Eternal Twilight 5

showmasters

Jason, we all love you and we understand your reasons, but are you really expecting to be able to get Rob or Taylor? Both are involved in filming projects other than Twilight in between films. I think if you could tell us that you are at least TRYING to get Rob or Taylor, possibly with Jackson, Ashley or Kellan, especially Jackson, then people might not feel it's such a hardship to cobble the money together for a ticket.

I'm sure you can appreciate that Showmasters has a very loyal following, myself being a recent addition, but even a full time worker as myself is hard pushed to find that kind of money less than 2 months after ET3. I have just spent £225 on a gold ticket for ET4 and I love the cons so much that I will go hungry rather than miss ET5. But after a £500 bill just 5 weeks ago with hotel, food and tickets bought, even I will find it difficult to find even more money for a ticket for ET5 this early.

I really feel for the people I have met at ET3 who are unemployed, or on benefits because of various illnesses, who attend these cons because it's something positive to focus on, and who will now be incredibly worried that they won't get a ticket for ET5 because at this point in time they just cannot afford it.

Please don't feel that I am criticising, as I say I can see it from both sides of the coin, you are in a difficult position getting the guests that people want and we are in a difficult position of wanting to attend the cons and support Showmasters in their continuing attempts to bring us what we want. It's such a big catch-22.

I do have have a couple of questions however - once you have secured the guests, when do you have to pay them? Is there a retainer fee that you have to pay now and then the balance on attendance? Have you ever had to request a refund of such retainer fee (if applicable) for a guest that has not shown?

My apologies if this puts you "on the spot" but I do want to understand fully the commercial aspects from your point of view.

Love you all especially Too Tall.

Princess HanHan & Shrekkie Boo. :wub:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jason, we all love you and we understand your reasons, but are you really expecting to be able to get Rob or Taylor? Both are involved in filming projects other than Twilight in between films. I think if you could tell us that you are at least TRYING to get Rob or Taylor, possibly with Jackson, Ashley or Kellan, especially Jackson, then people might not feel it's such a hardship to cobble the money together for a ticket.

I'm sure you can appreciate that Showmasters has a very loyal following, myself being a recent addition, but even a full time worker as myself is hard pushed to find that kind of money less than 2 months after ET3. I have just spent £225 on a gold ticket for ET4 and I love the cons so much that I will go hungry rather than miss ET5. But after a £500 bill just 5 weeks ago with hotel, food and tickets bought, even I will find it difficult to find even more money for a ticket for ET5 this early.

I really feel for the people I have met at ET3 who are unemployed, or on benefits because of various illnesses, who attend these cons because it's something positive to focus on, and who will now be incredibly worried that they won't get a ticket for ET5 because at this point in time they just cannot afford it.

Please don't feel that I am criticising, as I say I can see it from both sides of the coin, you are in a difficult position getting the guests that people want and we are in a difficult position of wanting to attend the cons and support Showmasters in their continuing attempts to bring us what we want. It's such a big catch-22.

I do have have a couple of questions however - once you have secured the guests, when do you have to pay them? Is there a retainer fee that you have to pay now and then the balance on attendance? Have you ever had to request a refund of such retainer fee (if applicable) for a guest that has not shown?

My apologies if this puts you "on the spot" but I do want to understand fully the commercial aspects from your point of view.

Princess HanHan & Shrekkie Boo. :thumbup:

I can understand your questions, but not sure that Jason and Mark will want to get into discussing how guests are paid on the forum

I'm really glad it's been announced. And I too can see the reasons for going this way about it.

I just think when it comes to ET 6 (oh dear lol) ... That fair warning be given that your goin to put them on sale a certain period before the event. 20days notice was a poor idea. If someone had said at et3 that there is a possibility that you would be looking to put et5 on sale straight after et4 was on sale then people would not be as put out.

I hate being negative as it is appreciated everything that is done for us. I always have an amazing time.

Hope that voicing our opinions helps and I can't wait for all the ETs :thumbup:

Princess HanHan & Shrekkie Boo. :wub:

I can understand your questions, but not sure that Jason and Mark will want to get into discussing how guests are paid on the forum

Hi Rhianydd

I wasn't expecting to be answered on the forum, but I don't have access to direct emails, my email address is on my profile, if anyone does want to answer my queries. It was a matter of interest more than anything. We do appreciate that getting guests can be difficult but Jason and Mark must also appreciate that the costs of attending two of these a year, especially at the Hilton can be quite restrictive for their "show-hards" and I was just expressing an across the board concern for even people who work full time.

