Excellent event - well done!

I for one enjoyed this Autographica, I was on a limmited budget and was only going to meet Ed Gibson and Gerry Griffin (...and if funds allowed the Luftwaffe Experten... but unfortunatly they could not attend)

I bought my entry ticket after a bit of a walk about the hotel as it was not very well signed but really it was'nt a problem. Buying my ticket was very speedy and I was soon in and met a few friends for a chat.

Met Ed Gibson and he came over as a very nice gentlemen, I told him I followed his mission 'as a sprog' through newspapers and a black and white TV, he understood and said today we have too much information thrown at us with the www and 24 hour news...

Gerry Griffin was busy so another mooch about but when I caught up with him - again - another childhood hero who did not disappoint, I asked him about the actor in the mini-series 'From Earth to the Moon' and he laughed and said it felt worse for him when Apollo 12 was struck by lightning.

Talk about discussing real history with some one who was there/involved! and that is what makes Autographica so special.

Well done team on another excellent event!

Bring on September!

von Dawson's Express

PS if YOU was think of missing Sunday - DON'T - Try and get there, you won't regret it!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got back from todays show and I loved it.

I was mainly there for Leslie Neilson as I was also on a very tight budget, and I got my photo shoot with him which was great - left a very happy lass.

My friend did Gerry Griffin too - as he's got a NASA book that he wanted a footprint picture signed - so we both left very very happy people.

I'm just gutted I can't get there for Nigel Planer tomorrow - and really hope that you guys can get him again for another event.

Smiles all round - thank you :D)

This was my first event.

I had photo's with Leslie and Fred Haise, and got the signature of Eric Brown. These are all the people I wanted to see, so I'm very happy.

I will say a big thank you to the crew member who accommodated a problem I had in the photo shoot with Fred Haise. Through a miscommunication with another staff member I missed the shoot, but after explaining the situation to said crew member, and after a short wait, Mr Haise returned to the photo room and me and my brother had the photo. Thanks extend to Mr Haise as well, who wasn't irritated in the slightest. I apologized to both of course. I even offered just to be allowed a private photo in his signing chair - but the crew member insisted I have it done properly.

Leslie was a hoot. Always up for a laugh.

Well initially I was only attending because of Leslie Nielsen which was breaking my own rule of never attending an event purely becasue of one guest. Glad I broke that rule, a really friendly down to earth person, and very funny! The recent addition of Sylvia Anderson was a lovely bonus. I met Dave Prowse & Kenny Baker again, who are both on fine form.

Oh and I also met Jason, :D - I was the person thanking you for all the Trek guests! Of course more than one person may have done that :D

I too really enjoyed the day. It was great to meet Tippi Hedren and Susannah York - with whom I had quite a long chat about her forthcoming theatrical work, she is a fantastic guest. I also enjoyed meeting Leslie Nielson, a nice guy who seemed to be tiring by early afternoon. Due to an oversight on my part I didn't see his table when I arrived at 9.45am but went straight to see Tippi who had a really long queue. My VQ ticket was 73 so I finally saw him about 1,30pm. I found the staff very helpful and am looking forward to the next event already.

Edited by Paul.W

Leslie Nielsen was great, I was so pleased to meet someone I never thought I would. Kenneth Cranham was really down to earth and told me a couple of great stories regarding other actors and his role in Layer Cake. Maurice Roeves was also great to meet, he and Kenneth Cranham were happy to pose for a photo also. Personally I found Tippi Hedren rude, I had a photo from her CSI Las Vegas role and after she signed it said to her " How did you come to be on CSI " ( many of the higher profile guest stars are approached by Bill Peterson from his theatre contacts, or sometimes contact the show and ask for a part ), she just looked at me and said " I'm an actress" as though I thought she got the part from winning a raffle. As I was walking away I heard her say to the assistant " What stupid questions people ask ", as at £25 she was at the top end of autograph costs if you are not desperate for her signature I would save your money.

