everyone started getting sick. We had to start wearing these masks; then people got hit with swine flu, and we even had someone swallow part of a fork and get rushed to the emergency room. We kept going even though we were getting hit with the weirdest s*** imaginable.â€

Part of how the movie kept its momentum despite the rampant illness that plagued the set was the ‘get it done’ attitude of many of the cast and crew on Hatchet II, particularly actor AJ Bowen. Imagine my surprise as Bowen approached me during my set visit as one of the PA’s working that particular day.

For the record, I think Bowen is one of the more exciting genre actors working in horror today, and I found out that day he makes one hell of a cup of coffee, too.

“We shot for 20 days in Los Angeles, and I was supposed to be off for four of those days,†said Bowen. “Three of those days I came in to work on set, and the fourth day I just went to hang out. I never wanted to be away from set; it was that infectious being there. Adam really knows how to pull together the right people to work together, and I know I wasn’t the only one who pitched in to help out when we needed it. For all of us, we just wanted to make sure the movie got made so we did what we could do to help out.â€

That feeling of family was something intentional on Green’s part when he began putting together the cast and crew for Hatchet II. The writer/director said, “We started talking to the cast before we had the script finished. Everyone involved was a friend of mine so there really was a feeling of family on set, which is what I wanted for this project. But even when you’re working with family, there’s still a certain level of pressure on you as the director because you don’t want to let anyone down - whether it’s the cast, the crew or even the fans who have been loyal to you since Day One.â€

Bowen, who describes his character Layton as “a lover, not a fighter†talked about how Green’s infectious enthusiasm drew him to the project initially. “When Adam called me, the script for Hatchet II hadn’t even been written yet, but he wanted me to be a part of it, and I signed up just like that,†explained Bowen. “What’s really cool is he then wrote the part of Layton specifically with me in mind so he could get the right performance out of me and play to my strengths but still give fans a chance to see a different side of me. What I can tell you about Layton without giving too much away is that he’s definitely a lover, not a fighter.â€

h2group.jpg

For Bowen, though, Hatchet II has been more than just another acting job. It has been the catalyst for a whole new chapter in his career. The actor said, “I’ve been fortunate that two of the bigger projects I was involved with before Hatchet II made the festival rounds, and as an actor that can take a lot of your time. After I finished filming both The Signal and The House of the Devil, I had to work on promoting The Signal and after that went right into promoting House of the Devil. One day it hit me that I hadn’t worked on a feature in a very long time, and I felt like I was at an impasse with acting.â€

“My wife was out of town, and I started thinking about returning to culinary school,†Bowen added. “I was literally about to call her one morning to tell her my decision, and just as I was getting ready to call, Adam called me and asked me to meet with him at the ArieScope offices. That day he asked me to be part of Hatchet II, and that really helped reinvigorate me as an actor. Since Hatchet II I’ve worked on five projects that are all going somewhere, and most of that is due to Green making that one phone call. This project has been nothing but a blessing for me and my career.â€

In Hatchet II the one surviving character from Hatchet would need to return: Marybeth, the loner in search of her missing father and brother who fell victim to Victor Crowley. For the sequel, though, Green recast the role previously held by Tamara Feldman with one of horror’s premier scream queens, Danielle Harris.

“Danielle actually auditioned for the part of Marybeth for the first Hatchet, but I was scared back then if I had too many genre names in the cast, people wouldn’t take the movie seriously,†explained Green. “When we were getting ready to start thinking about Hatchet II, Danielle was the first call I made. This time Marybeth is not a victim; she turns into a badass and has to carry most of the movie on her shoulders. Danielle amazed me every day she was on set - she was such a warrior.â€

Another bold casting choice Green made was asking "Master of Horror" writer/director Tom Holland to be part of the cast as Marybeth’s uncle, Bob. Tom, who is best known to horror fans as the man who created Chucky and gave us the sexy Jerry Dandridge, said he was probably the person most surprised that Green asked him to be part of the cast of Hatchet II.

Holland said, “I was flabbergasted when Adam asked me. We had become friends over the years at the Masters of Horror dinners. One night Adam and his now wife Rileah had me and (my wife) Kathi over for dinner, and he asked me right there. You really could have knocked me over with a feather after he was done asking.â€

Most horror fans might be surprised to learn that Holland actually worked as an actor very early in his career. We spoke about how it felt being on that side of the camera after such a long time. “Acting again was harder than I thought. It’s not like riding a bicycle because it’s a muscle that has to be exercised. It’s an art form, but it’s also a technique. It takes practice, which is why so many actors spend so much time in class.â€

Holland credits a lot of his ease back in front of the camera to Harris, who helped him get back into the swing of acting. “There were a few times where Danielle saved my performance on set,†explained Holland. “She connected with me and brought me back into the scenes. She would help me forget about the camera, and because of her the lines I would forget came back and flowed. Danielle’s a terrific actress, and I will always be thankful for the experience to collaborate with her and everyone on Hatchet II.â€

h2ex2.jpg

From what I experienced on set, Green really did have a solid family in place on Hatchet II. During some of the stunt set-ups between takes, most of the crew and cast would chat about shots, ask how people were feeling, and make jokes with each other. It was remarkable seeing everyone being so passionate despite the challenges they were facing while filming.

“Part of the charm of making the first Hatchet was the guerilla filmmaking it took to get it made, and I didn’t want Hatchet II to feel completely different than it either so our crew really worked with me to keep with that original spirit,†said Green.

