Photographers.

gemma85

I had the female photographer for my Sunday Chaske shoots and the photos are Absolutely fab!! Chaske was up for a laugh which really helped, got 3 pics with him:

1st: he was being "scary" and I was "scared"

2nd: we done charlie's angels (my avatar pic)

3rd: he let me and my friend pretend to bite him!! ;)

wish I had the guts to ask for poses and such (not with chaske mind lol, doesnt float my boat, well still its been a while lol)

Though perhaps maybe Danielle shoud wear a hawaii shirt next time. :D

I'm sure I have seen her in one before now :P

I've seen Malcolm in a photoshoot session without one. It felt wrong!

I must have missed that one lol.

lol monday he had a plain black fleece on and I was like this dont feel right lol, I think SM should buy malcolm an hawian fleece ;-)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the female photographer for my Sunday Chaske shoots and the photos are Absolutely fab!! Chaske was up for a laugh which really helped, got 3 pics with him:

3rd: he let me and my friend pretend to bite him!! :P

Ohhh, could you post the pics on here? Would love to see them!

Will put them on photobucket now :)

3rd: he let me and my friend pretend to bite him!! ;)

wish I had the guts to ask for poses and such (not with chaske mind lol, doesnt float my boat, well still its been a while lol)

I had asked him the day before if he would be up for silly photos the next day and he was like oh hell yeah!! Although I must admit, asking to bite him was a bit nerveracking :D A woman working there said "the key word here is PRETEND to bite him" hehehe :D

3rd: he let me and my friend pretend to bite him!! :P

Ohhh, could you post the pics on here? Would love to see them!

here they are :D

http://showmastersonline.com/forums/index....t&p=1544713

I wasnt quite sure where to put this so I thought I would just start a new topic.

I had pics with Linda, Chaske, Barry and the amazing Michelle Forbes and for the most part, they came out great. In fact I was pleasantly surprised because I thought my hair was going to be all frizzy from queing in the rain but luckily, it behaved itself lol

However there was something that was niggling away at me though. When it came time for both me and my sis's photo with Michelle in Photo B, she put her arm around us aswell as hold our hands at the front, cuddling us in. It was a nice experience but one that was missed in the actual photo. Instead of being taken portrait it was taken landscape and completely missed the pose, so all we have is an upper body shot which looks rather generic. As I stated, all the pictures came out great but it's just a shame that when we had such a nice pose, it wasnt captured on film.

As the weekend went on, it became clear that we weren't the only people experiencing this and it appeared in the actual photo shoots themselves, unless you asked for the pic to be taken portrait, it just seemed automatically to be done landscape.

The pose was a spur of the moment thing, intiated by Michelle herself so therefore there was no way of being able to ask for the pic to be taken portrait. However, I dont really think it should have to be necessary to ask the photographer. As a professional, they should be on the ball enough to realise how the picture should be taken to get the best shot.

I am pleased with my pics overall but it's a shame and a little disapointing that when you spend the money you do on having a photo with the guests, in some cases, you dont get quite the result that you would expect when a professional photographer is taking the picture.

Anyways, was a great weekend overall and this was my only complaint.

I had the same problem with my photos from ET3, so when I realised I had a photoshoot with Danielle I asked her if she would take my photo portrait (I was cosplaying Sookie Stackhouse and wanted to make sure you could see as much of the costume as poss)... ironically, the next day with Malcolm - he took my photo landscape (all my previous ones with him he'd taken portrait so didn't think to ask!!)

ive never had the guts to ask for a pose, im to shy, ive seen some great poses both at SM events and others specifically american cons where some ppl get superp sposes and some even have ones like them lying down on the floor and the actor say teryl from sg1 pretending to check there pulse, how do you get the balls to ask for something that elaberate? wish I had those balls lol.

wish I had the guts to ask for really proper close hugs with the female guests also ;-) or like one guy did at cm16 mr fribble with chris barrie holding the puppet

I know what you mean. I've only just started doing the shoots over the last year (after years of just doing at the desk photos) so I wondered that too. I guess it depends on how busy the shoot is. Although I'm sure I remember seeing a couple of photos on here last year when people had got Leonard Nimoy to give them the Vulcan nerve pinch, and he was of course a very busy shoot. Those were cool photos. I think they just asked him and he said yes.

