SURPRISE GUEST to be Announced at the Show

Massive Events

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair, Showmasters always disappoint with these guessing things.

We should all know by now. Remember CM16?

You caught how many of those guessing things - I am thinking you mean the "guest announcement on x date" topics? - so far? :D

In the past we had among other guests Patrick Stewart announced, or also Dominic Monaghan from Lord of the Rings.

True, not all the time all announcements are everyone's cup of tea. But that's far from "always disappointing" in my book.

Edited by Queen_Sindel

It's kind of hard to tell others not to get excited. :P

Of course logic says if David Tennant will ever get announced at a show he will be announced very early as the event headliner because everyone will want to meet him. Putting him on as a surprise guest would be a wasted opportunity.

But then again someone will say "maybe he's doing it as a reduced fee, just to dip a toe in the water, so it could be him after all."

It's all a matter of how logical you want to be.

• Showmasters Admin

it was never going to be David Tenant was it ? :P

it was a bit of fun and its a free extra auto so i really do not know why everyone wants to dig at us on this guest , if you are going to the event then you are going to be a fan of Dr Who and and a free auto from K9 cannot be a bad thing something that every one would be happy to get for free, its simpule .

well it will not stop us doing this again as its a little bit of fun and hurts no one , just chill out a bit people and enjoy life , its not life and death

jason ;)

it was never going to be David Tenant was it ? :P

it was a bit of fun and its a free extra auto so i really do not know why everyone wants to dig at us on this guest , if you are going to the event then you are going to be a fan of Dr Who and and a free auto from K9 cannot be a bad thing something that every one would be happy to get for free, its simpule .

well it will not stop us doing this again as its a little bit of fun and hurts no one , just chill out a bit people and enjoy life , its not life and death

jason ;)

So basically the fact everyone (your word) except you doesn't like this isn't quote "going to stop you doing it again".

And, for me at least, there wasn't any free K9 auto as I'd nothing with me to get signed. I did have stuff at home that John could have signed but that didn't help. So actually for me it was a very bad thing.

The bit of fun is at our expense though isn't it. I'm not having a "dig" at you I'm really annoyed by this. If you don't care then that's your choice.

Thanks for listening to your customers.

Edited by DavidSimons

Everyone who posted here was what Jason meant.

If attendees liked something they're very much less like to post.

I don't mind these topics, but I don't keep repeating that I do. Why should I? They're harmless fun. If you like them cool, if you don't like them fair enough. But they're not seriously hurting anyone. So what's the harm in ignoring them then?

Besides Jason actually was at the event, so he got a lot of feedback there too. He's got a way more complete picture than we have.

• Moderators

Personally I don't get the whole 'you've overhyped it!' complaint.

We were told there was going to be a surprise guest.

There was a surprise guest.

They gave us exactly what they said they were going to.

It's like when they say there are going to be guest announcements. The only people that create the hype are the attendees themselves, and then they get annoyed with the organisers. It's hardly fair.

Personally I don't get the whole 'you've overhyped it!' complaint.

We were told there was going to be a surprise guest.

There was a surprise guest.

They gave us exactly what they said they were going to.

It's like when they say there are going to be guest announcements. The only people that create the hype are the attendees themselves, and then they get annoyed with the organisers. It's hardly fair.

I, for one, complained long before I knew who it was this was always a lousy idea. It didn't matter who the guest was.

But you're right, they came up with an idea I hated, I told them so, they went ahead and did it anyway, that's why I'm complaining now.

Everyone who posted here was what Jason meant.

If attendees liked something they're very much less like to post.

I don't mind these topics, but I don't keep repeating that I do. Why should I? They're harmless fun. If you like them cool, if you don't like them fair enough. But they're not seriously hurting anyone. So what's the harm in ignoring them then?

Besides Jason actually was at the event, so he got a lot of feedback there too. He's got a way more complete picture than we have.

You're right we should never complain. This forum is only for people to tell Jason how wonderful he is. Even though is this particular case this actually did hurt me as I was unable to get autographs from a guest owing to deliberate actions by Jason. But that helps us both. I saved money and he doesn't have to pay tax on the money I'd have given him. Good for everyone

If we don't like something we should just shut up and say nothing. Because Jason is always right.

Jason is like a god.

So OK I'll never again say anything remotely bad about Jason here, most gets deleted anyway.

Edited by DavidSimons

I see one direct complaint in this topic from before the event, and that's yours. Also reddragon who wasn't too happy with the idea. All others were more or less happily guessing.

That's barely "everyone hated it" in my book.

