What did you think of the event?

Avengers7

Had a great time. Panels, photos, guests all brilliant.

My main criticism is to do with the registration pack - at every other show, we are given a pack of photos to be signed, at this show, we were given one photo (of which it was quite a squash to get all the autos on). :P

Shame really as otherwise a good event.

Highlights: Both Sunday talks - Sylvester and Sophie, Trevor and Christopher.

Edited by reddragon

An awesome time was had as usual!

I agree with reddragon re: photos in the packs - not so much of a problem for me as I bring things to be signed but for others could be an issue

Highlights: Arthur's photoshoot and guest encounter - he was so sweet!

Was a great weekend all in all!

Was pretty quiet friday night, only about 30 of us around lol More people came saturday though and the party that night rocked (my legs disagree lol)

The photos being absent was a downside, but I heard from others that it was the same at the last BW.

Maybe its a thing with more 10th Planet-orientated events?

Despite the comparitive quietnes (I only have the Hubs to go on, this was my first non-Hub weekender) it was great, would defo go again!

• Moderators

Having to buy photos to get signed for those I wanted one for was my own downside, and it wasn't completely unexpected (last 10th planet event I did was the same).

Had a brilliant time. The guests were all great (don't think we managed to scare Arthur off!), I had plenty time to get everything, and made some new friends in the process!

The only party I was there for (Saturday) took a while to get going, but I think we kept it going pretty well once it did! And Sylvester McCoy appearing in the middle of it for a bit of headbanging and walking-stick!air guitar is an image that will stay with me.

On the whole it was a nice uncomplicated event for me. After the cancellations I didn't need to buy many extra autographs as there were only three I'd not met before, and two of those I did have autographs from, But that's the luck of the draw.

Could maybe have divided the panels around a few more interviewers though - as we saw Sylv and Soph did fine on there own, and I think that's also why the live commentaries worked well too.

Unfortunately though it will probably end up as my last Bad Wolf, a huge part of the appeal for me was it being at the NEC. Depends where it ends up.

Somewhere else in central Birmingham I might consider, but with so many other events on for Doctor Who fans, anywhere more complicated travel wise (for me by train - and that took 5 hours to get back) I'll probably pass on like Dimensions.

I was disappoonted by the guest cancellations but the addition of Arthur made up for that and of course these things can't be helped.

I enjoyed the format of the con although I 'm used to having a choice between getting autographs or seeing a panel not a morning of one and then an afternoon af the other. Then again it did mean that you didn't miss out on anything.

Most memorable bits were watching this week's episode with Sylvester and the hotel switching it off just before the end ( in favour of adverts - I mean football ;) ) and the mad dash to various hotel rooms to try and catch the end. Very frustrating at the time but a funny story to look back on :D

Another highlight was indeed headbanging with Sylvester, plus meeting Arthur and making some great friends.

:dance::dance:

I had a great time at Bad Wolf, it was a very enjoyable weekend, big thanks to all involved. All of guests, attendees and crew members I spoke to were lovely and I loved all of the events which were going on like the screenings, talks, signings, photoshoots, guest encounters etc. I still can't believe you managed to get Arthur last minute haha, great job.

The only negative thing for me over the weekend really was the photos in the registration pack like other people have said. I've only ever been to the two most recent Hubs before and was therefore expecting there to be individual photos of each guest in the registration pack rather than just the two photos that we actually got. Thankfully though there were the stalls in the merchandise area so I was able to purchase individual photos so it wasn't the end of the world.

My highlights over the weekend were probably the guest encounters with Andrew Hayden-Smith and Arthur Darvill. It was the first time I'd gone to any guest encounters before so I was a little shy and didn't know what to expect but I managed to ask them both some questions and it was interesting to hear what they had to say. I'll definitely be at the next Bad Wolf if it's somewhere I can get to, personally I think The Park Inn Hotel in Northampton would be ideal as I really like it for The Hub events even though it's further away. It's more convenient and probably better for the guest numbers too. :thumbup:

Edited by Doctor Who

Despite having my doubts about the event (due to guest cancellations) I would have to say that Bad Wolf was absolutely amazing!!!! For me I'd say the highlight of the con would be the writer's workshop with Gary Russel :thumbup: but everything else was pretty much fantastic too :D

• Moderators

Despite having my doubts about the event (due to guest cancellations) I would have to say that Bad Wolf was absolutely amazing!!!! For me I'd say the highlight of the con would be the writer's workshop with Gary Russel :thumbup: but everything else was pretty much fantastic too :D

The workshop was fab - especially the hour and 15 minutes it went on past the end time, lol!

(and please say I'm not the only one who sort of wants to write a story involving 16 elephants now...)

The workshop was fab - especially the hour and 15 minutes it went on past the end time, lol!

(and please say I'm not the only one who sort of wants to write a story involving 16 elephants now...)