Part of what was different for Hatchet II was giving Victor Crowley (played by Kane Hodder) a bit more to do this time around. “We’ve refined Victor’s makeup so he can move better, and we gave him more of a story this time around, too. As a fan I always hate when franchises change the villain during sequels so we didn’t change too much, out of respect to the fans,†Green added.

One other big change this time around for Hatchet II is a much bigger body count. “We have 17 kills this time, as opposed to the seven kills from the first Hatchet, so we have a lot of cool s*** cooked up for fans,†explained Green. “We have a bigger budget this time so we got to experiment more than on the first Hatchet. Everything about this film is bigger than the first, and that includes the stunts. One day we had blood mortar cannons that shot off, and there was not one inch of our set that wasn’t covered in blood. I was working inside Victor’s shed, and somehow I was still covered. It was really badass.â€

Blood mortars and body count aside, Bowen said that Hatchet II will definitely leave fans satisfied. “All the questions from the first Hatchet are answered. We pick up right where the first Hatchet left off. The second has some insane gore, but aesthetically, tonally and visually, it still feels like the first film. I’ve seen all the kills, and fans are going to love it. It’s definitely a darker, more serious Hatchet film than the first, but it still has the heart and humor at its core.â€

Green, who has become well known as someone who's loyal to both the genre and his supporters, said, “The first Hatchet was a love letter to the genre. The second Hatchet is a love letter to all the fans that supported me along the way, believed in me and promoted the hell out of the movie. I just hope I deliver for all of them because they’re the reason I keep getting to do what I love.â€

Hatchet II will be having its world premiere at the London Film4 FrightFest (August 26-30). Hit up the link for more details.

now this is y im going to frightfest i cant wait for this on the big screen! plus get to meet some of the cast and the director ,what more could u ask for! i was hoping tony todd will b there but ive been told he cant make it a little bit gutted but meeting kane will make up for that!adam green said in a interview that he has some surprises aswell so what could they be?

Here is the review straight from fright fest.

Hatchet II is the sequel to the 2006 slasher by director, and Frightfest favourite, Adam Green.

The original film tells the tale of Victor Crowley, a hideously disfigured character who was accidentally killed after a Halloween prank gone wrong, who comes back to life to terrorize a group of ghost seeking tourists exploring the swamp he once lived in. A spoiler alert for those who haven’t seen it… The film ends with the main protagonist, Marybeth, being pulled into the swamp by Victor, with seemingly no hope of escape.

The sequel begins seamlessly from where the first left off, with Marybeth (Danielle Harris) managing to escape the clutches of Victor Crowley (Kane Hodder).

Immediately saved from the swamp, Marybeth quickly out-stays her welcome with her rescuer once he learns whose daughter she is, starting her on a path to find out exactly what her and her family's connection to Crowley is.

Once made aware of her families involvement in the circumstances of the swamp, Marybeth returns to finish off Crowley once and for all and retrieve the bodies of her family.

For those who haven't seen the original Hatchet, the first 15 minutes may be a bit difficult to get into, the acting and script is over the top to the point of being ridiculous and the kill scenes are equally outrageous. Once settled into the rhythm of the film though Hatchet II quickly becomes supremely enjoyable precisely for those reasons.

Green has obviously learned a lot since his debut; directing Frozen and Spiral, and producing Grace, have clearly honed his skills, a fact he attests to himself during the Q&A stating how hard it is for him to watch his first film without cringing. Hatchet II is testament to how far he's come, filled with tight Spielberg-esque shots throughout, focusing the action on the kills or scares as required.

The kill scenes are bigger and more gruesome than before; disembowelment, decapitation (primarily by way of the jaw), power tools and sheer brute force are brought horrifically and humorously to life; which, despite the bigger budget, were all crafted from the FX guy's 90-year-old aunt's garage!

Fans of Tony Todd (Candyman) will be pleased to know his short lived cameo as Reverend Zombie has a much bigger and more fleshed out role in Hatchet II, putting him front and center for a significant amount of screen time. And with Hatchet, giving Hodder his first on screen tears, Hatchet II finally gives him a sex scene.

Ultimately fans of the original are not going to be disappointed, those looking for a film with more laughs than scares will love it and classic horror fans are sure to squeal with delight every time one of the huge number of cameos, homages and nods to other horror films pop up on screen.

While seemingly wrapped up tighter than a 5th century Chinese girl's feet, this may not be the end for Victor Crowley, with Green stating that he'd like to do Hatchet III and having expressed an interest in 3D (Why Adam? Why???), expect more axe mayhem in the future.

A cracking start to the 2010 London Frightfest with still two more films for the night!

just got back from frightfest had an amazin time loved hatchet 2 it was so funny i laughed all the way through it! met kane hodder,tony todd,danielle harris and adam green along with david schoilfield,jake west,joe lynch and loads more too had a great time got some great pictures aswell!! my review of hatchet 2 is go watch it!! some of the death scenes and amazin and funny at the same time!!

• 2 weeks later...

here is the poster for Hatchet 2:

hatchet2postersmall2.jpg

Hatchet II is arriving in theaters unrated on October 1 and the first clip is now online. Check it out below and enjoy other Victor Crowley-related goodies right here. Stay tuned for exclusive coverage from the film here at Shock

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=16500