The Football Chat

Daniel

Plus I seem to remember Italy drawing 1-1 with the US in the group stage in 2006 so I don't think its time for the mass suicide bid just yet!

agreed but I do worry capelo isnt sure who to play, a sick milner starting, SWP on in his place and not cole? crouch coming on and not dafoe?

and whats all these rumors about james and barry being fit but capelo not asking or knowing, sounds dodgy to me.

my team would be

james

johnson, dawson, terry, cole

lennon, barry, lamps, j, cole

gerrard

Roony.

things not working then maybe dafoe and one of the big men come on. carra isnt the player he once was and is dirty, can easily see him getting another yellow. king looks injured also.

when we start with hesky or crouch we just hit bloody long balls all the time, yes hesky won almost every ball but nothing came of it! england can be brilliant when we pass it fast and move fast one touch. but to often we long ball it or mess around. with all our defensive issues, we need to score goals, and we are capable of doing so.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok .. the 4-0 by Germany against Australia yesterday? I didn't find it as impressive as it reads on paper. I mean, yes, it showed that the young team isn't hiding their talent or performing timidly - they went at it with refreshing tenacity and actual fun! All in all though, the Australians could easily have scored a goal or 3, and the 4 goals for Germany were rather .. flattering.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a supporter of the German team, through and through, complete with the flag flying and the scheduling of my plans around their soccer games - but I really think the 4-0 needn't be 'worshipped' as much as is being done all around currently.

That said - GO GERMANY! *chuckles* Here's to dreaming big!

Another surprise Japan 1-0 Cameroon :( well played Japan, but still surprised.

Italy didn't seem on top form tonight :D , mind you Paraguay are a pretty good team. I think Italy will go through, I expect they will beat New Zealand and Slovakia.

Sick as it makes me feel saying this, it does give an indication of what a good job Mourinhio has done with him at Inter. He often has to play out of position there but seems to do it much more willingly

Whilst Mourinho did indeed get excellent performances from Eto'o, it did rather help that he was being supplied by a huge talent like Sneijder, and other very talented players like Muntari and Cambiasso. The big problem with Cameroon was that there was nobody with any great clue in their midfield; they were hugely ineffectual. Eto'o can't work wonders if he's not getting even a basic service.

Fair point but in times gone by I can temember his attitude not exactly being spot on when he was playing out of position at Barcelona.

It'll be interesting to see what Cameroon do in the next game, after all on paper this looked to be a fairly open group for second spot at the start of the tournament but Cameroon and Denmark both have a lot to do now to get themselves into a better position.

My Goodness :o New Zealand equalised, 1-1, fair play to them. I'm now cheerinhg on Ivory Coast against Portugal, haven't forgetten 2006 and 2004 :angry:

Will also be watching Brazil v North Korea tonight. Can only see one result in that match. Hungary's 10-1 win against El Salvador in 1982 is currently the biggest ever win in a World Cup, but could that record be broken tonight? <_<

That Portugal v Ivory Coast was abit of a let down :rolleyes:

Enjoyed Brazil v North Korea, certainly a much closer match than expected, I thought many more goals for Brazil, but credit to North Korea for trying.

Shame about Ledley King's injury B) , but I am confident Carragher can fill his boots. He jas the experiance and is a talent.

Spain tomorrow. Much expected of them.. ^_^

I am confident Carragher can fill his boots. He jas the experiance and is a talent.

Agree, have been annoyed that the media keep on mentioning Carra's lack of pace. King has a lack of fitness and Dawson a lack of experience. It's just the pro-Spurs and anti LFC brigade that work in the media trying to stir things up.

At the World Cup it's defensive skill and experience that counts, somehow I doubt we're gonna play high up the pitch and leave ourselves open to being caught by pace, as Terry's not the fastest either.

Play with Carra and Terry and we'll be rock solid in the remaining two group games.

I can't understand all this fuss about Jamie Carraghers lack of pace, it's hardly a great secret that he's not the quickest player in the world, he never has been. I'm sure Capello took that into account when he picked the squad.

I thought he made some sensible points about this yesterday:

"Every player has different strengths and weaknesses, no player has everything. I'm certainly not slow but I'm not the quickest.

"The reason myself and John Terry are at this level is that we are good at reading the game rather than having outstanding pace. The best partner I've had at Liverpool was Sami Hyypia and he was slower than me and John Terry, but it's about understanding and getting in the right position.

"We've played against the best strikers in the world. Altidore made a great first touch and turn and as I'd been booked early on I was a bit worried about giving a penalty away because he was on the edge of the box and I could have got a red card.

"It happened to me at West Ham this season, against Zavon Hines [a challenge that prompted a yellow card and penalty] and I've learned that, at times like that, you have to let him go. That's what the 'keeper's there for.

I think the press reaction to the US game in general has been stupidly over the top even by English press standards. Capello has gone from being a tactical genius to a bumbling idiot in less than a week if you believe all you read. I don't think he got everything right against the Americans but at the same time we are not privvy to everything that goes on in the training sessions.

Edited by Count Fooku

:lol: Spain lost to Switzerland !!!! :D Can't believe it. After Chile beat Honduras things are not looking good for Spain.

I do hope South Africa beat Urugauy tonight, I'd like to see them progress.

Kind of weird that during tonight's RSA game, the vuvuzela's are a lot quieter than other games.

Because they got thrashed :D

I think that might have been more to do with the TV coverage than the actual noise inside the stadium. I think the commentators mentioned several times last night that it was noisier than any of the other games they had been to.

Had to chuckle towards the end though, all this talk of the Africans being so happy just to have the tournament in their country and are enjoying the spectacle, when they were losing though the stream of people leaving was worse than at Old Trafford when the mancs are losing!

Kind of weird that during tonight's RSA game, the vuvuzela's are a lot quieter than other games.

There will be some sort of variation from stadium to stadium because of the different acoustics, positioning of mics, mic characteristcs, distance from the crowd, even atmospheric conditions. Oh, and I also heard that the TV guys were either turning the sound down generally, or filtering out the vuvuzela frequencies, or a mix of both.

• Moderators

Grrr Arrr, Argentina won :firedevil: . I thought South Korea were doing well until 75th minute :(

Now cheering on Greece in the vain hope that Argentina may still fail to reach the second round.

I'd much rather have Argentina go through. They've put in some of the best performances so far, and we'll get far better matches with them involved. So far, they certainly deserve to go through.

Grrr Arrr, Argentina won :firedevil: . I thought South Korea were doing well until 75th minute :(

Now cheering on Greece in the vain hope that Argentina may still fail to reach the second round.

I'd much rather have Argentina go through. They've put in some of the best performances so far, and we'll get far better matches with them involved. So far, they certainly deserve to go through.

This thread is about football, not diving :(