No, you're definately not the only one :lol: *sees elephants walking into Microsoft Word*

Pretty sure I'm the only one who'd like to keep in touch with the other workshop attendees though :D ...I'm kinda strange like that :lol:

Edited by Touchstone

Most memorable bits were watching this week's episode with Sylvester

Did he notice they had cut him out of The Doctor flash back?

My highlights over the weekend were probably the guest encounters with Andrew Hayden-Smith and Arthur Darvill. It was the first time I'd gone to any guest encounters before so I was a little shy and didn't know what to expect but I managed to ask them both some questions and it was interesting to hear what they had to say. I'll definitely be at the next Bad Wolf if it's somewhere I can get to, personally I think The Park Inn Hotel in Northampton would be ideal as I really like it for The Hub events even though it's further away. It's more convenient and probably better for the guest numbers too.

I agree.

Move it to Northampton and I would attend every single Bad Wolf, buy gold everything and sleep outisde even when the event isn't on.

Maybe not that last bit?

Also what exactly is a guest encounter? I never heard of them before and they sound like fun.

I'd be very surprised if it didn't move to Northampton, but like I say no good for me.

Other problem with the panels - unlike previous years - they wasn't shown on the big screen. So I heard all fine, but didn't see the interviews

• Moderators

Pretty sure I'm the only one who'd like to keep in touch with the other workshop attendees though :thumbup: ...I'm kinda strange like that :D

I actually sat next to one of the other workshop attendees for half of my train journey home, so you're not the only one.

Also what exactly is a guest encounter? I never heard of them before and they sound like fun.

Basically, it's a guest (or sometimes 2 or 3 guests, like Sylvester and Sophie did a joint one this weekend for example) and (up to) 12 attendees, sitting round a table with tea/coffee for 45 minutes to chat. Most of the places (at ME events) are auctioned off in a 'silent auction' type thing, with other places being raffled. I went to Arthur's yesterday, which was a lot of fun.

Basically, it's a guest (or sometimes 2 or 3 guests, like Sylvester and Sophie did a joint one this weekend for example) and (up to) 12 attendees, sitting round a table with tea/coffee for 45 minutes to chat. Most of the places (at ME events) are auctioned off in a 'silent auction' type thing, with other places being raffled. I went to Arthur's yesterday, which was a lot of fun.

Oh wow, they sound super cool.

Hmm, CM17 or Bad Wolf. Cm17 or Bad Wolf.

Well if Bad Wolf moves I shall do that next year. Thinking of doing a Hub too.

No, you're definately not the only one :lol: *sees elephants walking into Microsoft Word*

Pretty sure I'm the only one who'd like to keep in touch with the other workshop attendees though :D ...I'm kinda strange like that :lol:

Workshop was great. Wouldn't mind keeping in touch. I was the dumbo who asked about Famous five . Still trying to work out how to get 4 kids a dog and 16 elephants into an episode of Sarah Jane but give me time.

The highlights, as expected, were meeting, having photos with, and hearing on stage Christopher & Trevor, Sylv & Sophie, Carole Ann, Caroline, and Arthur. The commentaries were good too (Victory being the better of the two).

The suggestions / cristicisms I'd make (as recommended by the closing ceremony), are;

Not having a schedule till just before the event starts. Even in the midst of cancellations, I've never known a convention to NOT let their customer know what it's all about.

The seating was a MAJOR issue for me. Instead of gold and silver getting better seats, it instead felt like anyone other than gold were getting BAD seats. The fact that over half the gold seats were empty simply pushed silver and standard further away from the stage (that's in addition to the vast distance between the guest and the front of the stage, then the front of the stage to the gold seats, then the spacing between the rows). I was Silver, with an ok digital camera and had real problems getting decent photos, even with maximum optical zoom. So in addition to moving guest and audience closer together next time, how about just laying out the amount of seats equal to the number of gold tickets sold, resulting in fans being closer to the guest.

I'd also echo the comments before me about not having photos in the registration pack. It's up to the organisers, of course, but I had come to expect it after previous conventions. At the very least, instead of putting them in the packs, having them on the signing tables (like all your other events) would have been quite good. As it was, I bought an Arthur photo, got some things I'd brought with me signed, and didnt bother meeting the others I'd met previously.

I'd be happier if it stayed in Birmingham as its central and this weekend I commuted each day to save £. If it moved further away it would be difficult, but not impossible to attend obviously. Holiday Inn in central Brum is a good venue for cons too as its near the station and there're plenty of choices for food but I understand that i can be a pain for parking.

Was a great weekend all in all!

Was pretty quiet friday night, only about 30 of us around lol More people came saturday though and the party that night rocked (my legs disagree lol)

The photos being absent was a downside, but I heard from others that it was the same at the last BW.

Maybe its a thing with more 10th Planet-orientated events?

Despite the comparitive quietnes (I only have the Hubs to go on, this was my first non-Hub weekender) it was great, would defo go again!

Actually, they did have photos to sign last year at Bad Wolf because I was there.

