Lost - 'The End' - Finale Discussion

DavidB

You spend 6 years watching a show like this to be involved with the characters and their actions. So by the end, if the writers have done a good job, then the main resolutions should be with the characters.

The Jack/Locke epic cliff battle for example - it had built towards that for years. Yes, maybe it wasn't exactly Locke, but the image was superb, and I'd rather have that than "oh, Walt was special because .." any day.

I care more about relationships like Sun/Jin, or Ben's development as a person, or Jack accepting destiny than any science behind whatever may have happened on or off that island. Our attention should go towards the fantastic acting and the emotional resolution rather than worrying about 'fact' in a 'fictional' world.

So many of the mysteries surrounding the characters just didn't matter in the end.

So what youre in effect saying is that none of the unanswered questions matter as its all about the journey. In that case why pose so much unanswered, stick them on the island and let it be like big brother, finish it inside 2 seasons and thats that.

I really don't see how anyone could think that the last episode could possibly explain EVERYTHING thats ever been asked in the show.

Exactly the point. They set a load of questions in season 1-3, then rather than resolving anything then kept posing more and more questions. I wasnt expecting to have everything answered in one episode, they could however have answered stuff as the journey as it were went on.

Theres absolutely no reason why they couldnt have rounded off the characters arcs as you guys enjoyed and answered some of the mysteries at the same time. For me it just smacks of, make it up yourself cause you get nothing from us. This was what was disappointing to me. I have no problem with the character development, well except for that massive copout of an ending anyway.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

So what youre in effect saying is that none of the unanswered questions matter as its all about the journey. In that case why pose so much unanswered, stick them on the island and let it be like big brother, finish it inside 2 seasons and thats that.

Because, quite obviously, the characters need to be within a story. They need to be pushed and developed through changing circumstances etc. Everything was in the show for a reason, and helped to drive them to where they ended up. That's the important thing, rather than worrying about the exact science of it all.

I don't really see how many of the answers people are looking for would have enhanced the show whatsoever. In the grand scheme of things, they really had no significance beyond being part of the world they inhabited.

Theres absolutely no reason why they couldnt have rounded off the characters arcs as you guys enjoyed and answered some of the mysteries at the same time. For me it just smacks of, make it up yourself cause you get nothing from us. This was what was disappointing to me. I have no problem with the character development, well except for that massive copout of an ending anyway.

I don't see how it was a copout. If they had gone the alt-universe route, and not explained that, then people would've moaned about that too.

The show itself was about science/faith right from the beginning. It was an ending that made complete sense in context.

Lets agree to disagree :whistling:

I for one am doing the following -

LOST

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats me drawing a line under it as doing my head in over it does nothing for anyone.

Onto the next big thing now, well it will be after i get over the annoyance of Flash Forwards finale and cancellation next week

Well i'd like to sum in up in that for me, there won't be another big thing. To me Lost is the best show that's been created in my lifetime and I don't believe i'll enjoy another show as much. My workmates who I've been spending most of the morning chatting to about it are feeling exactly the same.

The show may not have been perfect but I think it's the closest thing to it that a show has ever been

• Moderators

Where's the fun in agreeing to disagree? Half the fun of the show has always been the discussions :whistling:

I have to agree with Alan - I don't think anything will ever come close to Lost for me. It was a perfect mix of so many different things that I'm not sure it can ever be replicated. In fact, with this and 24 ending, I think that brings a close to an era of television that we'll have to move on from.

Other shows will come and go, but I can't see myself invested in anything in the way I have been with this. The characters, the storyline, the fanbase, the music .. everything.

The ending was great, simply great. Getting answers has never really been my biggest hope for the show , but seeing the final place/resolution to the characters I love was. I have to agree with JacknDaniel in that this is the closest a program will ever get to perfection. Sure there are some questions I would have rather they'd answered (Walt being the main one for me) but I made with peace with the fact they weren't coming around the beginning of Season 5.

There weren't as many deaths as I thought there would be, I thought there would be at least 2 or 3, with one of them being Benjamin. Glad I was wrong though!

