William Shatner autographs

well I hope you all get this sorted out of even if a price reduction was introduced for people that are getting multiple items signed for Shatner. Or they could be fair and reduce the price of one autograph submission as they know deep don inside that this guest is going to be really busy and make alot of money.

Edited by MICHEALS KILLER

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got two Shatner's autos a few years ago (£25 each, I think it was) when the Babylon 5 actress was gently directing us like a herd of cattle :WAVE: and I don't think I am going to buy more (a photo shoot, perhaps); however, I would get one even for £35. Unfortunately, collecting autographs is not the cheapest hobby in the world and this might be taken into consideration before moaning. Yes, £35 is a bit shocking considering the price we usually see for this kind of guests but I rarely see people complaining for the much higher price tag attached to astronauts coming to autographica. And, as someone else mentioned, occasionally we got certain actors cheaper than expected. As usual, it is a matter of priorities.

I find it hard to understand how much hysteria this is causing. He is charging £10 more than the usual top price at an event that is five months away.

I know times are hard but are people really saying they cannot find an extra £10 in five months?

I quite agree. The equation is really simple.

£25 an auto = no Bilbo Shatnoids.

£35 an auto = Bilbo Shatnoids.

Simple, straightforward. If you have a problem with the extra £10, don't meet him. Again, simple, straightforward. So you're going to get 12 items signed for £300, and now it costs £420? Well I don't classify you as 'of limited means' if you can afford to spend £300 on autographs from William Shatner. If it's that big a deal, just get 9. I don't see any point in moaning about economic realities, and if this extra £120 will tip you into the abyss, then you seriously need to get your priorities straight my friend - maybe you shouldn't be spending £300 on Captain Shatnoids in the first place.

The other regular complaint is the price of travel (i.e. to London). People will regularly say "It costs me so much to get down to London on the train etc. etc.", and yet I look on www.thetrainline.com and lo and behold their journey is £40 return - at most. Seriously, you're going to a show to buy autographs @ £25 each (or more), and you can't put together £40 for the travel?

I don't mean to be rude, but it's a simple matter of priorities. If £10 really is going to break the bank, then maybe your disposable income is a bit too low to be spending it on autographs. And if it's "I can afford it, I'd just rather it was £25", well welcome to the club, but you need to resign yourself to the fact that he would not be coming for £25 a signature and that's that. If you want bigger stars, SM have to charge enough for them to be able to meet their guarantees.

Perfectly said!

Could not have said it better myself!!

I want bigger and better guests - and i'm willing to pay for it. If there are people who can't/don't want to pay more - tough, nobody is under any obligation in life where they HAVE to buy an autograph!! In fact, it makes it more fun for those of us who are willing to spend more on better guests, as we have more time when meeting them. It seems to me people these days expect everything given to them on a plate, and for free! Oh, and it's always the people who want 20 things signing are the first to moan.

Rant over :P

Edited by keithporter23

I find it hard to understand how much hysteria this is causing. He is charging £10 more than the usual top price at an event that is five months away.

I know times are hard but are people really saying they cannot find an extra £10 in five months?

I think a couple of reasons people are complaining could be these:

1) Last time he was over, people were treated like cattle and hearded through asap, many cases having their item signed long before they were even in front of him, then being told to move on..Now he's coming back, and charging £10 extra, and people might be worried about getting the same shoddy treatment.

I know if I pay £35 for his auto and my pic gets signed before im even at the table and then im shooed away without even an aknowledgement from him, I will be fuming and I will moan about it for years, and most of you know how much I can moan :P

2) Most people who dont collect autographs cant believe how much we have to pay! I get derided by collegues and family when I tell them I pay £10-15 per autograph...id imagine some people will worry they'll get derided senseless when people find out they will pay £35 'just' for a scribble..I dont even get paid that much for working a sunday at double time!

Edited by crippsy_99

Thing is you are joking but I did once see a tramp attempt to gain free access to a Carrie Fisher signing some years ago.

