Brian J Smith not coming according to his Twitter

elenmai

Oh my, such a lot of chatter.

I suggest we all look forward to a cracking event, although I suspect there will be some convo over the weekend about all this. Ryan Robbins and David Hewlett are 2 fab guests and well worth seeing.

Totally agree! Let's stop moaning about who won't be there, and start getting excited about who WILL be!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanx Queen_Sindel for explaining what I mean. No, I'm sure nobody would throw tomatos, eggs or shoes :lol: But I think, they would not go to his panels, take the photoshoots with him and get the free autograph from him.

I have no problem with the fact, that a guest have to cancel because of work or health problems. Both happen at the Hub3 and of cause we were disappointed but that's life.

But for me it's rude and unprofessional to twitter my decision before I spoke with Showmasters.

Responding to a tweet (that maybe was rude but not out of line), "I'd airlock you" - my 15 year old wouldn't say something like that.

Im guessing you've never seen BSG then eh? :angry:

Its a phrase that gets used on there a lot.

And sorry to break it to you luv, but I expect your 15 year old comes out with FAR FAR worse when your not around! :D

I dont think people around here will want him back!!!

Then explain the posts from people saying they DO want to meet him still?

I dont think people around here will want him back!!!

Same here. Please don't try to convince him, that he should come to this event! I've heard from a lot of friends, if he will come, they wouldn't go to the photoshooting and singing and most of them would protest during the panels. I think this could ruin a wonderful weekend :D

Thanx Queen_Sindel for explaining what I mean. No, I'm sure nobody would throw tomatos, eggs or shoes :yoda: But I think, they would not go to his panels, take the photoshoots with him and get the free autograph from him.

Oh come on please both of you, how sad is that when people resort to full on hateful stuff towards a guest, just because they cancelled an event..Seriously..protests, however thats means, are going just a tad bit far is it not??

Ok you dont go to the photoshoots, or get the autograph, or even go to the panels..whos the one really missing out there..not the guest, YOU are, for deliberatly missing out due to being downright childish..

Edited by crippsy_99

And sorry to break it to you luv, but I expect your 15 year old comes out with FAR FAR worse when your not around! :chair:

So true! :lol:

Also true that I haven't seen BSG - I used to watch the original back in the day :lol:

My point was that it sounded like something an 8 year old would say, not that my son isn't rude. He probably swears like a sailor but because it's in Italian, I can't be sure :D

I'll leave the posting to you young ones ;)

In my book a protest is a protest, right now i have little interest in hearing what a three episode guest star from 10 years ago will have to say, or a 6 episode guest star from 2 years ago that i honestly had to google before i recognised, but will i go there and walk out when they speak? no, if i felt that strongly about not wanting to see them i'd go have a drink in the bar during their panel - and who knows, they may change my mind upon meeting them, thats what meeting the stars is all about.

See, you are asking for just the same thing that the "non likers" do ask for to: respect their opinion.

You don't like guest stars, fair enough. Some people have no interest in Universe. Why not accept that, and also consider the fact that still they might do the same you would do? Instead you simply assume the worst.

No one has said that there will be a collective yell out "you s*ck" and then everyone will run out of the room. Leaving before the talk starts is what sensible people will do, and I still stand to my opinion that 99 percent of attendees are actually sensible.

Unfortunately I am more and more getting the feeling that everybody who does not like Universe is refused the right to have their own opinion, and to express their feelings. Someone doesn't care about Universe or worse, they don't like the show. So they are wrong, evil and god knows what else. If this is the wrong impression I am getting here I apologize, but this is really like this is coming across to me.

I understand that you like Brian, are here to defend him and as you have said want to make sure he doesn't get the wrong end of the stick. I am not criticizing you for that. But please accept that not everyone is agreeing with "the guy was just misunderstood" or can accept his last post "Twitter can be misunderstood" as an apology. Some may feel a "sorry, I screwed up" swould be in order.

I look at gateworld, thats a different forum, here - on the organisers forum we have a post that references the possiblity of a group protest should a certain guest attend

If thats mature, then our barometers for maturity must differ greatly

I am not saying a "group protest" would be mature. Nor am I saying this would right. But in addition to wrote I wrote before: 1) I have been moderating here long enough to know that the written word is a lot worse than what will actually happen, and 2) there is a saying where I live - I don't think it is the same in English, but I will try to translate it. "If you yell something you got to live with the echo."

But yes, I can understand people contemplating actions, protests, whatever. Brian has been the one to act rude and quite immature first in the eyes of many. I've said it before, if someone yells at you you shouldn't lower yourself to their level. Still it is human and inevitable that some people will react just as bad, or even worse.

