• John Barrowman
    • Peter Purves
    • John Leeson
    • Frazer Hines
    • William Russell
    • Mark Strickson
    • k9 well its a male dog :D

• Showmasters Admin

its very interesting to see who your favorite stars are as i think you prefer the Dr you watched when you were a child

for me it was Tom Baker and still i think he was a great Dr Who i do like others but he is my favorite because he was a bit nuts and i really liked that in him , and he is a bit in real life :P

what do you think is the best and why ?

would love to see what people like and see in there favorite Dr Who

jason :D :D

I'm of the Tom Baker era as well, It was his booming deep voice that I recall the most from when I was a kid watching Doctor Who. I remember Lalla Ward's role as the lady Romana more than I do Mary Tamm's.

But I found Billie Piper's role as the Doctor's companion to be surprisingly good, given my initial thoughts when I heard a pop singer was playing the Doctor's companion.

Never really thought which male companion was the best though.

Thought K9 was just great when I was a kid !!

Anyway i voted Christopher Eccleston because he was the first doctor i saw on TV and i think he is highly underrated and overshadowed by DT. Before DT i don't think Doctor who had a load of fan girls. I thought he played the character with mystery and his acting over the sadness of the timewar was top class. I really wished he stayed longer but despite everything, his death really pulled at the heart strings.

As for companians, i voted Carole Ann Ford and William Russell because i have seen the earlier episodes with William Hartnell and liked that pair and William Hartnell probably comes second as the doctor for me. He might be out of my time, but i still really enjoyed these old episodes and intend to watch all the episodes until i get back to CE so ive seen all of the available ones. Then my favourite doctor may change.

By the way ive met Carole Ann Ford and she is a lovely person to talk to and in general.

It'd be a miracle if you could get Chris to come to this event as im not sure he likes to talk about DW but ive seen several of his films and other TV roles and i am a big fan.

Edited by Twoodiegal

i grew up with sylvester on tv (vague memories of colin and peter) but with at first the vhs releases of mainly tom and a trickle of the other docs then all of them on uk gold, im 28 ive seen or in the case of the wiped heard every episode of who ever and my fav doctor is pat, he is just fantastic, perfect doctor and fraizer is the best companion, them 2 together is perfection for me.

female companion is hard but ive gone with liz sladen

p.s were is nicola bryant? few ppl missing from the list i think.

will be interesting to see if there are more new who fans on the forum who found who with the rtd years than us veterans.

Edited by timelord81r

My first Doctor was Peter Davison. Each incarnation has had their good/bad points. I have enjoyed them all though. Christopher Eccleston, (just edges out David Tennant for me) who put in some amazing performances and really should win my vote.

However to quote Mr Tennants Doctor "...you were my Doctor" I have to pick Peter Davison. Not sure why really. Maybe it is the cricketer running around with a decorative vegatable. Maybe you are right Jason - it is the Doctor you see first. Whatever it is I have fond memories of the Davison era. Not sure if he will thank me for this or not. I do think he would make a even better Doctor if he had been given the role now. His quick appearance in the comic relief episode with DT is evidence of that. He looked far more relaxed in the role and a very commanding performance that outshone the excellent DT.

As for companions. Female is from three choices, Billie Piper, the absent Nicola Bryant, and the winner - Sarah Sutton. An intelligent companion who went slightly against the grain of previous and subsequent 'screamers' and thus I found to be more interesting.

Male is harder as I didn't enjoy either Adric or Turlough (not the actors fault) so a Davison era clean sweep is ruled out. The character of Jack Harkness has grown and expanded too much for me to see him as a companion anymore so I will ignore him. No sign of Nicholas Courtney in the list, who had a wonderful dynamic with Jon Pertwee, so it has to be Fraser as Jamie. He just pushes out Bernard Cribbins who was a joy to watch.

And speaking of missing companions...where is Kylie Minogue :huh: ?