For reasons best known to himself he seemed to be under the impression that there would be a free breakfast waiting for him in there.

A Stormtrooper soon put him right.

LOL!

"These aren't the doors you're looking for,go about your business move along"

All seriuos though, I would be prepared to pay more in the case of a major guest i.e Mark Hanmmil etc. end of the day if you don't wanna pay the price you don't have to. No one is making you pay it for his autograph just giving you the oppertunity.

Edited by thepurplehoodedwarrior

The other regular complaint is the price of travel (i.e. to London). People will regularly say "It costs me so much to get down to London on the train etc. etc.", and yet I look on www.thetrainline.com and lo and behold their journey is £40 return - at most. Seriously, you're going to a show to buy autographs @ £25 each (or more), and you can't put together £40 for the travel?

I don't mean to be rude, but it's a simple matter of priorities. If £10 really is going to break the bank, then maybe your disposable income is a bit too low to be spending it on autographs. And if it's "I can afford it, I'd just rather it was £25", well welcome to the club, but you need to resign yourself to the fact that he would not be coming for £25 a signature and that's that. If you want bigger stars, SM have to charge enough for them to be able to meet their guarantees.

I suppose it could also be that it's setting a new precedent . Whilst Christopher Lee would have been more a few years ago, that was rather last minute anyway. Fans would have been vocal with 5 months notice. What's to stop the next rare signer wanting the same fee? It's not even his first signing.

Price of travel, surely that depends when you are coming from? In my case London is usually cheapish considering the milage, it's when you have to go in and out again (in my case for Northampton, or Milton Keynes) it becomes impractical. I never spend more on transport/hotel than I'll spend at the event. That's where my priorities are, don't need a fancy hotel, just need a bed for the night. A tenner saved here is another autograph or two. I don't want to spend longer on a train that I'll spend at an event either.

Of course the exchange rate could go to hell and back in 5 months anyway.

All seriuos though, I would be prepared to pay more in the case of a major guest i.e Mark Hanmmil etc. end of the day if you don't wanna pay the price you don't have to. No one is making you pay it for his autograph just giving you the oppertunity.

Mark was £85 at C:E iirc, but again very last minute. Still had a neverending queue. Only regret I had was I just got one!

Edited by TerraHawk

Of course the exchange rate could go to hell and back in 5 months anyway.

A worthwhile point, when Mr S was over before, the £ could well of been worth $2, if it's dropped by 25% then the old price of £25 would need to go up by at least £7.50.

Must say I'm not surprised it's £35, if people are on a budget they will just have to cut back on the number of autographs or choose between an auto, talk or photoshoot.

Personally I can afford it and don't begrudge the cost (yeah it'll be great if it was cheaper), £35 is still well worth it in my book. I'd pay even more if it guaranteed a personalisation and a brief chat.

I'm fine with paying a little more for a guest of Bill Shatner's calibre. Take into account that he's almost 80 years old and that there's a fair chance this could be his last convention over here, I think it's worth every penny. I'd be much more unhappy if I couldn't meet him at all because too many people whined about the matter of a few quid that they have MONTHS to save up for.

Seeing he's £35 has made my descision not to get one - if he was £25, I would. Personally, it's not worth that much to me - I mean, he's my least favourite Trek Captain (don't shoot me). I just can't justify it, and would rather spend the extra money on something else that I would really aprreciate (which will probably be my Hub 5 ticket). But this is my decision, and I'm not going to complain about it - it's what he costs, end of. If he meant enough to me, I would pay it. But he doesn't, so I wont. And I can't see myself regretting my decision either. I do hope however that everyone who does pay it gets a good meet :P

(edit: if the £35 guaranteed a personalisation and an exchange of a few words, then I would most likely get one. But I know as well as everyone else there's no guarantee, and I can't justify the money simply on the off chance)

Edited by lizzy88

The problem, as far as I see it, that has already been mentioned is that you're not *just* paying for an autograph. You're also paying to shake their hand, say hello and exchange a few words.

