Excellent event - well done!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was just the 2nd time my Dad & I have made the trip over from Ireland for Autographica,& this weekend proved just why it's worth the effort - in one word,this show was quite simply AMAZING!

I'm mainly interested in the space guests,but this show had something for everyone.

I attended both days,& managed to meet Jim McDivitt,Fred Haise,Gerry Griffin,Vance Brand,Ed Gibson,Eric Brown & of course Leslie Nielsen (getting multiple autographs too.)

Did the photoshoots with the astros & Leslie on Saturday as well as Leslie's Q&A,& did the 5 space-related lectures on Sunday,which were simply magnificent.

Gerry Griffin & Eric Brown were so pleasamt to meet,as was Freddo,Jim,Vance&Ed.

Leslie was also a delight & his talk was interesting (even if he did get confused 30 seconds into each answer he was giving!) Understandable though - he is 84 after all! ;)

Congrats to Dave,Jason& Paul & the whole crew - a job extremely well done.

Looking forward to September already,& while I'd rather it stayed in Birmingham,I look forward to another star-studded show.

Regards,Shane. :YAHOO:

Some people just want everything!! Autographica is a quiet event, there was not going to be as many dealers as other events and most dealers were selling things associated with the guests that were there. Spent a fortune at the dealer area myself.

As has been said, if you are not happy with the pictures available then you should have brought your own.

The guests were very good at this event and all were willing to chat and acknowledge you. Bond guests were ace. It was a great event :YAHOO:

I was quite chuffed with the 8 x 10 photos on offer at guests' tables on Saturday. Especially with the Bond guests. They had what I wanted to have signed (images from their scenes in their respective films). Anne Lonnberg had an especially good choice. I was only going to get two signed photos, but when I saw there was plenty of variety I had an extra 8 x 10 photo signed.

Hopefully there will be another Autographica at the Hilton Metropole, B'ham in twelve months time again (won't be going down there to London for the next one later this year). I liked the AVTAK 25th anniversary theme with the majority of the Bond guests who attended on the Saturday. I'd like to suggest a For Your Eyes Only reunion for the next Autographica at the Hilton Metropole, B'ham next year (fingers crossed), as it will be the 30th anniversary in 2011. Where can I post guest suggestions on the Showmasters forum for that possible event?

I have a question about the staff on Saturday...where was the chap with the glasses and beard who is normally at the desk where the postal tickets/wrist passes were handed out? Also, was that Too Tall in the black suit (he was as tall as Richard Kiel)?

Edited by SunSpeed

I have a question about the staff on Saturday...where was the chap with the glasses and beard who is normally at the desk where the postal tickets/wrist passes were handed out? Also, was that Too Tall in the black suit (he was as tall as Richard Kiel)?

The chap with glasses and beard was on holiday.

• Showmasters Admin

was that Too Tall in the black suit (he was as tall as Richard Kiel)?

Yes that was him. I must say hello to him one of these days.

It was, and yes you should :D

was that Too Tall in the black suit (he was as tall as Richard Kiel)?

Yes that was him. I must say hello to him one of these days.

It was, and yes you should :D

I know - but every time I walk past you are deep in discussion with someone ;) I promise I'll say hello at CM :D

Hi Swan...

You said something there...

The girl with Ed Gibson would'nt shut up. When I bought my entrance ticket I was told to show it to the assistant's which I duly did to be greeted with a 'why you showing me this?' to which I repleid I was told to but she didnt have a clue what I was on about! I said may be some one is having alaff to which she started wittering, when I wanted to talk to Ed Gibson! There was a edge to her and when you say...

Also - certain volunteers - please don't volunteer to work for Showmasters if you are going to be rude and miserable to the paying public.

It kind of flagged up with me. Also she seemed to know me from some place, I said may be at past Autographicas, but I havent a clue who she was (or deep down not really care...)

Other assistant's have been brilliant, they took the money, made there notes and asked what i wanted and let me chat with the guests...

Any one got further thoughts?

von Dawson's Express

By and large nearly all the staff I've encountered have been great. There may be one or two miserable types but we don't know for example if a punter has just been rude to them or if there are other aspects that are giving them a bad day, and we tend to remember the one single one who was a bit off and forget the other 25 who were super. As an example when I went to meet Fred Haise there was a person in front of me in the queue who was obviously a bit star struck and when they got to Fred they went completely tongue tied. The young lady helper next to Fred I think saw this and started initiating some chit chat, asking about the picture they'd brought to get signed, where they'd travelled from etc, and drew the person into a very nice chat with Fred. It meant I had to wait a few minutes more but I didn't mind. I get the distinct feeling the guys work long hours and we only see a couple of those hours and I personally couldn't do the job, I'd be a right grumpy sod lol! Cheers

This was my third autographica and I thoroughly enjoyed it. My highlights were having dinner with Leslie Nielsen, having my photo taken with Tippi Hedren and chatting to Anne Lonnberg each day.

The WW2 heroes stole the show at the Gala Dinner and I have just seen Sqn/Ldr Tony Iveson DFC with Robin Gibb on GMTV as Westminster City Council will decide today if the Memorial can be built.

Here is the link if you would like to support the great cause. Bomber Command Memorial

The WW2 heroes stole the show at the Gala Dinner and I have just seen Sqn/Ldr Tony Iveson DFC with Robin Gibb on GMTV as Westminster City Council will decide today if the Memorial can be built.

Here is the link if you would like to support the great cause. Bomber Command Memorial

Thanks for that. A very good cause.

Something that I definitely support. I hope the Memorial is built.

Edited by spocks-brain

As I have said before, it was a great great Autographica... :D

The celebrity Dinner was wonderful. ;):clap:

But I have a question... Who could tell me the title of the wonderful music introducing the guests in movie screen... Was a great music...

Blimey this makes very sad reading, poor soul.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Higgins 'could die' without new teeth

- Mon, 17 May 12:52:00 2010

Friends of former world snooker champion Alex Higgins are in a race against time to raise £20,000 to pay for 'the Hurricane' to have a dental operation that they hope will save his life.

The 61-year-old lost his teeth after undergoing radiotherapy treatment while battling throat cancer and has since been living off baby food which has seen him shrivel to just six stone.

His former PA, Will Robinson, has now been quoted in the Mirror as saying that Higgins could die unless he has teeth implants.

"We are desperately trying to raise £20,000 for teeth implants, which his dentist insists will help him eat properly again," said Robinson.

"Alex is living in a tiny flat in Belfast and has been living off baby food for years. It's so sad. Unless we do something he could be facing death.

"He's still loved by many and we're hoping people will remember what he brought to the sport.

"It would be amazing if he could get better and, who knows, one day made it back to the table."

A fund-raising dinner will be held in Manchester on Tuesday, with Higgins, Jimmy White and John Virgo all expected to attend.

Meanwhile, Higgins told the Sunday Life newspaper that his biggest fear is dying alone.

He told the paper that Siobhan Kidd, who left him in 1989 after he battered her with a hairdryer, was his "last great love."