I've been very happy with all the shoots I've had. Malcolm and Danielle are both great. Malcolm seems like a friend now, end up seeing him so many times in a year lol.

Although thinking about it now a couple of the astronauts I met at Autographica did a handshake pose with me and others, and the photo missed that, but I'm just glad to have any photo with such legends.

One thing that I do remember from last Sat - at both the Patrick shoot and the Linda shoot Malcolm had to keep asking for quiet. Some people in groups who were coming into the bag table area were very loud and the crew members had to tell them that Malcolm obviously needed quiet to concentrate on his job.

To do so many photos in just a few hours must be difficult.

I know what you mean. I've only just started doing the shoots over the last year (after years of just doing at the desk photos) so I wondered that too. I guess it depends on how busy the shoot is. Although I'm sure I remember seeing a couple of photos on here last year when people had got Leonard Nimoy to give them the Vulcan nerve pinch, and he was of course a very busy shoot. Those were cool photos. I think they just asked him and he said yes.

Yes, just ask - and explain what you want as quick as you can.

It does help a lot if the guest does have a connection to the thing you're asking for, like Leonard with the Vulcan nerve pinch or Chaske with the bite. If you would have asked Kate if you could pretend to bite her the reaction would probably have been a whole lot different. :D

Once you've asked for the first time and the photo turns out well you don't get nervous that easy anymore. :D

If you would have asked Kate if you could pretend to bite her the reaction would probably have been a whole lot different. :o

Once you've asked for the first time and the photo turns out well you don't get nervous that easy anymore. :D

Yes I can just imagine the look on Kates face lol. Someone a few in front of me at the shoot gave her a weapon to hold and she said "what do you want me to do with it...oh, shoot it" and she gave him a fun look :D

I'll definitely ask in the future if theres a guest I meet and it seems appropriate to what they've done. Thanks.

Someone a few in front of me at the shoot gave her a weapon to hold and she said "what do you want me to do with it...oh, shoot it" and she gave him a fun look :D

Yes, if there's a prop of any kind involved there's definitely some explanations required. :D

Yes, if there's a prop of any kind involved there's definitely some explanations required. :D

Yeah it could get a bit tricky :D Kates reaction made everyone who was in line nearby laugh. The look on her face when she first saw the weapons was priceless. She seemed very relaxed at the shoot which made it great.

Yes, just ask - and explain what you want as quick as you can.

It does help a lot if the guest does have a connection to the thing you're asking for, like Leonard with the Vulcan nerve pinch or Chaske with the bite. If you would have asked Kate if you could pretend to bite her the reaction would probably have been a whole lot different. :D

im almost as bad around guests as i am around women :-(

dont know where id start in asking for a pose, id just start sweating and holding up the queue lol

dont know where id start in asking for a pose, id just start sweating and holding up the queue lol

Maybe best don't start with a female guest then. :D (Sorry, I know, bad joke.)

It's really easy. After the usual "hi, how are you?" ask: "Can we do...?" Maybe start with something easy like a back to back pose or so - always looks kind of cool. :D

Maybe best don't start with a female guest then. ;) (Sorry, I know, bad joke.)

It's really easy. After the usual "hi, how are you?" ask: "Can we do...?" Maybe start with something easy like a back to back pose or so - always looks kind of cool. :smile:

with chaske, I asked him the day before when getting his autos if he would be up for silly photos the next day and he was like "hell yeah!" so if he'd of said no I'd of known before rather than embarassing the pair of us infront of a photo queue!! So when I saw him the next day I just reminded him and told him the poses I wanted and he was lovely and so up for it!! I also went at the end of the queue so as to not hold everyone else up :D

Thanks a lot!

The pics are really awesome!

I saw you around during the con, btw :)

thank you I love them!! Ahh did you? :D I half expected to see more people dressed up for twilight, I only saw 2 other bellas, 2 alices, Edward and emmett!!

Maybe best don't start with a female guest then. :D (Sorry, I know, bad joke.)

It's really easy. After the usual "hi, how are you?" ask: "Can we do...?" Maybe start with something easy like a back to back pose or so - always looks kind of cool. :smile:

yer but I dont want hugs and kisses off male guests ;-) well maybe barrowman lol

yer i liked the idea that a guy did bringing mr fribble to the dwarf shoot for chris to hold. but again doubt id ever muster the courage to ask, humm, will try and work my way upto it,

online i saw some cool ones of summer from terminator and firefly grabbing a dude by the neck ala terminator style looked cool for his second pic

yer i liked the idea that a guy did bringing mr fribble to the dwarf shoot for chris to hold.

