The Football Chat

Daniel

I will be yelling "Go Germany" as part of ..

Go on now GO...walk out the door..don't turn around now, the final doesn't need you anymore.

Weren't you the ones who thought you could win it all..

You didn't survive...you didn't survive..hey hey!!

He! He!

Nope, we weren't the ones who thought we could win it all. THAT was England, Argentina, Brazil, Italy or France, all of whom thought they could win the cup and then, went home early.

My pleasure,

thanks to your team for returning the favour!

Of course they did make you laugh, by getting as far as they did and playing better than anyone ever thought they could/would. Obviously, if they had scored, I'd have cheered for their 'goal' instead of their 'gole' :D

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 3rd place play off really is pointless ain't it?

Neither team want to play it, after coming so close to the final and after a month away from home, they just want to go back to their families.

Even if England were in the play off, i wouldn't botherwatching it, as it's an overhyped friendly to make more money for fifa.

Potentially a great final in Spain v Holland. Guess it all depends on whether Holland go for it or play like every other team in the finals who have played spain, just concentrate on stopping them and try to get a goal on the break.

Only the truly deluded English fans thought England could win. I didn't. I just hoped.

And all of the deluded English players - a mistake the German players never made! They've shown themselves critical of their mistakes and willing to learn and fight and move forward. And despite the games they played so well, they did not show themselves delusional and boast that they'd win the cup.

Only the truly deluded English fans thought England could win. I didn't. I just hoped.

And all of the deluded English players - a mistake the German players never made! They've shown themselves critical of their mistakes and willing to learn and fight and move forward. And despite the games they played so well, they did not show themselves delusional and boast that they'd win the cup.

After the Germans did England, their confidence grew a lot. Also, have you forgotten Franz Becks' words about England and Germany even before the 2nd round..he seemed to think Germany would win it - as in the whole damn thing!!

Edited by Will Jones

After the Germans did England, their confidence grew a lot. Also, have you forgotten Franz Becks' words about England and Germany even before the 2nd round..he seemed to think Germany would win it - as in the whole damn thing!!

:D:D:chair: You will notice how I spoke about the players - and truly hope that you do not consider Beckenbauer to still be a player :chair::D:D A few decades too late for that, I'm afraid. You will need to listen to the players and the coaches and then compare them to the boastful talking you got from other players and coaches all of whom have long since been sent home, some even by the German team itself.

I have never understoood the point in having a 3rd and 4th place play off.

I bet the only thing these beaten teams want to do right now is head home, just stupid to have them hanging around for a pointless match

Anyway on a positive note , Holland to win ^_^:clap:

• Moderators

If Spain play as good as they can do, then Holland don't stand a chance.

However I still don't think Spain have performed to the best of their abilities. There were a few glimpses last night, but that was all. It wasn't a convincing performance against a German team that didn't seem to have the spark that they had shown previously.

So it comes down to whoever decides to step up on the night.

However I still don't think Spain have performed to the best of their abilities. There were a few glimpses last night, but that was all. It wasn't a convincing performance against a German team that didn't seem to have the spark that they had shown previously.

Agreed on all counts. The German team seemed intimidated and played accordingly - kinda timid, without the spark that was there in previous games, lacking in ideas. The Spanish team clearly dominated them but they weren't playing any amazing soccer themselves - the Germans just didn't manage to get a foot in the game for some reason or another.

Now, for Holland to win on Sunday :) Let them show the Spanish that they can't win everything ^_^

As for 3rd/4th play-offs - it helps determine ranking *shrugs* As far as I know, every sport ranks their teams/players/competitors one way or another, and doesn't only just determine 1st and 2nd place in the list, but goes even further down than only just 3rd and 4th. As such, it does make sense to me - even if I do agree, I'm sure all the players really want to do is head home and cry a little :clap:

I dunno dude, Holland have been playing pretty well all through the tournament. They managed to kick Brazil's ass, which is definitely an achievement. I think they can beat Spain... who only beat Germany because they got lucky. :D

The future's bright, the future's Oranje! xD (much to my girlfriend's displeasure.)

• Moderators

On World Cup form Holland could perhaps beat Spain.

But Spain at their best could trample all over Holland to be honest.

The only team that came even remotely near to their best was Germany in the two dominant games. If they had played like that, they would've been in the final, but they just didn't manage it.

I don't think the Brazil team were anything special this time round, so I'm not judging on that.

I really hope both teams perform to their best, as it'll be a fantastic game. However, the general trend is for one team to choke so we'll see.

I've never seen a 3rd - 4th place thriller,

most of the time, squad players are given a chance to sample the event.

A nice touch but not one that leads to a great match.

Looking forward to the final, Holland are one of the few teams who can compete with anyone technically.

Plus the height advantage, the Spanish looked weak against German corners (how ironic for the goal)

I'd like to see the Dutch really go for it but I'm expecting cat and mouse rather than end to end.

I do think its a great advert for football.

My hopes are for the Spanish as I think Xavi and Iniesta will go down in history as two of the greatest midfielders ever!

Modern football is all the richer for teams that play (and win) with the style of these individuals.

hopefully the future will be oranje. If they beat spain it's going to be one big party in Amsterdam on tuesday. they expect 1 million poeple alongside the canals. I think the images of 1988 are brilliant and this will be even bigger :)

Edited by svenntroll

Every World Cup at this stage, the third place play off is criticised. Personally, I am in favour of it.

For a huge football contest like the World Cup which has as many as 208 teams attempting to get to a 32 team month long tournement, is it a bad idea to have first, second and third place?

The winning team will leave with their bronze medals, which I would be proud to have if I were a footballer.

Every World Cup at this stage, the third place play off is criticised. Personally, I am in favour of it.

For a huge football contest like the World Cup which has as many as 208 teams attempting to get to a 32 team month long tournement, is it a bad idea to have first, second and third place?

The winning team will leave with their bronze medals, which I would be proud to have if I were a footballer.

Never realised that they got medals or the play off.

Agreed. They might not be happy about it right now (after all, they just missed their chance to make the finals, that's gotta be a pretty big downer), but making 3rd place? Out of all those teams? That's still a pretty big achievement that deserves recognition. I remember 4 years ago, Germany celebrated their 3rd place German team with great enthusiasm and showed the players that we still appreciated what they managed to pull through with - this year, it won't be any different if they make 3rd. I'm looking forward to tonight's game and will be rooting for the home team once again. And tomorrow - ORANJE!

I think a lot of it depends on the team's expectations going into the tournament, I would guess that for Turkey and South Korea in 2002, they didn't have serious expectations of reaching the semi final so for them the 3/4th place match probably felt more like a final. I suspect if a team like Brazil or Spain had ended up losing semi finals then they would probably have just seen it as a reminder of failing to reach the final.

I could be wrong but I'm sure I remember hearing some of the England players in 1990 saying it was a big nothing for them and at that stage all they wanted to do was go home but they had to stay on for the extra days when everything was gearing up for the final but they knew they weren't going to be part of it.

Wasn't going to watch it but plans to go out out fell through at the last minute, so wayched the game instead and it was good.

Hope the final's not a let down, anything but 0:0 or a cagey 1:0 would be good.