"You're not John Locke. You disrespect his memory by wearing his face."

I have never been dedicated to a show so it surprised me that I stuck with Lost - Even my kids struggle to get me out of bed at 5am yet yesterday there I was bright as a button.

I think it worked - it went full circle and anyone expecting answers to everything was always going to be disappointed. Glad the island wasn't purgatory - that would've killed it completely.

can still see scope for a movie though!

I thought the ending to the show was nicely done, and I don't really care that a lot of questions weren't answered.

The only thing that I didn't like, and this is a personal thing, nothing to do with the plot at all really, was that I spent six years waiting for Kate to die in the most painful manner possible, only for it not to happen. Oh, and that Miles wasn't in the church at the end.

Agreed discussion is good but we'd just go round and round in circles, you guys have your opinion of it, i have mine, to discuss is best over a pint or three in the pub as you get the real emotion of someones feelings.

There weren't as many deaths as I thought there would be, I thought there would be at least 2 or 3, with one of them being Benjamin. Glad I was wrong though!

They all died isnt that enough......and yes i know what was meant im playing devils advocate :P

And im gonna quote this thread to you guys in a couple of years when youve forgotten Lost and something else is making you drool in anticiaption of the next episode :D

As for a movie.......noooooooooooooooooo, enough already ;)

Lost set the bar for genre TV - it was simply the most ingenious, most involving and, at times, most infuriating show ever aired. I loved the premise and the cast from day one, but as time went on I became more and more in awe of its imagination and its sheer audacity, particularly in this last season (the espiode which features Richard's past and was mostly subtitled, the Jacob and his brother episode with none of the regular cast featured - both really brave shows). Lost took so many chances in its six seasons - for me it challenged everything that TV shows are supposed to be.

There are other TV shows I am probably fonder of, but other than maybe West Wing, I don't think any of them came as close to perfection as Lost did.

I will really miss Lost. I don't think we will see anything that cool on TV again for a very long time.

You're quite welcome to quote this thread to me in decades to come if you like. I'm not a fan of a lot of shows that people see as the 'current big thing' but Lost has always had exactly what I love in a show, and I KNOW that I won't like anything quite like it again. Much as I do like some new things like Warehouse 13, it just doesnt hold a candle to something like Lost

And I will agree that the one disappointing thing about the finale was Kate NOT dying in a brutally horrific way! I never thought they would kill her but it didn't stop me from praying they woud!

I will really miss Lost. I don't think we will see anything that cool on TV again for a very long time.

...and it should DEFINITELY be more represented at conventions/signing events!!

Edited by JacknDaniel

the one disappointing thing about the finale was Kate NOT dying in a brutally horrific way! I never thought they would kill her but it didn't stop me from praying they woud

See we do have some common ground :D

Putting our difference on the show aside i was wondering what you guys thought was represnted by Jacob? Was he like God showing people the way to their destiny etc? Am interested to hear what you all think.

Good to see that I'm not alone in wishing Kate would die!

I would presume that Jacob was supposed to be some God like character but try to put aside the religious conitations as it makes my head hurt!

I liked the part when they were sat around the fire last week and Jacob had to tell them that their lives were rubbish before they got to the island you could almost see the rose tinted glasses of "what if this never happened" falling off.

I think the thing about Jacob was that he was a very flawed individual. Half of his dialogue was saying 'i'm sorry' to everyone!

I think he must have just looked and analysed people, hence his choosing of who to bring to the island(which really doesn't make him wholly a 'good' person) I liked Across the Sea because basically it shows that he wasn't a god, he was just a normal person, given a job he didn't particularly want, and he seemed to spend most of his time searching for someone to replace him. I'd say that drinking the water seems to link whoever drinks it to the island somehow, perhaps gives them knowledge.

I liked the scene in the finale with Ben saying to Hurley that he could run things better because Jacob's way of doing things basically wasn't a good way of doing things!

I thought Matthew Fox was so amazing in this episode and Jorge Garcia also was excellent.

I must admit when it ended I was confused about WHEN they had all died but after thinking about it realised the island world was real. Things like the Oceanic 6 escaping/Widmore leaving and having Penny with a non-islander prove this.