Generally Showmasters do listen to complaints to make things better. But they're not going to change something that they are happy with - and that is harmless fun.

I even understand why you and reddragon were not too happy with the idea.

But this wasn't a "once in a lifetime chance" which you missed. It was a little extra autograph wise, but nobody missed out on a chance to complete a cast print with Tennant, Matt Smith or even Kylie Minogue - think she's in Europe right now.

You're right we should never complain. This forum is only for people to tell Jason how wonderful he is. Even though is this particular case this actually did hurt me as I was unable to get autographs from a guest owing to deliberate actions by Jason. But that helps us both. I saved money and he doesn't have to pay tax on the money I'd have given him. Good for everyone

Constructive criticism is and has always been welcome here.

But like I said above: if you complain about something that they are happy with and that isn't really going wrong, this criticism very likely won't be taken aboard.

I'm honestly sorry you missed out on getting special items signed by John. But it is not that John will not be coming back. There will be another chance. I'd probably be upset too for the moment, but I really do not understand why you are so mad.

Edited by Queen_Sindel

I see one direct complaint in this topic from before the event, and that's yours. Also reddragon who wasn't too happy with the idea. All others were more or less happily guessing.

That's barely "everyone hated it" in my book.

Generally Showmasters do listen to complaints to make things better. But they're not going to change something that they are happy with - and that has not hurt anyone.

I even understand why you and reddragon were not too happy with the idea.

But this wasn't a "once in a lifetime chance" which you missed. It was a little extra autograph wise, but nobody missed out on a chance to complete a cast print with Tennant, Matt Smith or even Kylie Minogue - think she's in Europe right now.

I think you mis understood me. I wasn't keen on the idea purely because if it had been someone great, I had things for them to sign in the house.

As it was I was quite happy with John Leeson - he was a lovely man, who had a lot of time for the attendees.

I think you mis understood me. I wasn't keen on the idea purely because if it had been someone great, I had things for them to sign in the house.

As it was I was quite happy with John Leeson - he was a lovely man, who had a lot of time for the attendees.

That's what I meant reddragon, sorry if I came across the wrong way.

I was purely talking about pre-event stuff in my post.

Well I don't think the concept went down quite so well on the Doctor Who forums. There could be a feeling, no point being critcial on here, it will only vanish.

it was never going to be David Tenant was it ? ;)

Freebies are always welcome, but then had he been announced it still would have been a free auto. You miss the point though had we known he was coming some of us could have bought with us and paid for loads of extra items in theory. In practice those of us who can wait for the £5 events he does.

No of course it could never have been David, but you never told people not to get their expectations too high.

Edited by TerraHawk

I agree that John should just have been announced as a guest as normal. I too have a couple of things I would've liked him to sign(so you woulld have got an extra £10 from me, but as it was I didn't meet him, as I already have the picture that was supplied signed by him.

And it is very frustrating to have been told at the end of the show that criticisms will be taken on board and that you welcome them, and then when I came on today to speak about my disappointment with this I see you've already posted saying 'no one got hurt and we'll not stop doing it'. Do you even consider that people aren't keen on it? I'm not for one minute suggesting this event was a shambles because lots of people got hurt, i'm just saying people were and obviously still are disappointed, which could be avoided in future

Judging by the average age of attendees at the event(I would say it's the reason people don't come on here, older fans are less likely to use chat forums in my opinion) I would say that most people had met John already, you may think it's a nice surprise for people seeing him there, but lots of peoples(including my) first reaction was 'damn, I could've brought that DVD'

Edited by JacknDaniel

Sorry, just to point that out: that "no one got seriously hurt" is a post of mine and nothing that Jason has posted. That statement was my personal opinion. (Yes, contrary to popular belief mods do have one too. ;))

I understand people are upset, and you're unhappy. I really do. There've been surprise guests at Stargate shows in the past and I was in a similar situation like you guys.

I was upset too back then first, but then treated the guest as what it was intended to be: a nice, welcome extra.

It was mainly in reply to Jason saying that it 'hurts no one' which I don't believe is the point. Obviously hurting people is something that would be looked on seriously! This isn't about being physically hurt, or emotionally damaged, and I do realise that autographs and conventions aren't the most important thing in life. My only point is, if he was announced as a regular guest, I would've met him, also payed extra money, and been happy. As it is, I didn't meet him, didn't spend extra money, and was a little unhappy. Simple as.

If this is COMPLETELY overlooked and dismissed by organisers that's up to you, but just don't say that you'll listen to people and take criticisms on board in future because obviously you are doing it the way you want it and nothing anyone says is going to change anything or make you rethink strategies