Why are Stalls in the Warm and Guests in the cold ?

gazznewbie

Apolgies to any stall holders reading

but would it not be better for guests to be in the warm stalls area and them outside in the cold

the guests are surely more important

and if they are freezing all day wont they tell their celeb friends who would avoid MK in future ?

some of the guests are getting on a bit it cannot do them a lot of good in the cold

yesterday was good weather but I was personally shivering today at times

and I could nip in the warm area every so often

I do not think I would have liked sitting in the cold all day myself

I think it is to do with the fact that the room where the dealers are can be locked at night so they do not have to remove all the stalls at the end of each day as they would if they were out on the walkway.

Guests had tents up, and wrapped up. And had warm drinks.

Some were indoors, they were at the end of corridors stretching back. Like PS or KM.

But those like Georgia moffett were left out in the cold when I saw an unused room. somewhere.

Was suggested last year as well but as the stadium hall was supposed to be finished by now the state of the stadium has me thinking nothing will ever be finished there! Toilet's had no proper roof on them, sinks out of order and one bar roof was leaking right out of the light fixtures. Health and Safety would have a field day there!!

you have to think of the stock value aswell would you want your stock exposed to the elements if say you had vintage posters and comic books on sale?

I remember this discussion coming up last year and I think the dealers said that the main reason was the potential rain damage to their stock as you say.

Like last year though I do feel for the guests, especially the older ones. Gotta say though, Lance LeGault, 75 now and what a legend. Totally brilliant to meet and no amount of cold and rain was going to get him to leave early. Met him for an autograph, then saw him again just before closing time and he said that when he signs a contract to sign all day he sticks to it and he certainly did. For anyone thinking of meeting him Sun or Mon then I'd definitely recommend him. One of the friendliest guests I've ever met in years of going to shows.

Yeah, I was chatting to one of the dealers about comments I'd heard about them being inside while the guests were outside, and he said it was to protect the merchandise (as he mainly deals in paper products, it's vital to keep them dry). Which is understandable. I found it way too hot in there anyway - I would have melted waiting in queues to meet guests.

With luck the venue will be completed next time - it's not SM's fault that they've been let down again, although if time and resource had permitted, a tarp over the photo queue area might have been a good idea. (I don't remember it being a problem last time, so maybe SM didn't think it would be an issue this time round - I probably wouldn't have been too fussed except that I had a very unhappy chappy behind me in the queue who repeatedly brought my attention to it somewhat.) That was the only time I got dripped on, and I couldn't exactly walk away or I'd lose my place; this was a very small niggle in an otherwise great weekend, though.

• Moderators

With the number of guests at the event, and the size of some of the queues, I don't understand how anyone thinks it's logistically possible to put the guests in that room.

It was tricky enough trying to get round in between the stalls. I can only imagine how chaotic it would be if used solely for guests..

With the number of guests at the event, and the size of some of the queues, I don't understand how anyone thinks it's logistically possible to put the guests in that room.

It was tricky enough trying to get round in between the stalls. I can only imagine how chaotic it would be if used solely for guests..

Absolutly right, but ideally the guests, stall and public shouldn't be at an event held on the concourse of the MK Stadium. If they can't build this indoor hall we were told would be in place for this weekend. Maybe the stadium isn't the right venue. If retuning to the Centre:MK isn't possible then another venue around Milton Kenes maybe?

Absolutly right, but ideally the guests, stall and public shouldn't be at an event held on the concourse of the MK Stadium. If they can't build this indoor hall we were told would be in place for this weekend. Maybe the stadium isn't the right venue. If retuning to the Centre:MK isn't possible then another venue around Milton Kenes maybe?

I don't think the location is a major problem. If the weather had been as good as last weekend, it would have been great but the british weather is somewhat variable to say the least.

But I agree about the indoor bit, it got very uncomfortable after a short time and you'd never have got many of the guests in there.

It isn't ideal but I actually quite like the layout, it's just the weather that has caused these comments but the people I met seemed willing to try and shrug it off as much as possible.

To be fair on SM, it was not their fault the hall was not completed in time. Otherwise, everyone would have been inside. The October Collectormania at MK has been cancelled because an outside one in October would be too cold. Mind you, given the weather we are having, it might be warmer. :D Given the size of the event, the shopping centre is not really an option. Perhaps something like the NEC in Birmingham?

Mind you, for those of you wrapped up in multiple layers and are still complaining of the cold, spare a thought for the two Orion slave girls who were there all day Saturday and Sunday. :D

This was mine and my sis's first time at a CM at MK and was actually pleasantly surprised by the location. Wasnt quite sure what to expect being at a football stadium but found there was always plenty of seating to rest our weary, little feet despite the wind often smacking us in the face. Found it quite easily even though the sat nav took us down some back roads, parking was good, and the general layout was fine. The dealers hall did get quite stuffy and crowded, my sis nearly passed out and people barging in/pushing us out the way didnt help. Obviously the weather was a bit manky but other than that, all in all was a good experience.

Maybe the dates next year could be pushed back to a warmer time of year in case the hall still isnt done. Just an idea, not sure of the logistics though.

Had a brolly with us so when queing for photo op's, we didnt get wet, bit awkward though coz we kept poking people and each other in the head, most peeps just laughed it off but seems silly to have a brolly up when technically your under cover.

Enjoyed it, and would defo go back.

Thanks SM.

When i saw Patrick Stewart yesterday about 3.45pm he wasn't there because of the cold. I was told if enough people are in the queue to bring him back then they would. Thats understandable because of his age but not great if you want to get him or someone he knows back for us again. I had a great time yesterday but nearly missed out on Patrick because he may not have come back out. Just wonder whether its the best enviroment and venue to get high calibre guests like Patrick to come back or there in the first place? Im not so sure.:D

• Moderators

Oh I'm not against it being elsewhere period - I'm just looking at the logistics of if it had to be in the stadium, and where the guests should be etc.

I would certainly expect SMs to look elsewhere if the stadium keeps messing them around and isn't able to provide what they need. There's only so many times you can put up with that.

It was the same last year with the guest and fans getting cold.

It would be good to use the ball room but the dealers need to protect their stock.

Could we not use the meeting rooms for meeting guest, have all the ST ones in one room etc.

This would mean that the guest and fans are warmer!!!

Got wet at the photo shoots :blush: using a meeting room might help with that one as well

Are there going to be any more facilities built at the hotel/stadium for this - I hope that they do!! - it is good to have the chance to stay close to the event to rest feet and get warm and not carry everything around!! But if the stadium is not going to do any more could we go somewhere else?

;) According to the local papers in Milton Keynes over the last few months, they hope to have the MK Arena, which is the building attached to the Stadium on the Asda side, open sometime soon. This will be the home For the Milton Keynes Lightning Basketball team and I think will seat somewhere around 3,000 people. This area will be about the same as the area used in the Shopping centre for previous events. This is where I believe future events will be held. Everyone then should be undercover and in the warm.

As an MK Dons FC season ticket holder, it is interesting to hear all the comments on it being cold walking around the concourse. Come along on a wet, cold, windy evening in November through January and you will then feel how cold it really gets.

Overall, it was a great event with some fantastic people, especially the Sportsmania area. Good to have some different footballers, darts players etc

Looking forward to the next one in October.......! :D

Edited by Westiesx2