• Glee
    • Aliens trilogy
    • Smallville
    • Bones

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, who all has actually seen Glee, since it's not premiered in England yet? It's only got one series aired and already it's one of America's most popular shows. They've already put out TWO soundtrack CDs, and there are so many party themes to choose from it's kind of ridiculous. And the characters are so big that anyone ME got would be incredible! Give the show time here in England to get just as popular (as I predict it will) and this con will be massively popular! I already know of several of my friends (who are fellow con-goers) who have watched Glee since it first started gaining popularity in America. This show is definitely something to invest in a con for!

• Moderators

But is it really a con type of show though? I think that's the main question surrounding it.

Yes, it's popular, but so are a lot of other shows that simply don't translate to successful conventions unfortunately.

(for example, I'd like to go to the Red Dwarf convention but it clashes with the British Grand Prix).
A nightmare I am currently having as well :(

Ok, who all has actually seen Glee,
Never seen it. Not sure what it is. For me glee is when I manage to cook roast potatoes to that special level of golden crispness!

But is it really a con type of show though? I think that's the main question surrounding it.

Yes, it's popular, but so are a lot of other shows that simply don't translate to successful conventions unfortunately.

YES YES YES :(

shush david =[ lol

another high school show, snore lol, to be fair the promos were mildly amusing and im sure it will be popular for if nothing else being a show that has pretty ppl in it but how can it have so much love on this forum when its not even aired yet? it saddens me that we lost shows so good like firefly (yes im still hurting) yet teenage high school drama comedies get churned out daily it seems.

ok rant over lol, this might turn out to be an ok show but it wont work as a con i dont think not unless somehow it becomes the in thing as lotr and heroes did, but i doubt it, and if we get a glee con before a trek con then i know the dark side has taken over at the sm's leadership ;-) lol

flashforward seems to have a strong following, im liking it also but if you like this check out paradox, just as good bbc1 drama!

Edited by timelord81r

It's not about a dark side taking over, its just SM working on projects that sell and are likely to be sucessful.

The teenage audience are getting more attracted to these kind of events and therefore SM are going to want to cater for their particular wants.

That's just my opinion anyway :)

• Moderators

I think the viability of a Glee con would be better discussed after it has actually started airing on tv here - right now there's no way to tell what the possible UK audience for it would be. Maybe it would attract millions of fans who would love to go to a con, maybe it will struggle to get any viewers at all... we can't know!

(for example, I'd like to go to the Red Dwarf convention but it clashes with the British Grand Prix).
A nightmare I am currently having as well :unsure:

Ok, who all has actually seen Glee,
Never seen it. Not sure what it is. For me glee is when I manage to cook roast potatoes to that special level of golden crispness!

Sounds scrummy,

as I define a successful Sunday spud as one which doesn't chip a tooth,

any tips.........samples!

Oh and I have no idea what or who a "glee" is but I'm pretty much with the timelord on this one,

I just don't fit the modern Showmasters demographic!

• Moderators

Some of the choices I think would probably be better off either as shows to just get guests from for Collectormania/LFCC events, or as shows to /firstly/ get a guest or two for CM/LFCC to judge the interest, and possibly later run a specific con.

The existing cons are all for shows that - in the broadest use of the term - are 'sci fi' to some extent. I would adore guests from things like the CSIs/Bones/etc; I don't have any experience to know how well a full con for shows like this would go down (I think they'd need 'big' guests to sell well, who might be easier to get for a signing event than for a con.)

Hopefully, with all the support its getting we can have a Merlin Convention this year. Have met some of the cast and they are really friendly people.

I second that!!! :lol:

I've been at the BAFTA event in November, they're indeed very friendly and accessible. And especially after that epic series finale yesterday a Merlin con would be the greatest thing ever! And also something to get us over the next 9 months without Merlin on telly... :lol:

Please, SM!!!

Section 1

Horror Con - You've said yourself that there isn't enough demand. Best to stick with horror guests at signing events.

Primeval - Considering the show got cancelled, even though it got back, the timing wouldn't be right for a 2010 con. See how it does when it comes back, but I don't think it's that popular.

Flashforward - The show's losing viewers every week. Far too risky. Try a guest or two out at a signing event.

Robin Hood - Cancelled now. Too late for anyone to really care.

Supernatural - Show that has gone from strength to strength. Proven fanbase in this country and around the world.

Charmed - Unless you can guarantee a main female lead or two, I think 2010 is far too late to be considering one.

24 - Not as popular as it used to be, but we've not had many 24 guests at signing events, and with a decent lineup it could be fairly successful.

Dexter - No proven track record in terms of a fanbase at signing events/cons. Could work to its advantage though, if there's demand to see first timers.

Section 2

Life on Mars / Ashes to Ashes - A couple of years too late to capitalise on LOM, and A2A is popular but I doubt enough to sustain a con.

Vampire Diaries - Again something unproven. Yes, it appeals to a similar market as the Twi fans but then will they all be able to afford this too?

James Bond - Always has its fans but can't see why it needs a con.

Star Wars or Empire Day - Same as above, unless you can get the obvious big names.

Lord Of The Rings - Give it a year or two, capitalise on The Hobbit, and it's a possibility.

Transformers - No idea.

Dexter - See above.

Battlestar Galactica - Too late really. We've already had most main cast (all?) over here.

Section 3

One Tree Hill - Not strong enough to warrant a convention of its own.

Merlin - Possibly. Seems to have a reasonable fanbase but, like Being Human, would people choose this over other ones?

Star Trek - Same as SW really.

Firefly/Serenity - No point with Hallowhedon.

Glee - Good fanbase but a very risky unproven one. Is it really a con type show?

Aliens Trilogy - We've had so many guests at signing events. Don't see the point.

Smallville - Popular but not hugely. Could do with some more at signing events.

Bones - You'd need one of the main two to guarantee sales, and even then I'm not sure it'd do huge business. Never had any cast members to judge it on.

With that said, I went for:

Supernatural

Dexter

Star Trek

To be honest, I think most of them wouldn't work well at all. I don't think you'd sell many tickets for most, and there's no point ending up with another Being Human type event etc.

There aren't many MUST ATTEND events there, and sadly I think most just wouldn't have enough demand.

David can i just say something flashforward actually gained more viewers. (and it went up by millions).

Hopefully, with all the support its getting we can have a Merlin Convention this year. Have met some of the cast and they are really friendly people.

Totally agree with this :huh:

On a slightly unrelated note, and jumping forward a year, 2011 marks the 10th anniversary of "Band of Brothers". Now I know some people who would be very interested in that one, especially as the cast members we've met so far have been really nice people.

Totally agree with this ^_^

On a slightly unrelated note, and jumping forward a year, 2011 marks the 10th anniversary of "Band of Brothers". Now I know some people who would be very interested in that one, especially as the cast members we've met so far have been really nice people.

band of brothers is one of the best if not the best mini series of all time, amazing series, I love it and the true story of easy.

Please get the actors and real life vets together for a con, I dont care where ill travel lol. sooner the better, some of the vets are very old, since the series many have fallen :-( RIP, true heroes, amazing series

im looking forward to the new series pacific though I wonder, how historically accurate will it be?