SAW 3D

danvader123@hotmail.co.uk

Bloody sat down to talk exclusively with Tobin Bell and director Kevin Greutert about the final (so they say) installment of their now Guinness World Record holding series. One interesting new element in this entry is that for the first time, we get to see bystanders react to a trap, as it is placed in a glass case in the middle of a park. Greutert tells us: "We had 400 extras and it started to rain. It was a difficult shoot, but it was so fun. It's just so different than the rest of Saw. We wanted to go way over the top and do something very exciting." Bell adds, "No trap has ever had spectators. The slightest change in dynamic, going outside, makes you go 'Wow!' - that's on a whole new level in a certain way, it certainly changes the perspective." Greutert reveals that there are quite a few exterior scenes in the film, as opposed to the previous entries which were all primary soundstages. Look for the full interview later this week. Saw 3D now opens October 29th, putting it up against Wes Craven's My Soul To Take instead of Paranormal Activity 2 (on Saw 7's original opening date of October 22nd).

Lionsgate is running with the tagline "In Mind-Blowing 3D" premiering their second motion poster over at UGO that features Jigsaw having is brains blown all over the place. It's pretty cool; check it out inside. And if you missed the news, Lionsgate has shifted the Kevin Greutert directed Saw 3D to October 29 in order to avoid battling Paranormal Activity 2, instead, it will go toe-to-toe with Wes Craven's post-converted 3-D horror My Soul to Take. Again, I expect Universal to retreat until 2011. Only time will tell. Check it out at

http://www.fangoria.com/index.php?option=c...&Itemid=167

Both Lionsgate and the producers at Twisted Pictures have been pushing the idea that Saw 3D, arriving in theaters October 29, will be the end of the franchise (even though it's been publicly stated that 8 films were planned). Actress Besty Russell, who plays Jigsaw's wife, Jill, told PopWrap that an eighth film has already been conceived. "Before we thought it was ending [with 'Saw 7'], the writers came up with an unbelievable idea [for 'Saw 8']," Betsy revealed. "It's an amazing story that I would love to see." Did anybody really believe Saw 3D would be the end? I guess if it were to bomb at the box office we'll be having a completely different conversation.

Yesterday we told you about a recent interview with Betsy Russell, who plays Jigsaw's wife, Jill, in the Saw franchise. She told press that, even though Lionsgate and Twisted have touted Saw 3D as the final Jigsaw game, an eighth film had already been conceived. Co-writer Patrick Melton writes Bloody Disgusting with a little clarification. "To clarify, Betsy has the story half correct," he explains. "At one point, we had an idea for two more movies. But after VI opened, we decided to combine everything into one last film, which is SAW 3D. This one is the last shebang!" There you have it, straight from the writer's mouth! Saw 3D opens on October 29, if you want more, temp them by seeing this.

Brace yourself, this is it...

If Lionsgate and Twisted are to be believed, this could be the last time we try to get Tobin Bell to spill some secrets about his newest outing as Jigsaw, as Saw 3D is said to be the last installment in this legendary (and Guinness World Record-winning) franchise. Our own BC sat (actually stood) with Bell and director Kevin Greutert (returning to the chair after helming the underrated sixth entry) on the floor of Comic Con to pick their brains about the newest sequel, including what it was like working in 3D and having Dr. Gordon himself back in the mix. Both men are the only two (besides the producers) who have been involved with every single film of the series, so it was a fitting pairing as we discuss Jigsaw's final game.

Bloody Disgusting: Besides the 3D, the big thing is that this one is the last one. I personally don't believe it, but if it IS the last, when was that decision made – was it while you were making it, or was it before it was even written?

Tobin Bell: It wasn't made in either of our presences! We were not consulted! (laughs)

Kevin Greutert: It wasn't our decision but the script was written to be the last.

TB: I said that tongue in cheek, we've been talking about it for a while. I think it makes perfect sense, because there are some wonderful wrap-ups in this film, and at a certain point in time you have to ask: “Have we told the story we want to tell?†And it was such a good opportunity, to tie up some loose ends in this film, and so we grabbed that opportunity, and there's no better time to do it. And I hope that the fans are satisfied and agree with us that it's time.

KG: And it was important to us to end it on a high note. Make the best film, and that's it.

BD: We don't have to get into it, but obviously you didn't have as much prep time on this one as you would have liked – did the addition of the 3D sort of encumber you, or did you look at it as a good challenge?

