Guest Attitudes?

I've been to a fair few conventions now, having worked in the Collectables scene for a couple years. I go to these both as a fan and as a dealer.

However, when I go to meet the stars and collect autographs, I hide my dealer tag as I'm often approaching them as a fan, collecting for myself, and don't want them to get the idea I am just getting their signature to sell on with no respect for their work.

However, it's often disheartening when you pay the money, there isn't a que and yet they still seem like they can't be bothered to deal with you and would appreciate you to move on.

This weekend at LFCC, I collected autographs from three of the stars and the only one who actually took the time to say hello and have a genuine talk was (the ever wonderful) Matthew Lewis. The two Twilight cast members didn't even look up to see me; one playing a game on paper with the steward at his side while the other sat facing away from me, avoiding eye contact. Neither said hello and once they signed, it was as if I didn't exist in their space anymore.

I felt pretty cheated to be honest, my money wasted and the autograph itself devalued as far as the whole experience went of acquiring it; it's nice to have a story behind your collection when showing it off to friends or fellow fans.

The only decent cast members from this film were Chaske Spencer at Milton Keynes earlier this year and Eric Yorkie from last years LFCC while every other Twilight guest that has been present at a Collectormania event has shown the same "don't give a toss" attitudes that these two showed this weekend.

Obviously this rant isn't just for cast members from this film. I've witnessed the same deal from other guests I've met in the past.

I just wondered if anyone else has felt this and what their opinion is on the whole thing. We pay often up to £25 per autograph for most gets (obviously more for the elite such as this weekends Shatner), but does it feel worth the money?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a similar expereince with Ben Browder on Saturday getting his auto. As soon as I saw him, I knew he was completely knackered and/or jetlagged. He didn't really say all that much and was more concerned about getting a toilet break before his talk!

But during his talk he mentioned that he had gone about 36 hours without sleep and after I got back from Saturday, I found out he had a family bereavement. So, even though I felt somewhat cheated at the time, I kinda understood.

I went back on Sunday when he was open queue and was much nicer and actually had a proper conversation with him.

I suppose it's just timing with events like these isn't it? Had I waited til after his talk (and toilet break!) would he have been a bit chattier? Who knows...

No disrespect to any of you on here but some of the names I mention may be a bit gobbledygook to you guys, in the same way Anime/Manga characters/artists would be to me but the best experiences I've had have been from musicians in fact taking a look at my list I've only had three negative encounters whereas at convetions and with actors in general I've had the same amount but in a far less time infact only Sean Pertwee and Ernie Hudson really, REALLY stand out for me whereas musical-wise I couldn't possibly count those I'd deem in a similar regard but some include members of well-known bands including Opeth, Fall Out Boy, Mastodon, Iron Maiden and Led Zeppelin (amongst many, many others).

• Moderators

This discussion pops up now and again.

It does come down to the fact that you're paying ££ per autograph so, in those terms, everyone gets what they paid for.

Does that mean we don't expect more? Of course not. For a lot of us, the autograph itself is a means to an end - we get it so that we can actually meet the guest and talk to them.

It's an experience for a lot of us.

Some guests do get that, and put a lot of effort into being courteous and friendly to all the attendees, and going that 'extra mile' so to speak. And a lot of people leave happy.

You'll also get people who have absolutely no interest in talking to the guest or anything, and genuinely are happy with just an autograph. So it is tricky. We've had guests who are used to attending events where they just do autographs in the US, and nothing more is really expected of them.

There are so many reasons why a guest doesn't talk too much - whether it be a huge number of attendees seeing them, or being unfamiliar with what's expected of them, or anything like that. Or maybe they're having a bad day. Who knows. It's certainly unfortunate if attendees are left disappointed.

Personally, I like to expect a friendly hi and an acknowledgement, and maybe a thank you. Beyond that, anything else is a bonus.

i understand the Edi Gathegi comment, i was crew near him and he was happy sat reading his comments but the reason for the turned back was because people from where i was (Andrew Robinson) on Sunday, were taking pictures, and so he turned his back in that direction.

