Concerning the longevity and frequency of Hub events

etmuse

Hub frequency  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Please select which applies to you, regarding moving the Hub to once annually...

• I am more likely to be able to keep attending in the long term if the Hub was only once a year
    • I have no trouble affording 2 a year, so can keep attending either way

I can afford two cons a year, but if it went down to one I wouldn't complain, as it would probably be easier for ME to organise a better event (remember Captain Jack's office at HUB 1?)

As long as we knew there would be a HUB 6 when the new series airs, I'm sure people would book for it, and it would be all the sweeter for the wait. John, Eve, hellos from the old hands and the new ones would make it a very special event indeed.

Normally I have my ticket straight away for the next Hub (exception being Hub 3, but that was only a couple of weeks later). I can't afford it at the moment, and knowing it isn't likely to sell out, I can wait. I'm probably only going for standard unless they get a selection of guests I really want photos with.

One a year would be much better for me, I'm somehow managing to stretch out my money to 16 events this year (SM, ME and others) but I'm crewing at some so I can justify the others. I just haven't really "felt it" on the last two Hubs for some reason but I would like it to keep going - and at one a year I could be sure I could afford it.

I know that for myself, once a year would be ideal. I love going over to the UK for the Hub convention, but most of the time it's just not affordable for me to make the trip over more than once a year. It's hard enough trying to get time off at work now and it would be much easier for me to make it to one of my fave conventions if it didn't occur twice a year. I've made lots of great new friends from the Hub conventions and wouldn't want for it to stop just because the number of people attending is an issue.

While, with a bit of money juggling, I can afford for there to be two Hubs a year, I really wish that there as only one Hub a year. That way I could 1) do more than a "fly there - do the con - fly back" type of thing, 2) be more supportive of the DW/TW cons & things here in the States and 3) maybe, just MAYBE, be able to afford to fly over to see some of the cast doing their non-TW/DW live gigs.

Also another thing to think about now that the deal w/ STARZ has been announced is the possibility (no matter how unlikely Ithink it is) of new fans in North America who might want to attend something like the Hub & traveling that far ain't cheap. Having a fair amount time to save up for the trip is always a good thing.

So I vote for one Hub year. But how ever many times a year the event it needs to NOT be during the summer or when ever the major tourist season for there.

Morgan

I've voted for once a year.

Although I CAN afford 2 a year, and i've made friends who I would like to see more than once a year, and i really enjoy them and love only having to wait 6 months, i agree once a year would be sooo much better!

I'm only 16, and I do have job and earn enough money to go to the hubs, however i would really love to actually be able to start saving it, and with doing my A-levels next year, saving for uni and learning to drive, i could really do with the hub being once a year :WINCE:

Plus i only get 7 days holiday a year, and being in A-levels, i really shouldn't be going to the hubs during term time (but i will :lol: ) and also i think theres going to come a point where my mum just says 'No' because i waste all my money on it and it's twice a year, but I would hate to miss any! ):

I could understand going back to 2 a year AFTER series 4, for a year or so, but the hub is going to end up being cancelled if it continues this way :unsure:

Rant over :lol:

Psst (p.s) - This was a really good idea btw :lol:

• 2 months later...

I've never been to a Hub event before but I am just starting to really get into Torchwood (had the dvds for a while but only just watching them now) and am quickly becoming obsessed, so although I can't make this one I really hope there's a Hub 6..and 7...etc! So that I can come to one :smile:

Interesting to see this topic @ the top of the forum again.

I still feel that, in spite of TW being renewed for a 4th series, having the Hubs only once a year would be a great idea. I don't know about anyone else but money-wise things have only gotten tighter since I originally voted on this. As much as I'd love to atleast try to make every Hub, it just may not be possible.

~~~~~~~

Does anyone know if SM/ME have an opinion on this topic?

Morgan

• Moderators

If they do decide to wait a year for another one, this time especially it would seem to make sense - in 6 months' time they're most likely going to be filming in the US, so they'd have to be flying any 'main cast' over. Also, there's a SMALL chance that in a year's time they might have (started, at least) airing the next series, which would surely mean more interest!

If they do decide to wait a year for another one, this time especially it would seem to make sense - in 6 months' time they're most likely going to be filming in the US, so they'd have to be flying any 'main cast' over. Also, there's a SMALL chance that in a year's time they might have (started, at least) airing the next series, which would surely mean more interest!

I agree with you completely on this. And I know that if there is a Hub in April, it will be incredibly difficult for me to manage it. (December and April are my busiest work months.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

been thinking about it more lately, definitely thinking one a year would be better, I'm looking forward to The Hub 6 and everything but I know a lot of people can't afford two a year anymore :D I can probably just about still afford two a year but I'd rather have one big one where everyone can get to it, more fun then! :)

Edited by Doctor Who