Cosplay

Gojira

(holy cow I can post!)

It's a bit of a pity that everyone will be bombing off down to London. I went to it once but was let down buy London itself; its a terrifying place! Plus with all the other cosplayers you're a bit lost in a sea of cartoon characters. Also it's a bit of an expensive trip for me.

I'll be coming as my original character; Khaazbaar ( a car-monster :wub:) and my friend has made an Umbreon Gijinka costume.

I guess the cosplayers could unofficially buddy up at the event if there isn't a masquerade but I understand with a lack of people it'd be silly putting it on. Changing rooms would be nice though! A sizeable toilet is fine too though XD.

And erm... will there be any lockers we can use onsite? To put away are normal clothes/ belongings? My suit is quite bulky and I thinking going on public transport will be a bit of a nuisance.

I also know of a fursuiter coming to.

Edited by AmethystLongcat

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amethyst:

No one has been to an event here yet, so info is a bit limited so far.

But, there will undoubtably be a variety of toilets around the event. There may also be lockers or something similar but as of now we have no idea.

Hopefully we can get some info nearer the time from Showmasters *hint hint nudge nudge*.

We always manage something though :D

Hi where am I supposed to sign, & who is SM?

I would be so upset if there was no comp after spending 4 months making my costume & the endless hard sewing work & beading work i've done on my big dress.

I think if it was better organized & advertised then there would be interest, people last year were getting very frustrated trying to find the organizer & some gave up.

I recentley went to an event in Telford called MidlandsExpo on the 20th Feb, I just went to check it out & there were loads of people dressed up because the website for the event had a section advertised just for cosplays & had info posted there & was advertised well in advance for people to see.

If it was a proper more well organized event & an advert put up on the Collectormaina 16 website then people would know.

If it's not up there for people to see that theres a competition there won't be many people attending it.

Anyway if you could send me the link i'm supposed to sign then that would be great.

Thanks

Firstly, SM is Showmasters, the people who run these events.

As for the last Milton Keynes, the usual organiser for the cosplay (Turkfox) could not make it so she had to organise someone else to do it in her stead.

I dont see how anyone could not find the cosplay, it was literally the desk you saw when you walked into the stadium lol Part of the same place that the SM organisers booth was. Literally feet inside the entrance.

Last year wasnt the best situation for anyone, but I felt Rickman101 made the best of the situation and ran a good event. I was there on the sunday and was a judge and we had some great cosplay. But we also didnt have that many cosplayers at the event in general.

SM are making an effort to push the cosplay to the fore a bit more these days. All the websites for the events have the cosplay advertised so I dont know what else they can do. Also when cosplay is defo being run at an event the thread is stickied so anyone visiting the forum for that event can see it.

As for the other event you mentioned 1) You are not allowed to mention events run by other comapanies by name, so just a heads-up for future posts.

And 2) Those events are very much based around cosplay/fandom with guests being a secondary thing. Whereas these events are orientated towards guests and signing with cosplay and other aspects of fandom being secondary.

Like I said, SM are bringing these other aspects, especially cosplay, to the forefront more and trying to get more people to participate. I can see how lots of work going into a costume for an event only to have the cosplay itself be unsure would annoy you, but you have to think about the priorities of the organiser.

Also, as you mentioned the other organiser, I will take this oppertunity to say that they are holding an event in London the same weekend as this one, and that the majority of the whole country's cosplayers will be there.

Im sure after advice from people SM have taken that into consideration.

Cheers! :D

Edited by BeatrixKiddo88

The masquerade has provisionally been arranged for the Monday. Please don't argue this point - if it happens, it will be on the Monday, full stop.

fletcher763 - since you seem to have such a problem with how we run things, perhaps you shouldn't participate? You've done nothing but complain since last year, no matter how many times the situation has been explained to you. If you have anything more to say, please email me at turkfoxnetwork@googlemail.com as I'm not prepared to argue with you on the forum.

Edited by TurkFox

• 2 weeks later...

The masquerade has provisionally been arranged for the Monday. Please don't argue this point - if it happens, it will be on the Monday, full stop.

Well thats helpfull. I was gonna mention that I think a lot more people will go monday coming back from London. Thats when I'm going because a lot more internet buds will be there to meet up with.

Poor Turkfox, I feel for you; all these nutty costumed people shouting at you. XD

Poor Turkfox, I feel for you; all these nutty costumed people shouting at you. XD

If you think this is bad, you should see some of emails I've had! Most people are polite and such, but there are the odd ones out and a few repeat offenders! :thumbup:

If you think this is bad, you should see some of emails I've had! Most people are polite and such, but there are the odd ones out and a few repeat offenders! :wub:

Wow what a dumb thing to get angry over.

I would love to get involved with the Cosplay aspect of CM though I'm restricted with my size and the fact that I can't sew to save my life. lol

I have loved dressing up ever since I was a kid. I try and talk friends into Fancy Dress for parties but have no takers. I adore Samhain (Halloween) and try and put together a really well thought-out and different costume to everyone else.