Was that the guy with the long hair tied back? If it was, he was soooo funny when I was sat with Chris on Saturday.

i think so, but remember more the dwarf guys with mr fribble than the guy, though i think he had a black shirt on.

oh i do remember he carried on trying to say something in mr fribble talk after his pic that i couldnt make out.

Possible. I remember that request from other events when it was about replica weapons in the pictures, respectively the same not being allowed in the photos. Some guests are just uncomfortable, and technically one can never tell what might be handled to you.

I use a DSLR but am certianly not a professional photogfrapher, barely an amatuer so this is partial speculation on my part. Due to the design (controls etc) it is more awkward to use a DSLR camera constantly in portrait mode, the photographer is in a more unnatrual posture which can be uncomfortable. Also they are fairly heavy compared to point & shoot cameras. So to have a whole photoshoot session, sometimes lasting 90 minutes, in portrait would be a lot to ask. They could use a tripod but then when there are more than two people in the shot the framing would not work without moving the tripod. Yes you can change the lens to a short focal length but that would result in distortion to the faces.

I use a DSLR and like to think of myself as semi-pro at least when given then chance :D

I agree that holding a dslr in portrait can be a lot of painful/tiring work if you have to hold them like that for too long, as I do in the photography I do, if you only have the camera 'as is'.

However, there are battery grips available, at least for the canon cameras and sure at least nikon too, which attach to the bottom of the camera to make it MUCH easier to hold the camera in portrait as easy as it is in landscape. Also add's more stability for the camera, and with 2 batterys inside, extra power.

Downsides are though they add a fair bit of size and weight to the camera's, and the costs. I think their worth it though and mine hardly gets taken off!

bg-e3.jpg

I use a DSLR and like to think of myself as semi-pro at least when given then chance :P
Fair play if you are trying to get into that industry! Personally I enjoy photography, but having the possible stress of it being a source of income is not for me. That and I'm not good enough :coolthumb: .
I agree that holding a dslr in portrait can be a lot of painful/tiring work if you have to hold them like that for too long, as I do in the photography I do, if you only have the camera 'as is'.

However, there are battery grips available, at least for the canon cameras and sure at least nikon too, which attach to the bottom of the camera to make it MUCH easier to hold the camera in portrait as easy as it is in landscape. Also add's more stability for the camera, and with 2 batterys inside, extra power.

Downsides are though they add a fair bit of size and weight to the camera's, and the costs. I think their worth it though and mine hardly gets taken off!

I didn't mention battery grips only because I was suggesting why they shoot landscape with the equipment that they currently use. It does make you wonder if they have considered using them. Nikon didn't do one for a D70 (which Malcolm uses) but I know Hanhel used to. There is probably a good reason why they shoot the way they do.

Compositional assumption? That the average 'joe public' (no offence intended to anyone!) will normally take the majority of their own photos in landscape and would therefore be used to viewing photos in that format.

Maybe the weight of the grip is too much over that period of time. No idea as I have never used one (yet!)

If I ever get the chance to speak to Malcolm again I will enquire. I'm just plain curious now. It's called 'portrait' for a reason :dance:

I use a battery grip with my Canon EOS 400D. Best thing ever!

Just a heads up in case Michelle Forbes comes back - she doesn't do prop photos!

Oh, really? That's surprising, she seemed really warm in the photoshoots and very happy to get into a cosy pose :headscratch:

Yup - she told me on Saturday when I put something to her for my Sunday photoshoot. I think she's more worried about looking silly tbh.

Have to say because of my height I do prefer my photos portrait.

My 5'1" vs. John Barrowmans 6" plus does not equal a good landscape photo.

I have got into the habit of, just as I'm heading toward the guest from the que, turning to Malcolm or Danielle and saying 'Danielle/Malcolm, can I have portrait please' before joining the guest and saying hi. This has thrown a couple of guests but they quickly picked up why/what I was asking.

Malcolm and Danielle have always done this without question and I'm glad I started asking because the photos really do look better to me and that's what's important, after all I'm the one paying £20 plus for the thing.