Better Than Life Event Cancellation

Massive Events

• Showmasters Admin

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond our control, we are having to cancel the Better Than Life event that was to be held on 9th to 11th July 2010.

There are several reasons behind this, including most notably a legal issue that we had hoped to be able to resolve. However, that has not been possible and so unfortuantely we are not able to move forward with the event.

We had hoped to avoid taking this action, and have been working for quite a while to find a way round it. Obviously last years event was a lot of fun and we were looking forward to making this years event even better. We find it very sad that we are prevented from doing that by legal issues with the production company that did not seem to matter last year. However, all we can assume is that now they feel Red Dwarf is popular again they want to keep control and not allow us to run an event for a show we love and that would give us all a really fun weekend.

We would like to make it clear that The Park Inn have nothing to do with this and have always been most gracious hosts. Anyone who has a room booked with them will receive a refund of any money that they may have paid.

We would also like to make it clear that ALL ticket sales will be refunded IN FULL over the course of the next 2 weeks.

Once again, we are really disappointed that due to circumstances beyond our control we cannot run the event this year. Please be assured that should we be able to find a way round the issue preventing us from proceeding we will look at running an event in the future and further to that we will ensure that all those who have booked will be looked after by way of a thank you for your support and apology for the inconvenience caused.

Thank you all so much for your support and we hope that we will be able to see you at a future event.

Mark and Jason

That's a real shame as the first event was really enjoyable . Hopefully an agreement may be reached that will allow you to run another at a future date.

Would be nice to see Chloe/Chris/Craig/Hattie/Norman/Robert/etc at some Collectormania/LFCC events this year.

dear mark and Jason,

Please could you email me on Sthomas05@hotmail.co.uk as the bank account I used to purchase the two tickets paid for myself and Richard Mullen has been closed < i will email on a personal email my new bank details

many Thanks

Sarah Thomas

• Moderators

dear mark and Jason,

Please could you email me on Sthomas05@hotmail.co.uk as the bank account I used to purchase the two tickets paid for myself and Richard Mullen has been closed < i will email on a personal email my new bank details

many Thanks

Sarah Thomas

You might be better off emailing them - they may or may not see it here.

dear mark and Jason,

many Thanks

Sarah Thomas

I have in the past emailed but to date never had reply, do you think it would be ok to call office to let them know? :dance:)

Shame, the first one was great and was hoping to go to this too.

Hope you're able to run it at a later date, and if not, get some more Red Dwarf guests at signing events.

dear mark and Jason,

many Thanks

Sarah Thomas

I have in the past emailed but to date never had reply, do you think it would be ok to call office to let them know? :whistling:)

Make sure it's the shop email though (the one David posted) not the office one (the one ending showmasters.com) - it'll be the shop dealing with refunds and they'll be the one with your details.

I understand the reasons for this. Last year I was one of the few that went to both this (the unofficial) and the other (the official).

The Official event is fully supported by GN which, not only is run as a charity, but I have to be honest and say has the edge on the Showmasters event last year.

I wont go into the reasons for this, but my thinking is that as this year the 2 events were proposed to be within 2 weeks of each other didn’t help Showmasters cause.

I can understand where GN are coming from and given time I think SM could probably of put on an on par or even better event that the official crew.

But they were always going to struggle as Showmasters seem to of developed a bit of a following with people whearas the official event demonstrates a different format which is naturally going to appeal to a more wider range of people, which is fine as in many ways it separates the 2 different products.

For example, Showmasters RD event:- Autos and Photo shoots = Brilliant

Saturday night entertainment:- Appalling

Official RD event:- Autos and Photoshoots = below average

Saturday night entertainment:- Fantastic

But, Showmasters do not promote themselves as ‘Sat night entertainers’ (with the worst DJ ever on the decks) but they promote themselves as auto collectors etc and they do this well.

The other guys do it the other way around and it works well.

Ultimately, it is a shame this happened, but in my eyes it was always likely to happen.

Edited by Duke

I understand the reasons for this. Last year I was one of the few that went to both this (the unofficial) and the other (the official).

The Official event is fully supported by GN which, not only is run as a charity, but I have to be honest and say has the edge on the Showmasters event last year.

I wont go into the reasons for this, but my thinking is that as this year the 2 events were proposed to be within 2 weeks of each other didn’t help Showmasters cause.

I can understand where GN are coming from and given time I think SM could probably of put on an on par or even better event that the official crew.

But they were always going to struggle as Showmasters seem to of developed a bit of a following with people whearas the official event demonstrates a different format which is naturally going to appeal to a more wider range of people, which is fine as in many ways it separates the 2 different products.

For example, Showmasters RD event:- Autos and Photo shoots = Brilliant

Saturday night entertainment:- Appalling

Official RD event:- Autos and Photoshoots = below average

Saturday night entertainment:- Fantastic

But, Showmasters do not promote themselves as ‘Sat night entertainers’ (with the worst DJ ever on the decks) but they promote themselves as auto collectors etc and they do this well.

The other guys do it the other way around and it works well.

Ultimately, it is a shame this happened, but in my eyes it was always likely to happen.

they dont do photo shoots, thats me out then

shame BTL was cxl, please get them to cm16 or lfcc

Thats a shame as I did enjoy last years event & enjoyed Bedford, but I do understand. What I do think is a real shame is the amount of work you will have put into this event that will have come to naught. For that you do have my sympathy.

On the plus side for me, I will have to check my bank account now as I could really do with the money so that will be a welcome addition!

Once again, so sorry all the effort you have put in is now for nothing.