anyone see the sun today?

timelord81r

I think the fundamental problem here is that the writer is just not a fan.

I don't think this will affect Showmasters in anyway as they already have a solid base of convention goers who know what to expect and do not have a problem spending their hard earned cash on autos and photo shoots and whatever else is up for grabs.

If you don't get it, you don't get it.

:)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

The fact that most Sun readers will know George Takei from I'm A Celebrity rather than the cultural impact that he had with Star Trek pretty much says it all.

Nothing wrong with those that DO know him from that, but it explains the difference pretty well between readers and attendees.

stupid small minded people,like u said if u dont get it dont go,not everyone understands y we go to these events but so what,i love these events and i get to meet people ive always admired etc,if u have been to a few of these events u know not everyone is has talkative has they would like to be and some just dont want to talk but u have still met them and u still have there autograph,at the end of the day it is each to there own,i just wish other people could see it this way

Theres one or two people taking this quite personally as if it's a reflection on themselves when it should just be shrugged off. It's a event that got slated, many events do, especially in the niche market.

The only people who should be annoyed and ashamed are the idiots who actually pay money for, or give any money whatsoever towards, the Sun or any other type of paper where Katie Price getting rat arsed is the most important news on the planet.

Knowing the guests on hand, the no namers bit kind of discredits it right away - especially listing Barrowman who's quite the popular gent these days.

Edited by ComwWhite

I wish idiots like the journos that work for The Sun would stop knocking other peoples hobboes. What will they be on to next? Stamp Collectors? Train spotters?

The guests are people that we would like to meet, and yes we would all like to see guests like Harrison Ford, Will Smith etc, but they aren't interested in these things, but sadly the moronic journos don't seem to understand that!

• Moderators

Glad you found that as the silly scanning software had trouble stitching the scans together

Thanks for doing that :thumbup:

Interesting to have Virgo as the focus really.

Edited by DavidB

the sun clearly haven't got much evidence to suggest that several people were hacked off with the prices and with regards to how little conversation you could make with the likes of Shannan Doherty or John Barrowman, this was down to the large queues. If they had a lengthy conversation with everyone, then they never would have had time to give an autograph to everyone there. Especially John doing 2 photoshoots and a torchwood talk, it just wouldn't have been possible. John is also a very major guest, so you can't really imagine his autograph being cheaper. He is far more worldly known than the sports guests to be fair and the sports guests had shorted queues so people like Johnny Virgo had much more time to chat.

Thanks for doing that :thumbup:

No problem. I may redo it when I get home to tidy it up.

My favourite bit is "where a snapper wearing a Hawaiian shirt and microphone directs the operation with military precision". Made me grin although I am not sure Malcolm would appreciate being called a 'snapper'

Did they not do something similar with Music Mania or some event?

I can't remember if it was The Sun. But yes, pretty much the same thing happened with MusicMania.

It was in Heat magazine but they were mostly poking fun at ex-boyband members having no queues of people wanting to meet and greet them :thumbup:

Interesting to have Virgo as the focus really.

It makes sense to do so - they were able to get close to him for a decent picture they could use big, and they had time to talk to him for a couple of quotes.

Unfortunately if you have a press strategy encouraging both regional and national media the sad fact is regional media is going to be friendlier than national where they can go for cheaper angles for something entertaining to the masses - that's the trade off for getting large scale publicity, you risk the 'message' coming out being not what you'd hope. These stereotypes of stars running all the way to the bank and spoddy fans are easily perpetuated, even though we all know they're untrue.

All in all I don't think this is as catastrophic as people are making out. If you are the sort of person who thinks '£20?! To meet John Barrowman?!' then this was never going to be your event. If you love him in Torchwood though and never knew these events happened then actually now you're thinking 'wow, I'd quite like to go to summat like that'.

Just had a read of the artical through the link. At the end of the day, it's just one persons opinion, if another reporter has gone they may have written a possitive artical. I find it convenient that he found so many people to talk to who weren't haven't a good day. Also, I notice he didn't say anything about the other two actors in the Torchwood talk...making people think it was £20 just for John!

It's a shame really, I think most of us would agree this was one of the best cons of the year and one of the better venues, yet first we have that idiot (who shall remain un-named) from a curtain tv channel who upsets SM, and now this! Somehow it doesn't seem fair...hopefully kalma will come back to get them!

My favourite bit is "where a snapper wearing a Hawaiian shirt and microphone directs the operation with military precision". Made me grin although I am not sure Malcolm would appreciate being called a 'snapper'

I liked that bit as well but agree that Malcolm wouldn't appreciate being called a "snapper". Perhaps whoever wrote the article was jealous because Malcolm takes such good photos. :thumbup:

I was incensed by this article. I read the first paragraph and was able to determine the tone of the article. Unfortunatley my Dad is a Sun reader even though I despise the way it promotes itself as a family newspaper and then peddles smut and lies as fact. It sensationalises the most minor thing (look at last weekend following Copenhagen and Josh Herdman, who from what I understand is a very lovely young man and has never given the organisers any trouble). It was a biased and uninformative artcile which does nothing to stop the stereotyping that Science Fiction and Fantasy fans are 40 year old virgins living in their mothers basement! Its a community at these events and I personally have had some wonderful experiences with the staff, fans, and guests.

Yes, its expensive. I live in Manchester and travelled to LFCC in July and CM15 in Milton Keyes in June. I would not have done so if I was not passionate about the people I meet (I have a Stargate tatoo, you don't get much more devotion than that)

The Sun is an idiotic paper and needs to keep its nose out of things it dosent understand.

Edited by Tauri888

Having nothing better to do, I admit I signed up in order to post a reply.

I went through the lengthy registeration process, gave The Sun my email addy (*grrr*) and typed out a long reply. Clicked submit and saw ... "Your reply ahs been submitted to the moderators for approval" ... riiiiiiiight ...

Edit: Well, my apologies to The Sun! They have posted my reply after all.

Edited by Stenun

Well, I've now read the article (thanks for the link), and it might just be me, but it really seems focused negatively on John, really focused. Yes George and Virgo get a mention, but JB is used as the illustration for 'rip-off celebrity' almost constantly! Which is more than a little unfair, he definately wasn't the most expensive celeb there.

Maybe the guy was upset by the lack of chain-mail bikinis?!!?

Can sm take any legal action?

Since, presumably, they gave The Sun press accreditation (my understanding is this is what they've done previously) and since nothing they've said is particularly libellous, no.

SM has much more important things to worry about I'd say. This is all a storm in a teacup. :)