Brian J Smith not coming according to his Twitter

elenmai

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colonel Ez, have you seen Brian's latest tweets?

His reaction "Wow - if you were a character on SGU I'd airlock you!" towards someone critizing the cancellation doesn't exactly help the situation of making people not see him as the bad guy.

I've seen it, i think the person who tweeted him should have expected an unfriendly reply, none of us know the ins and outs of this, its likely we never will - but to go off half spam and call the guy anything or tell him what he owes his career to is asking for trouble.

I maintain that all of this would look different with context, i dont feel we have the full facts

EDIT: woops, hit a filter there - hopefully "half spam" doesnt confuse people too much lol

Edited by Colonel_Ez

His reaction "Wow - if you were a character on SGU I'd airlock you!" towards someone critizing the cancellation doesn't exactly help the situation of making people not see him as the bad guy. Also cancelling on Twitter and not letting the organisers know beforehand does not make him look very professional either. Unfortunately this is part of the context we have right now.

I would find it extremely sad if the statement "no further Universe guests" was the reason why Brian decided not to attend. I have to agree with David: It is completely logical for me. As others have said, Stargate is a franchise and it would have been completely unrealistic to expect the focus to be on the youngest part of the franchise. Universe needs to grow. It took a while before there were Atlantis only events too.

Mark had posted that there will be SGU guests in the future by the way, in the very announcement that everyone keeps mentioning. :D

There is a large number of fans that have not accepted the show just yet, that was the reason for the post.

Some didn't even have a chance to do so. There's quite a number of German fans coming in for example - the show is not starting here before next week.

I was at another event when I got the news about the announcements for Chevron. I was beyond excited that David was coming. Others noticed my excitement, asked what happened and I told them. When I mentioned David the usual reaction was interest: "Have they announced someone else yet?" I only got a disrupted text message, so I didn't know Brian's name and had to reply: "One of the guys from Universe." Most fans I spoke to replied a variation of a flat: "Oh." and you could see the obvious disinterest coming in.

Still I've seen a lot of posts on other forums saying "hey, actually I wanted to give this guy a chance although I haven't seen the show yet." It wouldn't have been the first time that someone got interested in a show because they got lured in by an actor at an event. But now most people seem to think what sam, sheepyie and other have posted.

In my eyes Brian has blown a huge, huge chance to convince fans differently and win them over. Yes, it was him and not the show screwing up, but it will without a doubt fall back on the show too.

I really don't know what he thinks of us, the fans. Maybe he thinks we're hyenas being after his blood.

I have been at other shows were guests made their first appearance for a show. For example I've been at Ben Browder's first appearance at a Stargate show. The hostility towards the Mitchell character I've seen was pretty bad, and a lot of people were very vocal about it.

I've seen Ben at Farscape shows before, and you could really tell the difference. He was extremely uncomfortable. He even said on stage that he was still waiting for the red light of a sniper rifle to show up. Did he cancel last minute or insist on bringing the cavalry (let's say Claudia Black) along? No. He showed up and did his thing as good as he could.

Andee Frizzell was the only guest of Atlantis at another show... again no "I am only coming if..." Instead she was having fun with other guests she said she never met before.

i wonder if anyone who doesnt like it watched passed ep3?

If you dislike something right away after let's say 20 minutes, why force yourself to waste another 3 hours on it? :D

I can only speak for myself there. There are a few shows that have grown on me over time. But none of them I disliked that bad from the start like some feel about Universe.

i gave atlantis more episodes even though i didnt think it was all that compared to sg1, many series have ropey first seasons, ds9, next gen to name 2, i can understand the casual viewer but an sg fan imo would give it more than the pilot eps which is what eps 1-3 were, 1 story and it has robert carlye in it, did anyone see the mid season break, awesome end to the episode,

this was on his twitter "My going was conditional on other members of the SGU cast being there - not interested in going to an SGA/SG1 con"

massive shame but think this says alot imo

Jason has already posted about this twice:

i would also like to state that the agreement with Brian dose not have anything at all saying that other members for SGU have to be in attendance at the con for him to attend , so were this is coming from i really do not know and it is a really odd thing to say , also we would not have agreed to a agreement like this as we are not planning and never plan to run a only SGU event.

all i can say is it has never been told to us at any time that Brian had to attend the event with other cast members from SGU , also it was not asked for in the contract , also we would not have agreed to putting it into the contract ether as if another guest had to drop out of the event we could lose two guests as it would be binding in the contract so we would have ever agreed to this .

