Lost Season 6 - Episode 15

Lambourne

Lostfinalseasonverticalposter.jpg

EPISODE 15

Across The Sea

Notes:

No pre-airing spoilers.

Once the episode has aired in the US then all discussion about the episode is fine.

Also no discussion of any 'next time on..' parts please, as many people don't watch them.

Anyone know where DavidB has gone? On holiday? We need you! YOU HAVE TO COME BACK!

At first I was a little underwhelmed with this episode, but it definitely needs time to sink in and absorb it all and then re-watch. Some great answers (although many of course lead to more questions, as Jacob and MIB's Mother said herself).

We know who Adam and Eve are. Either Jack is just terrible and post-mortem's or there's a plot hole in the fact that Jack said the bodies had only been there a few decades. We know how Smokey came to be and I'm hoping 'the light' will play a part in the finale! I was hoping for more on the lighthouse, the statue, the candidates and the rules and although I never thought the episode would go that far down the timeline, Jacob's relationship with Ilana.

Still a great episode that needs to be watched many, many times!

Edited by Lambourne

Absolutely fantastic episode in my opinion. If a litle longer, it could easily have been the finale. Also was perfect to have a bit of a spin off episode after last weeks to give a bit more time for the deaths to sink in. I love seeing more of Jacob and the Man in Black and seeing their origins is something I always wanted to see, as well as the origin of the Monster. Classic ep

ok timeline question!

In an older episode didn't we see Jacob talking to Richard and then Richard talking to MIB? So are we to believe that all happened in the middle of all this.............Jacob seemed so know it all with the bottle and stopper and evil etc and yet he still seemed innocent in this one when MIB died.

My only other idea could be that smoky invades the body again.

Snag on that theory is that if that happened then the body wouldn't be there for Jack to find.

Other than things like that really annoying me I enjoyed this ep but did spend a bit of time wondering where it was going. Certainly didn't expect a whole ep of it... now I want to know more about Jacob's plan of the island and how it grew. Spinoff called JACOB anyone? :poki:

ok timeline question!

In an older episode didn't we see Jacob talking to Richard and then Richard talking to MIB? So are we to believe that all happened in the middle of all this.............Jacob seemed so know it all with the bottle and stopper and evil etc and yet he still seemed innocent in this one when MIB died.

My only other idea could be that smoky invades the body again.

Snag on that theory is that if that happened then the body wouldn't be there for Jack to find.

Other than things like that really annoying me I enjoyed this ep but did spend a bit of time wondering where it was going. Certainly didn't expect a whole ep of it... now I want to know more about Jacob's plan of the island and how it grew. Spinoff called JACOB anyone? :poki:

The Smoke Monster is MIB. Jacob threw MIB into the light, causing MIB's soul (or spirit, essence etc. whatever you want to call it) to leave his body and become the smoke monster. "Something worse than death" as Mother put it. So MIB left his body, which is what is left in the caves and lives on in the Smoke Monster. Everything with Richard, Jacob and MIB in 'Ab Aeterno' and the beginning of 'The Incident' happens roughly 1800 years after the events of this episode. When we see MIB in these episodes it is essentially MIB as Smoke Monster taking on the form of himself. Does that help LOL?

I was abit dissapointed this week. I think this episode would have been amazing 4/5 week ago, this close to the finale I feel like it opened my questions than it answered. Was intesting to learn the back story of Jacob MIB (wonder if he ever got given a name?)

Did they talk funny in anyone else's version btw? they all seemed to talk in slow-mo on my download this week :-/

ooh and DavidB is in Florida according to twitter :)

..... which, of course has no internet :WINCE:

So frustrated with MIB having no name. MIB and The Janney called Jacob by name three times in every sentence, but MIB was just "he" or "your brother". :D If he gets a name, it will be significant I reckon.

And weren't the kids PERFECTLY cast ? Decent enough actors for their age, but unusually for telly, you could actually see their grown up selves in the kid's faces .....

