Latest Guest Announcement: EDGAR MITCHELL

showmasters

Fantastic guest - can't wait to meet Dr.Mitchell! :wub:

He's the only remaining crew member from Apollo 14 so glad to see him coming over & is apparently a very smart man too.. :WINCE:

Smart isn't the word, he's frighteningly intelligent! The book he was reading during breaks the last time he attended I couldn't even understand the title lol!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Met Dr Mitchell last week, he comes over as a very pleasent gentlemen...

I asked him about his Omega Speedmaster - one source I read said the crystal of his watch popped out as he climbed down the LM ladder - I asked him about this and he said it was news to him! and that nothing of the kind happened to his watch and that it was ok. I would add he is a little bit deaf and so if you have a strong accent try and speak clearly, am from Yorkshire and I don't think he had a clue when my crowd and I spoke :D

I think you'll like to meet him and some how you will enjoy his talk...

Regards all

von Dawson's Express

He came over very well on "In the Shadow of the Moon", I know it's not easy to tell from a TV interview but he sounded very humble about his achievments and seemed to appreciate the 'magic' of the thing.

Very much looking forward to meeting him at the show.

He came over very well on "In the Shadow of the Moon", I know it's not easy to tell from a TV interview but he sounded very humble about his achievments and seemed to appreciate the 'magic' of the thing.

Very much looking forward to meeting him at the show.

Have you not met him before, Count?

• 2 weeks later...

No, none of the 'oofo' balloony was mentioned...

He broke up his lecture in to mainly two large chunks, his life before A14 and Apollo 14. He did mention that he lived in Roswell but did not mention any Ally-anns or OOfo's, in fact he gave a - how can I say this - a funny little smile when he mentioned Roswell.

The interesting stuff was his degree's and college course's and his Navy career. He also talked warmly about Alan Shepard and Stu Roosa.

Been a urban spaceman I would say I was nickpicy when he shewed Apollo 9's LM and Saturn F-500 and he claimed they were Apollo 14, but hey, we are all allowed a error or two!

I like the man, in fact he's gone up in my ratings

Regards all

von Dawsons Express

Did anyone at Pontefract ask him about Roswell? Following his astonishing 'Karang' broadcast, you'd have to imagine he might be prepared to talk about the UFO thing at A16....

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Hello everyone

Just to let you all know, i spoke with Ed a few days ago. He is very much onboard and will do a lecture and photoshoot. Be warned though this years lecture area is much smaller than Birmingham and we will only be able to offer limited seating. So as soon as you see these lectures advertised grab em. All lectures will now be available on the website direct from us.

Dave Phillips

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Looking forward to my first Autographica event and meeting Edgar Mitchell, Gen Tom Stafford and Al Worden for the first time.

I’ve been on a bit of a quest for the last couple of years to meet in person as many of the remaining Apollo crew that I can. After a lot of travelling around I’ve managed to meet the following in person:

Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, Alan Bean, Michael Collins, Gene Cernan and Jim Lovell.

Also in the next few months I’ll be meeting Charlie Duke, Scott Carpenter, Walt Cunningham, Fred Haise and Dave Scott.

I’ll also be in Florida to see the last two remaining Shuttle launches.

Discovery STS-133 (Nov 2010) and Endeavour STS-134 (Feb 2011).

Would be great to meet up with any like minded Apollo/NASA followers on the day.

Bye for now.

Jamie (UK)

Edited by Dave Phillips

Hi all,

Looking forward to my first Autographica event and meeting Edgar Mitchell, Gen Tom Stafford and Al Worden for the first time.

I’ve been on a bit of a quest for the last couple of years to meet in person as many of the remaining Apollo crew that I can. After a lot of travelling around I’ve managed to meet the following in person:

Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, Alan Bean, Michael Collins, Gene Cernan and Jim Lovell.

Also in the next few months I’ll be meeting Charlie Duke, Scott Carpenter, Walt Cunningham, Fred Haise and Dave Scott.

Would be great to meet up with any like minded Apollo/NASA followers on the day.

Bye for now.

Jamie (UK)

wow lucky u, how did you get to meet neil?

wish I had that kind of cash to go to all those, nice one though

Hi,

I was lucky enough to attend the Foundation for Science and Technology lecture held at the Royal Society on the 12th March earlier this year.

Neil gave a wonderful speech and talked about the moon landings and his sadness at NASA delaying the return to the moon and the constellation project.

Both Jim Lovell and Gene Cernan also had lots to say and together made for an amazing talk.

They all thought back then that they would be putting a man on mars within 10 years of the first Apollo missions such was the pace of development and quest for space exploration back then. I really wish I had been around back in those days and would trade everything to have seen a Saturn V launch in person.

At the end of the lecture before they left I had the chance to say thank you to Neil, Jim and Gene for doing this and how much it meant to all of us. I shook Neil’s hand as he left and that was my day over. As this was a private event there was no official signing but a few people including myself asked Neil if he would mind signing a photo. Expecting him to decline I was surprised when he said ok.

I know this is extremely rare and I count myself very lucky indeed.

Right place right time, I guess.

Getting to meet them was a childhood dream for me and it’s an experience I will never forget that’s for sure.

Jamie

Hello Steve

Exactly what would you like me to reply to ?

Dave Phillips

Dave

Several posts on the site refer to having more Cosmonauts attending Autographica but this seems not to be responded to by the organisers, also it would be nice to see some more new astronauts or flight directors as I've been fortunate enough over the last few years to meet Buzz Aldrin, Vance Brand,Scott Carpenter,Dave Carr, Gene Cernan, Charlie Duke,Dick Gordon,Hank Hartsfield,Sy Lieberger ,Jack Lousma,Jim Lovell,Jim Mcdivitt,Rusty Schweickart, Dave Scott ,Helen Sharman. Tom Stafford, Charles Walker and Al Worden and would love to meet more.

Regards

Steve

Edited by abitmax

Hi all,

Bye for now.

Jamie (UK)

Jamie

are you staying at the Thistle? Could arrange a meet and perhaps a beer or 2. I've been fortunate enough over the last few years to meet Buzz Aldrin, Vance Brand,Scott Carpenter,Dave Carr, Gene Cernan, Charlie Duke,Dick Gordon,Hank Hartsfield,Sy Lieberger ,Jack Lousma,Jim Lovell,Jim Mcdivitt,Rusty Schweickart, Dave Scott ,Helen Sharman. Tom Stafford, Charles Walker and Al Worden.

Regards

Steve

.....At the end of the lecture before they left I had the chance to say thank you to Neil, Jim and Gene for doing this and how much it meant to all of us. I shook Neil’s hand as he left and that was my day over. As this was a private event there was no official signing but a few people including myself asked Neil if he would mind signing a photo. Expecting him to decline I was surprised when he said ok.

I know this is extremely rare and I count myself very lucky indeed.

Right place right time, I guess.

Getting to meet them was a childhood dream for me and it’s an experience I will never forget that’s for sure.

Jamie

I guess you were surprised to get his signature. Did you have some influence. given that his reply to Nancy Pelosi, Speaker of the House of Representatives was 'I don't do that anymore'. She apparently ask for an autograph for her grandson.

I am sure a lot of us would like to see what his signature looks like these days. Would you be willing to post it here and share it?