Neil Gaiman - Coraline and American Gods

Charlotte Bronte - Jane Eyre

John Golsworthy - The Forsyte' Sage

Margaret Mitchell - Gone with the wind

J.R.R. Tolkien - Lord of the Rings

M. Bulgakov - the Master and Margarita

sir Arthur Conan-Doyle - all Sherlock Holmes stories

Herbert Wells - Time mashine

My favourite book when I was a child was 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory', closely followed by 'The Hobbit'. My favourite Terry Pratchett book was 'Mort', though it's so long since I read it that I can't really remember why I liked it so much. My favourite book now is probably 'The Lord of the Rings'.

• 5 months later...

I'm an avid reader and lately I've stuck with big epic sci-fi series.

I'm a big Stephen King fan so I adore The Dark Tower series. I am also near done with the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan and Brendan Sanderson. They are quite special.

A book that has always left a big impression on me was From The Corner Of His Eye by Dean Koontz. Not horror at all and was the sweetest read I've ever had. Bit of a tear jerker.

One that really stood out as something different was A Confedaracy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. I've not even read anything else by him since but it was brilliant!

Lord of The Rings and The Hobbit of course. True Love :smile:

Roald Dahl was great when I was younger, the guy made me want to read. Terry Pratchett is always great for a quick flick too. He's much clevererererer than he gets credit for.

Edited by vodkawrestling
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

the lotr triology

harry potter series

series of unfortunate events

percy jackson series

Hunger games trilogy

twilight saga (although i prefer the comic)

the Unseen quadriology

Darren shan

i have a love of teen fiction/horror and i have a whole collection of point horror books.

i grew up reading nancy drew, hardy boys, roahl dahl and i still dig my books out to read.

the lotr triology

harry potter series

series of unfortunate events

percy jackson series

Hunger games trilogy

twilight saga (although i prefer the comic)

the Unseen quadriology

Darren shan

i have a love of teen fiction/horror and i have a whole collection of point horror books.

i grew up reading nancy drew, hardy boys, roahl dahl and i still dig my books out to read.

I was pretty chuffed to find out my Roald Dahl 'collection' from my boyhood which I'd sent over to my nephew in Belfast (and feared had been tossed out) are still good to go :) Organising a wee shipment as we speak...or type.

Hunger Games and Unseen any good?

Hunger games is awesome. it's starts of like a less violent hunger games and then sorta grows.

and i love unseen series. it's about shapeshifters and it's worth a read if you like thriller/horror/supernatural stuff but no one else i know reads it. it's a series from the 00s but has the feel of many of the point horror or goosebumps books from the 90s

Edited by bonkersbimbo

Hunger games is awesome. it's starts of like a less violent hunger games and then sorta grows.

and i love unseen series. it's about shapeshifters and it's worth a read if you like thriller/horror/supernatural stuff but no one else i know reads it. it's a series from the 00s but has the feel of many of the point horror or goosebumps books from the 90s

Coolio. I'm halfway through The Dark Tower series (again...) then I've the last one in Wheel of Time to mangle but I'll give Unseen a wee chance. Waterstones?

just finished reading FlashForward by Robert J Sawyer (loved the tv show too)

next up for me - White Night from Jim Butcher (one of the dresden files novels i havent read yet, got it at car boot sale for 20p!!!

other than that i dont read much sci-fi, im more of a war fanatic when it comes to books, with the Stephen e. Ambrose books like Band of Brothers and Citizen Soldiers.

i like chris ryan, steven bochco, clive.cussler, even dan brown plus i read things based on shows i like.

eg. novels set in the x-files universe, or 24, especially star trek canon....

this is when i have the time of course - which is in short supply right now...

:(

• 1 year later...

My Favourites cover a wide range of subjects. So here are a few of mine...

The Honor Harrington series by David Weber

The Hunger Games Trilogy

The Divergent Trilogy

The World War Series By Harry Turtledove

The Battletech Novels

The Sam McCade books by William C. Dietz

The Harry Potter series

The Star Wars X-Wing Novels.

The Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan (and Brandon Sanderson) is probably my all time favourite.
Harry Potter Series, obviously.
I'm slowly working my way through Terry Pratchett's discworld stuff, some i enjoy others i feel like i'm forcig myself to read but on the whole i like them.
I quite enjoyed Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series too.