I haven't seen the contract myself, but the second part that I bolded makes total sense to me.

• Moderators

I just don't think it'd ever be possible for an organiser to say to a guest "well ok we guarantee that there'll be .." because there's so many variables to take into account with each individual guest.

So this certainly sounds like more of a personal choice on behalf of the guest, which is definitely a shame for the fans. Of course I don't agree with anyone being rude to him on Twitter or anywhere else as that's not going to do anyone any favours.

i gave atlantis more episodes even though i didnt think it was all that compared to sg1, many series have ropey first seasons, ds9, next gen to name 2, i can understand the casual viewer but an sg fan imo would give it more than the pilot eps which is what eps 1-3 were, 1 story and it has robert carlye in it, did anyone see the mid season break, awesome end to the episode,

Huge SG-1 fan here. Actually I even was a fan of the movie. *ducks* Yet I didn't make it past episode 1 myself. And a lot of the old school fans did not get much more far. I think actually that's the problem, the newer fans seem to be a lot more excited.

For me it is missing everything that I loved and treasured of Stargate. To me it feels like they found a concept and decided to try and get more viewers in by slapping it into the SG franchise.

I always say I can accept it as a sci fi series. Not like, but accept. But for me it just is not Stargate. I started with the original show because of RDA and was intrigued how well they built up on the concept from the movie. I gave the new show a chance because of Robert Carlyle and because I wanted to like it, but unfortunately the sparks just did not fly.

His reaction "Wow - if you were a character on SGU I'd airlock you!" towards someone critizing the cancellation doesn't exactly help the situation of making people not see him as the bad guy. Also cancelling on Twitter and not letting the organisers know beforehand does not make him look very professional either. Unfortunately this is part of the context we have right now.

I would find it extremely sad if the statement "no further Universe guests" was the reason why Brian decided not to attend. I have to agree with David: It is completely logical for me. As others have said, Stargate is a franchise and it would have been completely unrealistic to expect the focus to be on the youngest part of the franchise. Universe needs to grow. It took a while before there were Atlantis only events too.

Mark had posted that there will be SGU guests in the future by the way, in the very announcement that everyone keeps mentioning. :D

There is a large number of fans that have not accepted the show just yet, that was the reason for the post.

Some didn't even have a chance to do so. There's quite a number of German fans coming in for example - the show is not starting here before next week.

I was at another event when I got the news about the announcements for Chevron. I was beyond excited that David was coming. Others noticed my excitement, asked what happened and I told them. When I mentioned David the usual reaction was interest: "Have they announced someone else yet?" I only got a disrupted text message, so I didn't know Brian's name and had to reply: "One of the guys from Universe." Most fans I spoke to replied a variation of a flat: "Oh." and you could see the obvious disinterest coming in.

Still I've seen a lot of posts on other forums saying "hey, actually I wanted to give this guy a chance although I haven't seen the show yet." It wouldn't have been the first time that someone got interested in a show because they got lured in by an actor at an event. But now most people seem to think what sam, sheepyie and other have posted.

In my eyes Brian has blown a huge, huge chance to convince fans differently and win them over. Yes, it was him and not the show screwing up, but it will without a doubt fall back on the show too.

I really don't know what he thinks of us, the fans. Maybe he thinks we're hyenas being after his blood.

I have been at other shows were guests made their first appearance for a show. For example I've been at Ben Browder's first appearance at a Stargate show. The hostility towards the Mitchell character I've seen was pretty bad, and a lot of people were very vocal about it.

I've seen Ben at Farscape shows before, and you could really tell the difference. He was extremely uncomfortable. He even said on stage that he was still waiting for the red light of a sniper rifle to show up. Did he cancel last minute or insist on bringing the cavalry (let's say Claudia Black) along? No. He showed up and did his thing as good as he could.

Andee Frizzell was the only guest of Atlantis at another show... again no "I am only coming if..." Instead she was having fun with other guests she said she never met before.

i wonder if anyone who doesnt like it watched passed ep3?

If you dislike something right away after let's say 20 minutes, why force yourself to waste another 3 hours on it? :D

I can only speak for myself there. There are a few shows that have grown on me over time. But none of them I disliked that bad from the start like some feel about Universe.

