Event Feedback

DavidB

Don't worry, you didn't!

I know I don't always understand everything that is being said, in particular the jokes on words and stuff like that, but I don't think translations could be doable: why translating in French and not in Spanish or German or other languages?

I'm sorry if I offend anybody here, but I do think that when you don't understand the language you have two solutions: you don't come to the con, or you just remain quiet even when you don't understand...

I just mentioned French due to that seeming to be the main language being used as an example. However now you have said that their are probably too many nationalities their for it to work.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the idea of the translate, but i think is very hard for massive events and always be people that would like the talk translate in other language (Like French, or Spanish, or Swedish..or etc)...

i'm Spanish and i understand 50% of the Talks, and of course is more easy for me if i have someone that translates all the talk, but if i go to the convention is my fault if i don't have the english level for understand the guests.. .

One option is that people don't enter to the talks, like did one of my friends because she didn't understand anything...

Other is that the people translates the talk for the people stay in other site, but why have they lose the position of the passes?

So, i think the only and better solution is when someone are bothering you, tell with education, if the person are rude with you and continue, tell to the crew.

I agree et4 and so on should definately have a vip area for golds like at proms!

The problem with this which is what happened with proms at one point (as faye and I were the crew on rope for it) is the same thing that seams to be happening in the talks last weekend and that is people who aren't gold passes using others gold passes to get in

• Showmasters Admin

But then hey, the same happened when I tried to get the shuttle bus from the station to the event and people pushed in.

I guess some people are going to be inconsiderate and selfish no matter what.

LOL!!! So true.

Talk questions - I understand you go by what questions are submitted for each individual con but, seriously!! The amount of cons that have happened now, was it not possible to keep a database of all questions that have been asked from the start of the first Heroes con til now? The amount of cracking questions you would have to chose from would be amazing. Plus a little guest research would go down well. It's like Paul knows nothing about who he's talking to which sometimes is just embarassing. Blaming the people who submit the questions all the time is not gonna cut it!

xxxxx

There is a database of previous questions and i do resuse them as needed, and this weekend ncluded some going to back to that very first Heroes show. It is not an exact science and just because a question worked well at a previous event, it does not mean it will work well and vice versa. Indeed one of the questions this weekend had not worked brilliantly at I think, aStargate event but I thought it was still worth another try and worked well.

It was menitioned in an earlier thread about pauses. These are deliberate to ensure the guests have time to say everything - some of the best quotes and comments often occur in thes gaps when guests suddenly think of something relevant. Also for every pause there are the times when I have got it wrong and interrupted just as a guest has started speaking again - as I said it is not an exact science.

Hope that clarifies a few things

Thank for the feedback

Cheers

Paul J

Hi ! I'm French and I am ashamed of what I read! I was present at ET1, and ET2, we were quiet and we try to integrate English fans but ET3 has been horrid. I totally agree with you. The only time we speak French, it was with Christopher and was during the guest encounter on Sunday. We had a little delirious with him but the english fans who were with us, they didn't seem to be bothered. I hope !

The French who were present were not used to go to events and finally they gave a bad reputation, I am so sorry that you have disturbed !

Well I'm French too and I'm as ashamed as you... During the talks some of the French people who didn't understand at all what the guests were saying didn't stop speaking in French and being noisy.

I think I understand English but I have to be concentrate and those French people disturbed me. Once I thought of telling them to shut up but I was fearing that it would take time to make them to so I tried to ignore them. Plus those girls were Standard and they took Silver seats and I thought it was really rude!

I was silver and my friends standards: We didn't even think of saving seats.

I spoke in French only on Charlie's guest encounter on Saturday but I tried to speak English a little too. It was really nice of him to translate the questions and the answers.

But during the shoots and autographs I spoke to him in English. It was only him who were speaking in French... Maybe he recognized me from the encounter. lol

But when I had a problem with my shoots, I talked to the crew in english and they understand me and were very kind to me.

At the parties, my friends and I didn't stay long so we didn't see any of the guests except Christopher who agreed to take a photo with us. I'm glad I didn't see people crowded the guests...

I'm sorry if I offend anybody here, but I do think that when you don't understand the language you have two solutions: you don't come to the con, or you just remain quiet even when you don't understand...

I totally agree! If I hadn't be sure that I would understand at least the half of the talk, I wouldn't have come!!

Just a suggestion but maybe at future cons the guests could have some tables laid out for them at the night time parties that are sectioned off away from everyone else . that way if they decide to come and join everyone even if its for a little while then they will have a bit of privacy and they wont get crowded by everyone and can enjoy the partys too .??

Edited by blondie342009

I like the idea of the translate, but i think is very hard for massive events and always be people that would like the talk translate in other language (Like French, or Spanish, or Swedish..or etc)...

i'm Spanish and i understand 50% of the Talks, and of course is more easy for me if i have someone that translates all the talk, but if i go to the convention is my fault if i don't have the english level for understand the guests.. .

One option is that people don't enter to the talks, like did one of my friends because she didn't understand anything...

Other is that the people translates the talk for the people stay in other site, but why have they lose the position of the passes?

So, i think the only and better solution is when someone are bothering you, tell with education, if the person are rude with you and continue, tell to the crew.

<-- waves, you were in the same guest encounter with me :) Made me want to go on Holiday heh xx

i'm Spanish and i understand 50% of the Talks,

well I'm English and I only understood 50% of the talks too!!!! That was more due to mumbling and weird use of microphones though! :P

ETA: With regards seating in the talks a group of us were thinking that colour coded passes might help with controlling it - Gold passes being gold, silver being silver, etc It would make it easier for crew to spot the "sneaking" people. I also agree that it would be good to have a silver area.

PS: whoever mentioned stickers on chairs, shame on you lmao..........unless you'd like to help stick them on and then make sure the chairs are put out in the right order each time! =D

Edited by Dum dumdum Dum

<-- waves, you were in the same guest encounter with me :) Made me want to go on Holiday heh xx

Lol hahaha Remember, Gran Canaria, Not Tenerife :clap::lol:

The easiest way to stop people "borrowing" passes is to make them wristbands instead of passes you can take off!

I was just about to say the same thing - Great Minds :P

Going to be a pain here and say that passes are easier for cosplayers as we can hide them under clothing. Costumes like some of the Edward one's aren't too hard when it comes to a wrist band as he wears alot of long sleeved clothing but characters such as Rosalie and Emmett wear their sleeves rolled up or no sleeves at all. Also for me it would be hard as I'm not a fan of things round my wrists which is why I didn't wear my ET3 wristband and most of the time if I'm wearing long sleeves I won't wear my Edward wrist cuff.

The easiest way to stop people "borrowing" passes is to make them wristbands instead of passes you can take off!

I was just about to say the same thing - Great Minds :P

Going to be a pain here and say that passes are easier for cosplayers as we can hide them under clothing. Costumes like some of the Edward one's aren't too hard when it comes to a wrist band as he wears alot of long sleeved clothing but characters such as Rosalie and Emmett wear their sleeves rolled up or no sleeves at all. Also for me it would be hard as I'm not a fan of things round my wrists which is why I didn't wear my ET3 wristband and most of the time if I'm wearing long sleeves I won't wear my Edward wrist cuff.

Plus, I think its easier to see what group and number you are if you're wearing a badge than if you would wear a wrist band.

• Moderators

I doubt you can find an ideal way for everyone, but if it stops people taking advantage at the expense of a couple of people's costumes being accessorised with a wristband then I think it'd be worth it. It's not ideal, as pointed out above, but who knows.

I suppose adjustments to the passes would be for the best.

Edited by DavidB