I'd really like a Dummies Guide to Conventions

BatmanAndRonon

Okay so i've been to the grand total of zero conventions ever. I'll be 17 when the convention comes around and I just wanted to hear people's experiences on conventions and what to do, or how to act, etc. Basically I just wanted to know what goes on at these conventions and whether it's worth going or not.

Thanks in advance for any feedback given. :P

Welcome to the forum! :D

Some of the questions you ask are rather broad, so it's a bit difficult to answer. Do you have a favorite Whedon TV show, or are you looking forward to meeting a special guest? Then we could tell you our experiences there, or stories about that guest.

Whether it's worth going or not... probably everyone around here will tell you it is worth it, or otherwise we wouldn't be here. :lol:

How to act and what to do, that one can be answered pretty simple: be yourself, have fun and don't be afraid to talk to people. :smile:

There's photosessions with the guests at those events, and they sign autographs. In the afternoons it's talks, those you could descrive as question and answer sessions. The fans in attendance are asked to send it questions. Those are asked my the "Master of Conference". The guests will answer and tell stories.

In the evening there's themed parties, but you don't have to dress up according to the theme. Just come and enjoy the party.

Thank you! :smile:

Okay I think I see what you mean by my broad questions. It's just that this is a rather broad area for me and i'm just getting used to it.

So in reply to your own questions;

I don't really have favourite Whedon show, I just love Whedon in general. I don't suppose he's ever likely to turn up to one of these conventions? 'Cos that'd be awesome! :D

But the thought of Anthony Head going pretty much sealed the deal for me wanting to come to this convention. :lol: Is he a good guest?

Oh and is 17 too young to go to one of these conventions? Would I be out of place or...?

Thank you! :smile:

Okay I think I see what you mean by my broad questions. It's just that this is a rather broad area for me and i'm just getting used to it.

I don't really have favourite Whedon show, I just love Whedon in general. I don't suppose he's ever likely to turn up to one of these conventions? 'Cos that'd be awesome! :D

But the thought of Anthony Head going pretty much sealed the deal for me wanting to come to this convention. :lol: Is he a good guest?

Oh and is 17 too young to go to one of these conventions? Would I be out of place or...?

No 17's not too young I started at 12 years old and im 19 now :D

Not at all. I'm fifteen now and will be by HW2, my best friend is coming with me and she's fifteen, then of our con friends who'll be there Ellie and Gordon are both fifteen, so you're older than all of us. :lol:

Welcome, by the way. :D Hallowhedon was my first proper con, and I was rather scared, but it's really fun. :smile: Everyone's really friendly and it's a great experience, I spoke to a lot of people even though I'm usually rather shy and I definitely think it's worth it. :)

I know, it can be a bit overwhelming, right?

Please fire away with any questions you have, we're happy to answer them.

Joss has done some store signings that I know about, but I don't think he ever has done a convention, aside from the promo ones in the US. He would be quite a popular guest though, and everyone has to do a first event one time, right? :lol: I wouldn't think it's impossible that he attends. He'd be one of the more unlikely guests for me, but definitely not impossible.

Anthony Head is a fantastic guest. An absolute gentleman and a real sweetheart.

Unfortunately I had my holidays booked when he was announced, and I really tried to reschedule just because of him being announced. Yes, he is that good. :smile:

17 is definitely not too young, no. You won't be out of place at all. I started going to events at 17 myself.

That's another beautiful thing about Whedon events: there's fans of all ages. :D

Edited by Queen_Sindel

Funnily enough, I have sometimes thought about writing some kind of guide for first time convention attendees, and I mean a really detailed, thorough guide. I'd particularly want to delve into what it takes to have a decent and memorable encounter with a guest.

Would anyone actually be interested in reading such a thing?

I was 17 at Hallowhedon last year will be 18 this time! Hallowhedon was the second con I had attended although it was a much larger than the previous one I attended. The good thing about cons like these is that you'll find it easy to talk to anyone. I'm normally quite a shy person but whilst I was waiting I started having conversations with people in the queue. We are all there for the same reason so we all have something in common!

Also since you have joined the forum you will recognise some people which might make it a bit easier, most people post pictures to help you spot them. You'll will have a great time and get to meet some great people. I know I did last year!