I watched all the aired eps of SGU and well as interesting as the mid season was, it was totally predictable and well, not making me gasp as i want the next episode here and now, where some of the atlantis and SG eps did. but again in the end that just the opinion of myself and im sure there will be people who want to ask "were we watching the same programme?" or what not

i was happy to meet Brian as he and David Blue are two characters that i liked from the show,

its a shame that Brian has received some harsh words from people on twitter and sure that wont encourage him to try and come to another event, although he could have let the organisers know first before posting on twitter

But whats done is done and i think this matter should be closed

Everyone is allowed their own opinions on the shows, and the guests. People should never be rude, as it will always cause trouble. The person shouldn't have been rude to him on twitter, but equally he shouldn't have replied like that, as he is a potential role model in the public eye. On balance, there are faults on both parts there. So he isn't coming, we don't really know why, we probably never will. I hope it doesn't affect people's views on the show, or the cast. I hope there's a replacement (if there's enough time), but if there isn't we still have an awesome con lined up for us courtesy of Showmasters/Massive Events. We need to move on before this causes any more fallout. :)

I've seen it, i think the person who tweeted him should have expected an unfriendly reply, none of us know the ins and outs of this, its likely we never will - but to go off half spam and call the guy anything or tell him what he owes his career to is asking for trouble.

Still I think there is no need to get personal like that. An unfriendly reply yes, that was to be expected. But what Brian wrote was totally uncalled for. First thing they told us when to deal with customers in my first job was "whatever they shout at you, don't lower yourself to their level." (EDIT: Or shortly summed up, what InYourHonour has already said. :D)

Brian did leave a very bad impression with his first tweet "not interested in going to a SG1/Atlantis con" with a lot of people. He did come across as arrogant and snotty for some. Like "I am too good to share the stage with the other guests." That may not have been the impression he wanted to leave, but he has left it. The fan that tweeted him and got this reaction is not the only one thinking this, he was just the first one to openly say it.

I do agree with you though, if we really had the full story from his side things may look differently. Although I am almost willing to buy the excuse he has... cause if he made that one up as a cover story this is one of the worst excuses I ever heard. ;)

We need to move on before this causes any more fallout. :)

You think this is fallout? ;) We had way worse discussions here before. :D

Edited by Queen_Sindel

Huge SG-1 fan here. Actually I even was a fan of the movie. *ducks* Yet I didn't make it past episode 1 myself. And a lot of the old school fans did not get much more far. I think actually that's the problem, the newer fans seem to be a lot more excited.

Yes this is the problem. People didnt give it a chance..one glance and that was it.

To others, it is simply 'the show that killed off atlantis' and again, given no chance.

Yes it started off a bit odd, but it got better, and ive been following stargate since the movie (that was the reason I started watching sg1 in 1997!), and I really like atlantis. Every show has its ropey eps and SGU is no different, yet it also has a couple of really good episodes.

Its because of the two reasons above that people are so hostile about it.

For me it is missing everything that I loved and treasured of Stargate. To me it feels like they found a concept and decided to try and get more viewers in by slapping it into the SG franchise.

I always say I can accept it as a sci fi series. Not like, but accept. But for me it just is not Stargate. I started with the original show because of RDA and was intrigued how well they built up on the concept from the movie. I gave the new show a chance because of Robert Carlyle and because I wanted to like it, but unfortunately the sparks just did not fly.

Im the same as you, been a stargate fan since the movie, i've seen everything they've put out, each show has had its characters and its epsiodes that i havent liked but i've always found more to like than to not.

I think alot of this (when i say "this" i mean the general feeling that SGA and SGU are against eachother) comes from the fact that they announced the cancellation of Atlantis at the same time as the launch of Universe, those two shows - and unfortunately small groups of their fans are always going to be against eachother, thats already caused problems online and, it has alot of the SGU people on high alert.

