Leslie Nielsen Talk Cancellation

Zagreus

I was first in the queue for Leslie Nielsen this morning and was told by one of the chaps helping out that the talk had been cancelled because he'd found yesterday's one physically tiring and because he had not had time to sign all of the autographs yesterday it was decided to devote all of his time today to this instead.

I was in the talk yesterday. He was visibly confused, found it very difficult to keep on track, and had a tendency to ramble for a while before (after about 30 seconds) completely forgetting what he was talking about.

Now some people have talked about diabetes, which makes some sense - maybe it's just getting old. But yesterday certainly wasn't comfortable for him, and I suspect that had a lot to do with the decision. In any case cancelling it would have been the right thing to do given the amount of people that were in danger of missing him. Even with it cancelled, some people missed out. I'd estimate he got through around 200 people for the entire weekend - maybe 220?

Again, it's no-one's fault - just one of those things.

Edited by MikeDonovan

Exactly. Lets wish him our best. He gave it everything he had.

And I agree about the probable reason for the talk cancellation, so that he could do as many autographs as he was able.

I was intending to go to the talk, then I saw it being crossed out on the posters, shortly followed by Tippi's Sun talk too which I'd hoped to see (not sure of the reason for Tippi's, I hope her Sat talk was good for anyone who attended).

But I was more than happy to have met Leslie at the photo shoot, and I'd met Tippi and had a good talk with her when she came to Autographica a few years ago.

Would like to have her back again and hopefully do another talk in the future.

Edited by spocks-brain

I think sometimes they might cancel the later talks if they haven't sold well, or doubt it will sell well, if they cancel at the start of the day. Leslie's would have been for the reasons mentioned earlier.

If I may ask, why do you have this impression?

I'll admit I've only attended Autographica once. So I may have missed something, especially regarding the space lectures.

But they don't normally have paid for actors' talks there, so I am not sure which talks would have been cancelled because they hadn't sold well?

Edited by Queen_Sindel

I think sometimes they might cancel the later talks if they haven't sold well, or doubt it will sell well, if they cancel at the start of the day. Leslie's would have been for the reasons mentioned earlier.

It wouldn't have been cancelled because of ticket sales. If that was the case, it would have been cancelled a week earlier. I expect that, after the admittedly uncomfortable experience of Saturday, Nielsen's people veto-ed the possibility of the talk the next day.

Economically, this would have been a blow. Looking at it purely from a monetary view the talk was probably more lucrative in terms of £ per minute than the signing was. Don't forget he only made it through 130 tickets on Saturday, and by all accounts around 75 on Sunday.

I just thought it was a shame that as Mickey Rourke was sat with him on Saturday morning that they didn't get him involved in the talk as well!

Who was the bald security guy doing his best Aaron Pierce impression? He had the curly earpiece and everything. I kept expecting him to talk into his watch, and say "we have Eagle One, repeat we have him".

Or maybe "all units converge on Eagle One - suspect is holding a Posiedon adventure onesheet. REPEAT ALL UNITS CONVERGE ON EAGLE ONE".

Or maybe he could just scream "CREEPSHOW!" and suddenly leap between Nielsen and the Creepshow DVD.

Who was the bald security guy doing his best Aaron Pierce impression? He had the curly earpiece and everything. I kept expecting him to talk into his watch, and say "we have Eagle One, repeat we have him".

He's one of our regulars - and does talk into his watch. :-) Lovely chap who's done a lot of events over the years so is well used to the Showmasters etc. crowds, and their behaviour.

I just thought it was a shame that as Mickey Rourke was sat with him on Saturday morning that they didn't get him involved in the talk as well!

What as in Mickey Rourke who was in the wrestler and iron man 2. What was he doing there? Was he signing as well

i'm sad to say today there was a leslie nielsen talk at BFI in london but leslie have fell the stairs at the hotel and lucky he is fine but unable to attend the event today :D wish him speedy recover! :)

Damn. Very sorry to hear of his accident.

Definitely wish him all the best, and I really thank him for all his efforts this past weekend. He was brilliant and I'll always remember how he tried so hard for his fans.

Tippi Hedren is also doing a talk at BFI tonight after a screening of The Birds. (she was also on Loose Women yesterday and mentioned the BFI talk). Tony Curtis did a talk there too a few days after he was at Autographica two years ago. I met him at that Autographica and then went to the BFI talk as well.

Combining a trip to Autographica with a BFI talk and a few TV/radio interviews seems to be a good way to get some of the older legendary stars over here. Lets hope we get some more legends like this at future shows too (Doris Day, Lauren Bacall, Jane Russell etc).

i'm sad to say today there was a leslie nielsen talk at BFI in london but leslie have fell the stairs at the hotel and lucky he is fine but unable to attend the event today :( wish him speedy recover! :)

Very sad to hear this - hope he recovers soon.

What a fantastic man..he's my favourite actor of all time & I feel priveliged to have met him as I never thought I would ever get the chance.

Wishing a speedy recovery to Leslie - what a top bloke he was at the weekend. Thoughts are with him.

(Doris Day, Lauren Bacall, Jane Russell etc).

Particularly Doris Day and Lauren Bacall would be fantastic. Dave, please see if you can make this happen.

I would order 4 gold passes tomorrow if they were announced!

Edited by keithporter23

How was your luxury suite in the end Keith, I do hope the butler came up to scratch!

I have to say, the penthouse suite was fantastic :wub: - i've booked one for Milton Keynes lol

And no, the butler didn't; I did all my own scratching!

Edited by keithporter23