• Moderators

Funnily enough, I have sometimes thought about writing some kind of guide for first time convention attendees, and I mean a really detailed, thorough guide. I'd particularly want to delve into what it takes to have a decent and memorable encounter with a guest.

Would anyone actually be interested in reading such a thing?

Something like that would be fantastic for some people, but in all honestly you'll always get people asking questions regardless of what information is already available. We have some FAQs on here for example, but so many new members don't take a look. Obviously we don't mind helping, but when you know how long it takes to put all that together, it can get a little frustrating ;)

Thank you! :YAHOO:

I don't really have favourite Whedon show, I just love Whedon in general. I don't suppose he's ever likely to turn up to one of these conventions? 'Cos that'd be awesome! ;)

But the thought of Anthony Head going pretty much sealed the deal for me wanting to come to this convention. :dance: Is he a good guest?

No 17's not too young I started at 12 years old and im 19 now :D

i started at 13 and am 22 now :D never too young! lol! :P

• 1 month later...

Thank you! :D

I don't really have favourite Whedon show, I just love Whedon in general. I don't suppose he's ever likely to turn up to one of these conventions? 'Cos that'd be awesome! ;)

But the thought of Anthony Head going pretty much sealed the deal for me wanting to come to this convention. ;) Is he a good guest?

You'll be fine dude! Last year was my first time (at a convention!), and my best friend and I turned up not knowing what to expect. The general gist is this. You get there and stand in a line to register. That's pretty dull (as standing in a line often is), and after that, go do whatever until the opening talk. All the guests will sit there and say hey and such, and then off you go to get ready to party.

Then, you party. Everybody is almost too friendly, it's great. It's not like life. You can literally walk up to somebody and say hey, and you have a friend, because you're all there for the same reason. The amount

of people I met there that I still talk to nearly a year later is astounding. Because, you know, Whedon.

The next day, you get up, you do your picture thing, get your autographs and all that kind of stuff, and sit and listen to the guest talks. Most of all, they're incredible. But, you might get a Mercedes McNab incident. Blah. Blah. Blah. Fortunately, I don't think we have any guests like that this year. Once all that's done, go get into your ridiculous costume, and party.

Tip: Learn the Thriller dance.

Then. Party some more.

Then fall over.

Sunday is generally spent with the last few guest talks (and I think the 'guest encounters' happen then, where people have auctioned to get them alone. I'm planning on using my skills to get Jewel Staite into a private encounter without the use of money, personally), and photos and stuff, if you missed them the day before. Then, bizarrely enough, party.

Then you go home :P

Hope it helped!

For general information on what to expect at the convention, go to the How Things Work section of the site.

As for your age, don't worry about that, I have seen everything from new born babies to old age pensioners and everything in between. Conventions are the definition and origin of the word "diversity", everyone is welcome and welcomed, no matter age, colour, religion, race, sexuality, dress sense! Come as you are, and accept everyone (including the actors) for who they are, and you will have a brilliant time.

Don't be afraid to talk to anyone (including the actors), remember you have at least one thing in common with everyone else there and you will come away with a whole new family (and an irresistable urge to book lots more conventions).

Hello all !

I'm a total newbie even if i'm registred for a little while !

My first real big convention was last week, at the LFCC ! I'd like to come to Hallowhedon, but I will be able to be there only one day, the saturday. Is this enough to meet all guests or am I dreaming outloud ?

Thank you for your answers and i apologize for my really poor english.:angry:

Edited by Cerebus

• Moderators

It can be possible if you talk to Too Tall at the event itself. However, schedules can sometimes mean that guests are not there on all days.

Nothing to apologise for. It was fine! :angry:

Wow your first convention. Well, you WILL LOVE IT. Ive been doing them for 9 years now and have attended some fabulous events.

Basically there will be a bit of standing in line but you will chat to people, laugh, drink, dance and have the best time ever. Everything is easy to follow, understand and join in with. The staff and photographers and guests are always amazing and the other attendees are always welcoming and will be interested in your outfit, where youre from and what your poison is!

Just go with an open mind, no expectations (because its your first) and go with the flow. People are very approachable if youre stuck or confused and be prepared to spend a little dosh as you WILL want to :D

Have fun!

X