I'm 25 years old and grew up with Sylvester McCoy who i'll always have a bit of a soft spot for, but in terms of favourite and looking at the show as a whole, I don't think it's right to be sentimetal and I like to look at it purely objectively. My favourite by far is William Hartnell. Not just a 'grumpy old grandfather' as many people depict him as. And despite how much people might think David Tennant or Christopher Eccleston are to be thanked for their contribution to Doctor Who as a whole, I think people greatly under rate Hartnell. To me he IS Doctor Who. He is the person who started it, and if it wasn't for him leading the show for 3 years we wouldnt have what we have today

Edited by JacknDaniel

Sylvester is massively under-rated as a Doctor. Obviously he, and to a lesser extent Colin, get a lot of grief in the mainstream (wrongly and unfairly) for the demise of the initial show. Having said that, I have an unshakable love for all of Colin's stories. I'm normally the one to back an underdog anyway, but Colin's Doctor always appealed to me in a way that that other Baker didn't. Growing up, there was something dark and synister, even creepy abut Four that alienated me as a kid (no pun intended).

Looking back as an adult, it's a no brainer that Tom is a legend in the role and that he is a supremely talented actor, fair enough. But Colin was massively appealing in the role and remains watchable for me today.

Step out of Billie's shadow, Freema Agyeman, and after Auf Wiedersehen Pet, what's not to love about Noel Clarke ?

its very interesting to see who your favorite stars are as i think you prefer the Dr you watched when you were a child

for me it was Tom Baker and still i think he was a great Dr Who i do like others but he is my favorite because he was a bit nuts and i really liked that in him , and he is a bit in real life :D

what do you think is the best and why ?

would love to see what people like and see in there favorite Dr Who

jason :D :D

He`s my fav as well thats who my daughter watched from 6 months old. Hope you are going to Time quest Jason if so i`ll see you there for some nutty stories from Mr Baker :smile:

tennant winning, bloody new who fans lol ;-)

pats the best hands down

in all fairness this poll depends on how many new and how many classic fans of DW there are on this board.

and with New Who many people didn't start watching till DT entered the scene making this poll not a fair one.

You can tell most of the fans here are new Who fans since John Barrowman/ Billie Piper and David Tennant are grabbing the majority of the votes. People havent seen the other companians and the older doctors so how can they vote fairly.

And i would take Matt Smith off seeing as we haven't seen him properly yet.

Edited by Twoodiegal

That'll be me voting for Tenny :D I started watching the show in 2005 when Nine was on our screens but wasn't as addicted to the show as I am now until 2006 when Ten came to power (What's not to love about David's Doctor?)....I mean I have watched some of the classic series, mainly eps. with the fourth and fifth Doctor's and the Doctor Who movie of course but not enough to make a real informed decision on who the best Doctor was. Knowing me I'd probably have picked Tennant anyway :D

Anyway, for the best male companion I chose John Barrowman because Captain Jack is just plain awesome and I'm a massive Torchwood fan so Jack would win hands down for me (Though I was tempted to vote for K9 :o ) and for best female companion I chose Billie Piper because she was the Doctor's companion when I first started watching and to be honest, I do prefer series two out of all the four new series. I just like the way Rose's storyline played out....it was kinda cute and everything I wasn't expecting when I started watching the show...I never really liked stuff with fluffy, shippy sort of things in them before I started watching Doctor Who (Not to say that there was major fluff factor because there wasn't) *Does that make any sense? I do tend to ramble a lot*

Meh. Those are the reasons behind my votes....roughly.

Thinking back on my vote, I'd change it if I could (my choice for the best Doctor as my choices for best male & female companion would remain the same :D ) I'd vote for the first Doctor rather than David Tennant's seeing as the show started with him. Had it not been for Hartnell's portrayal as the 1st Doctor then there wouldn't have any further seasons (I mean if no one really liked the character of The Doctor then no one would watch the show, even if the story lines fantastic) besides, I've just purchased and watched a few 1st Doctor episodes and other than the fact that they're not in colour, I really love them :(

The only reason I voted for Tennant was because I felt more attached to his Doctor, he was my Doctor :wub: but the question wasn't who's your favourite/your Doctor? it was who was the best Doctor of all time? And those two questions are two completely different things. (Hope that makes sense ;) )

"My" Doctor is technically the eighth one, since the film came out when I was about seven. He's still my second-favourite Doctor, but having seen a lot of episodes over the years of all the different Doctors I definitely think Tom Baker is my favourite! :(

in all fairness this poll depends on how many new and how many classic fans of DW there are on this board.

and with New Who many people didn't start watching till DT entered the scene making this poll not a fair one.