I hope it doesnt contribute to an issue like this in the future, i hope that this con (my first) is the beginning of me getting out there and meeting fans and cast/crew alike, but im more interested in meeting anybody from SGU than i am the majority of the SGA cast, which is just personal preference...

hehe im a fan of the movie also, I love it!

i thought/think SGU is like a cross between sg1/atlantis and battlestar but with so far less action so far, but maybe why i like it is because its what atlantis and voyager and to an extent enterprise should of been, about being stranded, not knowing, running low on supplies, the wrong ppl thrown together fighting to survive. im hoping the second part of the season is as good if not better though i hear a rumour about lucian alliance arriving as the bad guys which i think is a mistake and will lead to predictable and boring story lines, but we will see

@Queen Sindel

I just logged in, because I wanted to post the same as you did... :D

@Colonel Ez

Thing is, he still keeps being nasty against said person. He says, we don't know the circumstances why he pulled out... yes, true, but why he doesn't say what the reasons were exactly? At least to SM/ME? He's a grown up professional for god's sake! If he's upset about the way SM/ME are handling things, then he should just say it. If there's something else then he shouldn't have let the world know that he's not interested in a SG-1/SGA con (although he wouldn't have been the only one from SGU... afaik BamBam is very much involved in SGU as well, is he not?). But his whole behaviour with twittering the cancellation and not letting SM/ME know first is just childish... sorry. I'm really disappointed.

And I'm also disappointed because I get the feeling that people think those who don't like SGU (me being one of them) are not able to distinguish between the show/script/whatever and the actors... e.g. I've been to the HUB3 even most of the guests were from CoE, and I hated that series (I still do). But I'm very well aware of the fact that the actors are not to blame. In fact, I had very nice chats with them. They were great!

Do people really think we'd blame Brian for not liking the show itself?

Edit:

Gosh, you guys are really too fast for me... *lol* sorry, this post is meant to be a reaction to the posts from Queen Sindel and Colonel Ez at page 4! :D

Edited by Chayiana

@Colonel Ez

Thing is, he still keeps being nasty against said person. He says, we don't know the circumstances why he pulled out... yes, true, but why he doesn't say what the reasons were exactly? At least to SM/ME? He's a grown up professional for god's sake! If he's upset about the way SM/ME are handling things, then he should just say it. If there's something else then he shouldn't have let the world know that he's not interested in a SG-1/SGA con (although he wouldn't have been the only one from SGU... afaik BamBam is very much involved in SGU as well, is he not?). But his whole behaviour with twittering the cancellation and not letting SM/ME know first is just childish... sorry. I'm really disappointed.

I dont know what happened there so i cant comment, i can only assume the following: actors rarely book these things directly themselves, they have agents and managers who are paid to handle things professionally, usually by the time the actor has been able to say anything, its already been handled by them - has anybody asked Brian whether he tweeted his cancellation thinking it had already made its way to SM/ME?

As far as the circumstances, i also think he should say something, i still think he should, in regards to the person he's tweeting, hes just a guy and he got some abuse from said person, he responded in kind, maybe he shouldnt because hes in the public eye and should know better but... if somebody tweets me rude, i respond in kind

Yes, I agree with what Crippsy and you there, Ez. (May I call you Ez?)

Announcing the start of SGU along with the cancellation of Atlantis was the biggest mistake that could have been made in my eyes. It generated a lot of unnecessary hostility. Had the shows run for a year or two parallel like SG and Atlantis the situation would have been a lot different.

Yes this is the problem. People didnt give it a chance..one glance and that was it.

Giving chances is a very subjective thing. I need something, anything that sparks my interest to keep watching something. Probably a lot of people are the same. I wasn't exactly intrigued by the concept of Castle for example. But I bought the DVD because I like Nathan Fillion. Love the show now. For SGU I personally have nothing at all. I'm not even saying "I hate it" - more "I don't care."

I do agree though, the whole Atlantis cancellation may have made fans a lot more critical than they would have been otherwise.

I hope it doesnt contribute to an issue like this in the future, i hope that this con (my first) is the beginning of me getting out there and meeting fans and cast/crew alike, but im more interested in meeting anybody from SGU than i am the majority of the SGA cast, which is just personal preference...

We don't even know if this is really the source of the problem. I don't think we'll be up for a repeat there - at least I hope not. :lol: Mark has already said that there will be Universe guests in the future, so all you need to do is wait. :D Of course there may be the elusive one guest like RDA for SG, but only time can tell.

Everybody's got their favorites, and as heated as some discussions may get sometimes, 99.9 percent of the fans at conventions are really friendly. I hope we didn't scare you off there. ;) The girls I am usually with are "multi SG" for example: I'm an SG girl and like Mitchell best. My best friend loves Vala and McKay, another is a Ronon fangirl. Number 3 likes Ben Browder, but hates SG season 9 and 10. The other two like O'Neill (and that young lady loves Universe) and Major Lorne. So far no blood has been shed. :lol:

i thought/think SGU is like a cross between sg1/atlantis and battlestar but with so far less action so far, but maybe why i like it is because its what atlantis and voyager and to an extent enterprise should of been,

I hear those comparisons a lot.

