Lost Season 6 - Episode 8

DavidB

• Moderators

Lostfinalseasonverticalposter.jpg

EPISODE 8

Recon

Notes:

No pre-airing spoilers.

Once the episode has aired in the US then all discussion about the episode is fine.

Also no discussion of any 'next time on..' parts please, as many people don't watch them.

How GORGEOUS was Rebecca Mader in this episode ? Absolutely LOVED Miles and Sawyer as Starsky and Hutch, but I've sort of lost track who's where and what they are trying to achive, and the Jim Robinson strand seems very contrived.

I'm worried that we are half way through series six with a lot still to achieve - and where the hell is Desmond ? The show still oozes quality though, and even this, fairly flacid episode, is head and shoulders above 90% of telly currently in production.

Nice touches : Codeword Lafleur, Miles' "Come with me", Charlie's brother, Zoe getting caught out.

Snoozeville : Sawyer's "When I was nine years old ...." speeech AGAIN, Kate legging it, the start of a Kate / Sawyer rebound and the opening credits yet again spoiling the OMG appearance of a past character.

If 815 landed safely, we assume Widmore didn't send the freighter, and they didn't go back to the 70s. So Miles and Sawyer met as cops. So how did Miles know Charlotte, and why did Sawyer use LaFleur as his emergency word ? I assumed last week that no freighter meant that Ben raised Alex in the same way and they left the island. But now I think on it, he was Dr Linus as opposed to "dad" so did they meet recently in the "real world" ? I assume Russeau is still her mother .....

My head hurts - if the sideways flashes mean that certain things didn't happen, how do they come to still be referenced ? :( :( :P:D :D :D:(:uhoh::uhoh::uhoh:

If 815 landed safely, we assume Widmore didn't send the freighter, and they didn't go back to the 70s. So Miles and Sawyer met as cops. So how did Miles know Charlotte, and why did Sawyer use LaFleur as his emergency word ? I assumed last week that no freighter meant that Ben raised Alex in the same way and they left the island. But now I think on it, he was Dr Linus as opposed to "dad" so did they meet recently in the "real world" ? I assume Russeau is still her mother .....

My head hurts - if the sideways flashes mean that certain things didn't happen, how do they come to still be referenced ?:(:uhoh::(:uhoh::P:uhoh::D:uhoh::D:uhoh:

Ok you're totally confusing things! So, Widmore not sending the freighter isn't what is controlling everything in the Flash-sideways. The island sunk after Dharma settled there, (we're still not 100% on how it sank), and that's what causes all the differences, because Flight 815 physically can't crash there.

In last weeks episode Ben and his father talk about the island, so we know they still went there but left before it sank. Supposedly Danielle and therefore Alex never end up on the island, but once again that depends on when the island sank. Regardless, Ben and Alex meet in that time-line as teacher and student, we assume that Danielle is still her mum.

LaFleur as the codeword was probably just a nod to Dharma times as there were a lot of parallels to it. Certain things are the same because they happen before the island sunk, like Cooper conning Sawyer's dad and that's why they get referenced. But basically because of the island not existing, and we assume that would get rid of Jacob too, then all the characters lives after that point would change.

In theory, Jacob never gives a pen to little Sawyer, so Sawyer doesn't become a con-man, he becomes a cop. Little things that the characters never even realised actually shaped their lives. All the characters still meeting, despite not happening through the island, happens because it's fate. But Miles and Charlotte, and obviously Miles' dad too, know each other because one would assume they still were Dharma kids, we know they left on the sub anyway, it's just the question of how does Pierre get off the island in that time-line.

The question I have is, how did Locke end up in his wheelchair in that time-line? His dad supposedly is still a con-man, (unless in that time-line it's a different Anthony), but in Locke's episode it was hinted he got on fine with his dad and you wouldn't invite someone who pushed you out a window to your wedding! And then there's also the point of Jacob was there after he broke his spine and he appeared to actually revive Locke. If Jacob didn't exist in that moment would Locke have died? And if in that time-line Jacob doesn't exist... then Locke must have got his injury another way.

Phew! I hope that makes sense!

Makes total sense.

I think one of the thing that a lot of people need to realise(which probably leads to them getting confused) is WHEN the timelines split. People i've spoken to just seem to think it's a parallel universe, but then get confused at the like of mentioning the Dharma Initiative. The fact is the timelines obviously split after the Incident. So in both timelines Sawyer's family was still killed when he was young, Charlotte was still born on the island(which is probably why Miles said she worked with his father(Cheng), Ben was still shot as a boy and taken to the temple to be healed etc etc. It's seems to be just that during the incident when they evacuated the island, they must have never gone back and something happened to the island to sink it

Edited by JacknDaniel

I thought this episode showed real signs that the writers are starting to build to a conclusion, what that will be is anyones guess but to me it seemed that the last couple of episodes picked up the pace a bit.

It will be interesting to see if there is a simple explanation of everything at the end, just looking at the above posts, it's clear that big LOST fans are coming up with different opinions on why things are happening etc, I'd hate to think what a casual viewer must think of it all and you would hope the writers will make it an ending which will cater for everyone.

.....and yes Sawyer and Miles WOULD make a good Starsky & Hutch or another cop partnership, unfortunately it's Daniel Dae Kim that's got a role in the new Hawaii Five-O remake.

• Moderators

Regarding Desmond, I felt that maybe Widmore did something with him, and that he's in that locked place on the sub. Would be a slight nod to Anthony Cooper before, and if Widmore knows certain things about Desmond then it'd make sense to keep him with him. That and I really wouldn't put it past him.

My head hurts but the spliting of the timeline makes sense for it to be after The Incident so certain things happened and do link the original Dharma crew............now I'm sure people who are more deeply into this than me can help me out with a couple of things:

- Remind me how everyone on the island ended up back in the same time (and it is present right?)

- The people who flashed back in time, LeFleur, etc - would they still be included in the island history. So young Ben still get's shot.....well was Sawyer there as LeFleur or did they never flash back because they never went there in the first place.

.....if that makes any sense??

• Moderators

They ended up back in the same time after the white flash from the end of Season 5.

Why? No idea. They just did.

To answer that would be to answer why everything is happening really (the flash sideways etc) so that remains a mystery.

As for what has happened and hasn't happened in the 'past' - we don't know that either, as the 'flash sideways' are very ambiguous, and I don't know if we'll get a matter-of-fact explanation.

It will be interesting to see if there is a simple explanation of everything at the end, just looking at the above posts, it's clear that big LOST fans are coming up with different opinions on why things are happening etc, I'd hate to think what a casual viewer must think of it all and you would hope the writers will make it an ending which will cater for everyone.

This will sound mean, but I really hope they don't do that. I'd be annoyed if they try and aim the whole ending of the series so the casual viewers who decide to watch Desperate Housewives instead every other week can understand. We watched for 6 years straight for a reason. I don't think they will, but Damon and Carlton did say that even people who had never seen Lost before could understand this almost stand-alone season. Whether that's true or not, I don't know.

• Moderators

I think, in some ways, the leanings back towards S1 means the style of the show during S6 can appeal on a wider basis.

Obviously the show will make sense on FAR different levels at the moment. A casual/new fan could watch it now like it's a new show, like it's their S1 in some ways. I like to think that it can appeal to a wider audience, but with so many nods and 'answers' for the core audience too.

I do expect the show to kick into a higher gear and provide a lot more depth and resolution which mostly won't make any sense whatsoever to a casual viewer. And why should it? They need to cater for the people that have stuck by them since the beginning. The ones that have watched it all. We're the ones that they owe answers to, and we're the ones that the ending should be rewarding for.