The Comic Artist Thread

I am only personally going to pick up some commission pieces from Huy Truong and Naniiebim, two artists that have told me they are attending, if you do end up going and dont already know of their work, check them out they are awesome, but if it werent for them I wouldnt be attending

Maybe the comic fans spend less money than the film and TV fans? As you stated yourself, you are only going to see 2 comic guests - so you're not bothering with the rest of the comic artists that are attending?

Very true, other events have a HUGE amount of comic guests.

If LFCC turned into anything like that OTHER terrible event you mention, my gf and I certainly would never attend LFCC again!! I know alot of people feel the same way.

Edited by Queen_Sindel

I understand that the comic enthusiasts are expecting more, and I am sorry to hear that some are so disappointed.

The comic part of the show is something that is continously being worked on. Maybe in 10 years when the show has expanded more we'll reach the amount of Comic guests that some have mentioned here.

Unfortunately I have to put on the mod cap now and ask you to stop this discussion that's started last night.

The forum rules say:

R3: Not mentioning or referring to other events and organisations!

Not naming or referring to other events is a standard rule across all event forums.

The event has not been named, but it's been continously been referred to since last night, and now this seems to become a discussion why LFACC is better or worse than that other show. That's going a little too far I'm afraid. Thank you for understanding!

This wasnt made for a WW3 on comic guests it was simply to save all you people looking for comic guests hunting through 10 pages to find them where as you can just click the links in here.

jeez some people lol

Maybe in 10 years when the show has expanded more we'll reach the amount of Comic guests that some have mentioned here.

TEN years?!? so... if it's comics writers and artists we're after we're supposed to what? wait?

comics @ LFCC got off to a flying start with Greg Rucka & Bill Sienkiewicz, and that was enough for me. however, that early momentum seemed to just vanish, with no further guests announced until about 6-8 weeks ago, and while good, they are frankly nowhere near the stature of Rucka or Sienkiewicz.

showmasters are clearly running a film/tv con with comics added on (and I'm fine with that. really) but having a thread that's labelled "Artist Alley, bigger and better for 2010" and then not making good on that claim? I think that the comics fans frustration is more than understandable...

still, there's another 5 days before the con. who knows, maybe something spectacular may yet happen?

(we have after all seen both Mike Tyson announced as well as Sean Young making the con after all... maybe optimism isn't such a bad thing?)

TEN years?!? so... if it's comics writers and artists we're after we're supposed to what? wait?

comics @ LFCC got off to a flying start with Greg Rucka & Bill Sienkiewicz, and that was enough for me. however, that early momentum seemed to just vanish, with no further guests announced until about 6-8 weeks ago, and while good, they are frankly nowhere near the stature of Rucka or Sienkiewicz.

showmasters are clearly running a film/tv con with comics added on (and I'm fine with that. really) but having a thread that's labelled "Artist Alley, bigger and better for 2010" and then not making good on that claim? I think that the comics fans frustration is more than understandable...

still, there's another 5 days before the con. who knows, maybe something spectacular may yet happen?

(we have after all seen both Mike Tyson announced as well as Sean Young making the con after all... maybe optimism isn't such a bad thing?)

I'm hoping LFCC will announce a great replacement for Sienkiewicz in the next few days.

I'm hoping LFCC will announce a great replacement for Sienkiewicz in the next few days.

Thats all it seems we can do at the minute. 5 Days and counting.

And just hope it doesn't take 10 years...

The ten years was in reference to the 106 comic guests mentioned in the other post, not a general time span for the comic guests guest list to become larger.

We don't have to go from the current level to 106 comic guests within a year, right?

As you have said yourself, the event does cover a film/tv con which also includes comics.

Comic Con started off in 2004 and has now developed into what we know, with guests of the Mike Tyson calibre. So to cover the 106 comic guests named the other part of the show will have to grow too, and yes, until we reach a relation like 106 comic guests to the rest of the guest line up that can take a couple of years I'm afraid. :blink:

Next year will (fingers crossed) show a larger line up of comic guests.

Obviously that was the plan for this year already, otherwise the post "Artist Alley, bigger and better for 2010" wouldn't have been made.

I totally understand that a comic fan is disappointed, but what happened really wasn't intentional.

Sometimes the best laid plans just don't turn out.

But we still got a couple of days to go, and we've had guest announcements the night before the event. So don't give up hope yet.

I do have to ask (this isnt in any way a stab comment by the way).

I follow an internet comic Cyanide & Happiness and I looked on their main page last week and saw they plan to attend LFCC. I've yet to see any word on the forum itself about this news.

I don't know if this is because they have been registered under the sale's section of the con (because they will be selling their products while they are there aswel as signings). Or if this was a matter like with Dave Prowse where it was simply announced on their website and not on here.

If it is the first option and they have been placed under the sales section of the con would there be a possibility of other creators being placed there that we would not have been informed about until arriving on the day? I know a small level of the process of the sales stalls for the con in the sense they are not usually announced. Just on the off chance if we could expect anything else of that manner?

I just wanted to get that clarified :].

Cheers for any response!