You keep saying that Brian's airlock response was justified because of the first tweet he got. Some think Brian's actions were rude and immature. So yeah, it may not be nice, but some people will react the same way to what Brian wrote than he reacted to that Tweet.

Oh come on please both of you, how sad is that when people resort to full on hateful stuff towards a guest, just because they cancelled an event..Seriously..protests, however thats means, are going just a tad bit far is it not??

Steve, you are missing the point. Those who have posted negatively are not mad because he cancelled (if they are I sincerely apologize, then I am the one who is missing something). People are mad about the way he cancelled, and the way he has been acting afterwards. It's simply that some feel more stronger about it than others.

I personally fully understand that this is enough for some fans to not give him a chance anymore and leave his panel, not get an autograph etc. Maybe they miss out on a great experience, maybe they don't. Don't tell me you never left a talk because you didn't really like the guest, were not interested in a guest, got bored etc. Protest may have been the wrong word, but what sheepyie posted is just a reason as good as any other to leave a talk.

If it is wrong of me to do not to say sheepyie wrong, then again I am sorry, but I can't help it. I am really trying to understand both sides here, and I do really think neither one is totally wrong.

Edited by Queen_Sindel

I personally fully understand that this is enough for some fans to not give him a chance anymore and leave his panel, not get an autograph etc. Maybe they miss out on a great experience, maybe they don't. Don't tell me you never left a talk because you didn't really like the guest, were not interested in a guest, got bored etc.

Hand on heart, I honistly dont think I have EVER walked out of a panel at a convention, unless its been for a very good reason like photoshoots or really really needed to get something urgent/badly. in 9 years of convention attending!

Signing events, such as lfcc, and other organisers events with panels maybe, but thats because they were free.

But at a convention, ive paid for a full weekend of panels and activities, so I will always attend them!

Even if the guests have bored me silly, one guest I can think of in particular ive never made it through one of his panels without falling asleep out of boredom after seeing him at several events now, I will still personally go to get my moneys worth.

To walk out of one without a very good reason just seems a waste. Well, that and I dont want to give up my seat and end up having a worse one further back when I come back :YAHOO:

As for autographs, unless I have to pay extra, i'll meet anyone regardless for their scribble!

Edited by crippsy_99

Hand on heart, I honistly dont think I have EVER walked out of a panel at a convention, unless its been for a very good reason like photoshoots or really really needed to get something urgent/badly. in 9 years of convention attending!

Signing events, such as lfcc, and other organisers events with panels maybe, but thats because they were free.

But at a convention, ive paid for a full weekend of panels and activities, so I will always attend them!

Leaving the seat thing aside (cause yeah, that point is *so* valid :lol:) then you're one of the rare exceptions I have met there. Or maybe I have kept meeting the exceptions from the rule so far. :D I haven't left often, but I did leave a couple of times myself.

To walk out of one without a very good reason just seems a waste.

That's what I try to keep telling myself: one person's very good reason is another person's waste. :D

If someone wants to leave for whatever reason they think it's valid, hey, let them go. Who knows, you may even end up with a better seat or at least a better view thanks to that because you have one head less in your way. :(

Edited by Queen_Sindel

@ crisppy_99:

Queen_Sindel got the point. As I wrote, we had to cancellation on the Hub3 and we were sad but not mad with the actors, because one had to work at the same time and the other had a bad head injury two day before the event.

Actually I'm looking forward to meet the second person in May at the another show.

But both actors or their management got first in contact with Showmasters.

I wasn't interested in Brian right from the start but I would have give him a chance to show me, that he is an interesting person. I met already a lot of actors who suprised me, but with all the fuzz of not coming to this event, I don't need to make a smiling face just to make him happy. I'm sure there would be enough girls to do this.

Edited by sheepyie

Were still missing the point entirely, leaving a talk you don't enjoy, fine - understandable

planning ahead of time to go to a talk you have no intention of enjoying and walking out with a group of friends, organised, disrespectful protest

wouldn't matter whether it was brian or any other guest, it's not about me sticking up for him here, that's unacceptable no matter who it's directed at

it's fine I guess, we can play word scemantics and talk about language barriers and perhaps people are just expressing their opinions but I'm also expressing mine and I have a feeling everybody in this post knows enough to know what's rude and those that would find a planned walkout acceptable have no grounds being this shocked and offended by three 140 character announcente on the Internet that "could" have been missenterpreted

that's the point I'm trying to make, however unsuccessfully...

