nicky

finally saw it in 3d and was very disappointed, i was expecting it to be screaming off the screen at me and that only happened for brief moments, some scenes were not 3d at all it seemed, like watching dark knight with the imax bits popping up.

also on second viewing i was really bored in many parts of the plot, its like watching 20 other movies mixed together. pretty rubbish overall and seems to go on forever

however the special effects are brilliant amazing if you think most of the film is completely cgi,and the 3d in places is impressive but no where near what the hype was. if a dragon thing swoops across the screen i wanna see its wing fly out at me, we got none of that at all

best part of the movie is stephen langs colonel who is so badass, love his scenes especially when he kicks the door down without a mask and just opens fire whilst everyone else is scrambling for there masks. brilliant character lol

also on second viewing i was really bored in many parts of the plot,

Why did you see it a 2nd time if you were disappointed by it?

first time 3d was sold out so had to see in 2d, really wanted to see the 3d after all the hype, was ok but like beauwolf some of the trailers in 3d were better. the world was 3d (in most scenes) which was impressive but like I said i want things coming off the screen aswel and this rarely happened.

ive also got a cineworld card.

Edited by timelord81r

• 2 weeks later...

finally saw it in 3d and was very disappointed, i was expecting it to be screaming off the screen at me and that only happened for brief moments, some scenes were not 3d at all it seemed,

The 3D worked better in some scenes than others but Cameron doesn't like the kind of gimmicky 3D where stuff comes leaping out of the screen just for the sake of it, he uses it to give depth to the scene, as if you're looking through a window and I think it works best that way and was very effective in some places. Strange slightly surreal effect though and more tiring on the eyes plus it dulls the image so the colours don't make as much an impact as they would without the glasses but interesting all the same.

also on second viewing i was really bored in many parts of the plot, its like watching 20 other movies mixed together. pretty rubbish overall and seems to go on forever

Well I have to completely disagree. Sure it's not the most original film ever but I've seen it 3 times in 3D and could happily watch it again. The time just flew by, no part is/was boring in the slightest.

If anything it wasn't long enough for me and I can't wait for the blu-ray which will hopefully have some extended scenes in the middle where Jake is learning about the Na'vi. I've read some of this stuff was cut and may be put back in.

Each to their own I guess. There was a lot of hype surrounding it and nothing can ever really live up to that kind of expectation but it made a big impact on me from a visual and technical point of view.

its better than the lovely bones which was pretty rubbish, was looking forward to it but its just blah, you know the entire plot from the trailer, there is hardly any suspense, a few this is getting silly m9oments, like her caring more about her first kiss than catching her killer! big disapointment, the only thing left to find out is what happens to the killer, and even that was silly, lots of symbilism in this film but not much substance, decent acting all round though and some nice visuals

back to avatar lang is just awesome in it!!!

• 4 weeks later...

just saw this description of avatar on facebook and i completely agree with it, best scene

"I thought the most epic part of Avatar was when Jake and company were stealing the helicopter from the base. I thought Quaritch would get the guards and run after them in one of those dramatic escapes you always see. Instead, he decides that air is for panzies, kicks open a submarine door, and shoots at them with an assault rifle and then his pistol while holding his breath."

• 2 months later...

Thought I was the last person on the planet to see this when my mate at work lent me the DVD but when I took it back into work, all apart from one guy in my team havn't seen it!!

Doubt that was the same when Star Wars was the top grossing film, just goes to show that the 3D revenue helped the film do so well.

Enjoyed it in surround sound etc, but thoroughly agree with Nicky's first post, was thinking the same thing during the film.

Imagine if Greenpeace funded Cameron to do a remake of Dances With Wolves and The Last Samurai but with a sci-fi spin - do all that and you get Avatar. Also throw in the cliche Vietnam War allegory of a primtive race fighting a battle against a high tech army - Cameron already did this in Aliens.

Was it just me but although I thought the effects were amazing, I found that some of the beasts (the elephant and tiger type things) just looked CGI and not really an improvement from phantom menace technology. But aside from that the rest of pandora and the Navi in particular were extremely well done.

Edited by TonytheCylon

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

In an interview to promote the "special edition" re-release of Avatar, director James Cameron revealed that not only will the upcoming Collector's Edition Blu-ray include this extended version, but also a more expanded, "alternate reality version" of the film that is a full 16 minutes longer than the original.

The new footage in the Special Edition includes a scene focusing on the death of one major Na'vi character, and a hunt for one of Pandora's creatures in a "rousing action-adventure, pulse-pounding kind of scene," said Cameron.

This is the addition to buy not the first and I hoped this would have the 3d disc but it dosent will still have to wait for that.

Fox Pathé Europa has issued a press release announcing Avatar: Collector's Edition in France for the last quarter of 2010. List price is 29.99 euros. Reportedly, it will consist of three BDs, with the extended version of James Cameron's sci-fi epic, and will include "hours of never-before-seen, exclusive bonus content."

However, no mention is made of the inclusion of a Blu-ray 3D version of the movie.

The studio will also release this collector's edition in a limited, numbered deluxe boxset (list price, €149.99). Note that this may not be available in all territories

Panasonic marketing executives have confirmed to TWICE that the electronics maker will be the exclusive launch partner of 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment for the 3D Blu-ray Disc release of Avatar in "early December." Thus, the 3D BD of James Cameron's sci-fi epic will only be available to buyers of a Panasonic 3D Viera plasma TV.

