Do our Autographs Deteriorate if in Marker Pen

gazznewbie

I store my autographs in a plastic wallet and put a tiny amount of blue tack on the back of each autograph so that i can stick it to a piece of colour paper to display it better. Will this damage it at all?

I store my autographs in a plastic wallet and put a tiny amount of blue tack on the back of each autograph so that i can stick it to a piece of colour paper to display it better. Will this damage it at all?

Acid free mount paper is best and becareful where your photo is displayed as sunlight and room temperature can affect the signature and in time the actual photo.

Tend to take a plastic box which is ideal for protetcting the photos from events and use frames n mounts from wilkinsons soon as can get them. Just leaves slight problem of where to stick them hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Edited by madmilburn

Acid free mount paper is best and becareful where your photo is displayed as sunlight and room temperature can affect the signature and in time the actual photo.

I dont display it on the walls i just prefer it mounted on paper in my folder, i keep them in acid free plastic wallets, the paper doesnt touch the picture on the front or the signature, the paper should be fine shouldnt it? I mean there isnt any contact between the two.

Gold pen is AWFUL. I usually find that it wears off pretty quickly.

However, my Linda Hamilton auto was coming off before the event, and I left it out for a while to dry. :o And that's black ink, strangely.

i've still got all of last years lfcc stuff in the £1 sleeves and stuff from november's collectormania and none of mine have been effected. i usually leave them for atleast 20 minutes before putting them in. my photoshoots go in them too, i've had no problems so far :] no peely autos my when i first put my photos in they seemed to look like .. 'sweaty' should i say. sort of like the plastic cover on a new mobile?

i don't think the £1 wallets are bad :]

I use the £1 wallets myself,

then the autographed picture goes in a plastic holed wallet

which goes in a binder, which then goes in a 'really useful box' (acetate free)

overkill probably but that's me....... if it needs a slight nudge I'll whack it as hard as I can with a sledgehammer!

I wouldn't recommend the £1 wallets though mainly for the problems already outlined

I've never taken an auto out as they do seem to peel, unfortunately I'm "pot commited" (poker term)

now as all my collection resides in the £1 wallets. If I was starting from scratch I would go with the Ultrapro

pages, I keep my trading cards in Ultrapro pages and have never had any problems at all (including autographed cards)

:( You're scaring me...how quickly? I have one from Feb 2009 which is okay so far....touch wood.

I've got a gold signature from my first Stargate event in 2001 and that one is absolutely fine.

The problem Psychosis mentions could be a combination of the pen that was used and the material that was signed.

I do have an issue like that with one of my autographs... black pen (one of those "sticks on everything" pens) on an inkjet printout. The signature bleeds through on every sleeve I put the picture in. Oddly enough the signature on the photo hasn't deteriorated yet. I do have a normal glossy photo signed with the same pen, and that one doesn't have the problem.

However, my Linda Hamilton auto was coming off before the event, and I left it out for a while to dry. :( And that's black ink, strangely.

That sounds like there was some form of grease on the photo preventing the ink making a firm contact. I had the same a couple of years back :-(

I've had problems with all coloured ink over the years, I've had two written in black ink from this show damaged.

You just have to be very sure the ink is dry before they go into the £1 protectors, perhaps it is best to use something else to store them in while at the event which won't press them so hard.

Hmm, I'ms urprised that it's not a general problem with the gold pen. Every single autograph I've ever had in gold pen since 2002 has deteriorated already (still visible, but patchy), and I never stick them away until they have dried.

I've had problems with an autograph in silver once, and that was because I put it away too hastily, and once with a black at this show, which might be because of the photo it was on, I guess.

I've got a gold signature from my first Stargate event in 2001 and that one is absolutely fine.

The problem Psychosis mentions could be a combination of the pen that was used and the material that was signed.

Phew, good to know (not for Psychosis - a bit of bad luck there possibly). I will keep an eye on my gold Peter Williams (who else) autograph.

I work in an office stationery factory and have plastic folders for con use only and only had one problem with my Dirk Benedict auto from GMex it started to come off onto the pocket. Might not of waited long enough for it to dry! I've also got the PP A4 box wallets which are fantastic, there tough and sturdy enough to keep photo's from getting bent even in a crowd. Even better though is I get them for FREE!! :D

Phew, good to know (not for Psychosis - a bit of bad luck there possibly). I will keep an eye on my gold Peter Williams (who else) autograph.

Guess who did sign the autograph I mentioned? :lol:

Hmm, I'ms urprised that it's not a general problem with the gold pen. Every single autograph I've ever had in gold pen since 2002 has deteriorated already (still visible, but patchy), and I never stick them away until they have dried.

That's really odd. :YAHOO: One of my friend even requests everyone to sign in gold if possible because he thinks that pen is more durable.

Just thought I'd add my two-pennies worth !!

I find the best thing for protecting your pics at the show is a plastic folder you can buy in the 99p store !! It's A4 size and about an inch thick. It's strong enough to protect things..inc. auto pics and photos. I've even brought signed things home from the US and they've been fine.

Also, if using coloured pens, just be 110% sure they're dry and you shouldn't have any probs.You can also store in these folders...I've got autos that are quite a few years old and have no problems ( touch wood !)

Hope this helps. :YAHOO:

That's really odd. :lol: One of my friend even requests everyone to sign in gold if possible because he thinks that pen is more durable.

Haha! I always panic when they reach for the gold and request that they don't use it. That doesn't happen very often though because they rarely have gold pen. I always assumed that was because it was so poor compared to silver and black.

How strange that some people think it's so good and I was under the impression that it was the devil of marker pens.

Haha! I always panic when they reach for the gold and request that they don't use it. That doesn't happen very often though because they rarely have gold pen. I always assumed that was because it was so poor compared to silver and black.

I was told once that they don't make the gold pens used at the events anymore. Maybe they stopped making them because of too many complaints. I tried finding gold Sharpies in the US and that proved impossible too.

But then again gold should be pretty close to silver, right? ;)

Someone mentioned very early on in this thread that they use Ultra pages (with a hologram). I use these too and have done since CM1 (2001 ish?) and have auto's signed in various pens (gold, silver and one even in pink pen!).

I have had absolutely no problem with these pages at all. I also use them for my trading cards (the 9 pocket pages version). Oh by the way, the best place to get them is at Collectormania! :P

Edited by Puddle Jumper