I've been looking on ebay for costumes in larger sizes but aren't happy with the ones on there. I would love one that's that little bit different than anything you'd get in a shop. For Example...I love the idea of wearing Jadzia Dax's Wedding outfit. I wonder if that would be easy to make and whether I could talk my aunt into making it for me?

Does anyone know of any costume designers/makers who I could contact. Ideally I can't spend more than £100 on it as I've spent a fortune on plane flights and the hotel as I'm coming from Jersey (Channel Island).

Oh.....and I know you guys don't know me from Adam (who's Adam....oh yeah...that guy on Torchwood lol). But if anyone wants to store their clothes etc in my hotel room I can only assure you that I'm trustworthy and won't be filling my suitcase with everyone's gear (can you imagine the extra charges at the airport check-in) lmao

Anyway....hope to get some advice from the pro's when it comes to Cosplay.

Oh, and I'm going home on the Monday so couldn't join in this Masquerade whatever it is....but I'm just really wanting to dress up anyway. Plus it'll look good in my Klingon Photo-shoot. hehehe

Love and Light, Star xx

I would love to get involved with the Cosplay aspect of CM though I'm restricted with my size and the fact that I can't sew to save my life. ...

I have problems with my size and silly shape aswell. I think getting stuff under £100 made is going to be impossible. If you're not good at sewing have you ever thought of a simple costume then buying something as a base then using that as a starting point and adding bits hear and there? If you really didn't want to sew I guess some strong fabric glue would work.

Yeah, I think my only option for a unique outfit would be to work on a base and add to it. I could possibly use some kind of fabric glue or something. Or maybe ask my aunt nicely if she could help if it wasn't too much work.

Time to get hunting in the charity shops for possible items I can cannibalise into some kind of creation. lol.

If anyone else has any idea's I'm very grateful. lol

Yeah, I think my only option for a unique outfit would be to work on a base and add to it. I could possibly use some kind of fabric glue or something. Or maybe ask my aunt nicely if she could help if it wasn't too much work.

Time to get hunting in the charity shops for possible items I can cannibalise into some kind of creation. lol.

If anyone else has any idea's I'm very grateful. lol

Wear a Spy Mask with character on it. ????. PROFIT!

Oh and they're maybe two other possible cosplayers coming with me now :D

Edited by AmethystLongcat

• 4 weeks later...

I would love to get involved with the Cosplay aspect of CM though I'm restricted with my size and the fact that I can't sew to save my life. lol

I have loved dressing up ever since I was a kid. I try and talk friends into Fancy Dress for parties but have no takers. I adore Samhain (Halloween) and try and put together a really well thought-out and different costume to everyone else.

I've been looking on ebay for costumes in larger sizes but aren't happy with the ones on there. I would love one that's that little bit different than anything you'd get in a shop. For Example...I love the idea of wearing Jadzia Dax's Wedding outfit. I wonder if that would be easy to make and whether I could talk my aunt into making it for me?

Does anyone know of any costume designers/makers who I could contact. Ideally I can't spend more than £100 on it as I've spent a fortune on plane flights and the hotel as I'm coming from Jersey (Channel Island).

Oh.....and I know you guys don't know me from Adam (who's Adam....oh yeah...that guy on Torchwood lol). But if anyone wants to store their clothes etc in my hotel room I can only assure you that I'm trustworthy and won't be filling my suitcase with everyone's gear (can you imagine the extra charges at the airport check-in) lmao

Anyway....hope to get some advice from the pro's when it comes to Cosplay.

Oh, and I'm going home on the Monday so couldn't join in this Masquerade whatever it is....but I'm just really wanting to dress up anyway. Plus it'll look good in my Klingon Photo-shoot. hehehe

Love and Light, Star xx

I would be willing to help. I make costumes for my daughter Sarah who cosplays at these events. I dont charge as such only really for the fabrics as I do it for fun. I am not an expert but I have made costumes for others, mainly Dr Who and Claire from Heroes.

Oooooo ooo ooo ooo......do I sound like a monkey lol...got a bit excited there. lol.

What would you be able to make in the way of StarTrek? Like I said I'm a rather large size (2x or 3x in American). I would have liked a starfleet uniform of Deep space nine/ Voyager time with the two parts, maybe just the top done and I could wear black trousers. But I'd be worrying that it might not suit the larger type (show too many lumps and bumps lol). What do others think?

If I was any good at sewing I had my heart set on Jadzia's wedding outfit (the red dress) but can imagine that would be a nightmare to make.

I'm guessing you'd be able to bring it to the event as we don't have much time left for postage (especially to jersey uk). I can pay you through paypal for the material before you have to buy it so you're not out of pocket....and then throw you a few quid for making it when I see you I guess. Any idea how much? lol.

Sorry if this sounds a bit manic but have spent so long looking online and have no time to order anything now. lol