I had a suspicion this episode wasn't going to include any principals, especially given the title of next week's episode .....

Edited by dufresne

Absolutely hated this episode.

The light tunnel was crap

Smocke was fitting a wheel to turn light, firstly this makes no sense and secondly how did he ever work this out? The wheel is later fitted so why didn't Smocke just turn it then to leave.

The 'mother' made the kids immortal, yet they still grew to be adults, how does that work.

The light goes out the world ends....save the cheerleader save the world huh, oh yeah different show

The 'mother' gave no indication of how long she'd been there, or that she had been looking for a replacement, the kids just landed on her lap. However Jacob has made a big deal about finding his replacement, no reason for this was given.

Smocke was going to leave without killing anyone so now why does he have to get rid of everyone, just turn the bloody wheel.

I was worried they'd ruin lost and with three episodes left I'm not feeling confident it'll turn out well.

Absolutely hated this episode.

The light tunnel was crap

Smocke was fitting a wheel to turn light, firstly this makes no sense and secondly how did he ever work this out? The wheel is later fitted so why didn't Smocke just turn it then to leave.

Why question the 'sense' of the light? Did time travel make sense? Does the smoke monster make sense? Does the whisper make sense? No. You have to accept that things just are without a scientific reason. It would be crap if they drained the show dry with the 'how's' because it's unexplainable. I know saying 'he just knew' about the wheel is a weak answer but really, he just knew. And as for not turning the wheel... he can't leave the island. That's the whole storyline of the last season. He wants to kill the Candidates after killing Jacob so he can leave. And when/if he kills them, it makes sense that is how he will leave.

The 'mother' made the kids immortal, yet they still grew to be adults, how does that work.

Actually she didn't make them immortal. She made them not be able to kill each other. Later when she made Jacob her replacement was when Jacob became immortal and 'like her.' The Man in Black wasn't made immortal, he died, at least that body did. And the smoke (whether it's just smoke or it has the soul of MiB) takes on the form of dead MiB, meaning he wouldn't age.

The light goes out the world ends....save the cheerleader save the world huh, oh yeah different show

I'm sorry, didn't Heroes just get cancelled? Point made.

The 'mother' gave no indication of how long she'd been there, or that she had been looking for a replacement, the kids just landed on her lap. However Jacob has made a big deal about finding his replacement, no reason for this was given.

That isn't really relevant to the story we're watching now. The portion of the island's history we needed to know about was how Jacob was chosen. For all we know Mother wasn't even the first Protector. This quite possibly has been going on over and over. Infact I'm pretty sure it has. Would you want to know about all of them? It'd get a bit out of control. They covered the history we needed to understand.

Smocke was going to leave without killing anyone so now why does he have to get rid of everyone, just turn the bloody wheel.

He was going to leave because he was just a normal human and could leave. Mother physically stopped him. The smoke that got released has to stick by the rules because it came from the cave that Mother/Jacob was protecting. Remember the whole 'the island is a cork keeping the darkness in' talk? The smoke is that darkness. And it's either just a pillar of smoke and MiB getting chucked down there released it. Or it was able to leave the cave because MiB's soul transferred to it giving it 'life.' Regardless, it can't leave while Jacob and his candidates are alive.

I was worried they'd ruin lost and with three episodes left I'm not feeling confident it'll turn out well.

I think this is the only answer we'll ever get for the origins of the island. We'll never know how some things came to be, like where the mother came from, how she's immortal, how Jacob now is, still what exactly Smokey is, etc etc. But that's the same that Star Trek never really explains time travel. There needs to be some mystery and I think this is a good enough answer.

Ep overall was a bit meh until the last 10mins. Ok So there's this supernatural light that has strange powers and one protector who swaps to a candidate once the final candidate has been narrowed down. Mum passes power to Jacob, and the "others" (other people in this ep) are all bad as people would potentially harm the island.