I tried to get into the new Battlestar and did not like it, and Voyager is the Trek series I liked least too. So looks like I simply personally have a problem with that concept. :lol:

@Queen Sindel

I just logged in, because I wanted to post the same as you did... ;)

Good, then I am making sense. :lol: I am suffering from a stomach virus at the moment, so I am in my own little world sometimes.

Edit:

Gosh, you guys are really too fast for me... *lol* sorry, this post is meant to be a reaction to the posts from Queen Sindel and Colonel Ez at page 4! :D

Yeah, discussions on here usually go that way. :lol:

Edited by Queen_Sindel

SNIP

Yeah, call me Ez - most do, no not scared just, dissapointed at the situation, cancellation and reaction - i'm a fan of all SG but ive been more involved in the fandom with SGU. I run the HiatusProject live chats for SGU fans during the shows hiatus, we've had guests from the show come along, amoung them Brian J Smith. so im very supportive of the cast.

If im coming over as to negative over here its not intended its just my small efforts to try make sure BJS doesnt get the fuzzy end of this particular lolly pop.

Convention newb that i am, is it likely Brian will get replaced at this late stage? or is it more likely the con will remain a 5some?

• Moderators

Convention newb that i am, is it likely Brian will get replaced at this late stage? or is it more likely the con will remain a 5some?

Anything's possible really, although the closer to the event the less likely it is. Doesn't mean it won't happen, and generally the organiser very rarely says 'this is definitely it' ..

Bummer that he is not going.

Brian did leave a very bad impression with his first tweet "not interested in going to a SG1/Atlantis con" with a lot of people. He did come across as arrogant and snotty for some. Like "I am too good to share the stage with the other guests." That may not have been the impression he wanted to leave, but he has left it. The fan that tweeted him and got this reaction is not the only one thinking this, he was just the first one to openly say it.

This is the problem with the 'typed word'. It may lead misinterpretation. I can see why peple have took it like that. I have to admit that on first reading I read it as that he has no interest in going to an event that may appear to him be to mainly concenrating on SG1/SGA with a 'token' person thrown in from SGU. Obviously I know thats not the case and it is a Stargate con supporting all series. However if that is his line of thought then I can understand his reluctance to attend. He may be a shy person and not want to 'promote' a new series on his own, especially one that appears to be less than well received.

Has he been to any con's before? He may not have considered the new series/ease them in concept. I am guessing he didn't consult David Blue about his experience at the last one either which is a shame.

Awesome scene that would that be, i think mitchell, jack and shepherd, sitting htere in the corner watching while trying so hard to keep up with them, just turn to one another and play a game of cards ahhahahaha
Add Teal'c in the corner eating a tub of ice-cream!

Yeah, call me Ez - most do, no not scared just, dissapointed at the situation, cancellation and reaction - i'm a fan of all SG but ive been more involved in the fandom with SGU. I run the HiatusProject live chats for SGU fans during the shows hiatus, we've had guests from the show come along, amoung them Brian J Smith. so im very supportive of the cast.

Thank you. :D

Ah, okay. Then I know who you are. :lol: I know about the chats, just never had the chance to be at one.

If you had prior contact with Brian of course your picture of him is a bit more different (and possibly complete) than ours.

Honestly speaking I kind of hate Twitter. :lol: If Brian had posted a complete statement "hey, I don't feel comfortable going to the con" and posted his reasons a little longer things may have looked a lot different.

Like what Rachel Luttrell posted on her website in a similar situation a couple of weeks ago. But there is only so and so much you can post with 160 characters, and that can get over very wrong.

(EDIT: I type too slow. :lol:)

If im coming over as to negative over here its not intended its just my small efforts to try make sure BJS doesnt get the fuzzy end of this particular lolly pop.

Don't worry, you're not coming over too negative. You're passionate about the subject, just like everyone else. Your passion is just different than that of some that have replied. :lol:

It is possible that there will be a replacement, but I wouldn't count on it. If we still get a replacement it will be a nice surprise that way. :lol:

Edited by Queen_Sindel