Bringing a weapon (Bat'leth) to be signed?

Christoff

I'm thinking of bringing along a Bat'leth to get signed by the Klingon guests, but have some questions.

Firstly, would I actually be allowed to take it into the venue?

If I am allowed to take it in, it'd be in a big cardboard box. When it comes to signing, would I take it out of the box myself, or would a crew member have to deal with it (for safety reasons so I don't scare or attack anyone, not that I would :headscratch:)?

Also, it's a metal Bat'leth, Stainless Steel I think. Does anyone know if the pens that the guests use will be able to write on it properly (and obviously for the signature to last and not smudge)?

I was wondering when this would come up for the first time. :headscratch:

I remember the rules were pretty strict for swords. Attendees were asked to have the sheath signed if possible and not bring the actual sword. And if you brought it (this was mainly an Eclipse thing, so hotel event) you were asked to bring it back to the room immediately after the signing.

I was wondering when this would come up for the first time. :D

I remember the rules were pretty strict for swords. Attendees were asked to have the sheath signed if possible and not bring the actual sword. And if you brought it (this was mainly an Eclipse thing, so hotel event) you were asked to bring it back to the room immediately after the signing.

Well the only thing I have to bring it in is the cardboard box it was delivered to me in, and I'm not going to get that signed lol. I don't have a problem with taking it back to my hotel straight after signing, as I don't plan on carrying it around with me all day anyway.

So, does anyone know if I will actually be allowed to take it into the event?

And if I can, if anyone has experience of getting metal/steel objects signed, will the pens that the guests have be good enough?

I don't want to bring it only to find I'm either not allowed in with it, or that the signatures won't last.

Thanks, hopefully I can find out in time to actually buy one if I need to. I tried googling but all it came up with was pens made out of stainless steel :lol:

Hi i will also be bringing a batleth to be signed, i have a heroes sword i got signed a while ago and that was with a normal sharpie and the signiature is still the same as it was when it was signed. I think a normal black sharpie would be fine.

The best thing to do is to keep it in it's box, and let a crew member know that you have it and they will be able to help.

I know one brand in Germany that does the trick, but we tried before and it wasn't available in the UK.

Can you tell me the name? I might be able to find it on Amazon or something, and hope it can be delivered in time.

Hi i will also be bringing a batleth to be signed, i have a heroes sword i got signed a while ago and that was with a normal sharpie and the signiature is still the same as it was when it was signed. I think a normal black sharpie would be fine.

The best thing to do is to keep it in it's box, and let a crew member know that you have it and they will be able to help.

Thanks, that's what I was planning on doing. How long ago was it you get the sword signed?

Normally if you warn a member of crew what is in your big cardboard box, we will deal with it for you. Depending on the guest and also any other guests also sitting nearby the security guys tend to come over and be on hand when they are being done.

In the past, when people have approached my guests with them, we've had the sword/axe whatever it may be brought up the queue by the crew and left behind the desk.. it's then brought out onto the table when you get there and signed in front of you and returned to you.

Black sharpies work fine on swords and axes... never done a Batleth.

hth

Can you tell me the name? I might be able to find it on Amazon or something, and hope it can be delivered in time.

Sorry this took so long, I had to find the pen again and it was hiding in a very odd place. The brand is Staedtler Lumicolor.

Edited by Queen_Sindel

I would not recommend using the cardboard box long term. The batleth will cut its way free. I would recommend carrying the Batleth arround in a gun case. You can get them cheap on ebay and if it is good enough to carry guns around in, I am sure it would be suitable to carry a blade in. Obviously, remove any shooting stickers first.

Edited by House of K'Bragh

I do have an official response to that question now:

You can take it into the event, but it needs to be completely wrapped. If possible only the bit to be signed is to be showing.

Please do not go around with a metal Bat'leth that is not fully covered under any circumstances.

Edited by Queen_Sindel

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I do have an official response to that question now:

You can take it into the event, but it needs to be completely wrapped. If possible only the bit to be signed is to be showing.

Please do not go around with a metal Bat'leth that is not fully covered under any circumstances.

I phoned Showmasters yesterday and they said pretty much the same as madmonster*. They said that it'd be fine to take it as long as I kept it in the box until it gets signed, and that when I get to the queue I should inform the crew members so they can deal with it how they see fit.

Also, the pointy ends (which aren't really very sharp anyway) will have plastic covers taped over them.

What I posted was what TooTall said when I asked about it. He owns a Bat'leth too and the one he has is nothing I would walk around with uncovered. If yours doesn't have that sharp edges maybe there's two models?

But I guess you could define "cardboard box" as wrapped, in a way. :smile:

Well, it's still quite sharp, but certainly not as sharp as it could be, and as I said the pointy ends will be covered when it's out of the box anyway :smile: