Battle For Christmas Number One

GoldenGreen

There is a further dimension to this, Rage Against The Machine are signed to Epic which is a subsidiary of Sony. Joe McElderry is signed to Syco Music which is also a subsidiary of Sony so whoever gets the number one Sony wins!

The other thing is it wouldn't surprise me if Cowell manipulated this whole thing to start with. Joe not only has the weeks of promotion he got through the TV series behind him, this battle for number one is getting more press attention and he comes off like the victim of a vindictive nasty internet campaign which might just push more people into buying his single to support him.

Sounds a bit far fetched maybe but stranger things have happened!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not as if X-Factor are even blocking a decent Christmas song getting to number 1, lets face it, when was the last time there was a decent Christmas song released? :P

I quote my original post "decent" ;)

Simon Cowell wins again! Tell you what, I wouldn't mind being Simon Cowell lol!

Who "actually" sits in front of the Radio every Sunday and totally cares about who is number 1? Who whole heartedly "CARES" who is number 1 every week? :thumbup:

I do!!!!! I arrange my entire life around listening to the charts every Sunday.They are my life!!! :lol:

Nah just kidding :WINCE:

Who "actually" sits in front of the Radio every Sunday and totally cares about who is number 1? Who whole heartedly "CARES" who is number 1 every week?

Not me - I gave up on the charts years ago. {cue New World Symphony - or the Hovis theme, if you must} Aye, but when I were a lad, they had proper charts with real music in. Them were the days...

But seriously it won't affect me if the latest X-Factor swill is Christmas No.1, any more than it will affect me if somebody dumps a couple of hundred tonnes of rubbish on Eastbourne seafront. But in either case, I do think that they're venerable old institutions, and whilst they may be past their prime, they do deserve better than this.

Some of you say its a Simon Cowell thing.....Simon Cowell will have number ones all year round!

Will he still have number ones all year round? Whose pies does he metaphorically have a finger in? What other number ones has he had this year. (And please, spare me the "number twos" jokes ;) )

Actually, I don't have much of a beef with Cowell anyway - some of his opinions are spot on, and he does a fair amount of charity work. I dislike some of his attitude, and the power that he seems to have, but at least some of that is because the sheeplike public give him that power; can't blame him for taking it.

Its not as if X-Factor are even blocking a decent Christmas song getting to number 1, lets face it, when was the last time there was a decent Christmas song released?

"This should be No.1 because everything else is just as cr@p" - what a splendid argument. Can't we at least aspire to not just continually wallowing in mediocrity? Granted, since the media really started hyping the Christmas number one thing, the only decent ones have been charity singles (Band Aid re-releases and the Dunblane single) or the Queen single after Freddie popped his clogs, but maybe everybody has had enough. That and the irksomeness of the idea that it's the X-Factor winner's god-given right to have the worthless bauble labelled "Christmas No.1"

It's the fact that Joe DID work hard to win to be able to release a single, surely that means he deserves his 5 minutes of fame?

That depends on whether you view X-Factor as a musically valid endeavour and the winner of deserving of the prize on offer. I know plenty of acts who work a lot harder, and who would never get the breaks on X-Factor as their music wouldn't fit into the fairly narrow musical format they allow. Acts that as well as doing killer covers also write decent material themselves. And horror of horror can play instruments. I don't particularly see the fairness in somebody who can do a competent cabaret singer's job of a variety of covers, many of which are old standards, or at least nouveau standards, is entitled to the perceived reward of a recording contract (and oh how successful that's been for past winners) and a Christmas no.1. Make him sweat a bit for his privilege.

There is a further dimension to this, Rage Against The Machine are signed to Epic which is a subsidiary of Sony. Joe McElderry is signed to Syco Music which is also a subsidiary of Sony so whoever gets the number one Sony wins!

So? Whoever finishes first in a Formula 1 race, the same tyre manufacturer wins, and people still get passionate about which driver and/or constructor wins. I don't think anybody is worried about Sony making a few quid.

I just find it funny that Five Live had Rage on there to perform at breakfast, and asked them to censor the song.

Obviously they didn't :blink: .. where's the bleep button these days!

Yes, took them four utterances of the "foul" word before they realised, and quickly faded them out. I'm no fan of RATM (I find them far too earnest and shouty and po-facedly right-on), but they certainly made me laugh this morning. :D

[

So? Whoever finishes first in a Formula 1 race, the same tyre manufacturer wins, and people still get passionate about which driver and/or constructor wins. I don't think anybody is worried about Sony making a few quid.

What I meant by that is despite this whole Rage Against the Machine Vs Joe McElderry thing being billed as a fight back by the anti establishment brigade, the fact is that Sony's huge multi national corporate pockets are being lined whoever reaches number one, which to me does kind of defeat the purpose of what this thing is apparently all about.

What I meant by that is despite this whole Rage Against the Machine Vs Joe McElderry thing being billed as a fight back by the anti establishment brigade, the fact is that Sony's huge multi national corporate pockets are being lined whoever reaches number one, which to me does kind of defeat the purpose of what this thing is apparently all about.

Actually what I find even more ironic is the RATM song contains the repeated line "F*** you, I won't do what you tell me" - although if a website campaign tells me to buy the song, apparently I should do. :blink:

I'm not saying that one's as bad as the other, but as somebody else once said, "Blind faith in your leaders, or in anything, will get you killed." Or at least rather disappointed, anyway.