ET3 was my first con and I enjoyed myself so much I bought a ticket for ET4 and am planning to go to LFCC which thankfully is a little cheaper. But attempting to sort out tickets and hotel for next February when we've not finished paying for October yet showmasters must also appreciate is difficult even for the better paid of us and the question was aimed at obtaining an explanation as to why tickets need to go on sale so early. Obviously, tickets will pretty much sell out, as I understand from people who've been to all the cons and as explained the Hilton facilities are offered free, so I think if people understood where their money was going THIS early on, it might make the effort to get the money together a little easier to stomach.

Again not meant to criticise, just an attempt at understanding the commercial obligations that showmasters face.

Princess HanHan and Shrek.

xxxx

• Moderators

and as explained the Hilton facilities are offered free,

The 'free' Jason mentioned in his post is, I believe, time-wise, NOT money-wise. They have to pay a whole lot to hire out the rooms in the hotel... (and probably have to pay a hefty deposit as soon as they book it)

Edited by etmuse

2 we need to get the date and the event on the diary of the bigger guests we want to attend this event as some

guests are getting so much work now days of the back of Twilight we need to get in early and penciled in

Thats all well and good but as we all know, guests can cancel last minute for a number of reasons. Surely having them aware of the event so much in advance and booked early still doesnt guarantee their attendance?

All I ask is that you guys look at all the variety of things that the US cons seem to incorporate into their weekends and try and bring us some of the same. They just seem to have soooo much more going on compared to what we do. Having John Henson at ET3 was definitely a step in the right direction so just keep it coming!

I wanna be surprised and excited for new things each time.

lol maybe I just attend too many cons that they all just start to feel the same :wub:

Also, STRESS that ET5 tix go on sale before payday. :D

xxxx

I wasn't expecting to be answered on the forum, but I don't have access to direct emails, my email address is on my profile, if anyone does want to answer my queries. It was a matter of interest more than anything.

Sorry, but you won't get an answer to those questions by e-mail either.

Contract issues are strictly confidential, and all payment details and pretty much everything you asked about won't be shared with a third party, not even by e-mail. Depending on the other clauses in the contract in fact talking about them even without giving a name can involve quite hefty fines. It would be really unusual to get a comment more detailed than the one Jason made saying the actors have to be paid at some point.

Also Hilton facilities are definitely not free of charge, the "free" Jason meant was they had a free weekend to accomodate the event. At Chevron we played musical rooms half of the weekend because at one point there were three events in the hotel, so the Hilton is a quite popular location.

Jason and Mark are always trying to get all guests, and anything is possible. They got three of the actors portraying the Hobbits at the height of the Lord of the Rings craze. But again SM will not confirm or deny contract negotiations. We are lucky if Jason posts one of his hints nowadays - even that got more rare now after some backlash because things didn't turn out the way Jason thought they would turn out.

I understand you guys, I really do. I like low ticket numbers too and usually book for the Chevron cons right away when the tickets go on sale. But if you can't book right away that's okay - book when you can afford it. You may sit a couple of rows back and maybe get your autographs at different times, but you'll still be at the con and have an amazing time. The first ET sold out so fast, but thankfully meanwhile that rush has died down a bit, so right now you don't even have to worry about missing out on a ticket.

Mark and Jason do understand your concerns too. Jason has already written a quite lengthy post about his reasons. They really didn't have another choice.

Thats all well and good but as we all know, guests can cancel last minute for a number of reasons. Surely having them aware of the event so much in advance and booked early still doesnt guarantee their attendance?

No, it doesn't guarantee their appearance. I think we all have suffered from our share of cancellations. But if another event gets them signed up first they definitely won't appear. ;)

Edited by Queen_Sindel

Copying a post here from another thread as think this ones probably more relevant:

I want to get tix for me and my mate (gold if poss) but she's not going ET4, so can I not get them both at the presale? If I get myself one, and then her one on general sale if gold don't sell out, can we b in the same autograph/photo groups???

Have the gold sold out on just presale before??

Thank youuu

Copying a post here from another thread as think this ones probably more relevant:

I want to get tix for me and my mate (gold if poss) but she's not going ET4, so can I not get them both at the presale? If I get myself one, and then her one on general sale if gold don't sell out, can we b in the same autograph/photo groups???

Thank youuu

I did that for a friend for ET3 tickets I brought mine at ET then hers when tickets went on sale online and we were able to go in the same group just speak to too tall when you get there

is the no way you will look at putting in back even just one month to say 20th may that will it gives people time to get paid and get the money together it will make people alot happier.

I know tickets wont sell out straight away but I think gold and possibly silver will which isnt fair to the people who have come to every con and want gold again.

