Books HELP :)

lil nightmare

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone on here seems to read kids books lol =[

OT - I'm reading interview with a vampire

Oh Interview with a Vampire. I had a stage where I read all the Anne Rice vamp books. They were great, may buy them at some point so I can read them again. I also have a soft spot for Clive Cussler's, Dirk Pitt stories

i can highly recommend "shiver" by maggie stiefvater!

its awesome!!!

After Harry Potter and Twilight, definitely one of my favourites ;):wub::wub::wub:

I'm reading the Morganvilles at the moooo, just finishing up book 6, loving them so far :P

Well if you want some Vampire with real bite then I suggest The Black Dagger Brotherhood Talie. These are definitely not kiddie books. They are very erotic but have a good storyline! They are my favourite books of all time, knocking Twilight and Harry Potter out of the water. I am very aware of the ages of people who post on these forums and don't want to recommend anything too inapproprite so tend to only recommend those aimed at young adults/teens rather than adult reading.

If you want to be scared witless though, I'd go for anything by Dean R Koontz, Stephen King (early stuff) although the Cell had me very wary about using my mobile for weeks. Although it's pure hookum, I love Dan Brown and his most recent book The Lost Symbol followed the trend set by The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons. Anything by Kate Moss makes a good read to if you like Grail lore which I do.

Just because I thought I should, I just read Bree Tanner, but think it was just a money making exercise for Meyer and her publishers.

My nan is a very clever woman probably the smartest person i know (and my dad is an industrial chemist, and he's smart), shes 70, and she reads every single one of the books i read (and shes read some books ive never even heard of, because they're 'granny' books, too) but she enjoys reading my books as much as i do, im 21 and even though sometimes i feel like im reading about kids because most of the main characters are usually aged 16-18 i really enjoy the stories. YA is only the category the books fall in, the readers don't have to fall into that catergory too! :thumbup:

(this post isnt a dig at all, just pointing out that even the most advanced readers can enjoy 'kids' books too)

Well if you want some Vampire with real bite then I suggest The Black Dagger Brotherhood Talie. These are definitely not kiddie books. They are very erotic but have a good storyline! They are my favourite books of all time, knocking Twilight and Harry Potter out of the water. I am very aware of the ages of people who post on these forums and don't want to recommend anything too inapproprite so tend to only recommend those aimed at young adults/teens rather than adult reading.

If you want to be scared witless though, I'd go for anything by Dean R Koontz, Stephen King (early stuff) although the Cell had me very wary about using my mobile for weeks. Although it's pure hookum, I love Dan Brown and his most recent book The Lost Symbol followed the trend set by The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons. Anything by Kate Moss makes a good read to if you like Grail lore which I do.

Just because I thought I should, I just read Bree Tanner, but think it was just a money making exercise for Meyer and her publishers.

Is that brotherhood book the one you have signed Elaine?

I actually can't stand to read Twilight atm, I'm much more into the films and the fandom, the books are cringeworthy for me (atm) but Harry Potter is my true love :angel: lol I've gone to pick up Koontz' nooks SO many times, and da vinci code is an epic book. I'm sure I have a Kate Mosee book, labyrinth I think

Don't get me started on that book lol I started reading the free copy as soon as the terms 'cheeseburger of pain' and 'bff ninja club' were written I was like wtf is this drivel she's sicked up :(

My nan is a very clever woman probably the smartest person i know (and my dad is an industrial chemist, and he's smart), shes 70, and she reads every single one of the books i read (and shes read some books ive never even heard of, because they're 'granny' books, too) but she enjoys reading my books as much as i do, im 21 and even though sometimes i feel like im reading about kids because most of the main characters are usually aged 16-18 i really enjoy the stories. YA is only the category the books fall in, the readers don't have to fall into that catergory too! :D

(this post isnt a dig at all, just pointing out that even the most advanced readers can enjoy 'kids' books too)

Don't get me wrong I enjoy them reads too, I've always loved reading though, and it proper annoys me there aren't really any fantasy books that fall into the 20 year old category, none of the VA, HoN books stimulate me at all though and I find it so bizarre that so many people on here enjoy them lol :( I mean it must be me, but the amount of substance they lack

I'm currently on book 8 (technically the 3rd bind up book) of Night World. I do like them but its weird cause they always have a happy ending no matter what happens its kinda crazy. You can have loads of death, blood, fights etc but in the end its always a happy ending. The other weird thing is they start and end so abruptly usually right in the middle of something and you turn the page and realise its finished.