I have a feeling it will be much the same case as the Cyanide and Happiness guys (Who I was VERY happy to hear about btw!)

I reckon there are a bunch simply unannounced because they'll be selling as well as signing. I tried having a bit of a google looking for people but only found a few independant artists on DA and the like who are attending.

I have a feeling it will be much the same case as the Cyanide and Happiness guys (Who I was VERY happy to hear about btw!)

I reckon there are a bunch simply unannounced because they'll be selling as well as signing. I tried having a bit of a google looking for people but only found a few independant artists on DA and the like who are attending.

Thats exactly what I was thinking! Let there be hope!

Heres the post the C&H guys made the other week about LFCC by the way (it's on their website but might aswel post it here)

London Film & Comic Con

by Rob on 07.01.2010

52 comments | Reply

Hey guys!!

Matt and myself are going to be at the London Film & Comic Con July 17th and 18th. We'll be selling plushies as well as our every character posters:

Here's the official website of the con. We also want to do a fan get together of some sort. We have no idea where, though. If you're from London and interested in having a pub meet-up, reply to this and give us some suggestions on cool places.

And of course, we'll be at the San Diego con the following weekend joined by Kris. But that goes without saying.

:D

EDIT: I don't know what the whole situation of approaching comic book artists and writers, who was approached and if so who said no. But do you think the lack of attendance's may be due to San Diego comic con being the week after? Complete speculation obviously.

Edited by JaySchluffy

• Moderators

I don't really see the point in speculating. No one is ever going to know, other than Showmasters, and it's their choice as to what types of guest they put into the lineup.

The comic guests have always been the lesser focus compared to TV/Movie guests, and there's only a limited amount of space at the event.

Even if they did want more comic guests, it'd require a logistical change more than anything.

I don't really see the point in speculating. No one is ever going to know, other than Showmasters, and it's their choice as to what types of guest they put into the lineup.

Well I didn't know that (its why I asked). I wasn't moaning and I wasn't fanning the flames. I was just asking a question that might help explain some stuff for me. If no one is going to know minus Showmaster I feel I'm allowed to speculate as there isn't much in the matter that I can do from the looks of it.

The comic guests have always been the lesser focus compared to TV/Movie guests, and there's only a limited amount of space at the event.

Even if they did want more comic guests, it'd require a logistical change more than anything.

Maybe so but Showmasters should at least find someone to replace Sienkiewicz, which I hope they are trying to sort out.

I hope they will have Stan Lee soon, the legend is now doin signing events for a fee in the US and photoshoots. Both 40$

Its awesome, so I hope SM will get him, be it for Collectormania or LFCC. The guy would be hugely popular and not only for comics fans but movie fans too of course. Hope theres an oppurtunity !

I wanted to meet Sienkiewicz too, he worked on ROTJ for Marvel :firedevil:

re: 10 years/106 comics guests...

I'm hoping for neither, truth be told.

I do realise that the best laid plans of mice and men, etc. and that if the people you want are unavailable for whatever reason (as we've seen with cancellations & rescheduling of the tv/movie guests) then there's not a whole lot you can do about it.

as I originally said, Bill Sienkiewicz & Greg Rucka alone were enough for me to want to come to this. I'd much rather that Showmasters worked on getting the best guests possible, rather than as many guests as possible.

I'm going to be in London this weekend regardless, and I will be at the show regardless.

what the coming days/announcements will decide is how long I'm there for...

I think one of the main problems showmasters have had this year is that its clashing with another event not-to-be-named in San Diego!! Their main focus is comics and they got some big big names showing up......sadly!

That event takes place the weekend after LFCC. That's hardly clashing, is it?

I think one of the main problems showmasters have had this year is that its clashing with another event not-to-be-named in San Diego!! Their main focus is comics and they got some big big names showing up......sadly!

That event takes place the weekend after LFCC. That's hardly clashing, is it?

It may be for creators, having to commute around the world said convention is i all fairness is much bigger and they are pretty close to clashing against each other by what? 4-5 days? That can be a problem for some people who have to organise stuff around their families.

At least thats what im telling myself as the reason for lack of people.

It may be for creators, having to commute around the world said convention is i all fairness is much bigger and they are pretty close to clashing against each other by what? 4-5 days? That can be a problem for some people who have to organise stuff around their families.

At least thats what im telling myself as the reason for lack of people.

Possibly but it's not impossible for someone to attend both LFCC and that famous American convention. There's enough of a gap between the two to allow such a thing.

For Transformers fans in attendance there will be an EXCLUSIVE print of Ironhide available from the Apocalypse Comics stall at LFCC. The print has been drawn by Transformers artist Casey Coller and coloured by attendee John-Paul Bove as a tie in to Casey's IDW mini-series "Ironhide".

The print is extremely limited and once they are sold out there will never be any more printed, so snap them up while you can.

Ironhide_LFCC_2010COLlowres1.jpg

In addition there will be artists sketching and colouring at the Apocalypse stand and you can even bring sketches done from sketches elsewhere from other artists to be coloured and completed as a full colour print while you wait (first come first served). This is unique to LFCC and you should be able to get something to make your sketch even more special.