Books HELP :)

lil nightmare

So, I'm now on a short break from reading. Don't think my brain can take anymore at the moment with the rate I have been going through books! But have a large stack waiting to be read when I return to it.

On the whole children's book debate. I'm 25, married and have 2 children. Apart from Harry Potter, Twilight was the first books of this genre I had read. I was always used to reading crime stuff and typical chick lit stuff. So when I read it any enjoyed it so much I decided to broaden my reading. And I can honestly say that I have enjoyed everything that I have read children's or not. Also it's a case of finding things in this genre aimed at Adults that is as enjoyable. What I would also say is that some of the subject matter in these children's books, is not necessarily appropriate for younger children (just my opinion) I met an 11 yr old the other day who had read some of the same books as I have and I don't think that I would want my daughter reading them at that age. But maybe that's because my daughter is only 4!! I also did A level English Lang & Lit, where we read Alice in Wonderland - a classic children's book. Some books are timeless classics and I would like to be able to share some of my favorites with my daughter when she's old enough.

All I'm saying is that people read different things for different reasons and just because something is written for children doesn't make the writing quality and worse. The book can be just as good.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions on books. At the moment I have the P.C Cast Divine books and the Black Dagger Brotherhood books awaiting my attention. Will let you know what I think when I've read them.

:D

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for everyone's suggestions on books. At the moment I have the P.C Cast Divine books and the Black Dagger Brotherhood books awaiting my attention. Will let you know what I think when I've read them.

I ordered the first 6 Black Dagger Brotherhood books too after seeing them recommended on here :D but unfortunately they will have to wait until I have finished reading the Bree Tanner Book, Burned HoN and then Breaking Dawn! I have been absolutely dying to read breaking dawn, dunno how I've held back tbh, but didn't want to til I'd seen the Eclipse movie.. So close now!!

Someone actually recommended the Black Dagger Brotherhood to me back at ET3 in Feb. I brought them as I found the at 3 for £5 - bargain. Just haven't read them yet. Just finished Bree Tanner a couple of nights ago and enjoyed it. Was good to look at the fight etc from a different perspective. Just started the first HoN book, but struggling to get into. Well done you with not reading Breaking Dawn yet! I read all 4 Twilight books in less than a week and I had just had my son at the time! Not long to go.

Edited by twihard1

How did you manage to get 3 for £5. Someone told me about them before and I can't afford them yet as there's quite a few of them.

I got the in The Works and they do paperbacks at £1.99 each or 3 for £5.00. I brought all my Morganville Vampire book from there too. Only thing is that you can't guarantee that the will have all the book in correct order etc. And often each store stocks different stuff as it's not actually a proper book shop. But if there is one near you defiantly check it out, I buy loads of mine and my daughters books from there.

Cheers :YAHOO: I'll have to look into this "the Works" as I've never heard of it.

Just read My Soul To Keep which is the 3rd book in the Soul Screamers series. It’s awesome. I can’t wait for the next one. I would recommend it to anyone.

I've just started Eclipse to get ready for next weekend

I'm currently reading The Last Vampire by Christopher Pike. Am on the 4th book but still not sure what I think of it. I got two new books from Amazon which friends suggested on facebook. One is the first book from the Dark Series (I think its called) and the other is the Magician's Guild??

I'm currently reading The Last Vampire by Christopher Pike. Am on the 4th book but still not sure what I think of it. I got two new books from Amazon which friends suggested on facebook. One is the first book from the Dark Series (I think its called) and the other is the Magician's Guild??

the magicians guild is AWEEEEESOOOOMEEEE!! Read them, they're great! :angel:

Everyone on here seems to read kids books lol =[

OT - I'm reading interview with a vampire

Well if you want some Vampire with real bite then I suggest The Black Dagger Brotherhood Talie. These are definitely not kiddie books. They are very erotic but have a good storyline! They are my favourite books of all time, knocking Twilight and Harry Potter out of the water. I am very aware of the ages of people who post on these forums and don't want to recommend anything too inapproprite so tend to only recommend those aimed at young adults/teens rather than adult reading.

If you want to be scared witless though, I'd go for anything by Dean R Koontz, Stephen King (early stuff) although the Cell had me very wary about using my mobile for weeks. Although it's pure hookum, I love Dan Brown and his most recent book The Lost Symbol followed the trend set by The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons. Anything by Kate Moss makes a good read to if you like Grail lore which I do.

