Rail Strike?

Scoop1107

Just thought I'd make people aware of a possible rail strike clashing with this con - see link here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8586422.stm

Hopefully they'll come to an agreement beforehand, but I'm guessing if not this will affect people travelling to Northampton by train on the Friday, or earlier that week. I'm not trying to cause a panic or anything, because I don't know how it will affect services or anything like that, but just wanted to make people aware as early as possible so that they can make alternative arrangements if necessary.

I've not booked my train ticket yet, I've been asking my parents for months but they've just kept on saying 'we'll do it later in the week' and we've never actually done it. Got my ticket and hotel room ages ago though, I'd be travelling from Manchester with one change so I hope this doesn't affect my journey or anyone else's journeys too much, fingers crossed it won't :P

Edited by Doctor Who

Awww crap! D: I've looked on the National Rail website and it says that details of which services will be disrupted haven't been finalised yet and to check back often. Page is here: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disr...10/dispute.html

I really hope they can resolve this. Gah it's always sod's law to have train disruptions same time as cons!

Edited by Jemzamia

from this link it says:

Some Network Rail staff belonging to the RMT and TSSA unions have announced that they plan to take industrial action from 06:00 Tuesday 6 April to 23:59 Friday 9 April.

So it looks like, fingers crossed, getting back from the hub should be okay, it's just getting there that could have issues (that is unless they extend the strike)

Edited by lizzy88

I've just looked on the National Express and to get the bus it'd take us 8-9 hours.:P

xxx

I'm coming from Newcastle too! I don't know what's worse - spending 8 hours on a Coach or paying £130 to fly to Birmingham and getting the Coach from there!

:P I logged onto the Rail Company that i am Travelling with London Midland and they seem positive about there trains running on strike days, So check out your train company that you are travelling with and see what they say. Hopefully we will all get there safely and without to much disruption. Good Luck everyone. Julie-t :WAVE::WAVE:

:smile: I logged onto the Rail Company that i am Travelling with London Midland and they seem positive about there trains running on strike days, So check out your train company that you are travelling with and see what they say. Hopefully we will all get there safely and without to much disruption. Good Luck everyone. Julie-t :WAVE::WAVE:

I have "Plan B" worked out just in case I need to do a last minute coach booking. Fortunately I can book the tickets at my local bus station the day before if I need to.

We're going to wait and see what happens, we'll probably end up booking our tickets on the day like we did for the last Hub. It's so annoying that the strike is around the convention dates, I hope everyone can make it. If we can't get the train, I think my dad will drive us down but it's a long journey so I'm not sure, either way, I'll hopefully get there somehow. :smile:

Edited by Doctor Who

This is why I always drive to an event to make sure strikes don't hit me. I know not everyone has this possible choice, but having been hit by strikes many years ago I decided to pay a few more pounds and travel at my own schedule.

I've just looked on the National Express and to get the bus it'd take us 8-9 hours.:uhoh:

xxx

I'm coming from Newcastle too! I don't know what's worse - spending 8 hours on a Coach or paying £130 to fly to Birmingham and getting the Coach from there!

Oh jeez, thats not good! I totally draw the line at spending that amount of time on a bus, I've done it before and its awful. If you see someone hitching a lift outside central station on the Friday, that'll be me. B)

Seriously though, I hope we can all get there and safely.

xxx

I've just looked on the National Express and to get the bus it'd take us 8-9 hours.:uhoh:

xxx

Oh jeez, thats not good! I totally draw the line at spending that amount of time on a bus, I've done it before and its awful. If you see someone hitching a lift outside central station on the Friday, that'll be me. B)

Seriously though, I hope we can all get there and safely.

xxx

I'm going down on the thursday! My Easyjet flight and coach option only came to about £60 though, so it might be worth considering!