Thanx Queen_Sindel for explaining what I mean. No, I'm sure nobody would throw tomatos, eggs or shoes :lol: But I think, they would not go to his panels, take the photoshoots with him and get the free autograph from him.

planning ahead of time to go to a talk you have no intention of enjoying and walking out with a group of friends, organised, disrespectful protest

Okay, one question, where do you read that sheepyie and others would have planned to have an "organised walk-out" at his panels? She said that they wouldn't attend to his panels. For me, that's something completely different. And because I know sheepyie in person, I know she meant it that way!

And also, I guess, we're all agreeing that words can be missinterpreted, but how else you'd suggest to show Brian that what he did was wrong? I mean, it's easy to show appreciation for a person (by clapping, cheering, whatever), but if words don't work, how you show your discontent? Or should people who are upset by his behaviour just let it go while his fans can keep defending and praising him?

Sorry, IMO everyone has the right to express their feelings, as long as it's in a decent way, and showing their discontent by simply not attending to his panels or having his autograph, I think, it's just that...

*just my two cents*

Edited by Chayiana

t's fine I guess, we can play word scemantics and talk about language barriers and perhaps people are just expressing their opinions but I'm also expressing mine and I have a feeling everybody in this post knows enough to know what's rude and those that would find a planned walkout acceptable have no grounds being this shocked and offended by three 140 character announcente on the Internet that "could" have been missenterpreted

that's the point I'm trying to make, however unsuccessfully...

And you're making a big deal out of a 51 word comment back on page 6 that also "could" have been misinterpreted. Just sayin'.

I think you've successfully made your point. I think everyone has. It's rather a moot point on both sides really, as BJS isn't coming, and there will be no mass protest or walking out. I feel bad for those who wanted him to come. I've had my favorite guest cancel on me in the past, and I know how gutting it can be. SGU is a sensitive topic under the best of circumstances. Perhaps it's better that we all agree to disagree and move on.

Protest during the panels and not go to the panels are quite different, is the point

Didn't we have it down meanwhile that this difference came up due to language problems and a simple misunderstanding/different interpretation? :D

If you think that a group of friends agreeing that they don't want to see someone and leave the room together is an unfair protest then (coming back to an earlier question of yours) yes, unfortunately you and I (and possibly some others) do have different definitions there.

If we'd be talking about someone planning to ruin a panel on purpose by staying in the room, making loud comments and being generally disruptive I'd be with you, that would be an unfair protest.

But I agree with nakedwesley, it is best to agree to disagree. This is really all I was trying to reach anyway. :D

Can we all have cake now? :( Rhi? :lol:

Looks like it is really needed QS!

We still havent met yet have we? lol Well, so far they have just had lemon cake at Twi-Prom Brum,

Bellaandedwardmeadowcake.jpg

lemon at ET2

(same as new years cake, cant find a pic)

and CML,

SpongeBobCrewPants.jpg

and at New Years

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?filter=lf...mp;id=596967677

oh, and this bit of fun:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1885...mp;id=596967677

I guess they seem to like lemon! lol

but I made chocolate cake for Aiden for his birthday :P

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?filter=lf...mp;id=596967677

Is that enough cake talk :P

Oh my word! Just realised, 10 years of making cakes for a living and I have never been asked to make a stargate cake! :P

Spongebob! Yay! ^_^

I wouldn't say no to lemon cake either. :lol:

No, I don't think we have met yet. I wasn't at the Twilight events and I missed CM:L due to stalking Michael Sha... erm, due to being on holiday in California. :angel::whistling:

ah, but that is a worthwhile occupation ;)

I want cake now :D Not had any since New Years :(

I have had some lovely coffee and walnut :D

Dont eat cake though really lol

• Showmasters Admin

Hi all,

We have had the chance to get word it Brian and we have worked out where the confusion was.

This was Brian's first con and this is all very new to him. As such when he was booked he expected it to be just like a press junket where all the cast members are going to be there or at least most of the cast , so when it came to near the time and he found out that his other cast members were not attending, it was a bit of a shock to him. He felt he did not want to be there on his own , and that’s why he pulled out.

Now we have had the chance to talk about how things work and what to expect he is a lot more relaxed about the event and does really want to attend and meet you the fans ,so we will be seeing Brian at this event :-D

We know there was some misunderstanding with all this, but when you get to the bottom of it all, its all good and we can see that Brian is a stand up guy and we will all have a great with him.

We are excited to have him as a great guest from SGU and we are all looking forward to meeting him in the next few weeks. :blink:

Jason :WINCE: