Guest cancellation - Tom Wopat

showmasters

So...explanation please.

You announced Tom as a guest on November 3rd 2009, then somebody asked you about the fact Tom was scheduled to do Broadway from April until June 13th. They also posted the link.

Having now checked the dates on the link article, Tom was contracted for the show by December 9th 2009 ,at the latest.

Having now checked it out, the show began previews on March 19th and opened April 22nd.

This has given you TWO MONTHS to let us know he wasn't going to be here.

So what's going on here ????????????????????????????????? :angry:

Erm, the fact that SM dont know a guest cant go untill THE GUEST tells them?

Maybe Tom's agent totally forgot about MK and only now realised, or they just didnt think it was that important to tell SM until now.

Or he wasnt sure if he was going to be totally booked up by the show, and thought he could make it over here for one weekend, but then the dates didnt work.

The basic thing here is: Showmasters are totally reliant on a guest or their agent informing them that they cant make it. They cant just assume that a guest is/isnt coming because of other work.

All comes down to the agent/guest being in contact.

Although I can see your point, I do believe SM should have at least checked on the matter.

I don't know of any professional outfit that wouldn't follow up a link like that.

To have booked Tom in the first place, they must have contacted his manager/agent. Is it too much to think they could call or e-mail to check this out ??

Well, they don't need to be psychic when someone tells them about it and also posts the link.

That's my point...they DID know ( or would have ) ...if they'd bothered to check it out.

I just think it should have been checked on....or kept an eye on.

Sorry if my opinion upsets anyone but I personally would have checked on it if I was advertising a guest with a known conflicting date.

Especially as this happened last time he was advertised, and we had no explanation for that one !!

It's just very annoying. :angry:

No ones upset, and you points are all valid :angry:

Just SM have a lot of events with lots of guests at each. Far too many to keep track of said guests other work commitments. They kinda have to rely of the guests informing them that they cant do an event for whatever reasons.

SM would like to know sooner than later too. Luckily I dont think anyone has ever just not shown up and not told SM at all.

Well, they don't need to be psychic when someone tells them about it and also posts the link.

That's my point...they DID know ( or would have ) ...if they'd bothered to check it out.

Sorry if my opinion upsets anyone but I personally would have checked on it if I was advertising a guest with a known conflicting date.

Especially as this happened last time he was advertised, and we had no explanation for that one !!

It's just very annoying. :(

No offence intended, and I am not dis/agreeing with your comments, but can I just point out you are assuming that SM didn't check....it is quite possible that they did and were told that, at that point in time, Tom would be able to attend. Which would mean that it's only now that something has changed and thus forced the cancellation.

We will probably never know though :angry:

I'm disappointed yes, as I had planned to meet Tom at C16, but it's not the end of the world, things can happen affecting things like this.

You've got to remember that our hobby is a fluid one, and guests can be cancelled and announced at the drop of a hat.

Though in saying that SM, any chance of Tom at one of the many ( :P ) events later in the year ? Most other guests that have cancelled C16 have been announced for another one, so please make this happen with Tom.

• Showmasters Admin

It's just very annoying. :P

hi Dukegirl01 i can see you are disappointed as we are , but we do not listen to anyone other then the agent or the guest them selves , and in the past this has been the right thing to do , as lots of times guest plan things and then change there minds and this has in the past worked for us and agenst us , so till we are told by the guest or agent its still happening .

in the past we were told that soem of our big names are not attending when in fact they very much were .

anyway sorry you have been disappointed by this and we hope you will get to meet him at a future event

yours

jason

It's just very annoying. ;)

No offence intended, and I am not dis/agreeing with your comments, but can I just point out you are assuming that SM didn't check....it is quite possible that they did and were told that, at that point in time, Tom would be able to attend. Which would mean that it's only now that something has changed and thus forced the cancellation.

We will probably never know though :WINCE:

He was cast in December, the dates of the play were known far in advance. He's one of the main co-stars.

He'd need what, 4 performance days off to attend this convention. What production manager is going to be happy with that! :huh:

Only 'recently' did Tom know he wouldn't get the days off...sorry but I'm not buying that one :lol:

He was cast in December, the dates of the play were known far in advance. He's one of the main co-stars.

He'd need what, 4 performance days off to attend this convention. What production manager is going to be happy with that! :firedevil:

Only 'recently' did Tom know he wouldn't get the days off...sorry but I'm not buying that one :lol:

Why is it always SMs fault? No-one stopped Wopat coming forward and saying "sorry guys, I can't make it". No-one stopped his agent doing the same thing. Why exactly is it always SMs responsibility to **** about watching an actors schedule on the offchance that they might get a part in a play?? Jason is not Wopats secretary.

Sorry, but Wopat knew about it way in advance, and he couldn't be bothered to actually cancel with SM - simple as that. And yes he IS a serial canceller.

This isn't SMs fault, so let's stop desperately trying to spin it like it is - OK?

No, but it's SMs responsibility to prove accurate information, upon which we spend considerable sums on travel, accommodation etc. It's also a very common courtesy to respond when customers REPEATEDLY voice concerns about the accuracy of information. Several mods on here edit, delete and chastise posts with minutes, so it's not as if people don't see stuff that's posted !

If mods are able to report back to SM on forum behaviour (which they absolutely do), surely stuff like this can be brought to their attention too ? I posted in Wopat's announcement thread THREE MONTHS ago !!!

in the past we were told that soem of our big names are not attending when in fact they very much were

This. If SM followed up every fan-post about a star's plans and gigs and potential clashes they wouldnt have time to get any more guests.

And as Jason's quote says, sometimes the info isnt even acurate as a fan may have got dates mixed up or, you know, the fact that despite info getting online, no one knows exactly what a guest will be doing on any dates except the guest themselves.

Ah yes, that appendix to the King James Bible - the gospel according to Showmasters .....

Time and time again, these cancellations happen with days to go, whilst the fans have known for MONTHS that a guest has other committments *cough* Robert Picardo *cough*. But hey, I'll just source my items for signing, pay for flight, trains and hotels based on what filters down from on high.

Now get your lips off SMs backside long enough to get that we disagree on this.

Edited by dufresne

He'd need what, 4 performance days off to attend this convention. What production manager is going to be happy with that! :firedevil:

Why is it always SMs fault? No-one stopped Wopat coming forward and saying "sorry guys, I can't make it". No-one stopped his agent doing the same thing. Why exactly is it always SMs responsibility to **** about watching an actors schedule on the offchance that they might get a part in a play?? Jason is not Wopats secretary.

Sorry, but Wopat knew about it way in advance, and he couldn't be bothered to actually cancel with SM - simple as that. And yes he IS a serial canceller.

This isn't SMs fault, so let's stop desperately trying to spin it like it is - OK?

If sm didn't know he was cast or on contacting him months ago found out that he might still manage then that is fair enough...but if I were booking guests and found out information like this, I'd maybe be just a tiny bit proactive and take 10 minutes to call Wopat and ask him if he could still make it.

This isn't hearsay about potential tv/film schedules that none of us know about, it's a broadway production with confirmed schedules known in advance.

This is extremely poor behaviour on behalf of SM and perhaps they need to reconsider the booking arrangements for the signers to ensure that a more professional level is achieved. This isn't the first instance of a guest being announced for an event - when they have been publically advertised as having a professional engagement elsewhere. One actress was advertised for a signing appearance on the same day that they were performing in a matinee and evening performance in the West End. They were still billed as appearing - even on the day itself. When I asked someone about this - I was informed by a senior organiser that they were told that "she might come". As you can imagine, there was no sign of her. Extremely disappointing.

As far as I am concerned signers and their agents need to be made aware that should be committed to appearing at an advertised event and information about any changes being conducted promptly. Far too many signers seem to have a "I'll come if I feel like it attitude...." which is extremely disappointing for everyone.

Edited by steviegr

• Moderators

While Jason may come on here and put an end to this discussion eventually, I'm happy to let it go as long as people keep it at a reasonable level.

Please don't resort to the usual 'SM ass kissing' comments, as there's no need for it. Some people know better.

Imagine you're an actor. You keep a calendar. You're booked in for something on April 7th or whatever for company X, and something better suddenly comes along from company Y.

Whos responsibility is it exactly to inform company X that you're not going to make it? Is it company X's responsibility to keep ringing you up, saying "I've heard you're not going to make it, is that true?" or "Is it true you're doing a washing powder advert that weekend?" or "You're scheduled to play Fagin in Oliver that weekend, so are you still coming??", or "Make sure you keep up those flu jabs!"

Or do you call up company X (or have your agent do so), and say "sorry guys, I'm not going to be able to make it, how about next time?". Simples, right?

We have this every time. I'm not saying SM are entirely blameless in this. But I don't see why it's so hard to ring up and say "sorry guys, I've had a better offer".

Edited by MikeDonovan