Yeah but then that means that Showmasters will be missing out on a months worth of ticket sales for those who can afford it right now...so I can see where they are coming from.

they wont really lose out on a months worth of ticket sales cuz they are more likely to sell more tickets in a months time as more people will have the money for them if anything they will just lose out on the extra months worth of interest from the money being in the bank!

Thank youuu

I did that for a friend for ET3 tickets I brought mine at ET then hers when tickets went on sale online and we were able to go in the same group just speak to too tall when you get there

It's one ticket per person and ET4 ticket holders only can order. So you can only get one for yourself right now in the pre-sale and your friend will have to order when the general sale starts, sorry.

Miss Ragamuffin is right, speak to TooTall at the event and he'll sort out things and you can go in the same groups.

Gold has not sold out in the pre-sale before.

they wont really lose out on a months worth of ticket sales cuz they are more likely to sell more tickets in a months time as more people will have the money for them if anything they will just lose out on the extra months worth of interest from the money being in the bank!

They will sell more tickets right away when the sale starts in a month's time, this is very likely true.

But still there are some people who can book now. And the money coming from those ticket sales can make a huge difference if they have it now compared to having twice the money in a month's time.

Remember the post about that "big name" guest for ET4, the one where SM would have had to pay a significant amount of money right away? Starting the sale on April 20 can very well mean they get the money to secure a guest that could have signed up elsewhere in a month's time.

Thank youuu

It's one ticket per person and ET4 ticket holders only can order. So you can only get one for yourself right now in the pre-sale and your friend will have to order when the general sale starts, sorry.

Miss Ragamuffin is right, speak to TooTall at the event and he'll sort out things and you can go in the same groups.

Gold has not sold out in the pre-sale before.

Thanks for the info QS.. i thought that would be the case, fingers crossed they dont sell out in the presale this time then :smile: just glad we will be able to be in the same groups etc

I wasn't expecting to be answered on the forum, but I don't have access to direct emails, my email address is on my profile, if anyone does want to answer my queries. It was a matter of interest more than anything.

Sorry, but you won't get an answer to those questions by e-mail either.

Contract issues are strictly confidential, and all payment details and pretty much everything you asked about won't be shared with a third party, not even by e-mail. Depending on the other clauses in the contract in fact talking about them even without giving a name can involve quite hefty fines. It would be really unusual to get a comment more detailed than the one Jason made saying the actors have to be paid at some point.

Also Hilton facilities are definitely not free of charge, the "free" Jason meant was they had a free weekend to accomodate the event. At Chevron we played musical rooms half of the weekend because at one point there were three events in the hotel, so the Hilton is a quite popular location.

Jason and Mark are always trying to get all guests, and anything is possible. They got three of the actors portraying the Hobbits at the height of the Lord of the Rings craze. But again SM will not confirm or deny contract negotiations. We are lucky if Jason posts one of his hints nowadays - even that got more rare now after some backlash because things didn't turn out the way Jason thought they would turn out.

I understand you guys, I really do. I like low ticket numbers too and usually book for the Chevron cons right away when the tickets go on sale. But if you can't book right away that's okay - book when you can afford it. You may sit a couple of rows back and maybe get your autographs at different times, but you'll still be at the con and have an amazing time. The first ET sold out so fast, but thankfully meanwhile that rush has died down a bit, so right now you don't even have to worry about missing out on a ticket.

Mark and Jason do understand your concerns too. Jason has already written a quite lengthy post about his reasons. They really didn't have another choice.

No, it doesn't guarantee their appearance. I think we all have suffered from our share of cancellations. But if another event gets them signed up first they definitely won't appear. :P

Look everyone - I'm not after specific and personal "negotiation" information - never was.

I was asking about GENERAL information about the WORKINGS of why you need people's money 10 months in advance and only 2 months after the last con - this was an attempt for people on this side to understand why and also (if you think about it) to assist Showmasters in avoiding the vitriol which they are getting for putting the tickets on sale so early/so soon after ET3.

I'm not interested in the personal ins and outs of the negotiation side of it, I already know how these things work from start to finish - I work for a law firm. I don't even care who the guests are - I will be there to see the friends I've made regardless. I was as you will note expressing my concerns for the less financially able.

I think Jason "dangling" the Rob/Taylor carrot was commercial genius personally. Who doesn't want to make sure they've got the money together for THAT in the space of 19 days! Jason made a "statement" in his post about getting the likes of Rob or Taylor for cons. I asked if he was trying to get Rob or Taylor - I don't understand why that can't be answered. In fact as outlined if it was confirmed that he was TRYING to get Rob or Taylor, then tickets would probably be sold out in the space of minutes. Another genius commercial move.