The rest of the guests were great for me :)

that includes Matt Lewis who was phenomenal might i add - talking about Newcastle to me. whenever i go to Monument now i shall remember Matt Lewis ahha.. :D

Sean Pertwee; didnt get his sig for myself but my brother Jeffrey but my guest (Simon Dutton) was a friend of his and he was coming over and introduced himself to me, which was extremely nice.

William B Davis was lovely :) he said he couldnt have a photo with me which was a little saddening after seeing some in the posted photos area but i understand he was tired etc :]

Nick Courtney sat next to me and he was absolutely holarious!

Ben Broewder introduced himself whilst i was talking to my wifey (JADE) :D

and most guests passing were smiley, especially mr PAX :D :D which was cool cos he's gorgeous!

The two hugs I received from Katee Sackhoff were worth every penny. :P
You're still talking about that? :D

Username change request - TonytheHugger

OK, fair play I won't mention that anymore, as I don't think Timelord will ever get over it.

Time for a new topic, hands up who got a hug from Kristanna?..... :P !!!!

LOL, Nice to finally meet you mate, waiting on a few more guests, so hopefully I'll be booking warp10 soon.

William Shatner, Sean Pertwee, Tom Noonan, Julian Glover & Greg Rucka were all just excellent people. Yet while their own approach to the weekend is to be commended, yet again Robert Rankin was the embodiment of, for me, how a guest should interact. If you just want a signature, he'll provided you one with a warm and sincere hello, a smile and an elaborate squiggle. If you get to chat to him then grab a chair 'cause you could be in for the long-haul: and that, for a fan like me, is perfection itself! :P I'm in no doubt I shall see and chat to him again next year!

All hail the Grand Master of Order Of The Golden Sprout! Huzzah!

The two hugs I received from Katee Sackhoff were worth every penny. :D
You're still talking about that? ;)

:P

Good to see you as well. Met quite a few people this time around.

Met 3 guests this time round.

Kristanna was lovely, we had quite a good chat about Painkiller Jane and the reason there was only 1 series.

Elisabeth was fantastic chatting happily with my daughter who was completely awestruck.

Tyson was friendly but very quiet.

Was also going to get Edi's auto but overheard several people saying he wasn't interested when they went to him so decided to spend my money elsewhere and bought my daughter an Amy Pond figure instead.

Kristanna was lovely, we had quite a good chat about Painkiller Jane and the reason there was only 1 series.

Elisabeth was fantastic chatting happily with my daughter who was completely awestruck.

Was also going to get Edi's auto but overheard several people saying he wasn't interested when they went to him so decided to spend my money elsewhere and bought my daughter an Amy Pond figure instead.

Didn't see you this weekend hun. What day was you there?

Just went Sunday Angie, didn't see you either but was pretty hectic for us as we all had photo shoots that sort of ran one after the other so spent most of the time going from one side of the hall to the other and back again :help:

Just went Sunday Angie, didn't see you either but was pretty hectic for us as we all had photo shoots that sort of ran one after the other so spent most of the time going from one side of the hall to the other and back again :help:

Ahhhh - I was crewing on the Star Wars area on Sunday. Not many of the people I knew came over that way (unless they knew I was there already). Next time eh!

I had a similar expereince with Ben Browder on Saturday getting his auto. As soon as I saw him, I knew he was completely knackered and/or jetlagged. He didn't really say all that much and was more concerned about getting a toilet break before his talk!

But during his talk he mentioned that he had gone about 36 hours without sleep and after I got back from Saturday, I found out he had a family bereavement. So, even though I felt somewhat cheated at the time, I kinda understood.

I went back on Sunday when he was open queue and was much nicer and actually had a proper conversation with him.

