SURPRISE GUEST to be Announced at the Show

Massive Events

I was at the event and I thought John Leeson was a great guest, thanks for bringing him Showmasters and Massive Events. Before the event, I'd been guessing big actors and small actors, both of which are very welcome to the event. I think the best thing here is to not get your hopes up plus we did get a free K9 photo in our registration packs so couldn't people have got that signed? Obviously some people might have wanted special things from their collections signed and I can understand that but it's not as if there wasn't anything available for him to sign. :thumbup:

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the event and I thought John Leeson was a great guest, thanks for bringing him Showmasters and Massive Events. Before the event, I'd been guessing big actors and small actors, both of which are very welcome to the event. I think the best thing here is to not get your hopes up plus we did get a free K9 photo in our registration packs so couldn't people have got that signed? Obviously some people might have wanted special things from their collections signed and I can understand that but it's not as if there wasn't anything available for him to sign. :thumbup:

Yes but the point I was making was that(being a big long time fan) I already have that picture signed, and didn't have the items with me that I would have got signed. Lose/Lose situation for me and them. I lost out getting things signed, they lost out on more money, so for me no one benefits from it being a bit of fun

Edited by JacknDaniel

• Moderators

Just out of interest... would the people complaining still be complaining if there hadn't been an announcement beforehand that there would be a 'surprise guest' and he had been announced as a COMPLETE surprise on the Friday/Saturday at the event? (Which, while not what happened here, could have been the case if they'd only secured someone last minute.)

Edited by etmuse

Just out of interest... would the people complaining still be complaining if there hadn't been an announcement beforehand that there would be a 'surprise guest' and he had been announced as a COMPLETE surprise on the Friday/Saturday at the event? (Which, while not what happened here, could have been the case if they'd only secured someone last minute.)

Personally yes. I prepare to attend events, and like to have my personal things signed, if they have a guest, I think people should be informed, they might think it's more fun to make a game of it, but I would think it's more fun to know i'm going to meet said guest and get things signed

It's like turning up at CM16 and having some big names there that people didn't know about. You would have people saying 'you should be glad they got them at all' but thats not what is in question. You would have people that would have brought DVDs, movie posters, pictures etc if they knew. Yes it's cool they got them, yes it's good that people who never met them get to meet them, but that would happen regardless of whether its a surprise or not. May as well announce them so that people can prepare!

Last minute guests would always be appreciated, as they couldnt announce in advance. But if they know, then I think we should

Edited by JacknDaniel

Didn't see many complaints when Kai turned up at Hub 3. I have been to too many of these events to know things can alter on the day. I always take everything i need signing to these events just on the off chance someone turns up.

When you have shelf loads of DVDs it's a little hard to take everything you want signed!

Yes I would and have complained in the past when exactly this has happened. Bruno Langely suddenly turned up unannounced at a Dimensions event and I was upset for exactly the reason I am upset about John. With Bruno I think it may have been genuinely a last minute thing, but clearly here it wasn't.

As JacknDaniel has said I'll look to see if SM/10P take these comments on board. Changing this is something that would cost them nothing. If they choose to ignore how upset some fans are by this then that will tell me quite a lot. What's interesting is how much worse comments are on some Doctor Who forums outside the purview of SM moderators.

If Jason wants his "fun" guessing games then he should announce the answers before the event. Even 24 hours would have given me enough time to prepare and bring along what I wanted. Although I appreciate others might need longer so personally, although I'd rather have no guessing games at all, I'd make the answers announced at least the weekend before the event.

Didn't see many complaints when Kai turned up at Hub 3. I have been to too many of these events to know things can alter on the day. I always take everything i need signing to these events just on the off chance someone turns up.

When you have shelf loads of DVDs it's a little hard to take everything you want signed!

Even harder when you think about all the other shows that you might want things signed. Doctor Who stars have been in Blake's 7, James Bond, Avengers, Gerry Anderson to name but a few of the other things I collect autographs from.

No disrespect intended to Kai but he's only been in Torchwood and there's very little Torchwood merchandise (compared to some shows like Doctor Who) and Kai's done lots of events. So far less of an issue having the right things with you. At Hub 3 the only thing I wanted signed was an item I had with me.

