Who would be willing to pay more for even bigger and better guests?

to be honest - no...

my maximum is £25 per autograph/photoshoot... i go to alot of events, not just showmasters, and not being made of money have to pick and choose who i meet... over the years this has meant not meeting guests that i wanted to, not because of price just the amount of guests...

so, until i get a massive pay rise or win the lottery, i'll be sticking with the £25 guests and being selective...

people who do have the money - congratulations... everyone else will just have to take it on the chin or take it as a kick in the b***s!

darryl

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about selling high priced tickets for a set number of guaranteed autographs at the beginning of the day (to essentially secure the guest)and then a normal rate for those prepared to go into a virtual queuing system but run the risk of not necessarily getting an autograph later in the day?

I'm sure that there are ways and means around the situation to ensure that everyone is in with a shot to see a special guest. I know that I wouldn't be too upset to know that I paid £350 for a guaranteed autograph from a guest but that someone who was prepared to take a risk of not getting it only had to pay £25 later in the day.

or indeed how many HF would be prepared to sign in a day

This I think would be the sticking point - no way on earth is HF going to sit for a day signing autographs. An hour, maybe. And I can't see him doing it unless it was part of some huge charity deal (which is fine with me, but SM are a business).

Edited by MikeDonovan

Harrison Ford did do an(US) event once..............back in 1980!!

Part of me says I'd pay stupid money (partly becuase his and Lucas's are the only main sigs missing from my poster) but in real life he's not the most interactive guy around so would spoil it abit.

I do remember Christopher Lee being advertised at £40 at LFCC a few years ago and there didn't seem to be this kind of uproar then.

Astronaughts charge high prices and again if that's your think then you'd pay it and not moan like some of the people on here.

As for there not being any cute blokes at Autographica a per a previous post - what about us attendees!!??

Harrison Ford did do an(US) event once..............back in 1980!!

Part of me says I'd pay stupid money (partly becuase his and Lucas's are the only main sigs missing from my poster) but in real life he's not the most interactive guy around so would spoil it abit.

I do remember Christopher Lee being advertised at £40 at LFCC a few years ago and there didn't seem to be this kind of uproar then.

Astronaughts charge high prices and again if that's your think then you'd pay it and not moan like some of the people on here.

As for there not being any cute blokes at Autographica a per a previous post - what about us attendees!!??

I think Lee's late announcement stopped a lot of the 'that's outrageous!!' comments - at the point he was announced you were pretty much coming or not (and Elijah Wood was there, that probably took a lot of the atention!)

No cute blokes at Autographica - I included the attendees in that comment :D

I

Harsh!! :( (but possibly fair!) - and I'd only charge a coffee or a cake for my autograph (I was in an episode of Poirot once!!)

Count - if you're as old as me as I suspect you are (mid 30's) then cute is a distant memory!!

However I like the term dashing!

I

Harsh!! :( (but possibly fair!) - and I'd only charge a coffee or a cake for my autograph (I was in an episode of Poirot once!!)

Count - if you're as old as me as I suspect you are (mid 30's) then cute is a distant memory!!

I think it is a more fitting term for Gentleman of our vintage, possibly with a hint of distinguished in there for good measure!

There are certain people I would be willing to pay a max of £75 for a signature.

Photoshoots on the other hand I would pay up to £150, maybe more depending on who it was.

If a guest was big bucks and the two where on offer, I would go for the photoshoot over the autograph for big money.

If I'm paying a ton I would rather have a picture with the guest than just a quick signature.

Some examples of this are:

Scarlett Johansson

Samuel L Jackson

Robert Downey Jr

Hugh Laurie

Harrison Ford

Jack Nicholson

To name a few.

I would pay more than normal SM prices for people like Olivia Wilde and Robert Sean Leonard too, but not as much as the people above as they are just people I really really like and not exactly massive massive A-listers that would be near impossible to get.

So yes SM, if you got certain people, you would get massive monies from me :YAHOO:

No cute blokes at Autographica - I included the attendees in that comment :YAHOO:

Harsh!! :D (but possibly fair!) - and I'd only charge a coffee or a cake for my autograph (I was in an episode of Poirot once!!)

I think it is a more fitting term for Gentleman of our vintage, possibly with a hint of distinguished in there for good measure!

Look at it this way - both Daniel Craig and Hugh Jackman are in their 40s now, and I'll bet not many of these early 20s girlies would turn them down!

Anyway, I'm not sure how I feel about mid 30s being described as old :D

I'd be willing to spend £35 and even more than that on an auto (although budget wise I'd never want to spend any more than £50-60) if it was a guest that I REALY wanted to meet. I completely understand that bigger guests are going to cost more, it's just the way things go.

Edited by Laurenx

This can go either way, either certain guests charge more so we all get bigger names or guests know they can charge more so less attendees that could affect future shows, I think it HAS to be a big name and a rare signer. :(

Someone like Patrick Stewart might rethink his £25 charge if he comes back - that's plausible. But some people on this board seem convinced that Jeremy Bulloch and Colin Baker are suddenly going to be charging £50 for their autos. It's ludicrous. Their queues are like the queues outside a vegetarian restaurant in Lebanon as it is.