I currently have 24 unread books on my bedside cabinate waiting to be read as well as a manuscript I've been sent by a publishers to read and give feedback to them on but while a lot of what I read would probably be classed as kids (Harry Potter) and teen books (Nought and Crosses Series, Twilight, HoN, VA) I'm fairly sure at least some of the stuff I'm reading has to be classed as older teens - young adult cos it's a little graphic and stuff (Shifters series, Kelley Armstrong, Dark Swan and Succubus Blues) I think mostly the stuff I buy I buy because it's sci-fi/fantasy genre I don't buy based on age a good story will appeal to any age. But my personal favourite of the more classical books if thats what some are looking for would have to be Thomas Hardy's Return of the Native including it's wonderous 100 page description of the heath :) but onces I've finished The Complete Works of William Shakespear I may have a new favourite to enlighten you all with. But seriously Talie can you complain about the target ages of the book suggestions on here (as that's all they are no one's forcing money out of your possession) when your best suggestion seems to have been Harry Potter, a childrens book, which although loved by all ages is still a children's book.

• Moderators

I read Mr Men and Winnie The Pooh, with the occasional Spot book. I like to lift the flaps.

Good stories stand up whatever the target age may be.

People should be allowed to read whatever they want as long as it's not crap .. not mentioning anything in particular .. some celebrity ones are awful though!

Oooo Anne Rice....

I've read everything she's ever written!! :wub:

I love her books!!

I even went to New Orleans to see some of the places mentioned in the books!!

Got pictures of her old house, which is the setting for The witches books.

Garden District... beautiful place!

I've just read Hush, Hush and I really liked it. I think I'll pre-order Crescendo sometime. The only thing is I'm not sure it will arrive in time for the Con to get signed. So I might just buy a copy there.

Planning on ordering Fallen by Lauren Kate next as it sounds like a spin off to Hush, Hush.

But first i really want to read The Twilight Saga again to get me in the mood Eclipse.

I currently have 24 unread books on my bedside cabinate waiting to be read as well as a manuscript I've been sent by a publishers to read and give feedback to them on but while a lot of what I read would probably be classed as kids (Harry Potter) and teen books (Nought and Crosses Series, Twilight, HoN, VA) I'm fairly sure at least some of the stuff I'm reading has to be classed as older teens - young adult cos it's a little graphic and stuff (Shifters series, Kelley Armstrong, Dark Swan and Succubus Blues) I think mostly the stuff I buy I buy because it's sci-fi/fantasy genre I don't buy based on age a good story will appeal to any age. But my personal favourite of the more classical books if thats what some are looking for would have to be Thomas Hardy's Return of the Native including it's wonderous 100 page description of the heath :) but onces I've finished The Complete Works of William Shakespear I may have a new favourite to enlighten you all with. But seriously Talie can you complain about the target ages of the book suggestions on here (as that's all they are no one's forcing money out of your possession) when your best suggestion seems to have been Harry Potter, a childrens book, which although loved by all ages is still a children's book.

I don't think of HP as a childrens book and I never will. The characters grew the exact same time I did, so when I was 18 I didn't consider myself as a child and I defiantly not did think of DH's as a childs book, nor OotP and HBP

For instance I doubt if HP was released now I would read it, but it didn't and they're my fave books I grew up reading, it just shocks me how many children's books adults read. That's all I was saying.

There's just something weird in my head (maybe I'm an odd ball lol) that my wee kiddie brothers mates read the same stuff as adults.

Gus & Waldo is hardly a kiddies book :wub:

Reckon I'd get banned if i posted the video? I found your book in the shop the other day and got SO excited thinking it was the love one :( lol

OT - they're not fantasy books but Dorothy Koomson is an amazing author. And phillipa greggory if you're at all interested in the Tudor period of time

Edited by Talie

The Harry Potter books aren't kids books? Weird how many kids read them then and that they have different covers for kids and shamefaced older kids . . . weird . . .

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/02/books/re...les-t.html?_r=1 Notable children's books of 2007? Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows? Now this is getting really weird!

Edited by jazz5490

The Harry Potter books aren't kids books? Weird how many kids read them then and that they have different covers for kids and shamefaced older kids . . . weird . . .

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/02/books/re...les-t.html?_r=1 Notable children's books of 2007? Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows? Now this is getting really weird!

I don't think of HP as a childrens book and I never will.

Not a big deal though lac.gif Sorry if I offended you :S You should know I wouldn't wanna **** folk off, especially not you :S

Edited by Talie

Ah well, I am one of the shamefaced kids then :wub:

Everytime a new book is released, we end up with an adult and a childs copy for our house. The kids get to read them first - since they were JK Rowlings intended audience - then I have to wait until they are finished :(

Thankfully this is only ever a few days :D

Happy reading guys :D Kids books, or books for "kid-like" adults :D Who cares? Great books :D

Haha my wee brother had to wait until I finished them, nae chance did he get his hands on them first, but I usually read them over the night anyway.

Though he left my first edition OotP in the rain and I wanted to karate chop him :wub:

Haha my wee brother had to wait until I finished them, nae chance did he get his hands on them first, but I usually read them over the night anyway.

Though he left my first edition OotP in the rain and I wanted to karate chop him :P

Sorry Talie had to giggle but when you said karate chop him, Tenacious D's Karate Chop came into my head and I could imagine you stood there in a karate pose. God my imagination is alittle wild at times lol