Who would be willing to pay more for even bigger and better guests?

There is so much negativity on here regarding an autograph being £35 - I was just really curious, as to whether there are more people out there like me, who would happily spend even more on an autograph, if it meant we got huge A list guests appearing?

I'd happily spend more if the name was right - are there any others out there who feel the same?

(As there are already several topics/posts regarding one certain guests price - any chance this could just be a general sounding board, rather than an opportunity to complain!!).

Mods; apologies if this topic is inappropriate or in the wrong place.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would, quite happily. I'm not even sure what the ceiling would be - if Jason announced Harrison Ford tomorrow at £350 I'd be first in the queue with a pile of posters. I am sympathetic to the fact that not all people have equally sized wallets. But personally I would far rather meet people than not, and if, for example, £50 is what it takes then that's fine with me.

We've had this out before, and people come up with stupid arguments that amount to "If we get Kurt Russell for £50, Dave Prowse and Jeremy Bulloch will start charging £50 too". Gibberish.

Edited by MikeDonovan

• Moderators

Under the right circumstances, I certainly would.

I think it'd come down to each individual guest to be honest, based on what they mean to me personally.

It's very rarely just the 'autograph' that makes it worth the money for me - which is probably why I've got a Shatner photo shoot - but yes, if it means we get the opportunity to meet those we never thought we would .. I think it's necessary.

I would do and have done, for those like me who collect Astronaut autographs you are usually looking at a £40 minimum for anyone who flew in the Mercury, Gemini or Apollo eras and sometimes those fees can rise above £100. I believe Buzz Aldrin's current signing fee is $350 and he still commands healthy sized queues at the events he does.

Personally its about choice for me, I'd rather Showmasters made the top names available, even if it is at a higher price, then I can make the decision for myself as to whether I think it is worth it.

*caugh* Richard Dean Anderson or Viggo Mortensen *caugh*

To quote Val Kilmer in Top Gun (1986): "*cough* Bulls**t! *cough*"

Which reminds me, how much was he asking?

Edited by nicky

Yeah, I'd pay more for some A list types...especially if it meant the cons would filter out some of those pesky kids and the trailer-trash. :thumbup:

What you mean a con for us grown ups? Personally I think it's funny when people like John Hurt are announced and people on here complain because they wanted a buffy guest!!!

I would've paid more at another event for Mark Hamill and many people did - the queue was massive and to be fair he's hardly A-List material.

Could you imagine the line for Harrison Ford, Robert De Niro, Bruce Willis etc (all impossible I know but in theory).

I know that Ford does private signings and charges $350 a shot.

There is so much negativity on here regarding an autograph being £35 - I was just really curious, as to whether there are more people out there like me, who would happily spend even more on an autograph, if it meant we got huge A list guests appearing?

I'd happily spend more if the name was right - are there any others out there who feel the same?

(As there are already several topics/posts regarding one certain guests price - any chance this could just be a general sounding board, rather than an opportunity to complain!!).

Mods; apologies if this topic is inappropriate or in the wrong place.

I am pleased that you raised this. I appreciate that not everyone has the available cash. Luckily I am in a fortunate position now that I can spend more on my hobby.

I collect original series Star Trek and have been to the USA twice to get autographs. The price their is double and more what you would pay at Collectormania etc..Even the photo shoots are twice if not more.

So yes I would gladly pay more for big guests here - Then I wouldn't have the expense of going to the States etc...

Yeah, I'd pay more for some A list types...especially if it meant the cons would filter out some of those pesky kids and the trailer-trash. :thumbup:

What you mean a con for us grown ups?

That is why the good Lord gave us Autographica!

But Autographica is low on the cute men quotient.... :unsure:

I keep asking myself why would people start the whole auto thing if they aren't prepared to spend more than a tenner? It seems very odd to me - you have the choice of cheap comon autos (or those from the archetypal third stormtrooper from the left) or forking out for the bigger/rarer guests. Not rocket science, surely? Whilst I'd be a bit eek at $350 for Ford, I'd find some way of paying it as it's not going to get cheaper or more common to have him sign things.

And haven't we had this discussion before somewhere? It all seems very deja vu

I'm a struggling student at the moment so I wouldn't be able to afford it even if I wanted too.

If it was someone like Helena Bonham Carter or Johnny Depp, Robert Pattinson, Kristen Stewart then I probably would get a photo shoot with them no matter how much it cost. Oh yeah add Jensen and Jared to the list.

I'll sell DVDs on Ebay to get the cash.

I spend probably 60-70% of my disposable income of signings/events, but I think even I'd have to draw the line if Harrison was more than £200. In fact I'd probably get out of the game completely. It wouldn't be fun anymore.

Edited by TerraHawk

But there probably be no other way to get something signed by bigger guests as they will need to charge more for costs. I wouldnt get out of the game kk I have cut down on autographs, just by getting ones I would like, but it would be great to get bigger names and new guests instead of the old same ones.

A listers like Harrison Ford, Johnny depp and others that have been mentioned would NEVER do a autograph collectors show.

they don't need to - they can command millions of $$$$$ for a film so they don't have to meet their fans at a convention.

it would never ever happen.

so it is a waste of time even talking about it.

To be fair to SM/ME - they do their best all year to try to bring us the best guests available for anniversaries etc.

Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine the Alien saga collection we had a couple of years back or Christopher Lloyd coming to our events, but they pulled it out the hat.

For the slightly obscure guests - Johnny Depp, HBC, Tim Burton, etc - I go to the premieres and I appreciate that not everyone can. I sincerely hope that one day they will learn how good our events are and come along.

Yes I would pay for the right guests but until they come - I'll get them for free whenever possible. Without the premieres I've been to - I never would've known about SM (thanks Christa, Meg, Emma and Roxy) - the events run have been awesome and I'm proud to be crew now.

My (more than) two pennies worth.

Michelle

I don't know how likely this is ever going to be and like others I recall a similar topic being posted a while back.

It would be interesting to one day put it to the test, i.e. for SM to find out how much it would cost to book the likes of Harrison Ford, determine how much an autograph will cost and how many tickets they would need to sell to make it worth their while (or indeed how many HF would be prepared to sign in a day) and then do a pre-book system with him only being booked if the tickets are all sold by a given date.

I have at least 3 items that I would like HF to sign and would imagine people coming from all over the world for the opportunity (I know I would go to the States if it could be recommended to see him at an event).