I paid £10 to meet a guest once - someone I had been looking forward to meeting - and they proved to be miserable and unfriendly and I've regretted paying that much ever since.

But most charge even more than that. Yet what a lot of guests fail to consider is that for some of us, £20 is a LOT of money - that's 4 days food budget for me - that we're spending on meeting them. And then they can't even be bothered to smile and shake my hand? Extremely rude of them. And now Shatner is going to charge £35? I'll pass.

The problem, as far as I see it, that has already been mentioned is that you're not *just* paying for an autograph. You're also paying to shake their hand, say hello and exchange a few words.

I paid £10 to meet a guest once - someone I had been looking forward to meeting - and they proved to be miserable and unfriendly and I've regretted paying that much ever since.

But most charge even more than that. Yet what a lot of guests fail to consider is that for some of us, £20 is a LOT of money - that's 4 days food budget for me - that we're spending on meeting them. And then they can't even be bothered to smile and shake my hand? Extremely rude of them. And now Shatner is going to charge £35? I'll pass.

yeaaahh! :lol: one less person in the queue!! :D

Seeing he's �35 has made my descision not to get one - if he was �25, I would. Personally, it's not worth that much to me - I mean, he's my least favourite Trek Captain (don't shoot me). I just can't justify it, and would rather spend the extra money on something else that I would really aprreciate (which will probably be my Hub 5 ticket). But this is my decision, and I'm not going to complain about it - it's what he costs, end of. If he meant enough to me, I would pay it. But he doesn't, so I wont. And I can't see myself regretting my decision either. I do hope however that everyone who does pay it gets a good meet :lol:

(edit: if the �35 guaranteed a personalisation and an exchange of a few words, then I would most likely get one. But I know as well as everyone else there's no guarantee, and I can't justify the money simply on the off chance)

That's more than fair enough, sounds like a very sensible choice on your part. :)

I just wish people would stop acting like babies throwing their toys out of their prams and whinging about how unfair it is. Newflash, kiddies, life is unfair. We can't always get what we want.

Edited by Princess83

did you hear that they may have an idea now for Indiana 5.

The count was right - I was joking :D And yes I did hear - but I'll be honest, I'm not going to hold my breath. Lucas tends to be the sticking point with these, and as good as Ford looked in the 4th film I can't see him doing one at 70. Might be for the best - I still can't watch that ridiculous fridge scene.

I'm lucky that I can afford it and am happy to pay it, as he is a big name, even if he isn't everyone's cup of tea. I must confess he isn't my #1 Star Trek captain, but as characters like Kirk and Denny Crane (not to mention Buck Murdock in Airplane II!) he's given me a lot of happy viewing over the years so I may just have to get two autographs this time if I get the chance. :D

so the moaning has begun about the price of his autograph?

you guys do know that he doesn't like star trek fans, right? so maybe get a different picture/item signed instead.

He was perfectly happy signing the supplied ST pictures last time, I doubt he'll be kicking up a fuss about Kirk photos when he knows darn well that's the main reason he's sitting there earning $$$.

Me too darryl :D

i dont think its the price of 35 that puts people off. i think most of the moaning on here is to do with if people are going to pay good money and not even get a quick hello and being coldly treated like last time then thats not on. the fact is about bill shatner he is doing this only for the money, he such as others such as david soul dont like meeting fans, so what im saying is the price could be 55 pounds for all i care as long as they work for it by doing a simple hello its nice to meet you and thank you for coming etc.

For me it's not the..."Oh no he's £35.00" - It's the "Can I really be bothered starting another project?" combined with the..."But it's the Shatner!!!!" argument in my head.

But you know what? At the end of the day once I'm at the event I KNOW I'll pay it (and doom myself to yet another poster project) and so will everyone else moaning about the price.