What are you cosplaying at Glasgow?

TurkFox

Way too far off for me to think what I'll be cosplaying as I've got lots of events before then and will probably change my mind while packing or even on the day anyway, but I've seen some of you discussing what you'll be wearing! Care to share? :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

New to the forums here and was wondering what the deal was with the cosplay :poki: . I am mainly a sci fi fan and airsoft player. I have more than a few stargate costumes and have never been to a con or anything similar....

Was looking to get into it. :thumbup:

Cosplay itself is just the act of wearing the costume, even if you're just wearing it at home. So if you come to the show in your costume, you are cosplaying. There is also the masquerade, which is where people who have made at least part of the costume themselves can compete.

Cosplay itself is just the act of wearing the costume, even if you're just wearing it at home.

I know you're our resident cosplay guru, but I disagree with that description. Costuming is the act of wearing (and before that, making) the costume, cosplay is wearing the costume and acting like the character. A costumer wears a Captain Kirk costume; a cosplayer wears the costume and acts like Captain Kirk.

New to the forums here and was wondering what the deal was with the cosplay

Don't get too bogged down by the word cosplay - it's not a word I like by any stretch of the imagination. I prefer the word costuming, which better describes what I do. If you wanna do the whole acting like the character thing, that's cool, but if you're not so keen on that and just like dressing up in silly costumes, then that's fine too.

Am hoping to get to Collectormainia Glasgow this year. A friend of mine accidently ended up there last year on a shopping trip and fancies a return trip.

From youtube it seems the main costumes are Star Wars ie the 501st. I am mainly a stargate/star trek fan - are there many people that do that? As for the masquerade - most Stargate costumes are bought items added together with a few mods so would that be eligible?

Marty - If you tell people it's not cosplay because they're not acting the part, you're going to confuse people.

Cosplay has a couple of meanings, but the most relevant is the merging of the words costume and play. If you want to wear a costume while attending an event (perhaps even to compete or to perform a short sketch), then you have entered the exciting world of cosplay... "cosplay" has been expanded to mean simply wearing a costume.

I'm quite keen on costuming for this- possibly Janine (I'm thinking from the Real Ghostbusters), possibly Amy Pond, or possibly something star trek related. That's if I can get my act together. Or I might change my mind altogether. :P

Will definitely have to think of something for the party though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

well whit can i say , there will be at least 2 hitgirl and big daddys i think , possibly someone as kick ass

me i'll be out the front in my TIE , hopefully back with the Mando (possibly a new one ) and fingers crossed a ghost buster (pack is 90% done)

I am in the middle of making an original series dress from scratch. If it's ready by Glasgow, I might wear it... will have to get a photo together!

Also, are there going to be any Ghosbusters at this con? Wondering whether to get my Janine outfit out.

Great hope you dress is ready for the convention it would be good to get a photo together ;) Hope you can get your ghostbuster pack ready for the convention too marty

Edited by carnosoul