I've never been so emotional about a show before and the Vincent scene just killed me!

The mythology doesn't seem to matter anymore as it just is what it is and there is no explaining some things - like the Big Bang sort of thing, where do the questions end? I thought there were some surprising choices in the episode - like Kate killing Flocke and then escaping the island. I thought the MIB's story was terribly sad though as I feel he wasn't evil but a victim of circumstance - but his death was necessary.

I keep thinking now of MIB's line to Jacob in Across the sea: "what are you gonna do when she dies?" as like an end of LOST analogy!

Greatest show of my life :D

Edited by cyberem78

From what i'd understood he grew as a normal human to the Mark Pellegrino age, and once he had drank from the bottle that his 'Mother' gave him, it made him ageless, and also gave him knowledge or power, hence how he was able to give the same gift to Richard.

Certainly as childrent she tells them that shes made them unable to kill each other, is this a byproduct of the water? If so then how can firstly Jacob kill his brother and then Jackob kill Flocke with help from Kate of course.

Also the question of does the water need blessing first as if so then Jackob is defrauding Hacob :lol:

Glad I sat and watched it on my own.

Blubbed like a baby through most of it.

Loved everything about it, thought it was a brilliant ending

Yes, I agree with whoever said it was nice Ben was included with the others but preferred to stay outside, but was smiling

Loved Kate and Jacks ending, well, everybodies actually,

Charlie......omg, it was all so awesome

Gonna start blubbing again if I'm not careful! :lol:

I'm pretty sure he drank it when older. His 'Mother' wanted MIB to be the one who protected the island, but after she went to see him and stopped him by knocking him out, she went back and realised it'd have to be Jacob that protected the Island, so she had him drink the water and take the job. Unless i'm remembering incorrectly

Certainly as childrent she tells them that shes made them unable to kill each other, is this a byproduct of the water? If so then how can firstly Jacob kill his brother and then Jackob kill Flocke with help from Kate of course.

Also the question of does the water need blessing first as if so then Jackob is defrauding Hacob :lol:

I may be wrong, but I thought the way the Mother said it was along the lines of 'I've made it so you can't hurt each other' which could be interpreted in any way, in that they're not ALLOWED to hurt each other, or they physically cant hurt each other. But then it obviously gets a little confusing as Jacob throws MIB into the light which kills his body, but not his 'soul' and MIB is able to kill Jacob via someone else. It's all really down to the interpretation of what the Rules are, which are left quite loose

And Jack was able to kill MIB because the MIB was linked to the heart of the Island(that caused him to become what he was) and when Desmond turned that off, he was no longer linked and became human again) so he was able to be killed

Edited by JacknDaniel

i think i fall between the views of davidb and jakeblue

i thought it was an ok set of episodes, didnt do anything that was crap or stupid and had some good emotional scenes and character development BUT as a finale of a show packed with shocks, twists, WTF is going on moments this finale was void of any of that, my thoughts straight after was humm is that it? glad I didnt go out of my way to watch it live. i think also as they had what 2 or 3 years head start to write a finale by announcing when it was to end and this was a bit of a easy safe finale, which u might come to expect from shows with so many twists ect and them finding it hard to go a decent finale but they gave them selfs 3 years to build upto a finale so yer bit disappointed. but at least it wasnt s**t and had some good character bits. though massive shame about the similarities of this and a2a

at least 24 wont end in some sorta dream, death, heaven ect, we know thats all real ;-) though im worried about being disappointed in that also, I want to see jack go out all guns blazing as it where, i wanna see him attack a wharehouse on his jays to rescue his kid taking everyone out on his own ala series 1, im worried this also will be a low key safe finale. especially with a movie in the works but time will tell, watching it online in a minute.

maybe i just want more spectacle or at least surprise in my finales, like everybody dies in blakes seven, now that finale scene was a superb way to send of a tv series, i guess its hard to end tv shows where most are happy, i bet some on here hate the end to blakes 7. cant please everyone. but yer loved lost but wanted more form the finale