Thinking Of Starting A Comic Stall...

Blairy

I hope you'll all forgive me if I start with a little back-story. (Also, sorry if this is the wrong place to put this).

When I turned 17 and could drive, me and a few friends started going the length and breadth of Britain, trying to get to as many conventions as possible. See, I'm a big comic fan and I just loved the convention circuit. We would drive down on Friday night, spend the weekend there, then drive back up on Sunday night.

Thing was, every time I would be driving to and from these events I couldn't but think - if I could still go to these conventions, still get to meet all the amazing people who go there, AND make a bit of cash on the side? That would be awesome.

I realised there and then - It was my secret dream to run a comic stall. Of course, this was a naive, rose-tinted pipe-dream, but a dream none the less.

That... didn't happen.

What did happen was that, when I was 18, I started an e-Bay shop dealing in 2nd hand graphic novels. Initially it started off as a way to get rid of my own collection, but it eventually blossomed into a nice little cash-maker - nothing to write home about, but enough to help supplement my Uni studies.

Now something terrifying has happened.

Last week I turned 21 :D

I am now officially a man

Because of this, I've been determined this year to get my 'dream' off the ground, before I finish Uni and real-life starts to get in the way.

Since I now have a sizable stock of 2nd Hand Graphic Novels (and I don't believe there actually is one at CG) I figured that I could set up a table catering to that exclusively.

I also figured since I'm a son of Glasgow myself, that Collectormania Glasgow would be the perfect place to dip my toes, since it's a 'smaller' convention compared to the busier ones down south.

The thing is, I've never ran a stall before and I'm a bit nervous about starting one up - it's a big leap from eBaying to face-to-face sales. On top of that, it would be a lot of money to invest (registration fees, plus I'd need to buy equipment to display items and 100's of various other bits and bobs that I haven't even thought of yet.)

As everyone here is a valiant patron of CG, I figured you guys and gals would be the ones to ask this important question -

Do you guys think there would be any interest in a 2nd Hand Graphic Novels Stall?

Hi,

Personally I'm not into comics or graphic novels, but I know my Husband collects them and is more informed than me about them.

I do know he is passionate about them and collects reissues or reprints, whatever they are called, lol, to actually read so that his 'official' collection does not get compromised. I would think that he would definately peruse your table especially.

I do know he collects British and American comics and has 'slabbed' and Graded some of his more important examples of his collection.

I really should get my Husband to register on this site, as he really is more informed about the hobby than me.

So in conclusion, yes, in my opinion I think you would do well at Glasgow, especially if you have some limited editions, signed or hard to get copies, that can actually be read.

Hope to see you at Glasgow!

Every success,

Ann

xx

I really should get my Husband to register on this site, as he really is more informed about the hobby than me.

Hope to see you at Glasgow!

Ann

xx

:D:D:D

xxxx

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry mushroomfandango, but Blair can't post the ebay link here.

Selling is prohibited on this forum, so we can't allow links to personal ebay auctions or stores.

hmmm thats annoying.

He could post his username? Then I could find him?

Whatcha could do is post a link to your facebook or something and then he can send you the link.

Hiyo dudes and dudettes.

Well, it's been a while, but I think I've made my decision -

If there are no more complications (though there are probably thousands I still haven't thought of yet) I'm going to open my stall! :lol:

The one thing that's causing me problems is figuring out the best way to display my product - I keep looking around for display stands , but their either insanely expensive, or are full length from floor to ceiling. Ideally I'd like something that can sit on the tables, but are a bit more sophisticated than just cardboard boxes!

Anyway, if anyone has any advice on running a stall or on my display problems, please contact me.

Oh, P.S. - For the short term I've decided to 'close' my eBay shop to save up my stock, but if you come see me at Collectormania I'll hit you up with my details!

------

Edited by Blairy

Ikea is a godsend for random stuff like that - Or there's a wee shopfitters place that sells second hand display gear in Whiteside Street ( I think ) in Glasgow.

The sign looks good - Love the art, that custom?

I'd move the "New and used comics" to below "Heroes" though.

The 2 looks a bit odd for some reason, but not sure how to change it. Maybe have it breaking through the side of the panel instead of floating over it?

Edited by Reverend Scapegoat

Ikea is a godsend for random stuff like that - Or there's a wee shopfitters place that sells second hand display gear in Whiteside Street ( I think ) in Glasgow.

The sign looks good - Love the art, that custom?

I'd move the "New and used comics" to below "Heroes" though.

The 2 looks a bit odd for some reason, but not sure how to change it. Maybe have it breaking through the side of the panel instead of floating over it?

Cool, I'll have to check them out, thanks!

And yeah, I did the sign myself, and tried to make what I thought would look like a Scottish Superhero :D

-----

Edited by Blairy

• 2 weeks later...

Hiyo dudes and dudettes.

Well, it's been a while, but I think I've made my decision -

If there are no more complications (though there are probably thousands I still haven't thought of yet) I'm going to open my stall! :YAHOO:

The one thing that's causing me problems is figuring out the best way to display my product - I keep looking around for display stands , but their either insanely expensive, or are full length from floor to ceiling. Ideally I'd like something that can sit on the tables, but are a bit more sophisticated than just cardboard boxes!

Anyway, if anyone has any advice on running a stall or on my display problems, please contact me!

Also (if the Mods will allow it, please delete if it breaks terms of service), here's a proposed sign for my shop - please rate!

Oh, P.S. - For the short term I've decided to 'close' my eBay shop to save up my stock, but if you come see me at Collectormania I'll hit you up with my details!

------

As a dealer myself, just love this approach to by-passing the advertising rules on this forum. How long would my message last if I started to display my banner and ask customers what they thought about it - nice way of beating the system if you can get away with it.......or am I just being miserable?

Edited to remove link per request

Edited by Queen_Sindel

^^^^^

Removed picture from my post, if you can do the same for yours then it's gone.

I'm not trying to stir-up anything here, nor was I trying to by-pass any rules, I just didn't know if there was a rule against it (Hence why I asked if it was okay to the mods in my original post).

However, I accept that ignorance is not an excuse so I apologise.

Also, to stop any more accusations, this'll be the last time I post anything. So I'll just say, hope to see you all there!

<_<