At the end of the day I'm asking viable questions on behalf of people who struggle to get the money together to explain to them how and why the money is necessary so early on without recourse to the way the USA cons work (considering one of them recently folded not a good framework to pitch on). Again I STRESS that I am far from interested in what negotiations are ongoing at present as I will be there regardless.

I do however feel like I'm being treated like some kind of criminal for asking - let's face it - we put our money and our trust in Showmasters months before events in any case to bring us the personalities we want to see and NOBODY - I'm sure even Showmasters wants to feel like they've wasted their money. After all if we go into a shop to buy something, we leave with what we've bought straight away so we know exactly what we're getting for our money!

Therefore another question, BEFORE the tickets go on sale, will there be an announcement as to a BIG guest being booked?????

Princess HanHan of Manchester :lol:

I understand too

Just a question for the Hilton,

What is the code for the room because it does not work

The code is GTWIB but it won't work unless "con" rooms have been released. You need to keep checking on a daily basis.:D

• Moderators

The problems with the questions you are asking is that they open up a complete can of worms that shouldn't be. Any organiser should be allowed a certain amount of confidentiality, and to be fair to ME, they get moaned at when they suggest certain things anyway so why would they want to say some of the things you're asking for?

No one is treating you, or anyone else, like a criminal. We're just being realistic in terms of what you're going to be told.

ME have stated that they aim to get every Twilight guest possible on numerous occasions. Therefore they are always trying to get the main cast. Why wouldn't they? It's not specific to this event, nor any other. If they have the chance to have any of them then I'm sure they'll snap them up. It's not like people need to request them.

They're in a far better position now to cope with getting them for an ET con though, what with the bigger venue etc. It'll be slightly easier to manage from an organising standpoint, and perhaps it'll be more realistic to cope with financially too. Twilight guests are NOT cheap - and that's not even taking the lead roles into account.

Commercial genius you say? Not necessarily. It can easily backfire, as has been proved many times before with things Jason has said. Things change, people end up disappointed, blah blah. But in the end ME work within the confines of guests that are affordable and willing to do conventions, and that's always a tricky and variable environment.

I'm not even talking about early ticket sales. This is all truthful whether they go on sale now, tomorrow, or in months. Even if ME raise the cash earlier, there's no guarantee they can get bigger guests. There never will be. But they aim to grow, and they're in a stronger position than they ever have been. The only opposition is the growth of Twilight, the financial impact, and the popularity of these actors/actresses meaning they get jobs outside of the Twilight world.

The problems with the questions you are asking is that they open up a complete can of worms that shouldn't be. Any organiser should be allowed a certain amount of confidentiality, and to be fair to ME, they get moaned at when they suggest certain things anyway so why would they want to say some of the things you're asking for?

No one is treating you, or anyone else, like a criminal. We're just being realistic in terms of what you're going to be told.

ME have stated that they aim to get every Twilight guest possible on numerous occasions. Therefore they are always trying to get the main cast. Why wouldn't they? It's not specific to this event, nor any other. If they have the chance to have any of them then I'm sure they'll snap them up. It's not like people need to request them.

They're in a far better position now to cope with getting them for an ET con though, what with the bigger venue etc. It'll be slightly easier to manage from an organising standpoint, and perhaps it'll be more realistic to cope with financially too. Twilight guests are NOT cheap - and that's not even taking the lead roles into account.

Commercial genius you say? Not necessarily. It can easily backfire, as has been proved many times before with things Jason has said. Things change, people end up disappointed, blah blah. But in the end ME work within the confines of guests that are affordable and willing to do conventions, and that's always a tricky and variable environment.

I'm not even talking about early ticket sales. This is all truthful whether they go on sale now, tomorrow, or in months. Even if ME raise the cash earlier, there's no guarantee they can get bigger guests. There never will be. But they aim to grow, and they're in a stronger position than they ever have been. The only opposition is the growth of Twilight, the financial impact, and the popularity of these actors/actresses meaning they get jobs outside of the Twilight world.

Thank you very much David B.

That's a far clearer answer than previously given and I am grateful for the clarity that you have now provided. However, I must say as before "dangling the Rob/Taylor carrot" IS commercial genius. Ticket sales aren't generally refundable, so if people flock for the chance of meeting Rob or Taylor, tickets will sell and let's face it you and all the mods and Showmasters know it. So you get the ticket sales (and therefore money) regardless of it backfiring or not.

Once again thank you for the better and clearer answer you have provided.

