Looking forward to Collectormania Glasgow

I'm now staying at my sister's flat in Glasgow for the Friday & Saturday night, instead of my mum's on Friday and crew hotel on Saturday - double bed all to myself and some alone time, AND it's about two streets from the very centre of the city ;)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've changed my mind again, will be in the crew hotel on the Saturday night and probably just at my mum's on the Friday night. I'll just make my dad wake up to drive me there again, though hopefully not to completely the wrong end this time!

Can't believe the publicity this event is getting now.

I've heard it on the radio a few times and there's also been the articles in the Herald and Evening Times in the last few days.

Radio Clyde did a sketch this morning regarding the event and even our local paper (Rutherglen Reformer) carried an article on it.

Folk who know we collect autographs have been telling me it's on this weekend and asking me if I'm going or have heard about it (lol) as they have read or seen it advertised.

It's all looking good.

I'll be going on the Saturday but only for the stalls this year as none of the guests interest me. Guest wise I consider this a very meagre selection but the stalls are usually good and it'll give me a chance to say hello to some familiar faces so I will be going for that reason but for once the guests are not the draw.

Really organisers, you have to stop treating Glasgow as the poor man's fair and put soem of the heavy hitters you would consider for London or Milton keynes here in Glasgow. Either that or just admit that we are 3rd in the pecking order.

I'll be going on the Saturday but only for the stalls this year as none of the guests interest me. Guest wise I consider this a very meagre selection but the stalls are usually good and it'll give me a chance to say hello to some familiar faces so I will be going for that reason but for once the guests are not the draw.

Really organisers, you have to stop treating Glasgow as the poor man's fair and put soem of the heavy hitters you would consider for London or Milton keynes here in Glasgow. Either that or just admit that we are 3rd in the pecking order.

I've no problems with us being "3rd in the pecking order" - we will never be as big as London or Milton Keynes as Glasgow will never attract the same crowds and I'm guessing it's harder for the organisers to arrange something the further away the event takes place.

The stalls at Glasgow are always brilliant and we are pleased with the guests taking place.

Collectormania Glasgow has always had some great guests we've wanted to meet that haven't been at other events we've attended and this year is no exception - especially with the likes of Joe Flannigan, Paul Freeman and Dominic Keating (and the rest)

Steve

• Showmasters Admin

SM have always explained that the Glasgow show is a growing show.

We're all aware it's a chicken and egg situation. You need big guests to get people through the door but you need attendees through the door to support having bigger guests.

At LFCC and CM:MK we get over 15,000 attendees a day. That can happily support a guest like Shatner or Bakula. At Glasgow we've never had more than around 3000 a day. It's one hell of a risk to take that by announcing someone like Shatner or Bakula you're going to increase your attendance by 500%. Also if SM honestly think that's going to happen they'd have to also spend 3 or 4 times as much on a much bigger hall, as the arena would never hold that many attendees.

It's a big risk to take. On a "heavy hitter" as you put it, it's very easy for SM to loss more than most people owe on their house! It's a big risk even when it's at LFCC, and that risk multiplies 100 fold when you move to a show without a known large attendance record. People need to understand this and that SM is a business, if they loss that kind of money on a Glasgow show, that's pretty much it for Glasgow, maybe even SM.

It's not easy to make a decision on when to take a gamble, but they do. On some of the bigger names that we've had at Glasgow, SM have stood to loss more than the price of a new car (a NICE new car) if it doesn't go well.

It's easy to say "get the big hitters in" when it's not your money at risk.

Edited by Too Tall

i sooooooooo cannae wait for this year :)......shame abt Alice Krige......but frees up more money for me......gotta look on the bright side :)......and i feel that the guests that have been to CMG thus far have been really really decent in terms big name attractions :).......long may CMG continue to grow

Joe Flanigan! He's pretty big and had long queues at Milton Keynes in May. In my opinion, the lineup this year is pretty good compared to other years and I want to meet at least 3 of the guests. Usually at Glasgow, I only want to meet one.

Quoted for truth. Joe Flanigan is certainly a big name (He got around 5 thousand twitter followers 2 days after registering). Red Dwarf was a popular series in the UK aswell so I would expect the 2 cast members to be a hit.

These are the best guests that we have had at this event thus far.