What book are you currently reading?

touchthesky

I had been looking for a slasher horror novel like the films Scream, Wrong Turn etc which didn't involve either police detectives or ghosts. After a bit research online I came across 'Island' by Richard Laymon which had been getting some positive reviews. I am about half way through it and so far so good. No spoilers please if anyone has already read it!

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished "Operation Mincemeat" by Ben McIntyre, an account of arguably the most successful single deception of WW2.

Want to make the Germans think you're going to invade Greece instead of Sicily?

Plant the body of a man who never existed off the Spanish coast with an attache case of secret documents chained to his wrist...a thrilling read, and it's all true...

Haven't read any pure "sci fi" for a while so took a punt on "Space Carrier Avalon" by Glynn Stewart for the kindle. Promising start, reminiscent of "Battlestar Galactica".

Visit us at Showmasters Library (aka this forum topic) for updates.

Just finished reading The Wizard of Oz. Very very different from the film version. Can't really say it's good given how long ago it was written combined with that it is a childrens book means that it is quite basic and 'of the times' as it were but it was an interesting read.

• 3 weeks later...

Time to open up the Library again. I see Raylenth's returned The Wizard of Oz; one more day and it would have been a fine...

"Space Carrier Avalon" was ok; formulaic space navy drama that had a well-realised universe and some nice touches (believable science with regard to faster than light travel for example) but it all went a bit "Mills and Boon" with too much focus on shipboard romances for my taste.

Forgot I had a load of books on my hard drive so have downloaded an old favourite onto the kindle for another read; Clive Cussler's "Raise the Titanic!". This guy knows how to write a good yarn!

My name is Pitt...Dirk Pitt...

Started to read 'London Calling; by James Craig but it's my cup of tea at all, I've given up 3 chapters in as I was literally rolling my eyes at some of it. It's very rare for me to give up on a book and it's usually when I think it's bad or boring to me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

"End of Watch" is on hold; went to start reading it but its the third in a trilogy and I haven't read the first two...have since read "Cyclops" by Clive Cussler and "Leap of Faith" by Gordon Cooper.

Speaking of trilogies, Andy Livingstone's new book "Hero Grown" is next on my list.

He is already hard at work on book 3!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

"Moonshot" by Alan Shepard and Donald "Deke" Slayton.

Both were part of the "Mercury Seven", America's first Astronauts (with John Glenn's recent passing none are left now sadly)

Starts with a thrilling account of Armstrong and Aldrin's descent to the lunar surface in 1969-great stuff!

• 1 month later...

Have read a few since I last posted here, most recently "The War of The Worlds". I was surprised at how gritty it was considering when it was written. Now reading "The Long Walk" by Richard Bachman aka Stephen King. A good "Hunger Games" vibe to this one.

Next up most likely is "The Massacre of Mankind" by Stephen Baxter, the official sequel to TWOTW as approved by the estate of HG Wells

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I like what they've done to the Library-nice refurb job!

Haven't gotten around to Stephen Baxter yet; reading "Lost Moon" (story of the Apollo 13 mission).

At least I know it has a happy ending!

• 3 weeks later...

Have finally started reading "Hero Grown" by Andy Livingstone after some Kindle delivery issues. This is part 2 of "The Seeds of Destiny" trilogy.

A welcome return to Brann's world and the story is moving along nicely.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...