Leslie Nielsen was great, I was so pleased to meet someone I never thought I would. Kenneth Cranham was really down to earth and told me a couple of great stories regarding other actors and his role in Layer Cake. Maurice Roeves was also great to meet, he and Kenneth Cranham were happy to pose for a photo also. Personally I found Tippi Hedren rude, I had a photo from her CSI Las Vegas role and after she signed it said to her " How did you come to be on CSI " ( many of the higher profile guest stars are approached by Bill Peterson from his theatre contacts, or sometimes contact the show and ask for a part ), she just looked at me and said " I'm an actress" as though I thought she got the part from winning a raffle. As I was walking away I heard her say to the assistant " What stupid questions people ask ", as at £25 she was at the top end of autograph costs if you are not desperate for her signature I would save your money.

I met her yesterday and she seemed to be more interested in chatting to that actor (haven't got a clue what he was in) to the right of her than her fans, wonder what she was like in the photo shoot? Anybody?

Loved it, my daughter and I circled like Sharks with my newbie friend Andy, took in the sights, the various stalls with the various items, it was a joy to chat to Nick and Bryar Deakin again from Space Boosters and their fantastic array of items.

And of course to see the Astronauts is always a pleasure and of course meeting Gerry Griffin was a unique moment, thank you Showmasters from those who organised it to the guys who crewed it, especially the redhead sat with Ed Gibson on the Saturday, you were a very charming and polite Lady, I was there for Dr. Gibson but you were a breath of fresh air, but nevertheless this is my Thirteenth Autographica and not my last!

Plus I have to mention David Bryant, in recent Autographica events it has been part of my routine to at least pop over to the Space Station and purchase an item or two which are priceless to me but what I find golden are the anecdotes and the company of the guy and of course the Ladies from the Astronaut Scholarship foundation cant go without being mentioned for there updates on the KSC and the current STS missions.

And before I finish may I ask if anyone heard anything in regards to the other names coming in September, I did hear Valentina Tereshkova mentioned or is that a chinese whisper at the moment? :P

attended autographica on saturday,enjoyed the couple of hours i was there,everything seemed to run smoothly,just bought a few autographs from dealers but must say again a lot of the items were again overpriced.every event you attend and there does not seem to be any change in prices.

looking foward to the next one already :P

I met her yesterday and she seemed to be more interested in chatting to that actor (haven't got a clue what he was in) to the right of her than her fans, wonder what she was like in the photo shoot? Anybody?

I think that was Ray Lonnen who sat to the right of Tippi Hedren at the signing table at the back of the signing area yesterday. I was glad I got a signed 8 x 10 photo, but found her to be one of the disappointing guests yesterday (the Bond guests were great, very chatty).

Edited by SunSpeed

Great weekend - just got back. Leslie Nielson was great as was Sylvia Anderson, all the Bond guests, Maurice Roeves, George Baker and Nigel Planer. Tippi was okay but I missed Alex Higgins. Did he turn up?

All in all a great weekend.

Again on a tight budget hence just went for Leslie really. Had a great photo shoot with him where he seemed to make everyone laugh, what a great guy.

Browsing the stalls my wife and I found an original Airplane movie poster for a bargain price and so got him to sign that. Initially we asked for a quote from Airplane on the poster but due to him being a bit deaf he was asking if we were married, we said yes and that it was our anniversary etc so he wrote "Good luck, Happy Anniversary, Leslie Nielsen". He was very sweet about it and apologised for being a bit deaf. A memory to treasure!

Got to say had a great day today... Was a bit worried about meeting Leslie due to comments from yesterday, But no problems at all, met him first thing signed Naked Gun poster and photo told me how the name of Frank Dreben came about. Got Tippi's autograph she was chatty and shook my wifes and my hands, she said that she was not allowed to have posed photos due to signs being up. I LOVE Carole Ashby had a great chat with her told her about my Allo Allo website she took the address down and said she would sign my guest book. had photos taken with her. Then we waited to meet Alex Higgins got a photo signed by Alex it was sad to see such a legend in a poor state of health and not being able to speak very easily due to the cancer.

will try to load a couple of photos.

Another outstanding event, well done to all involved for organising and running the show. The quality honestly seems to get high every time.