Just because I thought I should, I just read Bree Tanner, but think it was just a money making exercise for Meyer and her publishers.

Is that brotherhood book the one you have signed Elaine?

I actually can't stand to read Twilight atm, I'm much more into the films and the fandom, the books are cringeworthy for me (atm) but Harry Potter is my true love :angel: lol I've gone to pick up Koontz' nooks SO many times, and da vinci code is an epic book. I'm sure I have a Kate Mosee book, labyrinth I think

Don't get me started on that book lol I started reading the free copy as soon as the terms 'cheeseburger of pain' and 'bff ninja club' were written I was like wtf is this drivel she's sicked up ;)

Everyone on here seems to read kids books lol =[

OT - I'm reading interview with a vampire

My nan is a very clever woman probably the smartest person i know (and my dad is an industrial chemist, and he's smart), shes 70, and she reads every single one of the books i read (and shes read some books ive never even heard of, because they're 'granny' books, too) but she enjoys reading my books as much as i do, im 21 and even though sometimes i feel like im reading about kids because most of the main characters are usually aged 16-18 i really enjoy the stories. YA is only the category the books fall in, the readers don't have to fall into that catergory too! :angel:

(this post isnt a dig at all, just pointing out that even the most advanced readers can enjoy 'kids' books too)

Don't get me wrong I enjoy them reads too, I've always loved reading though, and it proper annoys me there aren't really any fantasy books that fall into the 20 year old category, none of the VA, HoN books stimulate me at all though and I find it so bizarre that so many people on here enjoy them lol :( I mean it must be me, but the amount of substance they lack

Talie, if you're looking for stimulus then I really do recommend the BDB books! And yes, that is the one I have signed by the author! Gutted it was through a virtual signing though, she's never been to the UK! Now she's an author that would be great for Bitten!! She's also writing another book series about Fallen Angels, again, more adult themed. The first one is called Covet and I have a spare copy if you wanna give me your details over on FB, I'll send it to you!

Heh heh I like the Dark series!

I have now finished Hush, Hush and loved it and I also finished Bree the other day too and quite enjoyed it. Very interesting to see it from someone elses point of view.

I'm wating for my other Morganville books to arrive (they're currently waiting for me to pick them up from the post office lol). Only read the 1st book so far and was absolutely desperate to get the rest. Such a great series so far!

I MUST read Eclipse yet again before next week! Eeeek soooo excited!

Whats a virtual signing?

It's when the author signs books without doing it person if that makes sense. With this author, you ordered the book with a message of what you wanted her to write, although I could think and said just write anything and so she did! A lot of authors do this because especially in the US they can only visit a certain number of places and rarely get to do signing abroad.

I'm gutted, went into town today looking for the Works only yo find it closed down.

Did find a bargin in Tesco tho. There's a Romance with Bite section and they are buy one got one free. So I got Hush Hush for a friend and Shiver for me. When I get paid next week, I'll pop back and buy the others I fancy.

i dont know if its already been sugested but :

Kelley Armstrong - Women of the otherworld series (Bitten, Stolen, Practical magic, Industrial magic, Haunted, Broken ect)

Charleen Harris -True blood series

PC Cast - House of night and her other series (divine by choice ect)

Gareth Nix - Abberhosen series ( sabrel, lirael ect)

Help, I've just finished reading the first Vampire Academy and have been looking into the rest of the series. I know I shouldn't of but I couldn't help myself, I'm buying them on Thursday and I thought a few spoiler wouldn't hurt to much. How wrong was I. Anyway I came across something and I wondered if someone can explain whats going on. The bit I read made it sound like Dimitri has gone Strigoi! If it's true how did it happen?

Cheers :lol:

Edited by ~Jenny~

I know but I couldn't help myself. It's going to kill me with not getting paid till Thursday and with it been the Eclipse weekend I know I'm not going to be able to read as much as I would like over the next week or so.

Just checking out the local library to see if they have it in. So can atleast start it tomorrow.

EDIT: Both of then don't have it on a shelf. :wub: Gutted.

Can you atleast tell me if it's a happy ending or not? :thumbup: PLEASE!

Edited by ~Jenny~