Edited by DavidSimons

If Jason wants his "fun" guessing games then he should announce the answers before the event. Even 24 hours would have given me enough time to prepare and bring along what I wanted. Although I appreciate others might need longer so personally, although I'd rather have no guessing games at all, I'd make the answers announced at least the weekend before the event.

Even harder when you think about all the other shows that you might want things signed. Doctor Who stars have been in Blake's 7, James Bond, Avengers, Gerry Anderson to name but a few of the other things I collect autographs from.

That's a good point, although I often make my own picture up of guests to sign, at the very least the answer to the 'game' could be given the week of the event, so we can grab a quick DVD from our collection to bring along. But yeah I agree, I would rather it was just avoided in future.

I mean if the surprise guest was William Russell. I have a couple of DVDs i'd like signed, and I plan on making a Sir Lancelot picture for him if I meet him again. But if he was announced at the show I wouldn't have anything for him and wouldn't have spent any money on him

Surely the simple solution to keep everyone satisfied is to announce who the surprise guest is a day or so before the event? I mean, the fans could then bring their DVDs etc and Showmasters could still have their competition. It's not like there was a big drumroll announcement that it was John at the event, it was just a case of getting the schedule and saying "oh, looks like it's John Leeson then." I too would have brought a Power of Kroll DVD for him to sign if I'd known before-hand, but I already have the photo supplied signed by him.

As for the "disappointment" of it not being a big name, I refer to my previous post (that everyone seemed to ignore anyway) - "Yeah, I think a lot of people are in for a bit of a disappointment when they find out who it is. Not because it will be anyone bad, but because they are letting their minds get carried away.

It's not any of the new series doctors or (long-term) companions. It's just a competition for a bit of fun, and I hope people remember that when they find out who it is."

Edited by Zagreus

Surely the simple solution to keep everyone satisfied is to announce who the surprise guest is a day or so before the event? I mean, the fans could then bring their DVDs etc and Showmasters could still have their competition. It's not like there was a big drumroll announcement that it was John at the event, it was just a case of getting the schedule and saying "oh, looks like it's John Leeson then." I too would have brought a Power of Kroll DVD for him to sign if I'd known before-hand, but I already have the photo supplied signed by him.

As for the "disappointment" of it not being a big name, I refer to my previous post (that everyone seemed to ignore anyway) - "Yeah, I think a lot of people are in for a bit of a disappointment when they find out who it is. Not because it will be anyone bad, but because they are letting their minds get carried away.

It's not any of the new series doctors or (long-term) companions. It's just a competition for a bit of fun, and I hope people remember that when they find out who it is."

Personally, althought I can't speak for anyone else, my disappointment had nothing to do with it not being a big name. I never thought it was going to be a big guest and I posted to that affect elsewhere on Doctor Who forums. My annoyance is entirely due to the game and missing out on any possibility of getting an autograph.

Yes, there are two camps here who are disappointed. The ones who expected it to be David Tennant, who frankly, only have themselves to blame over the "getting people's hopes up" - did they honestly think big name guests who would majorly boost ticket sales would be kept secret??

The other group have a more genuine concern. Simply that they missed out on a great opportunity to get specific items signed. Again, this could be altered for future events by announcing the guest a day or so before the con. Fans would get their things signed, and likely Showmasters would make a profit too by the people who would bring more than one item.

Edited by Zagreus

Wow, talk about over exaggeration! Some of you are the type of people who will complain about a free meal just for the sake of it. Why?!

There are other shows where the guest is just announced on the night and if it's somewhere like Blackpool and you've come from London, tough- that group pic stays unsigned. And usually, it's a first time guest.

SM did this with a guy who I've seen at a fair whack of shows, and I've never been to a Who specific con.

Good God people, take a chill pill and relax. Why argue for arguings sake? If you knew there was a surprise guest, why not bring some random stuff in the hope of getting it signed? That's what I usually do- just in case!!

And seriously? What good would it do SM to have Tennant and not announce him. "Oh right, we've got 1,000 (totally random number) attendees expected to come to this con. Humm, we've had 10,000 requests for Tennant over the years. Nah, let's just announce him as a surprise cos that's fun to wind people up".

...Seriously?!