Yeah, I'd pay more for some A list types...especially if it meant the cons would filter out some of those pesky kids and the trailer-trash. :(

What you mean a con for us grown ups?

That is why the good Lord gave us Autographica!

Oh dear oh dear oh dear. This is a very slippery slope.

And I am quite offended to be honest. I started doing these kind of events from Collectormania 4 because there was a wide range of guests - some of them being from Buffy. I was young at the age of 16/17 but I am offended by pretty much being called a pesky kid (maybe not what people meant but I feel like its aimed at me) from C4 I did attend mostly because of the younger age tv stars but I am also a massive fan of '60s TV and '80s films. I have attended 'other'events because SM hasn't got the guests from cult stuff that I like to see and if Autographica were more local to me I would attend it.

I like 'grown up' stuff as well as younger Buffy type stuff. I know a lot of older people 40ish that only go to events with Buffy type guests.

Please don't treat us all like that. I would sell my soul to meet Patrick Mcnee but I guess thats never going to happen.

I also think it's not down to who would be willing to pay for bigger and better guests. People have different opinions as to who would be a better guest. Like I said, I would happily pay anything to meet Mr Mcnee but it also doesn't mean that I can afford to. Being young also means that I don't have a proper job yet that can let me go to these events and pay the earth for most of the guests.

Sorry but I was quite offended at some of the comments in this thread at time of writing.

Bunny.

Someone like Patrick Stewart might rethink his £25 charge if he comes back - that's plausible. But some people on this board seem convinced that Jeremy Bulloch and Colin Baker are suddenly going to be charging £50 for their autos. It's ludicrous. Their queues are like the queues outside a vegetarian restaurant in Lebanon as it is.

I'm not sure anyone has suggested such a thing, the top rate might change but I'm sure they both know they are common enough on the circuit to not demand the top rate.

Tom and Peter are now £15 though, a few years ago they were £10

I don't think you can really set a limit, it's all down to an individual's desire to meet someone and get their autograph. (finances permitting of course)

Now take Kurt Russell for example, loads of people including me would like to see him at a SM's event and would pay good money for the privilege. So say I set myself a limit of £35 for all autographs. I then happily start off collecting Big Trouble in Little China autographs on a nice shiny BTILC poster throughout this year and it's got all the actors already announced along with a few more such as Kim Cattrall.

Now, next year comes along and Kurt gets announced, yay, I can get my poster 'completed', then comes the news that Kurt wants £50 to sign a poster. Am I gonna stick to my £35 limit, no way!! but someone else in different circumstances might not.

Obviously it all boils down to money in the end and what you want to do with it. In answer to the original question, I'd pay major money for that one elusive guest that means a lot to me but who that is will hugely depend on your own individual preferences.

In this instance I think SM might have to break their 'wont know the names till they are finalised' rule.

Maybe with certain people that would cost them LOADS maybe they could put out some feelers and prices for that person and see if it was viable to book them.

If they say got quotes from a few agents, then made a poll saying:

Who of these X people would you most like to meet?

What would be the maximum you would pay for an autograph? (with choices)

What would be the maximum you would pay for a photoshoot? (with choices)

Then see if the risk would be worth taking with a big guest at a bigger price.

Yeah, I'd pay more for some A list types...especially if it meant the cons would filter out some of those pesky kids and the trailer-trash. :D

And I am quite offended to be honest. I started doing these kind of events from Collectormania 4 because there was a wide range of guests - some of them being from Buffy. I was young at the age of 16/17 but I am offended by pretty much being called a pesky kid (maybe not what people meant but I feel like its aimed at me) from C4 I did attend mostly because of the younger age tv stars but I am also a massive fan of '60s TV and '80s films. I have attended 'other'events because SM hasn't got the guests from cult stuff that I like to see and if Autographica were more local to me I would attend it.

I like 'grown up' stuff as well as younger Buffy type stuff. I know a lot of older people 40ish that only go to events with Buffy type guests.

Please don't treat us all like that. I would sell my soul to meet Patrick Mcnee but I guess thats never going to happen.

I also think it's not down to who would be willing to pay for bigger and better guests. People have different opinions as to who would be a better guest. Like I said, I would happily pay anything to meet Mr Mcnee but it also doesn't mean that I can afford to. Being young also means that I don't have a proper job yet that can let me go to these events and pay the earth for most of the guests.

Sorry but I was quite offended at some of the comments in this thread at time of writing.

Bunny.

Its called banter dear, don't take the world so seriously!

Yeah, I'd pay more for some A list types...especially if it meant the cons would filter out some of those pesky kids and the trailer-trash. :D

Bunny.

Its called banter dear, don't take the world so seriously!

I wasn't taking it epically seriously, I was just offended.

I think showmasters are mostly fair with the prices, £15-20 or occasionally £25 for a big guest isn't too bad. I am not interested in meeting William Shatner but can understand people being annoyed that he is more expensive.

My personal belief is that if Showmasters have an opportunity to get a huge guest they would take it even if it does mean charging more to cover their costs. That said, I would pay more to meet people like Sarah Michelle Gellar and Evan Rachel Wood. No question about that :D