What book are you currently reading?

touchthesky

7a14xZE.jpg

Comedian Tony Hawks (the guy from Red Dwarf) awakens from the "night before" to the realisation that he has bet his mate he can hitch-hike around Ireland.

With a fridge.

I picked this up from a charity book table in Tesco (after making a reasonable donation) and I'm very glad I did.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

"The Man From Berlin" by Luke McCallin.

A murder-mystery set in Sarajevo in 1943. The author conveys the complex political situation in Yugoslavia with great skill, really drawing you into the story. Looking forward to seeing where Captain Reinhardt's investigation leads.

• 3 weeks later...

GA9kIVk.jpg

Captain Reinhardt is drawn back to Sarajevo to investigate a series of grisly murders, however it is now March 1945 and the city is in turmoil.

The black-shirted Ustase are no longer kept in check by the retreating Germans and are terrorising the population. Meanwhile, the Communist partisans are within days of taking the city...

Another excellent novel from Luke McCallin.

• 2 years later...

"Where God Does Not Walk"

A bomb explodes during a secret meeting and 19-year old Lieutenant Gregor Reinhardt is caught up in the aftermath after one of his men is accused of the crime.

His investigation puts him in great danger as he attempts to uncover the truth, all amidst the horrors of the trenches in 1918.

Another compelling story in the Reinhardt series.

Edited by Bumper8
Link wouldn't work
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Aliens: Phalanx (Scott Sigler)

I generally avoid spin-off novels of popular film franchises but took a punt on this one and wasn't disappointed.

It pits the xenomorphs (Demons) against a pre-industrial civilisation.

The author put a bit of effort into developing a detailed society for the native inhabitants.

If you like the "Alien" universe and the recent Predator movie "Prey", this will keep you entertained.

• 1 month later...

X Troop (Leah Garrett)

X Troop were comprised of Jewish refugees from continental Europe who volunteered to fight as Commandos in WW2 against the Nazis.

They had to leave behind their old identities and change their names in case they were captured.

Think of "Inglorious Basterds" but it is actually a true story.

Well-researched and excellently -written account.

Recommended.

• 2 months later...

Alien: The Cold Forge (Alex White)

The title refers to a space station where in 2179, Weyland-Yutani are conducting experiments on Xenomorphs.

As some of the projects are overdue (and over budget) the Company send one of their most enthusiastic and ruthless auditors, Dorian Sudler, to the station to find out the score and who can be cut from the payroll.

One of the research projects is "Glitter Edifice" run by Dr. Blue Marsalis. She is physically impaired due to a degenerative illness and uses Marcus, a synthetic, as a substitute body to allow her to work despite being bed-ridden.

On the face of it, Blue is attempting to create a weapon for W-Y, but she is secretly trying to isolate a sample of the Xenormorph mutagenic material to use to her own ends.

As Sudler progresses his investigation, a saboteur shuts down the station's systems and frees the Xenomorphs...

I enjoyed this story very much, Sudler is a great villain, he makes Carter Burke look like Mother Theresa!

It keeps you guessing as to the motivations of the other characters in the book, nobody really knows who to trust.

Again, if you like the "Alien" universe or just like a good science fiction story this will fit the bill.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

"Conclusions" by John Boorman.

An insight into the director's craft, with some good anecdotes thrown in.

John once had to wrestle a famous actor's car keys from him as he was too drunk to drive.

JB took the wheel to drive the tough guy actor home but the star proved a difficult passenger.

He was stopped by a traffic cop who exclaimed

"Do you know that Lee Marvin is on your roof?"

Edited by Bumper8
Punctuation
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman, although I haven't got too far into it yet. I had also started a doctor who book that intertwined doctor who and mythology. Also haven't got too far into that one yet. Both seem interesting.

• 1 month later...

At work, I'm on a slow re-read of the Michael Palin travelogues during my lunch breaks, i'm up to Sahara at the moment.

And I've just finished reading The Templars and the Grail by Karen Ralls, A history of the myths surrounding the Holy Grail and the Knights Templar. From reading it, I hadnt realised that I'd visited so many locations related to the Knights, whilst living in Cyprus