I suppose it's just timing with events like these isn't it? Had I waited til after his talk (and toilet break!) would he have been a bit chattier? Who knows...

i had a similar experience with ben, saw him early on sunday he looked totally out of it, and i could tell his heart wasnt in it, tried to strike up a conversation but he was quite dismissive, felt like somethign was wrong, later found out his dad had passed away so i can understand his attitude, to be fair im suprised he came at all, and it shows a lot of commitment to the fans that he did come, i know i wouldnt have if i was in his shoes.

but its always disspointing when you dont get that 'experence' with the people you come to meet, i know i was a bit let down, as i say i understand why he was tired/out of it, but it was still a bit dissapointing.

he was much nicer later when i had the photo shoot, i think the whole weekend must have been tough on him.

I was lucky and got to meet lots of guests due to the nature of my crewing job on Sunday and they were all fab. :D Tyson was so smiley, Matthew Lewis, what a lovely guy, Katie Sakoff was lovely, Dante Basco didnt stop grinning, Robert Watts! Wow! What a legend! IMDB him, he has done SO much! So many fantastic guests, would take an age to go through them all lol

virginia...............wow! was so excited when I found out I was her guest assist, I completely forgot to buy a being human photoshoot :( But had a fantastic day with her Saturday. :D She was wonderful to her fans, so genuinely pleased to meet them.

Have always been a Farscape and Stargate fan so getting to meet Ben Browder was brilliant :D Yes, he was quiet, but I got a big smile and he said he was having a good show, I love my photoshoot pic with him :D

Have to say though, that Edi wasnt very well :( I went up to him for an auto for my niece, and noticed he was worried about something and just asked if everything was okay.

His guest assist Jess said that they were having problems with attendees constantly taking photos so I wandered over to one of the main culprits. Edi was really lovely and thanked me profusely, but even when he was signing the autograph, this one lady was still taking pics, so I planted myself in front of Edi so she couldnt, and he gave me the biggest grin :D (I know sometimes an attendee could be trying to photograph someone next to the guest in question, but in their defence, if a camera is pointed at them, its pointed at them)

Can you imagine feeling poorly and having a sign up saying no photos, only for people to completely ignore it :P Most photos taken of me are horrible, but it doesnt matter cos other than some grotty ones on facebook, that is it, but for him they end up splashed all over the internet. He had a photoshoot, and I bet he gave big grins for those pics :D

Did make me cross the number of people over the weekend doing that. Yes you pay an entry fee, but at the end of the day, by paying that entry fee you agree to abide by the rules of the show, which includes respecting the guests wishes. Doesnt entitle you to ignore the rules.

What a fantastic load of guests though, and to get people as big as William Shatner (who said hello and smiled at everyone I saw collecting an auto in front of me and for the photos too) and Mike Tyson.................wow! Well done SM!

Cant wait til the next show! :P

The two hugs I received from Katee Sackhoff were worth every penny. :P
You're still talking about that? :D

OK, fair play I won't mention that anymore, as I don't think Timelord will ever get over it.

LOL, Nice to finally meet you mate, waiting on a few more guests, so hopefully I'll be booking warp10 soon.

damn you, damn you to hell you gold pass waving hugger, i wont stand for it i tells ya, all these hugs and kisses, how do you do it? i tried to pluck up the courage in the second katee and kristanna shoots but i just couldnt ask, couldnt do it :-(

next time you go first get your hug then maybe i can come in and say well now i want a hug also, see if that works lol

Sean Pertwee was great with me- said i liked his style as everyone else was drinking tea/coffee/juice/water he's there with a pint!! Also how he's looking more and more like his old man to which he mentioned his chin isnt quite as good as Jon's and he wouldn't mind changing it :D Then asked him if he was trying outdo Willem Dafoe in how many times his film character gets bumped off to which he replied that he was getting killed on tuesday :WINCE: Finally a posed photo with him. Top guest by a mile.

Nick Courtney was good and had chat bout his eyepatch from Inferno being a fashion disaster (according to bbcs official dr who page online) and just how brilliant Inferno actually is.