Most memorable bits were watching this week's episode with Sylvester

Did he notice they had cut him out of The Doctor flash back?

My highlights over the weekend were probably the guest encounters with Andrew Hayden-Smith and Arthur Darvill. It was the first time I'd gone to any guest encounters before so I was a little shy and didn't know what to expect but I managed to ask them both some questions and it was interesting to hear what they had to say. I'll definitely be at the next Bad Wolf if it's somewhere I can get to, personally I think The Park Inn Hotel in Northampton would be ideal as I really like it for The Hub events even though it's further away. It's more convenient and probably better for the guest numbers too.

I agree.

Move it to Northampton and I would attend every single Bad Wolf, buy gold everything and sleep outisde even when the event isn't on.

Maybe not that last bit?

Well I go every year - Northamptoin would not be good for me and I wouldnt be able to go - its a four and a half hour journey staright after work. LEAVE IT IN BIRMINGHAM PLEASE.

Well cool, maybe they meant other 10th Planet DW events. Although someone did say to me the last BW :lol:

I think this event unlike others is very much Derek's event with help from Jason and Mark, rather than the other way round with the Hub and such. This means its run basically the same but with a few differences, and so those of us with experience at other events had differences to deal with.

Not a negative thing at all, Derek ran a great event this weekend with the crew being awesome as always (really should get to know all your names, I come to so many events I feel bad that I cant say hi) but I know a lot of us over the weekend were a bit 'huh? oh, thats how it works' so we had to adapt quickly lol

I too would love it to be in Northampton. Those who havnt been, trust us its a great hotel for the event. Big enough to run a con, but small enough for us attendees to be literally the only people staying there, meaning we basically get the run of the place. Not all spread out like he Hilton, not expensive like the Hilton (normal pub food at normal pub prices, with the town centre literally 3 minutes walk round the corner)

Rooms are great, staff are used to these events, talks are set out better (video screens of the talk, higher stage so more people can see), cheaper hotel rooms. And the parties are great (at least with the other events, the attendance of this one made the parties seem smaller)

Well cool, maybe they meant other 10th Planet DW events. Although someone did say to me the last BW :headscratch:

I think this event unlike others is very much Derek's event with help from Jason and Mark, rather than the other way round with the Hub and such. This means its run basically the same but with a few differences, and so those of us with experience at other events had differences to deal with.

Not a negative thing at all, Derek ran a great event this weekend with the crew being awesome as always (really should get to know all your names, I come to so many events I feel bad that I cant say hi) but I know a lot of us over the weekend were a bit 'huh? oh, thats how it works' so we had to adapt quickly lol

I too would love it to be in Northampton. Those who havnt been, trust us its a great hotel for the event. Big enough to run a con, but small enough for us attendees to be literally the only people staying there, meaning we basically get the run of the place. Not all spread out like he Hilton, not expensive like the Hilton (normal pub food at normal pub prices, with the town centre literally 3 minutes walk round the corner)

Rooms are great, staff are used to these events, talks are set out better (video screens of the talk, higher stage so more people can see), cheaper hotel rooms. And the parties are great (at least with the other events, the attendance of this one made the parties seem smaller)

We go to The HUb in Northampton twice a year so it is nice to go to Bad Wolf in the NEC as it is a lot nearer.

To you, maybe not to everyone.

And the reason we go to the Hub there (and other events are there) is that it seems to be very much suited to the numbers and style that massive events and 10th Planet run. Obviously the crew like running it there, and you know how much the attendees cheered when at the Hub 3 they said we'd be at the Park Inn for the Hub 4. I know if a Hub was announced at the Hilton again I wouldnt go.

I used to defend the Hilton to, well, the hilt lol But this time it seemed worse than before. We were spread out a bit as there were loads of events going on at the same place. The food and drink, even with a discount, seemed more expensive than last time (if that were even possible Hilton, oh it is? Oh ok *dies*)

Maybe somewhere else in Birmingham would be cool (do they have a Park Inn? lol) but if not Birmingham, we do have a pretty much perfect (in terms of runing an event, not geography) location hopefully free to deal with us :lol:

Edited by BeatrixKiddo88

• Moderators

But surely you know that the price includes autographs and photos, which are clearly a part of the event?

That's your choice to not be interested in those, so I can't see why you believe they owe you money. That doesn't make any sense.

To you, maybe not to everyone.

And the reason we go to the Hub there (and other events are there) is that it seems to be very much suited to the numbers and style that massive events and 10th Planet run. Obviously the crew like running it there, and you know how much the attendees cheered when at the Hub 3 they said we'd be at the Park Inn for the Hub 4. I know if a Hub was announced at the Hilton again I wouldnt go.

Well yes if you have 2 Hubs in Northampton then it's moved away people would cheer if it was moved back 'home'. Bad Wolf's 'home' is Birmingham.

It's fine for Paul to say spread the word - and Whofandom is great for that - but the word is being spread just as much for other organisers events.