MIB died and went into the light. Smokey was stuck down there and thought "ooh new soul, let's invade it" and he was born. The original MIB is deaded end of. The new Smokey is obv either his soul, or just the smoke monster using a dead guy's image as he's doing with Locke now. And btw, Locke technically went into the light too when he turned the wheel- maybe that's how Smokey chooses his look- he takes an imprint of whoever goes into the light. Like some sort of light parasite type thing.

In the sense of island origin answers, good enough for me. Now let's just get present day answered!!

Now let's just get present day answered!!

Couldn't agree more. Yes. I enjoyed this episode but wanted it 'over' so that we could get on with finding out how it's all going to end.

Credit to the writers for having the guts to dedicate a whole episode to this part of the story so close to the end, however with just over two hours of run time left (even less if you cut out credits and recaps) I'm getting seriously worried that things are going to be just too 'rushed'.

Dollhouse suffered in the same way when they tried to finish everything in two episodes when they knew that was being cancelled.

Why on earth couldn't the final season be 20 episodes long if they knew they still had loads to tell, certainly it's not something in the main casts contracts preventing that as we've already had two shows in this series when they haven't featured.

But lets see how it goes.

Avoiding spoilers :

This week's episode looks to be a right cameo-fest (according to IMDB at least). I hope they are all justified, and not just a series of pre-curtain bows from popular (or perceived popular) characters.

And the finale's a double episode I assume ?

Avoiding spoilers :

This week's episode looks to be a right cameo-fest (according to IMDB at least). I hope they are all justified, and not just a series of pre-curtain bows from popular (or perceived popular) characters.

And the finale's a double episode I assume ?

Two and a half hours of awesomeness! (Although without adverts it's closer to one hour and 35 minutes...)

• Moderators

Yes, Florida has internet, and also Lost before here .. but I didn't really get to do either! :huh:

Therefore I've just watched 14/15 back to back .. not sure if that was a good idea to be honest, as the awesomeness of episode 14 perhaps overshadowed this one, although I know a lot of people have had a slightly negative reaction to this.

I've not had the 'I need EXACT answers' view for a good few seasons now (mainly when they got into sci-fi territory good and proper) so I'm not as bothered by some things 'not making sense' as other people are. So I did enjoy it, and personally I thought the acting was fantastic from both the child actors and Mark/Titus.

Can't say I really felt a lot for the mother, as that was never really explained .. she was just sort of there, and that was that. After seeing such emotional depth with the deaths of Sun/Jin, it was hard to feel anything for a woman I had no connection with, nor really understood. However Titus' acting really hit home and painted his character in a far different light, which was a tough thing to do after his actions in the previous episode. And Jacob is clearly a reluctant protector who is fairly uncaring about the whole island thing and would be happy to give up that job.

But yes, as Lizzy said, in terms of history .. it was good enough for me, as we're never going to get the ENTIRE story. It's just impossible. I have no doubt that the last episodes will have the high quality and emotion that ep 14 had. There has never been a Lost finale that has let me down. They always surprise me like no other show has.

ive finally caught up, this ep was alright but a little dull and threw up more questions than answers. also after the amazing and emotional ep 14 a massive let down, I also watched them back to back.

just going back a bit, I really dont get whats happened to desmond after they blasted him in the hut.

or the zombie saiyd before he sacrificed himself that is.

dont get why or how they changed characteristics or motives so fast without reason?

ive finally caught up, this ep was alright but a little dull and threw up more questions than answers. also after the amazing and emotional ep 14 a massive let down, I also watched them back to back.

just going back a bit, I really dont get whats happened to desmond after they blasted him in the hut.

or the zombie saiyd before he sacrificed himself that is.

dont get why or how they changed characteristics or motives so fast without reason?

The reason for Sayid's behaviour is because of what happened to him at the beginning of the season, and obviously something happened to Desmond in the hut to make him act the way that he is acting now, my guess is that like last time he was exposed to electromagnetism, he saw the future, which is why he didn't seem worried about anything, he can probably see what's going to happen