I mainly went for the space guests but was also pleased to be able to meet Ray Lonnen, had a decent chat with him about The Sandbaggers.

All the space guests were friendly and approachable and seemed happy to chat. I had to laugh this morning when Leslie Neilsen was bought in after the show had started and was greeted by Jim McDivitt shouting "You lazy louse" at him!

The astronaut and pilot talks were all excellent, only pity was they couldn't have gone on for longer, but given the number of lectures to get through it was understandable that they had to keep things to a tight timescale.

All in all an excellent weekend, looking forward to the next one already!

Attended Saturday and had a good day. Bond guests were nice & chatty, it was a very good move making them a tenner each. Had a good experience with Leslie Nielsen. For me Autographica continues to be the BEST signing event.

Slight quibble on having the 2 AVTAK blokes in the Bond photo shoot though, its all about the Bond girls! Chatted to Carole after and even she thought it was a bit odd.

Edited by A007

Loved the event, met so many nice people.

Kenneth Cranham was lovely to meet and didnt mind at all when i asked him for a photo,

when i asked him him if he would mind me taking a pic, he said "i dont mind at all, would love to."

A really nice man.

I also met Gerald Harper he was also a gent, he chatted to me and my kids like we had known

him years. He was an absolutely lovely man.

The same goes for Leslie Nielsen, as funny off screen as on.

The only problem was my young daughter paid for Tippi Hedren only for her to ignore my daughter

when she asked politely for a photo and when she did get her camera out Miss Hedren turned her head.

It didnt go down to well.

Attended Saturday and had a good day. Bond guests were nice & chatty, it was a very good move making them a tenner each. Had a good experience with Leslie Nielsen. For me Autographica continues to be the BEST signing event.

Slight quibble on having the 2 AVTAK blokes in the Bond photo shoot though, its all about the Bond girls! Chatted to Carole after and even she thought it was a bit odd.

I remember you talking to me about that. It was rather strange as most Bond shoots have Bond girls only. Its a nice keep sake though.

Two issues which frustrated me a little and went to prove that honesty is not always the best policy.

1 - Contrary to all the pre-event talk of being super-strict on attendees and everyone MUST show their entry stub at autograph/photo sessions and get their hand stamped...the complete opposite was true. Today the front door was completely unmanned when I went by, and people were nipping in and out of the event through side and rear doors. A little annoying as all us honest folk pay, and it should be enforced that everyone should have to pay to get in.

2 - Being perhaps 20th in Leslie Nielsen's queue when the the show started on Sat, being given a virtual ticket then being told (along with all the others who had been given them) to leave the queue, which I did. The problem is, no-one else did. And in addition to losing my place in the queue, even more people joined the end and didnt leave after getting their VT's. I gave up being one of the good guys and rejoined the line, but was now over a dozen places behind were I was before.

Two issues which frustrated me a little and went to prove that honesty is not always the best policy.

1 - Contrary to all the pre-event talk of being super-strict on attendees and everyone MUST show their entry stub at autograph/photo sessions and get their hand stamped...the complete opposite was true. Today the front door was completely unmanned when I went by, and people were nipping in and out of the event through side and rear doors. A little annoying as all us honest folk pay, and it should be enforced that everyone should have to pay to get in.

I hear what you're saying, but I don't know how viable it is to have someone manning the door all day. If you man the door till 11am, say, you'll catch 99% of attendees. It probably isn't worth leaving someone there all day to pick up the remaining 1%.

Went today and enjoyed it very much. Very impressed with Fred Haise, who was both humble and friendly, and Jim McDivitt, who is just the funniest, brightest guy! Gerry Griffen is up there too, what a smashing fellow he is. Glad I was able to get my question in during Jim's lecture about whether it was true he left NASA management because he disagreed with the crew rotation policy. Just one sublimey hilarious moment during Freddo's lecture when he started talking about the LEM spacecraft filters, and somebody in the crowd just happened to have one and handed it over to him!

Thanks showmasters, I wanted to come over to thank you personally for putting the show on but couldn't find ya, see you at the next one.