Red dwarf to return!

timelord81r

It's great to hear that it's coming back for another series, "Dave" has been the best thing for Red Dwarf in recent years. Let's face it, if it had been up to the BBC then this wouldn't be happening. The BBC haven't repeated RD in years, whereas Dave do at least once a month. Danny John Jules has been very forthright about the BBC and their treatment of the show in interviews. It's one of the corporations most successful ever sitcoms and they treat it terribly, credit where credit's due.

I absolutely love Series 1 and 2, but I'd say the show's golden age was Series 3 to 6. They had brilliant stories and scripts with loads of memorable lines and hilarious scenes.

Series 7 had it's moments such as "Tikka to Ride" and the brilliant Ace Rimmer sequence with the Nazis, but overall it wasn't as good as the previous 6. The glossy new look and lack of an audience took away a lot of what made the show good. Chloe Annett did a good job as Kochanski and Kryten's hatred towards her gave us some very funny moment's. You can't deny that Chloe is a real hottie and it was great to watch her for that reason. :-)

Also I didn't like the way Kryten looked in S7 either, his head looked different and his costume looked like it was made out of kitchen foil.

Series 8 fared better (in my opinion), the bunk scenes were back, Kryten had all the best lines and Kochanski fitted in much better. It's a shame that they ressurected the entire crew though, as it was no longer just the 4 or 5 of them together in Starbug or Red Dwarf. But I did like Captain Hollister and the scenes with Rimmer and Lister in his office. The series also ended on a bit of a flat note, especially when you see the deleted alternate ending that had been filmed.

I actually loved "Back To Earth", there the closest thing we'll ever have to a "Red Dwarf" Movie I think. It's a shame how the advert breaks shortened them down a bit and the episodes seemed to go by at an incredibly fast pace. But apart from that, they were great and I like how it went back to it being just Lister, Rimmer, Cat and Kryten alone on Red Dwarf again.

It looks like it's going to remain that way for the new series as well, as I Robert didn't mention Chloe Annett in his Blog post.

For me personally Series 1-6 are absolutely perfect and hilarious Red Dwarf. Can't fault anything about them.
Even series 4? Personally I am not a fan of Camille, and Meltdown makes me cringe ( apart from the Winnie The Pooh scene which is hilarious :huh: ).

The first couple of episodes of Season 7 were good, but I actually started to dislike it after that, and by the end of Season 7 I despised it. Couldn't believe the series started with an incredible episode like Tikka to Ride, and ended with Nanarchy. I thought it was abysmal. And a lot of it was down to Chloe Annett being brought in I felt.
Chris leaving and Chloe joining did change the dynamic. I quite enjoyed the change. That said it was great to have Chris back onboard for series 8.

is DAVE not part of the uktv network which is part owned by the bbc?

my big concern is ad breaks, in B2E they were awful, now doug must write the breaks into the show now, you cant have dave just splice it up. its got to be written with breaks to allow the ads otherwise its gonna be a mess.

also yer its worrying how chloe isnt mentioned anywhere but then they made an effort to put her into b2e so heres hoping, and she is out there somewhere with lister now searching. thats if they carry on from b2e.

has chloe been in anything aside that bit of b2e since the last series?

man I really regret not meeting her in 09, i was such a naive newbie at cons

yer camille is one of my least fav eps but its still got something its still classic dwarf. unlike B2E.

meltdown I love lol, especially the winnie the poo scene lol

Dave is owned by UKTV which is a joint venture between BBC Worldwide and Virgin Media. The history of the channel is...UK Gold Classics - UK Gold 2 - UKG2 - UKTV G2 - Dave. Phew!

I think you may be right Rob and the new series will have a backstory of finding Kochanski. I suspect that Chloe may have a couple of appearances but won't be part of the main cast :huh:

It's a shame that she isn't on Twitter. IMDb lists Chloe in Leila (2010)

Also I didn't like the way Kryten looked in S7 either, his head looked different and his costume looked like it was made out of kitchen foil.
Robert comments about it during the DVD commentaries. On occasions it even looks different from scene to scene. Sometimes blackish, others more silver/grey. Edited by 1of2

• 2 weeks later...

Ah s***... I knew about this back in August 2010 at the Glasgow Event. I was having a lengthy chat about it with the Legend DJJ (who was a guest at the event).

I was told to keep it hush hush as they was still negtiating a contract with "DAVE"... but since the "Kat's out of the Bag" :D

We photo-bombed Chris Barry.

39905_413358607214_607137214_4825482_3796744_n.jpg

Ah s***... I knew about this back in August 2010 at the Glasgow Event. I was having a lengthy chat about it with the Legend DJJ (who was a guest at the event).

I was told to keep it hush hush as they was still negtiating a contract with "DAVE"... but since the "Kat's out of the Bag" :D

I don't think it was really a secret. Craig had openly discussed it on a radio show back in June 2010. The only unknown was when it was going to actually happen.

The deleted end of series 8 was great- I still to this day don't really understand the aired ending. I liked the impossibly long name with doctor Cat. Deoxydexydixytrexi..... whatever! How the heck does DJJ manage to give lines line that?! The aired ending just seemed a bit rushed.

• 2 months later...