Spartacus:Blood and Sand.

Avengers7

• 4 weeks later...

I believe Bravo are due to air it in the summer.

It borders on terrible but could be a guilty pleasure if there's nothing else on!

Have you seen all 12 episodes? Admittedly i've only seen up to ep 6 and I love Lucy Lawless but i'm wondering how you can justify it as terrible? :D

Yes, I've seen all of them so far, and it's definitely getting better :D

I would've worried if it had been any worse though :WINCE:

I'm just curious to why you thought it was terrible, i see you're taking a leaf out of the Lost book by being elusive ;)

An a side note DavidB did you get sat next to Mercedes McNab one year at Collectormania?

• Moderators

To be honest, a lot of shows aren't very good from the get-go and take a while to hit their stride. I just didn't think it was very well acted, nor was the story anything gripping. But they've taken the time to go a bit deeper, and it's developing from one episode to the next which is good. I was just slightly concerned it was going to be all sex and blood week after week with no point to it, but it's not quite that bad ;)

And yes I did :D

• 1 month later...

For anyone who reads this, I think its starting to air next Tuesday at 10pm on Bravo.

My friend from Ireland seems to think it will be repeated on Wednesday, lets hope he is right as SGU and V are are on, on a Tuesday and I don't have full sky+ functions yet :D

:dance:

LLAP :D

Edited by zebredy

I just didn't think it was very well acted, nor was the story anything gripping.

Just from the adverts, with John Hannah as a Scottish Roman and a selection of Kiwi Romans in support, the performances look a mess.

is everyone watching it online? i didnt think it started till next week on bravo?

humm ive set the series link, ill give it a go, but it does look like a 300 version of rome/gladiator with lots of value range cgi and b movie actors.

i did love the tv series rome and it annoys me such a good series gets canceled and this gets commisioned, makes no sense to me.

but i like sword and sandles stuff, i love stuff on the roman empire and i hear this has lots of blood and lots of sex so should be at least passable as a guilty pleasure as davidB says

I just didn't think it was very well acted, nor was the story anything gripping.

Just from the adverts, with John Hannah as a Scottish Roman and a selection of Kiwi Romans in support, the performances look a mess.

And a Welsh man in the lead role.

Right well by now you an probably tell i quite like this show so as for the different nationalities of actors: who cares? If you all wanted it to be authentic you wouldn't understand it cos it would all be in Latin or some other ancient language! As long as they are good actors which i think John Hannah and Lucy Lawless are it shouldn't matter, it's the story that's supposed to draw you in!

It's just a cross between Rome and 300 or as i like to say a more epic version of Rome about one mans life. I get it may be a bit graphic for some but i like it and it seems a fair representation of the time period.

The series started on Bravo yesterday 25th May at 10pm.

ok ive seen like 15 minutes of the first ep, will go back to it late but so far its laughable, the dialogue is atrocious "keep this close to your thigh so we can both feel warmth" or something like that being an example lol

the plot very b movieish,

the cgi world is distracting but I am enjoying the fighting scenes which verge on very graphic and comic booky. and I enjoyed the naked ladies. some of the camera angles and the way the action is shot is fun and epic but its still a laughable series and a disgrace this gets commissioned and rome got canceled, sparticus feels like rome for the lazy computer game obsessed/ attention span limited teenager lol

but yer if you want authenticity at least in terms of life, feel and look of the period then the tv series rome is your best bet, and to be honest all round its a far better series. although I get the feeling the plot will turn into a rip off of gladiator in 300 style way lol

still I might give it a few eps cos female nudity is always good and i did enjoy the fights.

I have no other words for this than smutty and gross. Will I tune in again next week? Hell yeah! LOL!! It's so awful it's good! :yoda:

Edited by JaneDoe

• 2 months later...

After the first couple which to me were just an excuse for gratuitous sex and violence, I sort of got caught up in it. I never miss it now and have so much respect for the actor Andy Whitfield (Spartacus) who has been battling cancer (NHL). Season two filming was put on hold because of this but they are making a prequel of 6 episodes that will include Andy to a lesser degree.According to Andy in a recent interview, the prequel will go back from the end of season one by 5 years then come back to that point ready for season 2 to begin.

• 1 month later...

Bad news about Andy, but as long as Manu Bennett (Crixus) is in the new series, I'll survive ;)

I am rather glad that I wasn't around on the forums when this thread was more active though. How the heck anyone can claim the story of Spartacus (a Thracian) rising against the Romans could be a 300 rip off (a story of the Greeks vs Persians with hardly a flipping Roman in sight) beggars belief. Spartacus is one of the most famous revolutionary leaders in history and the show is a fair, if not artistically licensed, version of historically recorded facts.

Yep, that would have annoyed me. The story may happened over 400 years before the Battle of Thermopylae took place and may have been more famous prior to Frank Miller's appearance (through granted, mostly thanks to Kubrick in 1960), but 300 and Rome were on the TV recently and everyone involved has a sword in his hand and sand in his hair, so it must be a ripoff :blink:

As for the actual show, I enjoyed it. It wasn't likely to win anyone an Emmy and there weren't many surprises as I already knew the story, but it was so very pretty to watch and occasionally quite funny if you understood the long words, lol. Though I'll be the first to admit that some of the CGI was shockingly bad in the first few episodes and it did seem to take a while to get into its stride. I probably only stuck with it at first because my soon-to-be-ex-husband (good riddance) wanted to watch it, but I was glad I did. I was also happy when poodle-head got killed. He was a walking advert for bag-on-head if ever there was one ;)

I read that the other day. I was gutted. Poor bloke...so young. He was at some comic con thing a few weeks back talking about how he was raring to go on season 2. Shame he's taken a down turn. I wish him all the best and hope he makes a recovery!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...