KG: Well I had wanted to do a 3D movie for a long time, and we tried to do Saw VI that way, but it wasn't available at the time; the technology wasn't there. It was obviously hard, but I think it worked out well. We had very good technicians that came along with the cameras, a company in Toronto, and there was some hand holding, some good advice. But everyone really embraced it, and as it turns out it wasn't this huge technical and aesthetic nightmare and conundrum that maybe we were paranoid about. As it turns out we were able to make the film in a very similar style to the other Saw movies: we kept the energy going, the editorial style is similar... if anything it's just a richer visual experience.

BD: Talk about Cary, because they've been trying to get him back; this wasn't the first time he's been asked, but it's the first time they've been successful. I know you can't give away much, I don't know if you (Tobin) even worked with him at all...

TB: Well Dr Gordon's character is a component that fans have talked about for a long time - you know, what his fate was. So being able to get him back into the film and tie some of that up is going to be something that's a real high point for fans. I'm excited about that; I think it really helped the film to have him. He's a very good actor and a very experienced guy, so to have that kind of resource around and available to contribute is a great thing, on any movie set.

BD: If he didn't come back, would you have just recast the role, or would the movie have worked without him?

KG: Well it would have had to be re-written, obviously. It wouldn't have been the same, so thank God we have him.

BD: The scene we saw last night, it was the first outside trap we've seen. I don't think I've ever seen so many people in a Saw movie!

KG: Yeah, we had a crowd of 400 extras that day and it started raining. So that was a very difficult shoot, but super fun at the same time. It's just so different than the rest of Saw, we really wanted this to go way over the top and do something very exciting. And I think it worked out.

TB: It's also pretty amazing that there are spectators. No Saw trap has had spectators. I hadn't seen the scene until last night, and I was impressed with how the slightest change in dynamic, like going outside, or having spectators, it makes you go 'Wow!' - that's on a whole new level in a certain way, it certainly changes the perspective. So I liked that aspect of it.

BD: The last one opened it up a little bit, with the health insurance office and such, but we really haven't seen how anyone who's not involved with the story reacts to all of this. Like the average guy on the street, what does he know about Jigsaw, does he follow it? So it was interesting to see that even in one scene.

KG: I can say this – all of the other Saw movies were almost completely filmed on stages. And in this one not only did we go outside of the stage, we did it quite a lot, on that scene and quite a few others. And that's one of the great things about the series being more successful - we had more financial resources this time around to really open it up. So there's that opening trap, but there's more to come that's outside and on location, and it makes it a lot cooler and richer.

BD: Tobin, with this film you've officially been dead for more films than you're alive, you were only alive in the first 3 and this is the 4th since...

TB: You're right! I hadn't thought of that!

BD: How do you approach playing a role where you know more about your character's fate than what led him to it? Usually it's the other way around in a serialized story, you get a new chapter and you don't know if you make it. But here... you know more about his future than his past.

TB: My process is the same, you know, I read the scene and I try to remember where I was in the timeline when that took place, what were my concerns, what were the stakes for me at that point in time, and what was I trying to achieve. You just have to ask yourself a whole series of questions and try to zero in... What was his health condition at that time? How strong is he, or how weak is he? It's an investigation... but whether it's in the past or the future or the present, those questions remain the same.

KG: Speaking of the timeline, Kevin I guess you'd know best – what is the overall time of the series? How long has the series been, from Adam and Larry in the bathroom to the end of 6, unless you can include 7 without spoiling anything?

TB: I'd be interested in this answer!

KG: Well within Saw 1, the earliest traps that Danny Glover and Ken Leung are investigating are 6 months earlier than the bathroom. So Saw 1's 6 months, there's 6 months between 1 and 2, and about 6 months between 2 and 3, I would say. Then 4 is simultaneous with 3... and then 5 and 6 aren't that much later. So, under 2 years.

BD: Well, they're wrapping me up, but I just want to say – if this truly is the last one, I'm really going to miss it. I started working with Bloody right when Saw III came out, and I've looked forward to seeing the new film and talking to you guys every year, especially you two, you're the only ones that have been involved in all 7 films besides the producers. It's going to be a bummer to not have a new one to look forward to.

KG: We'll do something better!

BD: In 3-D?

KG: In 3-D! Yes.

Just released today is the new motion poster for SAW 3D tilted the Blackheart check it out at http://www.impawards.com/2010/saw_3d_motion_ver3.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...