The Football Chat

Daniel

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very watchable game in the end, it was nice to have a game that went back and forwards a little bit. I don't know if this is borne out by the stats, but not too many of the games seem to have see-sawed in terms of who has had the lead.

A good game and with only one match left I can happily bid farewell to ITV's atrocious coverage. Adrian Chiles bloke in the pub routine has worn very thin over the last few weeks!

Edited by Count Fooku

Hope the final's not a let down, anything but 0:0 or a cagey 1:0 would be good.

Oh well, at least it was entertaining.

Felt sorry for Howard Webb, doubt if anyone could of refereed much better. there was so much going on and it must be so difficult to keep an eye on everything.

Of course he could of been a bit stricter in the first half but then again, why ruin a final for everyone buy sending two or three players off for one side, it would of ended a farce.

Congratulations to Spain, so glad I had them in the sweepstake at work! :poki:

Edited by TonytheCylon

Not a pleasent game by any means, still the right team won. How Holland had the nerve to be complaining about anything at the end is beyond me though. The only things Howard Webb got really wrong in my view was not sening De Jong and Robben off!

Looks like its going to be another injury hit season for Torres though, thats another 20m gone off his transfer fee

Torres was walking a lot better during the celebrations. Hopefully it was just a tweak, otherwise he would not have been walking unaided.

Aside from the non-sending offs...the only thing that Webb got wrong as giving a goal kick when two Spanish players clearly touched the ball from a Dutch free kick - it was that way or the other, can't remember.

That was a poor decision from him but all in all I feel no sympathy for Holland, their attitude tonight was terrible. I just can't understand why they took the approach they did, they have enough good quality footballers that they could have given Spain a good football match tonight, but instead of playing their part in what might have been a classic final they did their best to turn it into a match between two rival pubs on a Sunday morning!

• Moderators

Holland were pretty much outclassed in every way possible during the game. Yes, they had a few chances that in all honesty they should have taken, but then so did Spain really.

I guess somewhere along the way, they decided that they couldn't outclass Spain and so decided to go the rough route, which worked to an extent but it's certainly not what you want to see in a final.

The match had potential, which it didn't live up to, but then that was the story of the World Cup in general I think.

Congratulations Spain, they were the better team on the night. Not the most exciting team in the cup but they played well enough to win.

Thanks for posting everyone. This thread will be reopened in June 2014 :firedevil: .

Or, why don't we convert this to a general football thread for the upcoming season and start of the Euro 2012 Qualifiers.?

You beat me to that suggestion. :firedevil:

The topic title can be adjusted without a problem. It would be a shame to have such a lively discussion die.

The first month or so is going to be very tough for him, Gooners at home and both manc clubs away in the first month. My worry is if we don't take points from those games he is going to be crucified before he's even started.

Despite some of his shortcomings there are a lot of supporters who are still very loyal to Rafa and aren't convinced Hodgson was the way to go. My hope is that those people give him the time to get into the role and don't judge him on what looks like a pretty rough run of games.

I rated myself as a very loyal Rafa fan..until he started to do things that didn't make sense. He is the first Manager ever that I have wanted to go. Roy Hodgson is tuned in to how the English game works. I think he will be the tonic the team need.