Exact details and conditions of this promotional offer are still to be announced. It is not known whether buyers of Panasonic Blu-ray players or home theater systems would be eligible for an Avatar 3D Blu-ray.

The duration of this exclusivity arrangement has not been specified either, but The Digital Bits ventures that it could be "as long as a year or more."

Victor Carlson, Panasonic's consumer marketing VP, said that Panasonic is working on a plan to make the Avatar 3D Blu-ray Disc available to customers who have already purchased a Panasonic 3D Viera TV, in order to "do the right thing" for its early-adopter customers. However, details on this initiative are still being worked out as well.

"For the consumer, there is really no better way to experience 3D in the home than with this particular disc," said Carlson. "This is the perfect marriage between this blockbuster made for 3D and what we think is the ultimate home entertainment system for enjoying 3D using our TV sets."

Carlson said that this bundle would provide consumers who are on the fence "a really great incentive to make the purchase while giving them a fantastic piece of content to watch on the television set." However, in his opinion what makes a difference in a potential buyer is "the entire package of what the Panasonic plasma has for the consumer."

Getting nearly as bad as Lucasfilm for different versions and fleecing the punters.

i cant believe they are rereleasing it in the cinema only 8 months after the original release and at the same time as the reissue of the dvd, so in 8 months we got 4 cinema versions and 2 dvd versions, and im sure more to come, thats outrageous, its worse than lucas!!!! even more so as the movie isnt all that good, were as in the phantom menaces case ppl overhyped it and then said it wasnt that good (i thought/ think it is good baring a few big hick ups) avatar has been so so so far over rated its unbelievable, its not a bad film but its not that good either, yes great action and effects, but the story? and the overuse of cgi? lucas got hounded for having almost a total cgi environment, avatar is far more inclined to this than the star wars prequels. at least watching those you dont feel like your watching 20 other movies rolled into one like avatar,

still stephen langs baddie is awesome!!

and what does an alternate reality version mean exactly?

• 1 month later...

finally watched this yesterday at the IMAX in Birmingham and i must say that it is very overrated, good effects and visuals but the novelty of that wears off quickly, some ok action scenes but in general a poor unoriginal story with preachy environmental overtones that started to p**s me off so it made me want to route for Stephen Lang's army in defeating the giant smurfs

Edited by the dude

Jimbo is currently considering directing a new movie version of Cleopatra with Angelina Jolie in the role(Elizabeth Taylor starred in the original) ...I guess Jolie wants to make up for Alexandra? The new Cleopatra movie has already been scripted by Brian Hegland (Payback, L.A. Confidential) and is the only project outside of Jimbo's own creations that he is currently considering. Cameron would make this film before he moves on to Avatar 2...which I'd rather he didn't make.

• 1 month later...

found this review, was like reading my mind lol

"Let's say that you're a successful filmmaker with a pretty good track record for directing blockbuster hits. Your last feature was, at the time, the most expensive motion picture ever produced. Early buzz predicted it to be a financial failure, but you defied the naysayers. Somehow, you managed to tap into the cultural zeitgeist at just the right moment. Not only did that movie become the biggest box office hit of all time (by wide margin), it also went on to be nominated for and win a bunch of major prestigious awards. Anxiety has got to set in at that point. How can anyone top an achievement like that? Well, if you're James Cameron, you spend the next dozen years putzing around, biding your time, and maybe directing the occasional IMAX documentary just to give yourself something to do. Then, when the moment is right, you go out and do the exact same thing all over again.

Almost as if to make the challenge more difficult for himself, Cameron did it this time with a nearly-unmarketable concept, no major stars to back him, and the worst script he's ever written. How the hell did he pull this off? I can't figure it out.

'Avatar' has thus far earned about $887 trillion at the box office. Odds are, you've probably already seen the film, perhaps a few times. Or, you didn't see it, in which case you probably don't have much interest in it in the first place. In either case, I'll try to keep the plot recap short.

In the late 19th Century, a Civil War soldier who's been injured in battle accepts a posting to a remote outpost in the untamed Western frontier, hoping to "find himself." He soon meets and becomes ingratiated with a tribe of Native American Indians. He's so enamored by the natives that he falls in love with one of their women and abandons his military career. He must learn the tribe's language, must undergo its rituals, and must survive a dangerous test of courage by hunting buffalo. He's not only accepted into the tribe, but soon proves himself to be its very best warrior. He quickly becomes its leader, and must use his superior white man skills to defend the helpless natives from his former military colleagues, who have gone mad with greed and are trying to drive the natives out of their land.

Oh, wait a minute. I'm sorry, that's the plot of Kevin Costner's 1990 Oscar winner and blockbuster hit 'Dances with Wolves'. What was I thinking? Let me try this again.

In the distant future, a space marine who's been injured in battle accepts a posting to a remote outpost on the untamed alien moon of Pandora, hoping to "find himself." He soon meets and becomes ingratiated with a tribe of blue Thundercats called the Na'vi who look, dress, and act suspiciously just like Native American Indians. He's so enamored by the natives that he falls in love with one of their women and abandons his military career. He must learn the tribe's language, must undergo its rituals, and must survive a dangerous test of courage by riding a dragon. He's not only accepted into the tribe, but soon proves himself to be its very best warrior. He quickly becomes its leader, and must use his superior white man skills to defend the helpless natives from his former military colleagues, who have gone mad with greed and are trying to drive the natives out of their land.

I think I now see where I got confused. It's as if Cameron dug up a copy of the 'Wolves' script and did a simple Find/Replace on character and other proper names."