Kristina Loken was lovely and asked here if there were any future plans work with Uwe Boll again

Liz Sladen was in a rush but still polite and greatful enough to acknowledge my waiting in the queue and returned by thanks fro coming

William Davies quick and poilte and acknowledged the thanks for coming

Sean Young- how are you?

Ney bad thanks luv. Urself?

SY- am good thanks just have lunch which was lovely

Gdgd, thanks for coming

SY- thank you Tom take care

Andy Robinson- photo i took from desk was one he didnt get sign much apparently and got talking bout how odten did he watch himself in Dirty Harry which he replied tht he'd just seen it fairly recently on a big screen at the cinema as it looks even better than on tv to which i said bit like the final shootout in good,bad and the ugly losing some its suspense when its on tv.

Shatner- meh

Edited by madmilburn

Andrew Robinson - remembered me from last year, which was a terrific start to my Saturday. "How's your year been?" "Great!" I lied, not wanting to mention the fact that it's largely been terrible and I really need Garak's help to make a few people quietly disappear...

Matthew Waterhouse - nice guy, felt really sorry for him on Sunday though being sat next to Lis Sladen. She had a queue stretching back forever, he had absolutely nobody. :D

Simon Dutton - another nice chap, chatted about The Saint for a little while and found his fave episode is the same as mine.

Nicholas Courtney - this was a little awkward, because although he seemed nice enough about halfway through signing for me some guy came up and starting chatting away to him, and I'm left standing there like a lemon, not wanting to interrupt their conversation but also kinda irritated that I've just handed over £30 to be ignored. That really does spoil things when that happens... :WINCE:

Julian Glover's always great, as was David Bailie.

Was expecting nothing from William Shatner, got a smile and a thank you and was more than happy with that. Was really impressed with him at the talk on Sunday though. He'd probably still be there chatting away now, and I'd probably still be listening to him. Top guest. :wub:

Lis Sladen - lovely, said she liked the photo I designed which was nice of her. Was kind of rushed but not in an unpleasant way or anything, just from the need to keep the queue going and meet as many people as possible. Was amazed how patient she was dealing with some of the dafter talk questions too...

Nia Roberts - was really rather smitten with her, actually. She was so nice and chatty.

Pam Rose - kissed me! :wub:

Have to say though, that Edi wasnt very well :D I went up to him for an auto for my niece, and noticed he was worried about something and just asked if everything was okay.

His guest assist Jess said that they were having problems with attendees constantly taking photos so I wandered over to one of the main culprits. Edi was really lovely and thanked me profusely, but even when he was signing the autograph, this one lady was still taking pics, so I planted myself in front of Edi so she couldnt, and he gave me the biggest grin :D (I know sometimes an attendee could be trying to photograph someone next to the guest in question, but in their defence, if a camera is pointed at them, its pointed at them)

Can you imagine feeling poorly and having a sign up saying no photos, only for people to completely ignore it :WINCE: Most photos taken of me are horrible, but it doesnt matter cos other than some grotty ones on facebook, that is it, but for him they end up splashed all over the internet. He had a photoshoot, and I bet he gave big grins for those pics :D

Did make me cross the number of people over the weekend doing that. Yes you pay an entry fee, but at the end of the day, by paying that entry fee you agree to abide by the rules of the show, which includes respecting the guests wishes. Doesnt entitle you to ignore the rules.

Im sorry but the takin pictures nonsense was not the point (its fair enough that you have to 'pay' for a shoot and not have a camera in your face... i can see how thats annoying). BUT I never once took pictures... & he basicallyhas DIVA written all across his forehead!!! And there have been other experiences people have had with him at other times with his attitude of the same nature and he wasnt ill then! why take it out on those being polite?

I went with an open mind, and for what we pay, i found the experience meeting him was not worth it at all! small amount off effort is not hard.

Tyson Houseman was complete opposite... although quiet, once you strike a convo he was bubbly and happy. No bad vibes! Worth every penny!

Edited by BeckiUK