I bought the RATM song, happily. It will make an excellent change to have the rebellious classic stand up to X Factor. Even if it doesn't win at least it was a race and not a predictable walk over. But so far Rage still holds the number one spot, and number three. For those wondering why there are two one is the edited and one is the explicit. Come on Rage !

Gutted, I wanted Joe to be number one, he's a much more talented artist with a much better voice and song in my opinion. Joe McElderry's The Climb is still my number one Christmas song anyway, he's awesome and was at least repectful to Rage Against The Machine by wishing them the best of luck. Rage congratulated Joe but it was so meant to patronise him :/

Edited by Doctor Who

Joe's a karaoke singer :D

I've never heard Karaoke singers of such a high standard, you must let me know where you go when you listen to people doing Karaoke. :P Haha, I'm a massive fan of The X Factor anyway. I love their finalists and some of my favourite artists include; JLS, Alexandra Burke, Leona Lewis and Joe McElderry. Joe is awesome, his version of Don't Stop Believing was fantastic and there wasn't one performance of his which was bad. He's a truly consistent and talented performer. :(

Edited by Doctor Who

• Moderators

Gutted, I wanted Joe to be number one, he's a much more talented artist with a much better voice and song in my opinion. Joe McElderry's The Climb is still my number one Christmas song anyway, he's awesome and was at least repectful to Rage Against The Machine by wishing them the best of luck. Rage congratulated Joe but it was so meant to patronise him :/

Not sure you can really compare voices/songs though. Surely they're both completely different genres, and therefore 'better' depends on your personal preference? I'm assuming from the sort of music you seem to like that Rage wouldn't ever be high on your like list :(

Plus it's not Joe's song anyway. I wouldn't have minded if he'd got to no.1 at all, but it does say a lot that he got so many votes to win the show and yet couldn't get to no.1 in the charts. Makes you wonder how much it differs between those who just watch the show and those who genuinely follow the careers post-X Factor.

Joe's a karaoke singer :(

I've never heard Karaoke singers of such a high standard, you must let me know where you go when you listen to people doing Karaoke.

Come to my local pub i'd be happy to take you, some of the people on karaoke there have the most amazing voices!!! There are also a lot of unsigned people and "wedding" singers as they always say on the x factor that have voices just as good as or better. It's fixed anyway Leona Lewis was talent scouted and brought in for the competition she didn't just audition.

Not sure you can really compare voices/songs though. Surely they're both completely different genres, and therefore 'better' depends on your personal preference? I'm assuming from the sort of music you seem to like that Rage wouldn't ever be high on your like list :D Plus it's not Joe's song anyway. I wouldn't have minded if he'd got to no.1 at all, but it does say a lot that he got so many votes to win the show and yet couldn't get to no.1 in the charts. Makes you wonder how much it differs between those who just watch the show and those who genuinely follow the careers post-X Factor.

Yeah, that's very true, hence why I said 'in my opinion' lol :P. But yeah, I'm not a fan of Rage's type of music, it just sounds like noise to me lol. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against anyone who likes it but I don't agree with the campaign and am disappointed that we have such a non-Christmassy Christmas song. Ah well, not everyone can be pleased and I'm not this year lol. Personally, I love Joe's version of The Climb but I do feel that he'd have had a better chance of getting to number one with his version of Don't Stop Believing by Journey, I love Journey. I like those sort of old rock bands like Kansas for example too, I just don't like the screamy ones who swear for the sake of it. I bought 2 copies of The Climb to try and get it to number one but it didn't work and I agree, it does make you think. I'm definitely one who follows their careers post X Factor. :(

Edited by Doctor Who

• Moderators

It is one thing I do like about shows like X Factor - that sometimes it will encourage people to go and seek out bands they'd never heard of before etc. Like Simon said Journey were not well known - I always thought they were, but obviously some hadn't heard of them so it's good if they get some exposure from it.

I'm so glad there's been a successful resolution to the years of sheep/zombie like 'Must buy XFactor record....must buy XFactor record...' nonsense. None of them have been 'Christmassy', they've all been MOR pap.

How about a campaign next year for the return of Mr Blobby? Or even better - Mr Hanky

Just to let you all know, I don't like The X Factor to try and be a sheep 'cause nearly all of my friends actually hate the show. Most of the things I like tend to be things that no-one else likes which is unfortunate, I wish some of them did. :(

Edited by Doctor Who

All I can say is that it is obvious with what has happened that there are a greater number of people who dislike the whole reality show/X-Factor set up than some may have thought. So many voted on the show, yet millions of them did not buy the single.

The whole Rage Against The Machine campaign was set up as a joke group on Facebook because of the lyrics. What was initially a joke then gathered so much pace that people joined in against the whole reality show industry - something that is starting to die off - rather than the singer himself. Simon Cowell proved he is a sad little man - albeit a rich one - as he said the campaign was a bullying one against Joe.

Newsflash Mr Cowell...it was against you and the way you use people to line your own pockets.

I hope Joe has a long and successful career, but the song choice was poor.

Personally, if I was Joe, I would have told Mr Cowell to politely refer to the Rage lyrics!!!! :dance:

RATM WON! ...

and raised £600k for charity unlike that simon cowell tripe!

Think you need to check your figures. They sold 500k downloads at 99p each. Given the various different parties that have to take their cut out of this, in no way will that lead to 120% of the total sales amount going to charity...