You can tell most of the fans here are new Who fans since John Barrowman/ Billie Piper and David Tennant are grabbing the majority of the votes. People havent seen the other companians and the older doctors so how can they vote fairly.

Agreed. The people who started watching back in 1963 are now at least in their 60s, so I don't think they'll be avid forum users. It's primarily a young person's place. And when was the last time monochrome WHO was shown on TV in the UK?

Again, I grew up in the 80s but Hartnell is a legend who is so often dismissed with clichés like "crochety and grumpy" when there was so much more to him than that. His first companions are also the best, as back then it truly was a team who shared the starring role (and they even carried the show whenever Hartnell had an episode off).

Edited by Zagreus

That said, I think the companions during the first couple of years of Hartnell were much more important than The Doctor. For his first couple of seasons, The First Doctor isn't very likable is he? Manipulative, willing to put others at risk to satisfy his own curiosity, willing to bash peoples head in with a rock...

It's isn't really until around the time of The War Machines that he starts to turn into the Doctor we know and love, but he never quite gets there. I really think Troughton is the one who first played 'The Doctor' as we recognise him today. Of course I love Hartnell's Doctor, but he's very different to the modern understanding of the character.

That said, I think the companions during the first couple of years of Hartnell were much more important than The Doctor. For his first couple of seasons, The First Doctor isn't very likable is he? Manipulative, willing to put others at risk to satisfy his own curiosity, willing to bash peoples head in with a rock...

It's isn't really until around the time of The War Machines that he starts to turn into the Doctor we know and love, but he never quite gets there. I really think Troughton is the one who first played 'The Doctor' as we recognise him today. Of course I love Hartnell's Doctor, but he's very different to the modern understanding of the character.

I do agree that the character of the first Doctor is very different from the one of today, however over the 40 years of character development he's had, I think a lot of it happened in the first season. Sure, in the first story he is willing to kill someone to escape, and doesn't give a damn about Ian and Barbara, but even 2 stories on, The Edge of Destruction serves as a development story for all the characters, with the great line by the Doctor at the end 'As we learn about each other, so we learn about ourselves' Throughout the whole time with his companions, I particularly love the era because you see Hartnells Doctor caring for his companions, and changes from not wanting to get involved in situations, to wanting to solve mysteries wherever he goes.

Agreed. The people who started watching back in 1963 are now at least in their 60s, so I don't think they'll be avid forum users. It's primarily a young person's place. And when was the last time monochrome WHO was shown on TV in the UK?

Again, I grew up in the 80s but Hartnell is a legend who is so often dismissed with clichés like "crochety and grumpy" when there was so much more to him than that. His first companions are also the best, as back then it truly was a team who shared the starring role (and they even carried the show whenever Hartnell had an episode off).

I've just finshed watching the first Doctors run (whats left of it) and agree they were more of a team. I love the Ian and Barbara characters. Especially Barbara such a classy lady.

Although William Hartnell is a little grumpy at first he does mellow out and you warm to him after a while.

My favourite Doctor is John Pertwee as i like a lot of the stories he was in.

Having watched repeats on UK gold I really liked Jon, but I have to say DT was really good, the only bone to pick it the whole kissing companions, I know TV has to move with the times but another question is out of all companions why Rose, she wasn't that hot also if you see the actor without makeup its even worse. Lol.

Looks a side i didn't think she was a strong companion, I picked S.A as she was fun always blowing things ups and wasn't scared to get down and dirty.

I picked F.H as male companion as I wouldn't count Jack as one as he was only there briefly.

Also FH and a funny quality about the character.

Anyways just my opinion.