Better Than Life Event Cancellation

Massive Events

• 3 weeks later...

I had so much fun last year and was really looking forward to this year's event. I notice that there is no mention of hoping to hold the event some other time so it must be a really big issue that they can't get over. What a shame!!

Now I owe my other half a Birthday present!!

I'm still hoping that some form of agreement can be reached, enabling the event to be held at a future date, even if it's next year some time.

agreed

though its strange how a RD con cant be run but other higher profile shows can, strange the producers is it? have put a block on it, and a shame, i was really up for this one

I'm still hoping that some form of agreement can be reached, enabling the event to be held at a future date, even if it's next year some time.

agreed

though its strange how a RD con cant be run but other higher profile shows can, strange the producers is it? have put a block on it, and a shame, i was really up for this one

Pure conjecture on my part, I am guessing that the owners/studios/etc of the likes of Stargate/Star Trek/Torchwood/Twighlight/etc see unofficial conventions as good promotion for the shows and a means to help maintain interest with exisitng fanbases, whilst hopefully attracting new fans. Unfortunately it appears in the case of Red Dwarf, they view unofficial events as a detrimental effect which is a huge shame. I would of thought the more the merrier!

I don't know what the production company's problem is apart from being total killjoys. Danny and Chloe were sorry and shocked to hear that the event had been cancelled (and why!), not least because they had such a good time last year. Apparently, all the guests who attended got an e-mail shortly afterwards saying that the production company would prefer them not to do any more unofficial events. Probably not surprisingly, no one took any notice.

Anyway, on to slightly brighter things (I hope). Filming of the new series of Red Dwarf starts in October and should be on TV next spring so we have that to look forward to. Just hope it's better than series 8 ..........

The Official event is fully supported by GN which, not only is run as a charity, but I have to be honest and say has the edge on the Showmasters event last year.

I'd imagine the charity factor is quite important. Look at it this way - half the fans go to one event, half go to the other. Charity gets less money.

Also dare I say it, the production company doesn't have many other properties to play with - the big boys in the TV/Movie industry do. It's not unerasonable for them to be protective.

• Showmasters Admin

sorry everyone

but this has really upset me so much

we are fans all of us and we have been behind Red dwarf for years and to be told not to run the event or legal action would be taken i felt was so heavy handed with us it was crazy , to now be told the official fan club event is canceled is just crazy .

we ran our event last year and lost money , we did not care at all it was our first RD event and it was fun , we did not do it the same at the Fan club which is fine as we did not want to copy anyone we wanted to just do our own thing , also when we told everyone we were going to run the RD Event no other event was happening at that time then the Fan club put there event on which was fine by us but to be stopped and then now there is now event this year is just silly.

we did not have the help of the Fan club mailing list and we did not have the might of the production behind us ether and we had 250 fans attend , we know that we could have built this up and this would have meant that we would have been able to grow the con to a much bigger event .

all in all if the official fan club is not going to run an event then please just let us look after the fans and we are all fans here and have helped to keep Red dwarf alive when it was off the air

there is room for two events but now we have none so lets see if we can get our event back , if you feel like us then please let them know you want us to run this event

i just had to say something on this matter

i hope you can see were we are coming from

jason :D

there is room for two events but now we have none so lets see if we can get our event back , if you feel like us then please let them know you want us to run this event

How exactly are we meant to let them know? Do you have any contact details that you can share with us?

How exactly are we meant to let them know? Do you have any contact details that you can share with us?

Just type in 'Red Dwarf Official Site' on Google.

Just type in 'Red Dwarf Official Site' on Google.

Alternatively, click here for the official Red Dwarf website.

Update

I've done a bit of digging around and have found some contact information.

You can write to them at:

Helen Norman

Shepperton Studios

Studios Road

Shepperton

Middx

United Kingdom

Tel: 01932-592175

If you want to see where I got this info from, click here

I also found a Fan Club group on facebook which you can access at this address: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/gr...&ref=search

Hope that all helps.

Edited by dwarfbabe

Update

I've done a bit of digging around and have found some contact information.

You can write to them at:

Helen Norman

Shepperton Studios

Studios Road

Shepperton

Middx

United Kingdom

Tel: 01932-592175

If you want to see where I got this info from, click here

I also found a Fan Club group on facebook which you can access at this address: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/gr...&ref=search

Hope that all helps.

Thanks, nice work! I will dig out my pen and paper tomorrow.

I don't know how many people still come on to this particular section of the forums so it may be worth while using Facebook and Twitter to encourage some more to write.

We need to reach as many people as we can.

What does anyone else think?

• 5 weeks later...
If you'd like there to be another event, you can write to the production company.
I haven't had a reply back yet. Did you send anything, receive a reply?

I did but haven't had a reply yet. I'm thinking about writing again and also seeing if I can find them on FB.

• 3 weeks later...