Princess HanHan and Shrek (who is worried about having to buy tickets when he's just bought a new gown for me for LFCC) :D:lol:

Sorry Princess HanHan, seems we had a real big misunderstanding there. To me it sounded like you were asking about exact details, and like I said this is not something that is going to be shared. Working in a law firm you of course know that. Unfortunately we have had others asking about detailed stuff before at other shows, so it didn't seem that unbelievable that you were asking too.

Ticket sales aren't generally refundable, so if people flock for the chance of meeting Rob or Taylor, tickets will sell and let's face it you and all the mods and Showmasters know it. So you get the ticket sales (and therefore money) regardless of it backfiring or not.

Would we be talking about the first Eternal Twilight con I would probably partially agree with you there.

But meanwhile this is the 6th event, and while I am sure there may be still a couple of fans who will buy tickets on the chance to see Rob and/or Taylor there have also been quite a number of fans who said "I will wait who they get first." for one reason or another.

You'll probably think "she has to say this, she's a mod" (and that's alright), but yes, I sincerely don't believe that this carrot will make fans book like crazy.

Edited by Queen_Sindel

• Moderators

I would generally agree that the majority of people buying tickets won't simply because they believe Taylor/Rob etc will be there.

In fact, if they did but they never came, I'm pretty sure ME would lose a lot of customers, so while it may work in the short term financially .. I would say that long-term planning is more important. Build a strong customer base, and don't p!ss them off by promising the world when you can't deliver it. No point saying time and again "oh we'll try to get Taylor/Rob!" and then every time they don't deliver. Eventually people will just give up.

There's always a chance as long as ME are trying .. and I can't see them ever not bothering to try and get the biggest guests possible.

I have almost given up hope on any of the trio ever coming, I know its not Jason/Mark/ME fault, they do care and do try to make it the best experience they can... but they should stop giving hints like "a bigger hotel means alot more guests" or "early ticket sales means big guests" it gets me excited and I don't want to be disappointed lol.

Personally I see a rise in ticket prices or a hint for a 'big guest' and I think "OMG they must be close to getting a Cullen or they are trying to get money to try and get Rob I need a good ticket"

Giving hints is exciting but does leave people disappointed when there expectations aint met.

this is my first M E event but ive been to a number of other conventions and signing events. i can understand why some people are upset about having to find the money so soon but personally all the other conventions ive attended have been booked a year in advance! obviously this situation is a bit different with the twilight con's being held twice a year, but is'nt it better for the organisers to have a better idea of the numbers as soon as possible so they can budget better. ive had to miss all the previous twilight conventions cos i'd already booked up for conventions (last couple of years ive had to limit myself to one event a year) so roll on the 23rd of april, i'll definitly be booking up :smile:

just wanted to add im excited about the venue aswell. 90% of the conventions ive attended have been at the thistle (heathrow) so even though it's going to a bit more difficult for me to get there im looking forward to attending a con in a really nice hotel :WAVE:

Edited by *LYNN*

• Moderators

I have almost given up hope on any of the trio ever coming, I know its not Jason/Mark/ME fault, they do care and do try to make it the best experience they can... but they should stop giving hints like "a bigger hotel means alot more guests" or "early ticket sales means big guests" it gets me excited and I don't want to be disappointed lol.

Personally I see a rise in ticket prices or a hint for a 'big guest' and I think "OMG they must be close to getting a Cullen or they are trying to get money to try and get Rob I need a good ticket"

Giving hints is exciting but does leave people disappointed when there expectations aint met.

Well with the fact that any guests can pull out due to work committments etc, ME can only build a framework around the potential guests i.e. a bigger hotel to cope with more fans, things like that.

Twilight guests are more expensive than they were at the beginning, so higher ticket prices are necessary anyway. But they are in a far stronger position to be able to get the bigger guests now than they were back then too.

I'm sure everyone is capable of taking everything in context when ME state their intentions.

as for guestage i think it's easier for regular convention goers to have a better idea of what guests may or may not be attending. it would be amazing to meet kristen, rob OR taylor but the chances of that are pretty slim ..... but we can alway's dream :smile:

:( I understand where Jason is coming from, everything has to be thought about well in advance and to ensure we get good guests we have to get in there early.

I went to the proms in Sept 09 and have gone gold for Et4 too in Oct. I really want to got to Et5 aswell like the rest of you, and i will make the best effort i can if there was a chance we could get some of the main actors there aswell like ROB, kristen and Taylor would be fantastic.

I think everybodys in the same boat and broke at the mo so there will be tickets still available i reckon :):)

Sarah xxxx